Post subject: Windrider
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:44 am 

you catch more flies with honey but you catch more honeys being fly

Medals: 8
Best Entrance (1) Creative (1)
1st Year (1) 2nd Year (1)
Blog: View Blog (0)

"So what you're telling me is that you have no idea how Ian fell?"

The lush black office chair made a threatening pop as Detective Barker leaned back and flipped through papers in a bland manila folder. It made Desmond's fists clench on the table, the cold metal handcuffs scraping against the wood. "I don't," Des reiterated for the fifth or sixth time that he had been asked that question. He could understand their suspicion. He was sure that the mall's rooftop camera hadn't caught anything but an entirely inconvenient shot of what had actually happened. He wasn't sure if he should be grateful for that or not. If it had captured the entire thing, he wasn't sure what they would even make of it. He wasn't sure what to make of it, himself. "...how is he?"

Det. Barker raised his head just slightly, his nose still buried in Desmond's file and looking at him from overtop his glasses. "Critical. He might never walk again," he pointed out, and Des felt his words get caught in his throat. "If he even survives. I suppose that's what happens when you take a fall from a four story building, isn't it Desmond?"

Des slammed his fists on the table and pushed himself to his feet. "I didn't ****ing do anything!" he yelled, holding his chained wrists in front of the detective's face. "And what the hell is this? Is this even legal?"

The door flew open, and Desmond swore loudly as he braced himself for being slammed face-first onto the table. Impact never came though, only a loud, demanding voice. "And exactly why is my client in handcuffs? He was not arrested, and has absolutely no grounds to be."

The tension in the air was tangible, shattering only at the sound of Desmond being relieved of his bindings. He disconnected at that point, letting himself be dragged out of the interrogation room and down the bland, unwelcoming hallway of Miami's police station. "God damn it, Des," Jeff hissed, dragging him by the arm out the glass double-doors and leading him to the lawyer's black SUV. When they were at the door, Jeff spun his dazed client around and looked him dead in the eye. "What happened?"

If Jeff had been just some lawyer, he would've been punched in the throat by now. "I don't know," Des stressed, dragging a shaking hand through his shaggy brown hair. "Look, I'm just going to walk home, alright? I'll be fine, there's probably some squad car getting ready to make sure I get home." Desmond didn't wait for an answer, shoving his hands in his pockets and taking long strides to get out of the parking lot as fast as possible.

The police would never believe him. Jeff would never believe him. He wasn't even sure his own family would believe him. How was he supposed to convince them that he never pushed Ian from the rooftop when the reality was inconceivable? No one would believe that Ian had practically flown backwards, seeming to stumble over his own two feet the entire five feet separating him from the edge of the building? How was anyone supposed to believe that when he wasn't even entirely sure he believed it himself?

_________Obscure__________Rules
__________Updates___________CF Guide
___________Contests___________Staff Contact
____________Ask the Staff________Posting Tutorial

__________Cirque du Creativité

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
 Post subject: Re: Windrider
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:10 am 

Medals: 6
Best Couple (1) Dedicated Partner (1)
Supporter (3) Contest Winner (1)
Blog: View Blog (6)

"Make it snappy. I have more for you to do when this is over." Nereus warned. Dimitri's father was not a patient man, or god, rather. His intentions were never clear, but rarely benevolent. Dimitri hated having to be his servant, but it was no matter of choice. He'd been forced to go to incredible lengths to please the god, even causing rifts between loved ones, Dimitri's greatest pillar of security.

"Yeah." Dimitri replied, a simple answer. Anything else more complex, and the god would get unhappy. Dimitri wasn't afraid of him, but he'd witnessed his wrath firsthand, and wished to avoid it. The demigod held his tongue back, despite wanting to say so many things. He was never any good at lying, and it hadn't grown easy to him to remain silent on his thoughts. Like his partnership here, he had no choice.

The two shared one final look before the god turned into nothing but a puddle, and then dissolved into a sewer drain. Dimitri was left with a relatively disapproving look on his face.

-----

If Dimitri had it his way, he likely wouldn't leave the northeast. The southeast, although it was where he was born, was far different when you went further south. Florida wasn't the state for Dimitri, that much was apparent to him. However, where there were people, Dimitri always felt somewhat in place. And where there was water, Dimitri felt even more in place. And there were tons of beaches in Miami.

Dimitri looked very out of place. His sleeves and pant-legs were virtually always long, even now, in the southern heat. Despite the anomaly, Dimitri didn't feel awkward, it wasn't a sensation he'd ever been introduced. What Dimitri did feel was a sense of guilt. He'd never been able to be deceitful or sneaky, it just wasn't a trait he held. But now he had to convince someone to work with him, and Dimitri couldn't bare to stand the thought of dragging another person into what he was in.

"Mornin'." Dimitri greeted, to several people, but in particular one person he'd been tasked to find. "Listen, I was wonderin', do you have a second?" Dimitri asked, his southern accent in flare like always.. It wasn't in particular a phrase he would greet strangers with. But Dimitri knew he wasn't going to be able to spin a false tale to this person. He didn't even know how much this person knew. All he knew for sure was his name was Desmond.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:26 am 

Grey-green eyes were drawn to the concrete a few feet in front of him for no particular reason other than to not look at anyone else while he knitted himself through the other people on the sidewalk. "Mornin'," one person greeted him in a long southern drawl. He tightened his mouth into somewhat of a polite smile and nodded in the man's general direction, but that didn't stop him from sidestepping and continuing on his path.

"Listen, I was wonderin', do you have a second?" the stranger asked him again. Des let his arms droop, and had they not been shoved deep into his pockets, he was entirely sure that they would've fallen off. He finally broke his stride and turned around, shrugging hopelessly. "Look man, I don't have any change or anything. I don't even have anything in my bank." Perhaps it was rude to assume the man addressing him was homeless, but in Miami, that's the only time a stranger addressed you while you were walking. That, or to distract you while a van snatched you from behind. This guy didn't seem like that type, so based on profiling, it was probably safe to assume he was homeless.

After a second, he walked up to the long-sleeved stranger, standing side by side so he could point down in the opposite direction. "Okay, you see that street sign? If you make a right at that and keep going for four or five blocks you'll find a shelter," he informed the likely-homeless youth. "They're great people and you'll get a good meal out of it. But I really have to go, I'm really late." Late to his own pity party anyway. With that, he spun back around on his heel, using his height to take long strides down the sidewalk to regain any time lost.

View Likes PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:53 am 

Dimitri's brow raised at the man's response. He wasn't the first person related to a magical being that had called Dimitri out on being homeless. Desmond and Daniel would get along, Dimitri figured. "I have a house and a job." Dimitri replied, starting to take his own strides. Dimitri felt very uncomfortable tailing someone who didn't want him around, he'd never be so persistent were it not so important. "Well..." Dimitri said, considering his own employment situation. He worked for an old god who was low on the food chain of the gods. He got payed in strange artifacts and odd sums of money at strange times. Sometimes the money was in ancient coins and not USD. "It's sorta a job."

Dimitri was doing his best to gauge the situation. He wanted to break this news as gently as he could, but it didn't look like there was any scenario where they would sit down and talk over coffee. "Desmond." Dimitri hadn't wanted to use his name before he'd learned if from Desmond himself; he could tell from firsthand experience that strangers using your name sent chills. "This is important. Probably the most important thing you're'ver gonna hear."

Dimitri kept his pace up. He was beginning to take into consideration how difficult it was going to be to make Desmond believe he was a demigod. There was plenty of water on the beach to will, but no privacy to do it in. Dimitri wished it was all as simple as finding mermaids.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:17 pm 

Desmond stopped walking so fast that he felt the man following him almost bump into his back. "I never told you my name," he observed carefully, eyes narrowing as he turned around. If this was some bullshit Detective Barker was pulling, and this guy was an informant, he was doing a really bad job.

Crossing his arms loosely over his chest, he drummed his fingers on his arm and considered the man carefully. Informants weren't supposed to stand out, and more importantly they weren't supposed to let you know that they already knew who you were. Even if Des wasn't surrounded by them recently, they were pretty obvious to spot out if you knew what to look for. Des' fingers stopped tapping their idle rhythm before his arms dropped to his sides and he jerked his chin in the direction of the other side of the street, beckoning the other to follow.

Once he had jogged across the street, he darted into an alley a few buildings down. He didn't bother to look behind him to see if the hobo-informant was following him. If it was really that important, he'd show up momentarily. Desmond leaned back against warm, callous bricks and waited.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:35 pm 

Dimitri hastily put the brakes to his feet, nearly slamming right into Desmond. He was hoping things would get more simple from here on out; pushing his comfort zone was never a good thing when his limits were based on moral restrictions. Before Dimitri could reply, the other demigod was off, once again. Though, Dimitri could tell he wasn't really trying to get away. It almost made Dimitri apprehensive, as though he was being led into a trap.

Dimitri sighed, it wasn't like he had a choice, he was obligated to do his father's bidding. Above that, Dimitri had a soft spot for the demigod, he'd once been in the shoes of not knowing what he was. Dimitri had someone to teach him what he was, and without that, Dimitri wasn't sure he'd have made it in the world.

The son of Nereus followed without hesitation. There wasn't much more he could do to signify the gravity of the situation without shouting "You're father is a god!" Dimitri wasn't prepared for the reaction of that. He approaced Desmond, who was now casually leaning against a wall. Dimitri glanced both ways of the alley, and saw no one else. "Christ." He mumbled under his breath. "I need'ya to watch me." Dimitri asserted. The sooner he proved what he was, the better. If someone else saw it could spell hazards.

Dimitri reached into his pocket and pulled out a tiny capsule from a package, they almost looked like mints. He threw one into the ground and a few ounces of water somehow splashed out of the tiny mint. Dimitri willed the water to lift from its position and float around him. "Don't freak out. This is important." Dimitri repeated.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:08 pm 

It took Desmond a moment to register exactly what he was seeing. The stranger threw a mint on the ground, and for a moment Des thought he was just another crazy Floridian hopped up on amphetamines. Because really, if he was being honest, it wasn't necessarily uncommon in Miami-Dade for someone to pull you aside and throw candy on the ground. Unfortunately you'd probably be knocked out, snatched and sold into trafficking if you tried to grab it. And they probably still wouldn't even give you the candy.

He looked up with what he was sure what a comically unamused expression before the man spoke again. "Don't freak out. This is important."

"Look, man, the only thing freaking me out right now is-" Desmond stopped whatever he was getting ready to say. A small shimmer caught his eye, right next to the man's left side. And again, at his right. Water...? Desmond quickly dropped his eyes to the ground where he knew that mint had been thrown, and in its place he only caught the remaining few drops of water rising from where it once laid, floating upward to where the other water danced idly in the air.

Water. In the air. "What the hell?" Desmond asked nobody in particular, his eyebrows knitting in confusion. He ran a hand above the water, down the side, underneath, all the way around until he was entirely sure that this wasn't some parlor trick. With his hand still hovering around the water, he looked up at this stranger in search of some sort of confirmation.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:57 pm 

"I don't really like doin' this in public." Dimitri admitted. He kept the water in the air, against the force of gravity. Once Desmond looked to him, Dimitri flared the water in a few loops and then around through itself as though he was tying a loop with the water. The look on Desmond's face was a sharp reminder to Dimitri that there was a line between him and humanity. For better or for worse, Dimitri was a freak among men. Desmond was about to learn that he was too.

"I'll answer any questions you have." Dimitri made the offer, though he was sure that there was a processing curb for Desmond. Dimitri recalled his own experience with coming to terms of being a demigod. At first, it didn't seem real. "I don't know your situation. All I was told was your name and where to find you. Desmond, your one of your parents is a god-like bein'. You're not safe where you are right now." Dimitri asserted.

Just to be sure, Dimitri splashed the water into the air above him. It all promptly landed on him, though it all bounced off of Dimitri, as though he was a duck's back. "I know, it ain't an easy thing to take in."

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:23 am 

Being unsafe? In Miami, Florida? If Desmond hadn't been so focused on another part of that, he would've laughed at the irony. He almost did anyway, but instead posed his biggest question. "What do you mean I'm not safe here? And what do you mean one of my parents is a god?" His parents were both at home. At their home anyway, back up in Bradenton, where Desmond no longer felt welcomed. He hadn't seen either of them in about a year, but that didn't mean they weren't any less his parents, and neither of them possessed anything god-like about them.

"Look," he said slowly, considering his words as he said them. "I think you have the wrong guy. I don't know who you get your information from, but I'm just your run of the mill millennial. My parents are normal, both of them. They can hardly move through the house without tripping over something, and my dad is so fat he hardly makes it through the house anyway. Nothing god-like or ethereal about them."

There was nothing ethereal about him either. He was a college dropout that smoked a lot of weed, played video games and enjoyed freerunning, but that was about it, and he was lucky to even be good at the freerunning bit. He wasn't even average, he was super-average. If one of his parents was a god-like being then he had to be a massive ****ing disappointment.

He let himself fall back, bracing the impact of the wall against his shoulder. "That aside," he said, waving his hand out to gesture to the water sprinkling back down to the ground. "I can't do anything like this. I mean, look, I won't tell anyone but I really think you got some messed up information."

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:34 am 

"I need you to keep a level head." Dimitri nearly begged of the other demigod. He didn't want to have to chase after him for a third time, especially after toying with water in front of him. The last thing he wanted was for Desmond to start panicking. "Your name is Desmond Kalter. I was sent here by a force stronger than myself. I'm tellin' you, I have the right guy." Dimitri spoke, as gently as he could. He could work on helping Desmond through the stress afterwards. Making him believe the truth was priority one.

"Look, I ain't scared that you'll go tellin' people 'bout this. No one's gonna believe some kid came around controlling water with'is mind and hands." Dimitri said, though it guilted him that he was putting Desmond in this hard place. "I had to learn that neither've my parents were actually my parents." Dimitri admitted, although he wasn't sure himself what he was getting at. "It's possible that your parents took you in after birth. I can't imagine it's real easy to raise a child'n your own."

"People like us, we can hide in plain view. You can live a normal life, I promise. But unless I show you how to stay safe, you're in danger. There's a lot of things out there, lotta things that you really should be ready for. Will you give me a chance to help you?" Dimitri asked. At this point he felt obligated to stick with Desmond, even without Nereus's orders. It was the right thing to do, and he would have wanted someone to do it for him.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:20 pm 

"Will you give me a chance to help you?"

Desmond studied everything about this stranger that seemed to know everything about him. Studied his words, his body language, the borderline desperation in his voice. He let his eyes drop to the damp concrete floor of the alley, as if considering his options when in reality he knew exactly what he was going to say next.

"Alright." He looked back up at the man in front of him as he pushed himself away from the wall. If they were going to do this, whatever this was, they needed some place to talk. Desmond had questions, and this man seemed to have answers that wouldn't do well to be overheard, especially not in some dank Florida alleyway. That aside, he'd spent too much time outside anyway. Whatever squad car had been following him - because he was sure there was one escorting him - had probably radio'd in that he didn't go home. Harmless enough, they couldn't bastardize him for not going directly home, but they could harass him over it. "Do you have somewhere we could talk? My place is open, but it's not quiet and it's not empty."

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:11 pm 

"Listen, I live a loooong way away from'ere." Dimitri said. Just the mention of home was enough to lift bittersweet memories from the depths of his mind. He left the sour feelings out of his words; there was no room for them. Of course, Dimitri understood how important it was for Desmond to learn as much as he could. When a demigod was discovered, chaos was generally in store for them by those who didn't like their parent.

Even if they didn't like their parent.

Dimitri could still feel the draft of the ocean, despite being far enough inland to be in an alleyway. It caused his head to tilt in the direction where he could feel water. "But, there is 'nother thing that we could do." Dimitri inquired. "I know we just met, but if it's privacy you need. Well, I can take you over to the water. 'Slong as you're with me, you'll be able to breathe and speak, just like you're on land." Dimitri made the mention discreet. He never was so sure how certain he was.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:56 am 

"Breathe.. under water."

It wasn't a question. Desmond just had to reiterate it to make sure he'd heard it correctly. He supposed he shouldn't have been surprised at a curve ball like that. Actually, that wasn't even a curve ball compared to everything he'd witnessed and heard, starting at 'You're a demigod, Desmond' to watching the polite stranger toy around with water in midair. Compared to that, why should breathing under water be considered out of the extraordinary?

After a moment of contemplation - rather, what looked like contemplation, though he'd already made up his mind - he nodded his head once and then jerked his chin in the direction of a large rock formation along the shoreline. "No one goes down that way," he explained, and from experience, too. That was where he loved to hang out, when he actually did wind up going for a swim. Most of the beachgoers were tourists anyway, and they certainly didn't want to spend their precious week in Miami on a rock formation. That aside, the ground didn't taper off into a deep end. It was deep, right from the moment you put your feet in the water. When Desmond was a kid, he used to think that there was a cave deep down along the rock, but no. It was just a pit. How disappointing.

He took off again, back across the street and made off in the direction of the beach. This time, for the first time, he peered over his shoulder to make sure the stranger - Jesus, he'd need to find something else to call that guy - was following him. That noted, he spun his attention forward once more. "You haven't even told me your name, yet," he pointed out, more for the sake of having something to address him by and not for the sake of being rude. "You know everything about me, and all I know about you is that you know everything about me."

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:46 am 

Dimitri followed Desmond, matching his haste. Dimitri wasn't as good at being discreet in public settings. He minded to himself, but didn't take care to attempt to hide any sort of actions that would turn head, unless, of course, magic was involved. He kept up with Desmond, excited to be close to the water again. It was precious to Dimitri, though he had heard that the water in Florida was polluted. Surely, it couldn't be worse than Boston?

He was wrong.

By the time Desmond turned to talk to Dimitri, the water was in sight. But Dimitri couldn't refuse Desmond's request for information. He was painfully aware that what was going around was overwhelming. "My name is Dimitri Midnight." Dimitri said, his southern accent not helping his cause. "I've been told to go tell people that my last name is real. It ain't a joke." Dimitri said, unamused at the sentence. It was something his god-like father had passed on to him as an order. Nereus always enjoyed poking fun at his family name, despite Dimitri's adopted dad having been Nereus's former servant.

Dimitri gestured for Desmond to continue walking with him. "My fater's a god, at least, that's what they call themselves. He's been alive'lot longer than most people, if not all." Dimitri, even now, couldn't be sure about any myths authenticity. "He wanted me to find you. Said you had talents he'd need for somethin'. I'm just a messenger, but you can trust me. I won't lead you astray." Dimitri promised.

When Dimitri's boots reached the water, the mere contact made the demigod shudder at the pollution. He took a deep breath; if the fish had to live with it then so would he. He turned back to the other demigod. "Take my hand, and don't let go." Dimitri said, simply too. The entirety of demigod life had become so normal to him that he'd forgotten how insane it all was.