All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Only One Ocean
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:14 pm 

eye of newt, tail of newt... rest of newt...

Medals: 12
Best Couple (1) 1st Year (1)
2nd Year (1) 3rd Year (1)
Blog: View Blog (59)

"Some sort of witch stuff, I dunno if it's much to do with an ancient comb," Alannah replied. She was frowning at a book titled 'Waterways and Where They Run', decided it wasn't worth their time, and put it back on the shelf. Asya was a good deal smarter than she'd first assumed, and it unnerved her a little. Where had she picked up enough knowledge to determine the origin - or not-origin, rather - of the comb? Did she know all of those languages she mentioned? She decided to pursue the matter.

"How do you know that?" Alannah asked, snatching an unoccupied desk and placing a stack of books on it. Some of them were books on environmental science, as she figured they might as well try to see if other ocean-related disasters were in any way similar to what had happened with the ichor. She hadn't been to the mythology section yet, but thought it the next logical step in her own investigation. She skimmed the incredibly lengthy index of 'Man-made Disasters of the 21st Century', looking for any mention of the word ocean, water, or - anything, really, that they might be able to use or link to the comb or ichor in any way. Alannah had dropped out of college, that much was true, but it had never been because of the amount of reading she'd had to do.

Alannah slammed the lexicon she'd been looking in shut with such a loud noise that the librarian glared at her when he went by. Alannah didn't bother to apologize, returning the librarian's look with a sour stare of her own. "Well, that was useless," she muttered angrily. They'd been in the library for hours by now, and nothing had turned up. She stood up and stretched, groaning. There was nothing anywhere about bone combs, or ichor (except in the lexicon; a desperate, last measure she'd taken, and all it had done was give her the definition of ichor and some epics in which it was mentioned). "I guess I owe you two milkshakes, don't I?" She asked tiredly. She could do with a milkshake herself, if she was honest. A nice cherry one, bright pink with whipped cream on top... And maybe fries too. The thought alone made a little of the exhaustion that had so far been for nothing, melt away.

"All that's really left is the children's section," she said jokingly, not for a second believing they'd find anything there. "Whaddya say? Spend another half hour here, or lunch?"

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
View Likes PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:45 pm 

Medals: 6
Best Couple (1) Dedicated Partner (1)
Supporter (3) Contest Winner (1)
Blog: View Blog (6)

Between What Hair Tools Did Elvis Use?, Crafting Custom Combs, and A Traveler's Guide to Combs and Candles, Dimitri was beginning to become aware just how deep down they were scraping this barrel. It turned out that the ancient Egyptians made both candles considered pioneers in the trade. The first by soaking the core of reeds into melted animal fat, and then the authentic candle, made from beeswax. It was then the Romans that began to use a wick, in order to make a candle a more easily maintained light source. From there, colonial women in the early founding of the United States were able to boil berries to make a different type of wax, that produced a sweet aroma when burned. Eventually, Alannah's words had brought him out of his candle-induced trance.

He shut the book, maybe a hint too abruptly. It was at that moment that Dimitri decided he shouldn't open up another candle book for a long while. He hadn't even reached the half of the book about combs.

"I think we can pass on that one, for today." He joked. Their chances of finding anything in the kid's section were below slim. It wasn't a humility factor; he'd surely done things far more subjecting than snooping through a kid's section at a public library. "We'll save that one for the a last resort." He lifted his small stack of books, before glancing over to Asya's stack of thirty, he estimated. He gave her a look with raised brows. She wasn't even tall enough to reach half of the books in the library.

"What?" She asked, as though it wasn't even slightly out of the ordinary for a kid her age to zip through books like that. Her tone was incredibly innocent, which wasn't anything new.

"Nothin'." Dimitri replied, plainly, a grin formed on his face shortly after. He returned his books to the return cart, and assisted Asya in hers. "I was thinkin' tomorrow, we might just be more lucky to search the scene've the crime itself." He knew how dangerous that was, but he wasn't sure if this comb would ever lead them to any luck. "Where d'ya wanna go?" He asked.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:27 pm 

Alannah winked. "I know a pretty good place."

The whole diner was pastel. Pastel pink and white tiled floor, pastel pink painted walls, the comfy seats an odd shade of turquoise. Alannah studied the pink-and-turquoise menu with a professional eye. "Milkshakes are on the back," she told Dimitri and Asya, contemplating what to have. Reese's Pieces and strawberry? Vanilla and cherry? The place was infamous for both its '50s decor and incredible shakes, and yet, Alannah had never gone there since her dad, Tony, had tried to cheer her up after a particularly horrific biology test in high school. Just like you and Dimitri are now taking your own chi- nO, NO NO, STOP. She cleared her throat loudly, as if to drown out her own thoughts, and sent Dimitri an unsteady smile.

"So," she began, but somehow, she didn't know how to continue the sentence. Instead, Alannah just sat for a moment, opening and closing her mouth like a fish. "Um, uh... What are you, what are you thinking?"

Dimitri tapped his fingers on their table, it made him nervous to have Asya with them for so long. "I don't really know what half'a these flavors are." He admitted. "You okay? You sound nervous."

Alannah chuckled. "What, you were never allowed to have Nutella or M'n'Ms as a kid? And I'm not nervous," she said, then sighed. "All right, maybe a bit nervous. It's just..." She put down her menu and gestured vaguely at nothing. Asya sent her a look that was far too knowing for a 11-year-old kid and got up from her seat.

"I'm gonna go to the bathroom," she announced, and quickly left. Alannah didn't know whether to feel grateful or not. She stared at the bit of table in front of Dimitri.

"It's just been a while... In the library, I mean, right? So much reading."

"Yes... A lot of reading." Dimitri answered, he looked at Alannah as though he was a linguistics expert and Alannah was a language he'd never even heard of.

"We grew most of our food." Dimitri nearly reminded himself of the fact. Life was far different now. "Is it the ichor? Or is it Asya?" The clueless demigod displayed his remaining few shreds of naive nature to the mermaid.

"It's neither," said Alannah, finally too exasparated with her ex. "Look, we're practically on a date here again, which I haven't been in ages, especially not with a kid along for the ride, and it, it just - it feels odd," she finished tamely. "Don't you think so?"

Dimitri wasn't prepared for the loaded statements. He looked her in the eyes, but ultimately only had a shrug to offer her. "I don't know, Alannah. You know how things were before. You're the only person I've ever gone on a date with." He admitted, though he was certain she was aware of the fact.

"Being around you isn't like other people. I haven't felt odd since before last night."

"Great, I'm the one making things odd," she snapped, grabbing a napkin from the small dispenser on the table. "I'm not the one who just up and left, y'know? I'm not the one who just - suddenly shows up again with the most incredible excuse, just because again, I couldn't say no to anyone." She knew she was stepping over quite a few lines, but sweet justification bore her forward. "I just wish... I wish you'd come back for me."

"Alannah, that ain't fair." Dimitri protested. He took care to keep his tone in check, it was very clear the last thing Alannah needed was an argument. "You know I'd do anythin' to change what this is. I love you. But he forces me. Forces me t'do whatever it is he wants." The conversation was not a pleasant one, but Dimitri figured it might be a necessary one.

"Love," Alannah muttered, ripping paper napkin after paper napkin to shreds without noticing. What was she supposed to think of that? She could almost hear Dan in the back of her mind; "ugh, that is just so typical of men"."How, exactly, does Nereus force you to do things? What, does he have the rest of your siblings in a concentration camp somewhere? Is he threatening your parents, what is it; how could he possibly force you to do anything? I just don't understand it," she said, placing her elbows in the small paper-shred-mountain she had created, and rested her head in her hands.

"He's a god." Dimitri reminded her. "You know how that goes down if I go against him. Heaven forbid I'm with you. That isn't just me that's in danger. That's you too. And probably a lot more than that." Dimitri hated seeing Alannah in such abundant distress. His hand slowly reached out to her shoulder. "Tell me what to do."

She wanted to shrug the hand off. She wanted to storm out with one last icy glare and never see him again. She wanted to be that bad ****ing in every movie. But she wasn't; she was just a relatively normal person with no flair for theatrical gestures, and far too many happy memories to just leave them all behind her forever at this diner. Alannah lifted her blue gaze to meet Dimitri's deep brown eyes, with every intention of answering him, when something became unnervingly apparent to her.

"... Where is Asya?"

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:44 pm 

Dimitri had never felt a more mixed sense of dread at their conversation. He'd thought he'd held onto the feelings he'd had, but hearing Alannah talk about them brought it all to life like he hadn't felt in a long time. Dimitri felt like he was watching her break up with him all over again. The surreal chills and uncertainty filled him, which was an emotion and reaction that Nereus strongly recommended he leave behind long ago. But Dimitri could never learn to close his vulnerability to the Bostonian mermaid.

He was brought back to the present reality when Asya was mentioned, which was hardly any better than his previous feelings. His hand withdrew from Alannah promptly. At first, he tried to convince himself that girls simply took longer to use the restroom, but all unknown anatomy aside, Dimitri realized Asya was smarter than to stay away longer than she had to. Dimitri gave Alannah a worried look before getting up. He tried to keep subtly, but he wasn't doing a good job hiding his urgency.

The demigod gave Alannah only a head tilt, before rushing to the bathrooms, until he stopped in front of the women's restroom as though it was a magical barrier that was keeping him out. "You're up." Dimitri slowly muttered. He was worried about a thousand things, and now the thoughts that Asya could be with monsters, a malevolent organization, or just even unwell mortals were washing over him. "We gotta find her, Alannah. We gotta."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:58 am 

If she hadn't been concerned about Asya, Alannah would have laughed at Dimitri's dead stop at the door leading into the ladies' restroom. She caught up to him and marched through the door, her outstretched arm slamming it open.

"Asya?" She called as the door swung shut behind her again. No response, save for the forty-something-looking lady, who seemed to have forgotten she was in the middle of something - upon the door being opened, she had turned, her mouth open and tongue still poking away at her top row of teeth. Alannah stared, and the lady stared back; one with an expression of mild disgust, the other looking startled. Alannah shook her head and deliberately turned away from the other woman and started looking underneath the bathroom stalls for signs of feet, but none were to be seen. She could feel the lady gawping at her reflection in the mirror. Fair enough. "Asya?" She called again, not willing to give up. Maybe Asya was just playing. "Come on, it's not funny anymore."

"Not that it's any of my business, but who are you looking for?" Teeth-lady had spoken. Despite her no longer digging around for leftover food in her teeth, Alannah still found it a little hard to look her in the eye, and settled instead of fixating upon her nose.

"A young girl, about yea tall, dark curly hair...?" Her hopes fell as fast as they'd risen; the lady didn't show as much as a flicker of recognition. "Oh, well... Thanks." Alannah decided to take one last look around the small bathroom - no windows that could be opened, only the one door - when her eyes fell upon a wet section of the floor. The shapes of the puddles there didn't seem as random as they should. They looked almost like clumsy letters? Was it a message? Asya could play with water, Alannah knew that; she'd witnessed it at Lola's house. Her heart pounded a little faster. Making sure she was alone, she extended a hand, and lifted the water off the floor to see it better.

F P C G

"I don't know what I expected," she said to herself bitterly, dumping the water in one of the sinks before she left the bathroom.

"She's not here," she told Dimitri. "There was another woman and some weird puddles, spelling f-p-c-g if you're a bit generous, but no sign of Asya. She must have left without us noticing - can she do any tricks like that?"

View Likes PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:59 pm 

Dimitri held very still while waiting for Alannah. A feeling resonated from him that was pretty grim, the kind of feeling assured him this wasn't Asya messing around with them. It was one thing to see a willing person have harm done unto them, but Asya was still a child who didn't ask for anything. It felt like an eternity passed every moment that Alannah hadn't returned with Asya, and Dimitri was beginning to find it difficult to bother with a prayer.

Finally the few moments passed and Alannah returned to him, with the dreadful news. A tremor of worry washed over Dimitri, while he began to process what their options were, he took care to glance back to Alannah to give a small nod. "I don't think so. I don't really know, I don't think she even knows what she's capable of." Dimitri sighed. He looked back to the interior of the diner. It was disgustingly cliche. Perfect for him and Alannah, if only things were different.

"She's a kid." Dimitri said. "She could have wandered right outta here without us noticin'. Just to go see some big city. Somehow, with how things always happen, I don't think that's the case." There was a lot that Dimitri yearned to say. There was hurt he wanted to feel for losing Asya, but it wouldn't help them now. "F-P-C-G. Anythin' here in Boston have that abbreviation?"