All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:55 am 

Medals: 8
Completed RP (1) Most Patient (4)
Most Punctual (1) 1st Year (1)
Blog: View Blog (0)

"I wasn't saying that there was anything bad about being a detective. I had never meant that literally."

Skorn sighed for a moment, wondering if sarcasm was very different where she was from. Maybe there were going to be communication disconnects like that from time to time, he though, but then again that was pretty normal when it came to working with a member of another species.

"Yeah, the other sorts of things will be something like that. Rewiring plugs and the like is what we would have to do in that case." Soon enough, though, he paused and looked toward her.

"Did you want to test this beforehand, or just bring it to the client?" With that he paused, thrusting the ball into her court. He had no plans to test it, of course, since Skorn was totally convinced that the thing was going to explode the moment that they tried to switch it on. They had a tendency to do that, and he honestly knew that from much experience to tell the truth.

Titania, though, was someone that he had already grown to trust, so if she had figured that they needed to test it out before they shipped it off then he would. He couldn't have imagined, though, that the client currently had some plans to get them to actually go for a flight with the thing.

With how unpredictable a unit like this must have behaved, traveling on a craft equipped with it would surely have been an adventure in its own right.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:38 am 

"No of course not," Titania said with a smile. They didn't really know each other that well yet, the understanding of when they meant things sarcastically would probably develop over time.
"Sure we can find some time to rewire everything, that way we could get some decent light that we won't have to fear may set something on fire," she said. "I hate faulty wirering."
She looked shortly at the work they had in front of them, well knowing that it would be for the best to test it before delivering it to a client, but considering the shape of the pieces they had had to use to make it she was not entirely sure it was going to be a good idea. "We could try turning it on, but let's not try overdoing it, I won't take responsibility if it blows up." It wasn't that she did not have faith in the work they had done, she doubted the parts in which they had been forced to use. Had it been parts perfectly fitted for this type of machinery, she would without a doubt have been able to do it without any flaws, but for now she had to deal with it being a little bit more than decent. "If you dare, we can test it. If it does blow up or short circuit then we still have a bit of time to fix it," she said. "After all it could be nice to know just how unstable this thing really is. Just to be able to give our clients a warning in case it may have some quite interesting flaws."

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:13 pm 

Naturally they were also from two different species, which could have added to some of the confusion, because they may have been unused to each other's idioms. Regardless, they would eventually come to a much greater sense of understanding.

"Alright, that sounds like it's for the best. I wouldn't want to leave it on too long anyway." Swallowing deeply, he focused on the fact that the unit could very well have wiped their small workshop off the face of this planetoid.

Looking at the unit from a different angle for a moment or two, he soon nodded and turned back toward her. "Do you think that if we were going to give it a smoke test that we should move back a bit?"

Perhaps this was going to be another idiom that she might not have been familiar with. Honestly, he wasn't quite sure if it was or not.

Nevertheless, a smoke test referred to the fact that he had wanted to turn it on just to see if it smoked or not. Sometimes a person had very little faith in whether or not something would work. When that was the case, they would plug it in with the full expectation of seeing it smoke.

Still, just like her he didn't doubt either of their work. They were both quite skilled technicians. However, they had been forced to use parts in ways that neither of them had expected.

Looking back he grasped a cable and once more nodded.

"I'm going to plug it in. Stand back if you will. I don't care to kill us in the process as you can imagine."

With that, Skorn did his best to summon a smirk in the manner of her species more than his own.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:22 am 

"I wouldn't leave it on for too long either, but just in case I think we should step back a bit. It may as well have a life of it's own, and I don't want to risk getting hurt. It would look bad on my career." Titania took a short look at their work before stepping back to a safer distance from the unit. "Though if it doesn't smoke we should still have time to go through it all and fix it. Let's see how well it's going to do. I'm prepared for the worst."

Titania was watching the proces from a distance, crossing her fingers and hoping at least the smoke test would turn out positive. If it did they could at least have a little bit of faith in what they had been doing. Even though she would still not want to fly with it over a long distance. "I hope they won't be going too far with it, I doubt it's going to clear large amounts of open space. If you lose your engines you're a goner. Unless tyou have a technician on board that could fix the thing for you."

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:10 pm 

"Yeah, you never know, turning it on might indeed screw it up so we might have to do some maintenance immediately after the test anyway."

Soon enough he reached for a plug and electrically fired the machine for just a moment or two. While it sparked, the system did generate an energy field that would have made Skorn's skin curl had he not been an aquatic being, and that did suggest that it would work long enough at least to make a jump to light speed. It wasn't the most scientific test around, but it did prove that they had gotten something out of it.

"Knowing people like this they might very well have just needed to make a quick jump to light speed in order to avoid being traced." Predictably the lights returned from a dim state once the test was over.

Skorn had honestly figured or at least hoped that they had a slower-than-light engine perhaps fired by a ramjet or some other type of regular rocket system to get them out of whatever hole they might find themselves in.

Nevertheless, the test went far better than he could have previously imagined. Then again, he imagined that it was going to spark a fire, so his expectations weren't exactly very high.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:32 am 

"Maintenance.. Well we'll see how it goes and take it from there. It's better fixing it before someone has to use it after all."

Titania was staying back, watching the engines system boot up, she was really prepared for the worst. She was literally ready for it blowing up and she had come to terms with the fact that they may need to start all over again. She let out a sigh of relief as it all seemed to work decently, not perfectly and it could be tweaked here and there, but the most important thing was... it was at least decent enough to get their client to his destination if it was fairly close. "Then let's hope it will at least do the job decently," Titania said as she walked to inspect the engine after the power had been cut and the engine had calmed down. "Let's check it one last time. If a test like this causes any kind of flaws whoever needs to fly with this may be in huge trouble." She got to her toolbox and dug out the necessary tools as she began checking the engine. "Though I am afraid if they overwork it, it may have a meltdown and they get stuck somewhere."

After having checked the engine she wiped her forehead and looked at Skorn, "though I'm quite impressed it turned out to be at least this decent. Well if you don't get your hopes up, you won't get disappointed. I guess it's not much of a problem in this case."

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:19 pm 

"Yeah, even if the person in question that we've been talking about is a criminal, they are a living being."

Despite his apparently jaded personality, it would have additionally seemed like Skorn did genuinely care about the rights of other sentient beings.

"Well, then again, it could be a one-way trip that they're going on anyway." Skorn figured that they might have just needed, possibly, to get to some other planet and get off of this one. If someone had been chasing them, then that might have indeed been true and that would certainly have explained some things as well.

As soon as she started to look things over, he would have grabbed a tool as well and started to pick through the unit in question. It would have seemed like they were actually starting to work together as a very good team, and he was genuinely glad that such a skilled mechanic had been assigned here.

After all, they had long needed someone to say the very least.

"I think that might be as good as we can get it, but fortunately our little test doesn't seem to have done too much damage to it. That might mean that we're able to hand it over at this point."

Just like her, he was glad that the engine had apparently turned out quite decently all things considered. Well, it was at least as decent as they could have ever made it. He didn't ever suggest to himself that this was going to be some kind of great thing or anything of the sort at all.

To have gotten as far as they did was a major accomplishment.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:38 pm 

"Exactly, and as long as they we can prove we've been set up, framed, or otherwise forced to help them it's not like something bad will happen to us. When on the other hand we would be criminals ourselves if we didn't care about them at all. In the end we have to admit that we know too little to actually prove anything. They may just be less fortunate beings in a hurry for some other reason. A sick family member living on another planet, a party or another important event. You would never know."
Titania had enjoyed working here with Skorn as well, it already felt as if they had known each other for much longer than they actually had. She was getting along with him quite well. Usually she was putting everyone else to work and this had been a change of pace and she had really needed it to calm herself down and be herself for a bit, she had needed some sort of vacation and this was a vacation in her mindset. "Well let's go get this thing delivered, I'm sure they are anxiously waiting whoever they are." She pakced up her tools again, putting the most important in her tool belt and pockets before putting the rest and less important in her toolbox which she put away for the time being. In case the thing did get problems she wouldn't have to run for the toolbox to fix most possible problems on the engine.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:32 am 

"For all I know, too, they might represent an oppressed minority of people somewhere who is fleeing for a better life." Skorn was perhaps starting to show a little bit more of his true colors around her, because she had been inspiring a little bit in him to be honest. Eventually, though, he exhaled and focused on the fact that they were going to have to deliver this thing regardless of how dangerous it was. It represented a great deal of investment in their effort, so he would at least hope for the best. Naturally he no wish to get anyone harmed at all either; while many had viewed Skorn as some sort of a monster, he had actually wanted the best for everyone at the end of the day.

To some degree, he had even thought the same as she did, and felt that he had known her for much longer than they actually had. It just felt that way. Collecting a sort of silvery platform, Skorn slid it underneath the engine and looked up toward her. "Have you ever operated a floating repulsor platform? It allows the flow of gravimetric particles underneath an object to reverse, which allows us to move things more easily than we might have otherwise."

Admittedly, due to his species makeup, it would have been easier for Skorn to just lift the item, but he feared clumsiness. He might have been far stronger than a human, but bumping objects into the walls was still a problem regardless of what planet you had originally come from.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:52 am 

"Alright then, how about we stop discussing who they could be in theory and get to know who they really are instead? All these theories are making me quite curious, I don't know about you?" Titania smiled a bit as she watched Skorn. She was counting on him to do the heavy lifting as she wasn't really build to lift heavy things. Once the engine was on the platform she tilted her head a bit at it before shaking her head. "No, I think I should require such a skill, it could come in handy. Could you show me how to operate it?" She asked as she walked a bit closer to observe what he was doing. "I've always had others move the heavy stuff while I was burried in small gadgets or trying to get people to work. I've actually never had the chance to operate one for myself. But I'll let you move this one around, I would hate to damage it. It's dangerous enough just as it is." She just kept observing him as he would operate the platform

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:49 pm 

With a bit of a smirk, which certainly was difficult to place considering his unusual physiology, Skorn turned to face her again. Despite her commentary, though, he devoted himself to getting the unit switched on in the mean time. He couldn't waste too much time speaking if he wanted to get the lift on. Indeed he had the ability to lift things that most humanoid individuals couldn't. Within a few moments, he had the platform completely underneath the aforementioned motor.

Then, with a flick of a control, he had the gravity repulsion system switched on. Slowly the platform started to float until it was a few inches off the ground. To her the sound that it had made was probably relatively annoying, though it wasn't unbearable. He never actually realized that the unit made any noise, because his species was incapable of perceiving it. That being said, the fact that it was buzzing did indeed indicate that it needed to be tuned up.

"You're probably right, so let's get this over to them as quickly as possible." What had honestly bothered him the most was the fact that it had generated a foul odor, though she probably couldn't smell it. Anyway, though, he laughed and focused instead on what she had been saying before.

"If you had wanted to know how to operate it, then have a look at this control panel. You load an object on the platform and ensure that it's secure, before pushing this control knob inward. Push it a second time, and wait for a click, in order to make sure that it was turned off. That's easy enough, isn't it?" Since she had been inspiring a new level of self-respect in him, Skorn actually avoided the snarky remark for once. That was actually asking a lot from him.