All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A Blade in the Dark
View Likes PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:39 pm 

Blog: View Blog (0)

The Sleeping Giant Inn was a lot busier than Casfina thought it would be for such a small village. It couldn't rival The Winking Skeever even on one of its slower nights, but it was enough. More people around make it more likely to be overlooked, and keep one's cover intact. Though she could have done without her sort-of partner in crime, Sven, who hadn't shut up since she arrived, and only had his attention slightly diverted to playing various instruments. From babbling about her fake backstory, to coming up with battle stratedgies for when the Dragonborn showed, she knew for a fact that he hadn't been a paying client that the Dark Brotherhood desperately needed, she would have sunk her dagger into his head hilt-deep, witnesses or no. As it was, she concerned herself with playing the notes to the bawdy song 'My Thing is My Own' on her borrowed lute, attempting to drown out Sven's inccessant chatter. She was about halfway through the song when her companion stopped talking mid-sentence and nudged her leg with his foot. She briefly turned her gaze to see a tall man with black hair in heavey armor, then turned her attention back to the song.

She did not pause from the song as he had words with the inkeeper Sven had said was Delphine, nor when they went into a room and shut the door. She finished the song, and received a round of applause. She came to the Sleeping Giant because she knew it was a place he frequented and planned to kill him on the road when he left, so there was no need to eavesdrop on his conversation. It would be moot soon anyway. But something had nagged at her ever since she first got the contract, and that same something is what cause her to whisper to Sven, "Cause a distraction."

He nodded, then stood in the center of the room and began a rendition of Ragnar the Red. Everyone in the place gathered around, clapping their hands and cheering, too drunk to care that they'd heard it a thousand times before. She leaned the lute aganinst the wall and stood in front of the closed door, and noticed that there were no shadows coming from under the door. She gently and quietly opened the door to have a peek inside, and to have a bare room stare back at her. Even more curious now, she quickly slipped inside and shut the door, the barkeep in the corner sleeping noticing none of this. She inspected the empty room, but found nothing until she got close to the wardrobe. She heard voices coming from the wall, faint bit intelligible.

She didn't like what she heard at all. Dragons coming back from the dead, and the Dragonborn being the only one that can permanently kill them. She suddenly wanted to kill all of the clients who wanted him dead. How could she kill someone who was possibly the one person who stood between the dragons and the complete destructrion of Tamriel? She didn't have long to ponder as she soon heard footsteps coming from the direction of the wardrobe. She quickly retreated from the room and shut the door so no one could tell she had been inside. She sat down at a table next to Sven, who had finished his song, and waited for the Dragonborn to leave.

When she felt enough time had passed since he left the inn, she followed him outside. The cold Skyrim air seeped through her thin cloth shirt and breeches that were practical in a fight, but flattering enough for a bard. She didn't shiver, though. She was too used to the Skyrim air for that. She quietly trailed behind him in the dark, careful not to make a sound. When he got a fair distance away from the village, and abruptly came out of the shadows and came face to face with him and looked him dead in the eye with her most serious face.

"I heard that you are the Dragonborn. You kill dragons, I want dragons dead. I can help you."

Last edited by TheWindyWalker on Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:59 pm 

Out of Hiatus! (:

Soren gripped the handle of his dagger tighter as Delphine led him down the case of stairs that hid behind the closed closet doors. He was never one for trickery or secrecy especially the kind that was found in hidden rooms with enigmatic innkeepers. He took a closer look at Delphine, observing her careful walk, the way she carried herself with an air that she would be prepared for anything or anyone, this woman had more secrets than she let on.

It had been a while since Soren last step foot in Riverwood, ever since a quest involving a love confession went awry he chose not to meddle there anymore, quickly devoting his time to the companions instead. In fact he had been quite reluctant to seek out whoever wrote the letter to him to come here as Kodlak had assigned him an important task that could lead to the cure for lycanthropy but ultimately his curiosity got the best of him.

Delphine began to tell him about the return of the dragons and as much as Soren wanted to laugh it off as a crazy spiel he couldn't shake the the feeling that she was telling him the truth. Hunting a dragon was certainly appealing in it's own right, it would be an honor to take down such a beast and it would of surely won him a spot in Sovngarde had he not given himself to Hircine and the Great Hunt. Either way, it was a challenge he wouldn't pass up.

The laughter and drunken tomfoolery from the inn was a stark contrast from the previous quiet and contemplative environment. It made Soren's head swim as he maneuvered his way through the happily buzzed bodies, almost sad that he couldn't be one of them tonight. He had bigger fish to fry, dragon sized fish that is. The cool night time air stroked his skin as the warrior bounded down onto the dirt path, trailing slightly behind Delphine. She paused and turned to him, asking him curtly. "Are you coming?" Referring to Kynesgrove which is where according to her, his target lay. "You go on ahead and I will meet you there, I have some business to take care of before then." He replied, it was mostly true he had to kill some witches but it was along the way, still he didn't think Delphine would want to tag along for that ride. She eyed him with a vague look of suspicion but before Soren could dig into it any further she gave him a swift nod and left without looking back.

Probably better this way, Soren mused, gave him time to think over the turn in events. He walked calmly on the dirt road leading out of the village. The trip wouldn't take too long, maybe a day or two depending on whether he'd stop by to pick up his stallion from the stables. A wild thing it was, brash and unbroken and just a strong as the Dragonborn himself, no other steed had proved it's worth more that this one. Soren knew it was only matter of time before he let it free, as much as he prided himself when riding it it's worth could not be contained to a single man. Getting lost in his thoughts of his horse he didn't realize someone had been following him until a woman suddenly appeared in front of him. Soren instinctively reached for his axe but as he took in her appearance he stilled, hadn't he seen her in the inn a few moments ago? Wasn't she a bard?

She was mentioning dragons though...which meant she had to of heard his previous conversation. A eavesdropping bard then. His hand fell back towards his side but his eyes stayed strong on her catching her serious gaze. "I appreciate the offer for help but I have no need for a bard, much less one that listens in on the conversations of others." He replied, tone neutral but his eyes never wavering from her gaze. "Besides, I need someone who can handle a blade not a lute, perhaps you would be safer in the inn."

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
 Post subject: Re: A Blade in the Dark
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:51 am 

Casfina's gaze did not waver from the gray eyes of the man standing before her, though he was a good head taller than her. She suspected that he intimidated many, but she was not one of them. She paused for a few heartbeats, unsure whether to reveal the next bit of information, and decided that half-truths were better than outright lies. "I used to be in The Thieves Guild. Its a dangerous life, put your hand in the wrong pocket and you could end up swinging from a tree. I learned quickly how to take someone down. With all your clanking armor you need someone who can blend into the shadows and not alert an entire bandit camp to their presence. Someone practiced in stealth who can spot an assassin a mile away."

She unsheathed the dagger that was strapped at her side, and threw it at a nearby tree. The sound of tearing flesh and a gargled scream followed. A man with a dagger sticking out of his shoulder came into view, only to fall to the ground, motionless. A split-second later, two more men appeared and rushed at her, but she already had taken a vial out of her bag and threw it on the ground in front of them, shattering the glass. Fumes rose from the slopped potion into the eyes of the attackers, causing them to squeal like little girls and paw at their eyes. Using this as a distraction, Casfina did a tumble roll to get closer to them, hooking her foot above the heel of one, effectively tripping him, while plunging her remaining dagger into the other man's neck. As that man died, she turned to the man she had tripped, put her hands on his head, and broke his neck.

Satisfied that she had elminated the threat, she pulled one dagger of the man's neck, and the other one out of the other man's shoulder and wiped them off on his fur armor. She glanced at the trio's weapons, noticing that their swords were made out of silver, but didn't know what to think of it. Addressing the Dragonborn, she said, "The flask I threw on the ground was poison that put out a gas that burns the eyes and blinds those nearby. The dagger I threw at that man over there had been soaked in a lethal paralytic poison. I can do more than play the lute. As for eavesdropping, old habits die hard. But I don't want to live in a world plauged by giant man-eating flying lizards that breathe fire, so I want to help you eradicate them. I'm Casfina, by the way."

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:27 pm 

Out of Hiatus! (:

The woman's gaze matched his own in intensity, Soren was slightly impressed as most would of flinched and looked away by now when stared down by a man of his stature. So the Thieves Guild eh? He was no stranger to them, in his youth when he first arrived at Riften he found himself in their ranks for a time when his only option to survive was to steal. He's evolved since then, uses an axe now rather than a dagger, he was always clumsy crouching anyway. His heavy steps giving him away every time, he's surprised for a moment the bard had him pinned down so well, perhaps he was easier to read than he'd like. "Aye, I am familiar with the guild." Was his short reply before the woman suddenly threw her dagger, the unmistakable sound of flesh tearing letting them know it hit their target. Soren put himself on the defense readily unsheathing his axe in one smooth motion, even if he did not understand the situation it did not mean he wasn't ready for it.

More men manifested from the shadows but she was ready for them, using some type of smoke to disable them before taking them out individually. Not an approach Soren would take personally, he was more of a swing like crazy until you hit someone type, but he admired her skill non the less. Once all of the attackers had been brought down, Soren took a couple of steps to survey her handiwork but the grin on his face dimmed when he saw the silver weapons splattered about. They where after him after all it seems, was this the work of the Silver Hand? Only they would know about him and his...gift. Either way, they where messing with the wrong person and Soren has been especially bitter since the death of Skjor by their hand. He was glad their deaths involved poison, it must not have been a peaceful passing.

The dragonborn let out a mighty laugh of glee the type he usually saved for drinks after a battle, but he figured now was a good as time as any to be happy after all he just found someone who was getting more interesting by the minute. "Point well proven Casfina! If only all bards had beauty, brain and brawn but something tells me that is hard to come by, it seems I have gotten rather lucky. I am Soren Stormbringer member of The Companions and those people call The Dragonborn. It would be an honor to have you on my journey to kill the 'giant man-eating flying lizards' as you have so eloquently put." Soren sheathed his axe and took a step back from the carnage before continuing. "Come, I am headed to Kynesgove but I will be stopping shortly in Whiterun to pick up my steed to make the journey faster, I have another you can borrow if you are without a mount." Soren began to walk again, heading down the well worn rocky path leading away from Riften, rambling on to his new found companion about his stallion whether she cared to listen or not. Once you got the dragonborn talking, especially about his dumb horse, you wouldn't hear the end of it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:04 am 

The road to Kynesgrove was a bumpy one for Casfina, particularly because she hadn't ridden a horse in over ten years. Since coming to Skyrim she typically walked or took a carriage, as having to be responsible for a living thing seemed like too much work, and horses were too noisy anyway. There were rumors in the Dark Brotherhood that there was an undead horse as quiet as the grave, but of course Astrid had never like her enough to confirm those rumors. When she first tried to mount the horse back in Whiterun, she fell clean over the other side. She was caught by the stablemaster's son, but her pride was wounded. So much for the badass image she tried to project. Luckily, once she got herself straight on the horse, experience kicked in and it was smooth sailing from then on. She even started to become attached to the horse when it kicked a wolf in the head and the creature died instantly. The conversation on the way was mostly one-sided. She listened when Soren talked but didn't contribute much. She wasn't the talkative type. But she was the paranoid type, so she spent the entire trip on the lookout for any signs of trouble. About midway through the journey, she spotted a cave next a pond that was being fed by a waterfall that was off the beaten path. On closer inspection, she noticed the entrance was littered with ugly decorations, such as goat and spriggan, and grotesque shrines made from elk antlers. There could be no doubt that it was a hagraven den.

"I take it that's the witch cave you told me about?" she said to Soren. "Let me go in first to scout out the place so we're not going in blindly." She got down from the horse and made her way to the cave. Once inside, she blended into the shadows, and was able to move around without making a sound. She took note of all the hagravens' locations, and silently poured a mixture on the ground in front of the tunnels. She ended up using her entire stock of it, and made a mental note to pick up more alchemy ingredients the next time they were in a city. She quietly made her exit and returned to Soren outside. "There are five hagravens total, along with several skeevers and spiders. One is near the entrance and the rest are in tunnels. I figure you should go in and get the first one's attention, while I strike at it from the shadows. I also poured a combustible liquid near the entrances of the tunnels. If the other's hear our fight and come running, we hope that they use fire magic near the liquid so they go up in flames, which should at least slow them down."