All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:32 pm 

Blog: View Blog (0)

"You have got to be kidding me," Alison-Marie said as she opened the door to her tree house and caught a glimpse of her brother. At eighteen she hardly considered herself grown but at least she had enough common sense not to get drunk at her own father's funeral. Then again that wasn't what upset her, not really. It may have been their father but it was her tree house which gave her the right to hide out there. Not Alec.

"Come on Ally-cat," he slurred his words and her anger grew.

"Only dad get's to call me Ally-cat," At fifteen Alec already looked so much like their father. Alec had their father's blue eyes while she was some genetic freak whose eyes didn't match. Alec had their father's sandy blonde hair while she had her mother's dark auburn, almost mahogany curls. They did share the same high, angular cheekbones but he had a long straight nose and hers was more of a button. Just then she hated her brother for no reason other than any time he missed their father all he would have to do was look in a mirror.

"Whatever," she grabbed the bottle from his hand as he made to leave.

"Eat something Al," she said and pulled him into a quick hug. It was all she had in her for comforting words. Alec broke free of her arms and left her alone with her thoughts in a tree house her father had built. Her thoughts and a mostly full bottle of a very expensive bourbon that was definitely older than her. "Here's to you dad. May the road rise up to meet you. May the wind be always at your back. May the sun shine warm upon your face; the rains fall soft upon your fields and until we meet again, may God hold you in the palm of His hand." It was an old Irish saying she'd heard somewhere once before and she wasn't sure what it meant but it felt right.

She lifted the bottle to her lips and didn’t care at all that it burnt the entire way down. She took a sip for every memory. Her height chart by the door. The mason jars filled with sand and sea shells. The claw foot bathtub turned couch. "Actually," Alison said looking towards the ceiling and collapsing onto the couch. She didn't know if heaven was real but if it was her father would be there. "You kind of suck." She took another sip and was pleased when it burnt less. "I'm going to Duke for you. The least you could have done was stick around to watch me graduate. And what about my wedding? What about your grandchildren? Who do you expect to cook Christmas dinner? Me? Alec? Certainly not mom." She took another sip and then in a moment of anger threw the bottle across the small room.

Alison let out a sigh and got back to her feet. It may have been satisfying to watch the bottle break but she couldn't leave it like that. Broken. Shattered. "I can't be responsible for them dad. Mom needs you, Alec needs you. I-"

Alison stumbled out of the road as a truck sped by nearly hitting her. "What the hell?"

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:48 pm 

Sort of back.

Medals: 16
Longest RP (1) Completed RP (2)
Dedicated Partner (1) Most Patient (3)
Blog: View Blog (59)

"Happy birthday, Ellie".

"Thanks, mom".

Those simple words marked a very important day for Ellie Peterson. The day she turned 18 years of age. There wouldn't be a car as a gift - they couldn't afford it. There wouldn't be a big party, with lots of people. They didn't have that many friends.

They were just a mother and daughter, trying to survive without a father around. And they were doing pretty well, thank you very much. Ellie's father had never really been around. He had left before she was even born, and Ellie's mother din't talk about him. It was clear he hadn't wanted her, though. There wasn't a father name in her birth certificate. There wasn't any surname other than her mother's. They were on their own.

It hadn't been such a bad life, though. Samantha Brooke had been an excelent mother. She had brought her girl up and done her best to give her a good education. As soon as Ellie was able to, she started working odd jobs as well, to help her mother. And they had made it work.

The struggles had built a really strong bond between mother and daughter. They had no secrets to each other. Well... almost.

"I have something for you", Ms. Brooke stated. She handed her daughter a little box. In it, there was a bracelet with a charm. The charm was a notebook. Ellie lifted it up and smiled. "It's great, mom. Thank you."

She looked at it and held out her arm. "Can you, mom? Please?" Samantha smiled and nodded. "It's not expensive, or the great gift you deserve. But this means a lot to me. It's a family heirloom". Ellie waiter for the bracelet to be on her arm and hugged her mother. "I love it, mom. Even more now".

After these words, Ellie finally got up. "I have to go on my route, mom. Those newspapers won't deliver themselves". Picking up a towel, Ellie went to the bathroom. Another regular day... Once ready, the girl ate something quick and left the house on her bike. It was her usual route, her usual life. And she didn't expect anything to happen. But something did happen. The scare of a car nearly hitting her - it seemed to have lost the brakes - was enough to make her pass out for a few seconds.

And wake up at a completely different location. A location she had never seen in her life, she was sure. And yet, it felt... familiar. Looking down at her bracelet, the girl frowned. There was now a second charm - a peace sign.

"What the hell...?", the girl murmured to herself, trying to find anything that could help her know where she was.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:58 pm 

Alison's natural reaction to finding herself surrounded by trees on a two lane stretch of highway that seemed to have no beginning or end was to check her cell phone. It had no service, of course. The first cell phone call wouldn't be made for another four or five years. With a sigh of frustration, she tucked it back into her pocket and stared at the ground. She'd heard of people getting black out drunk. Had she done that? No, she broke the bottle and Alison was not a lightweight.

She knelt and looked at the necklace that had fallen from her pocket when she reached for her phone. Her mom had given it to her a few months ago when turned eighteen and she'd never really gotten it's point. A charm bracelet or even a necklace Alison could get behind but a single charm, and a pen no less. She didn't even like English class. But it was a family heirloom and it meant a lot to her mom that she wore it. She scooped it up with the intention of putting it on but noticed a new charm. A peace sign?

"What the hell," Alison's head shot up as her thoughts were echoed in someone else's words.

"Hey are you okay," she asked shoving the necklace into her pocket and crossing the street. Maybe she knew how Alison had gotten... where ever she was.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:39 pm 

Sort of back.

Ellie was just as confused as Alison. What the hell had happened to her? Had she gotten hit that hard? She was seeing a place she had never been in during her entire life. And yet, something about this place rang so familiar... But familiar in a way one remembers things they read about or saw movies about. Not the kind of familiarity you acquire from being in a place.

The girl was still staring at the strange peace sign on her bracelet. It had not been there when she had first gotten the bracelet, and now there it was, the second charm on the chain.

The girl shook her head, confused. Someone asked if she was okay, and the girl stood up. She had been sitting on the floor by her bike while trying to figure out where she was. "Uh, yeah, I'm okay", the girl murmured. She ran her fingers through her hair.

"I'm sorry, what... where are we? I think I'm lost". Little did he know the other girl's intention was probably to ask something along these lines as well.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:23 am 

"Yeah," Alison said staring at her. "I was hoping you could tell me. Five minutes ago I was," Alison licked her lips and looked away. "It doesn't matter what I was doing. "So you don't know where we are either. Great," she looked both ways. No cars. "I think I see a road sign way down there," she said pointing to her south or was that her north? Alison didn't know but it was to her left so that was a direction. "Do you want to wait here or are you okay to walk? What's the last thing you remember?" She asked not waiting on the answer to one question before asking the next. "And do you have cell phone service because I don't have any." Alison finally took a breath and smoothed her dress of imaginary wrinkles as she looked around nervously.

Nothing was make senses to her and she was sure the girl didn't have any answers. Wait, she thought to herself, the girl. "I'm Alison-Marie, by the way. Fell free to call me Alison or Ally. Unless you plan to kill me and then it doesn't really matter."

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:29 am 

Sort of back.

Ellie sighed when Alison said she was hoping to ask here basically the same question. She waited for the other girl to speak. Ellie could identify with Alison's confusion. She felt pretty much the same way. "Well. I think we should go all the way there, then", the girl suggested.

"I'm fine, I'll walk there", she completed, checking her bike. At least that was okay. Her phone seemed to be dead. No service at all. "Nothing. It's like there isn't one single tower around".

She shoved the phone back into her pocket. "I'm Ellie. Well, Fenella, but this name is absolutely horrible. So, Ellie."

The girl sighed. "I don't plan on killing you right now. Can we have this conversation again after we have been around each other for a while?"

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:47 am 

"I thought the only places without phone service were third world countries and my grandfather's fishing cabin but to me that is a third world country. No electricity at all." Alison winced at her own comment. She was sober enough to realize she was tipsy and she knew from experience the more she drank the less her brain to mouth filter worked.

She was about to apologize when a van drove passed them and then screeched to a halt. Actually, she realized, it wasn't a van at all but a volkswagen bus. It was painted in a rainbow of colors with flowers and peace signs and it reminded her remarkably of her grandfather's bus that still sat in his garage. His didn't run anymore but it was a memory of his 'summer of love' and as a kid Alison had loved hearing the story of how her grandparents met at Woodstock when he was barely eighteen. To her it was romantic because he had already been drafted and her grandmother knew him for three days when she agreed to write to him.

But it was not 1969, Alison told herself, and that was not her grandfather on his way to Woodstock. "You may not want to kill me," she said to Ellie, "But what are the chances we can trust someone driving a tie-dyed van in 2014?"

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:56 am 

Sort of back.

Ellie nodded. "I know the feeling. But in my case it's mostly any boring place I happen to be in", the girl replied. She was about to say something when that bus appeared out of nowhere. The girl blinked several times and touched her head. "Hell, I must have taken some real blow to the head, I'm seeing ****".

Shaking her head, the girl blinked a few more times and gave it up. It seemed like the bus was real.

"Uh... I've heard hippies were peaceful and all, so... I dunno. There's a whole bunch of crazy people just walking around, and all". Ellie sighed. "I'd totally ask for a ride. You up for it?"

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:13 am 

"Under the condition that he's not some really old guy with a beer gut and a ponytail even though he is clearly balding." That was what most the aging hippies Alison knew looked like anyway.

As soon as she finished her sentence the driver's door and the sliding door of the backseat opened at the same time. "You two need a ride to the show," the blonde that climbed from the backseat called. Alison stared unbelieving. It wasn't that the girl's hair was the longest she'd seen outside of a Rapunzel story but that she wore a flowered headband and bell bottoms that someone had drawn all over. Her top was little more than a knitted bra or bikini top and bracelets covered both her wrists.

"What show?" Alison asked.

"Woodstock of course," the guy standing in the driver's side door answered. He was wearing a pair of bell bottoms of his own but had somehow forgotten to put on a shirt.

"Um," the girl danced towards them and offered each of them a daisy. Alison looked at Ellie and waited to see what she would do.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:30 am 

Sort of back.

Ellie chuckled and nodded at Alison's words. "All right, no balding hippies, I promise".

As she spoke, the bus had already stopped, and Ellie noticed the two doors opening. Her eyes widened as she saw the blonde girl. Blinking a few times, the girl was too confused to even say something. The blonde's clothes were exotic, and that was an understatement.

Ellie was glad that Alison kept enough of a presence of mind to speak, since she didn't.

Accepting the daisy, Ellie looked at her new "friend". "Well... no balding guys, so hop on".

She would only speak again when they both had gotten in and settled in the bus. "It's probably some of these revival groups", Ellie whispered. "Nowadays, it seems like the cool thing to do is to revive stuff that happened before you were even born".

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:00 pm 

"I'm Daisy," Alison resisted the urge to laugh as the girl who had offered them daisies introduced herself.

"Do you think Daisy is her real name," she asked Ellie in a low voice, "Or her spirit name?"

"Do you want some LSD?" She asked holding a sandwich bag of sugar cubes between the two girls. That was all it was, Alison told herself, because they were just strange people reacting Woodstock.

"I will if you will," She said look at Ellie, "Just a revival group right? No way there's actual LSD in there." The more Alison saw, however, the less she understood and she really wanted to understand.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:05 pm 

Sort of back.

Ellie smiled at the girl who introduced herself as Daisy. For some strange reason, she felt relaxed with those people. Snorting a laughter at Alison's question, Ellie whispered back. "Her spirit name, totally". After this, she introduced herself to the blonde girl. "I'm Fenella. Apparently, my mother hated me when I was born", she joked.

When the girl asked if she wanted LSD, Ellie blinked. What, just like that? Could people simply offer each other drugs and that was it? But then again, that wasn't exactly a public place, and there was no way that was the real thing.

Who carried LSD around like that in 2014? "Of course it's not real", the girl whispered to Alison. Sticking her hand in the back, she took one and waited for Alison to get one for herself.

"Cheers", Ellie murmured, before trying her cube.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:40 pm 

"I'm Alison," she said as she grabbed a cube for herself. "But I've always felt more like a Starchild." Alison popped the cube into her mouth and crunched down on it. If these people were crazy she could go along with it. It was a lot better then grieving her dad in any case. "So do either of you happen to have a cell phone?" Daisy and the still unnamed man exchanged a look. "Like a mobile phone?" She pulled her own from her pocket not noticing as her necklace felt out again and landed between her and Ellie.

"Far out," Daisy said snatching it from her. "Is this one of those Star Trek communicator things? My kid brother loves that show."

"Are you serious," Alison asked. She got reenacting something cool, especially the summer of love but the pretend you didn't know what a cell phone was, was just going too far.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:37 pm 

Sort of back.

Ellie crunched on her 'sugar' cube while Alison spoke. She was paying half of her attention to the conversation, and half to the places they passed by. Nothing there seemed familiar to Ellie. She shook her head and looked back at the people talking.

The girl was about to say something, when she noticed that Alison's necklace had fallen.

Leaning down to pick it up, Ellie frowned. She looked at Alison and held out the jewel on her fingertips. "Is this yours?", she asked, seemingly a little anxious. Not that she really did need an answer, it could only have fallen from Alison's neck.

"I'm sorry, it's just... looks like mine", the girl explained, showing the bracelet on her left wrist.