All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:50 pm 

Medals: 6
Best Couple (1) Dedicated Partner (1)
Supporter (3) Contest Winner (1)
Blog: View Blog (6)

Robert Jackson was simply a private investigator, the job payed far more than police positions would. Though, he very rarely dealt with anything homicide related, as crime scenes were strictly for police only, and their detective work was free. Most of his work consisted of just gathering information or tailing people, very rarely did he deal with anything serious, often he simply eased someone's suspicion. For the first time, Robert was faced with something he couldn't quite understand. He drove for the small town of Holy Springs, and he thought just the name was enough to convince him that people would go crazy there.

People were going missing, day by day. At first it was just one person, only enough to make the community shake. Afterwards, a few more. The state took interest, and the town became even more worried. And after a couple weeks had passed, a steady flow had taken place. Each night, at least one more person was taken. Men, women, children, it didn't matter. Whoever was taking the people clearly didn't discriminate. As far as Robert could tell, there was never any blood or finger prints left behind. There was never an evidence trail to follow. Robert's theory was that it was just someone with problems since childhood. Someone smart.

Though, it didn't seem that his opinions matched with others. Many people thought it was supernatural phenomenon. Robert just assumed the police weren't doing their job, however. More people took interest with each day, as it confused many people as to how there was no answer after two weeks. Talks of quarantining the small town were happening, and even international attention was beginning to spark, all over a small town where people were going missing. Police barricades were already up around the roads into the city, though they couldn't stop people from going in, only ask them for their reasoning in entering Holy Springs.

Stepping out of his car, he could almost feel the distrust towards him from anyone he crossed paths with. Everyone in the town knew one another, it hadn't occurred to Robert, but he was quite literally an outsider. He could almost feel daggers coming from the eyes of people he passed, the dirty looks were near endless. It didn't bother him a whole lot, he was here to get a job done. He just knew it was going to be a real pain getting any kind of testimony from townsfolk.

He passed many houses, some of the pathways were empty, and he noticed no one walked alone. It was a nice small town, Robert noted, though the atmosphere at the moment was nothing but dreadful. His destination was the Holy Springs Police Department, as much as working with police could be tiresome, it was his only choice in this scenario.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:44 pm 

Blog: View Blog (0)

Captain Ryan stared at the journalist that sat across from him, a weak cup of cold coffee in his hand. The look on his worn face was a mixture of confusion and frustration. For the life of him he couldn't figure out why she was here. Didn't she realize it wasn't safe here in Holy Springs? Especially not for a liberal journalist such as herself. "Eve, I know you're just trying to give us press, but no one wants you here."

"Oh, gee, thanks! Nice to know my own father doesn't want me here." Eve was quick to retort, though there was no anger in her words. She was simply teasing her old man, pushing his buttons like old times. Despite having moved away years ago to pursue journalism in a large city, she had missed the small town of Holly Springs. Now this is nothing she would have admitted out loud, but she had missed it none the less. "I'm kidding, daddy. Seriously, though. You need me, I can help with the private detective. God knows none of you want to."

His daughter flashed him a knowing look that he pretended to ignore as he gulped down the coffee. Had it been hot he would have surely scalded his throat. He placed the mug back on his oak wood desk before allowing his eyes to meet her's. They were bright blue and full of mischief and life, he would hate to see anything snuff it out. "Fine. If you get in the way I'm sending you back to the liberal hell you crawled out of, is that clear? There will also be no sleeping with or dating the PI, not under my roof."

"That's why I'm staying in a hotel, daddy-o." Eve pushed herself to her feet, leaning over her father's desk to give him a kiss on his wrinkled forehead before she left. With a wave she was out the door, waving at vaguely familiar faces from her childhood. A stranger's face caught her attention, a glimmer of curiosity replacing the mischief in her eyes. "Mmmm, your face isn't one I know. You must be the PI. Welcome to the one place where no one wants you. I'm Evangeline Ryan, but please call me Eve." She stretched out a hand, readjusting her over the shoulder bag as she did so. Her slender fingers were covered with rings with the exception of her ring finger, that one was noticeably free from jewelry. Tattoos peaked out from the rolled up sleeves of her red flannel, piercings lining her ears.

Ebert forever, unless murder rips them apart.

My resume and characters I am fond of.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:14 am 

Robert didn't find the police department much more welcoming. It was much smaller than most he'd been in before, though he felt it made sense, less police officers were needed in a smaller town. The looks he was getting didn't much get any better, if maybe just a little more curious. For such a small place, it seemed slightly more crowded than the rest of the town did. He'd assumed the police were likely more at work, as much as possible, in order to catch some hint or piece of evidence. He'd never quite seen so much coordination and readiness in a room. Though, it felt crowded, it was the space of the building, Robert could tell. There still were only so many officers available. Robert would even wager that there wasn't a single homicide detective in this town.

Even now, not a single person had spoken to him, and in turn, he hadn't spoken to anyone either. He was beginning to feel like he was in the home of a cult more than in a town. It was at that moment a woman addressed him, who identified herself as Evangeline. It was a unique name, he mused. He took her hand and shook it, as it was the pleasant thing to do, but he was skeptical, she was the only one thus far to even acknowledge his existence. He took note of her appearance, especially the abundance of jewelry. She wasn't the average citizen of Holy Springs, like he'd seen them.

"That's quite a name." Robert remarked, he hadn't heard many like it. "Robert Jackson, please to meet you. And I haven't heard a more true statement in months." He replied, referring to no one wanting him in the town. "I have some questions, Eve, if you had a moment?"

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:53 am 

She considered Robert's question before speaking, "You have six and a half minutes while I smoke a cigarette, 13 minutes if I decide to smoke two." Eve walked past him and motioned for him to follow after. The day outside was overcast, rain threatening to pour down at any moment. The weather was fitting for the dark time the small town had fallen into. The captain's daughter glanced up at the sky as she lit her hand rolled cigarette. It felt odd to be questioned when you were normally the one doing the questioning. Thick, grey smoke poured out of her mouth as Eve spoke, "Your time starts now."

As the Private Detective spoke, the journalist watched him intently. Eve made mental notes of his body language and the tone of his voice. The questions poured out of his mouth like water, a half smirk bringing to form on her blood red lips. This was an interrogation without the room. She lived for moments like these.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:34 am 

He wasn't too thrilled about being on a clock, but he assumed this was about as good as it was going to get in Holy Springs. That, and six and a half minutes was enough to get some kind of basic knowledge to work with. He stepped outside, where it remained to feel like downpour lingered in the clouds. He eyed her as she lit her cigarette, and his expression remained undefined. In his head, he was thinking of exactly what words to use, as they made all the difference in these scenarios. If there was one thing his experience had taught him, it was that.

He yanked a notepad from his back pocket, his attire was formal, with basic black and white colors. Presentation was key in some scenarios, which is why he assumed police detectives wore suit clothes as well. He scribbled her full name on the top of the page, deciding she was note worthy. He was unsure if she was truly a person of interest in this case, but there was no best place to start, and starting here was at least not forced.

"I wanted to ask you about your occupation and involvement in Holy Springs." Robert said, leaning his head back up from the notepad to look at her. "Can you tell me what it is that you do here? Have you lived in this town your entire life?" Robert asked, he was ready to take notes the second she answered. "Did you have any note worthy relationships to any of the victims?" He asked, while his expression evolved into a more curious one.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:16 pm 

"My occupation isn't here in Holly Springs, actually. I'm a journalist in Atlanta, I just came back to write a story. The residents weren't willing to talk to any other reporters, so I said I would write the story that's published in all the major newspapers and magazines." Eve inhaled the cigarette like she was inhaling her last breath, keeping the smoke on her tongue as she savored the flavor. "I lived here until I was 18, that was six years ago. To answer you last question, I knew all of them...I even slept with two of them back when I was still in high school. Everyone knows the victims in this town, because everyone knows everyone. So no, i don't have any note worthy relationships with the victims. To answer your unasked question, I just got in today. I haven't visited in six years. You can ask anyone around here. Doubt they'll answer you, but you can ask." She took out another hand rolled cigarette, pressing it to her nose before putting in back in the tin. She tried again, this time lighting the cigarette she pulled out. "You have six and a half more minutes, or you can get breakfast with me and I can fill you in on the do's and don'ts of Holly Springs."

Eve raised a questioning brow, as she not so subtly ran her eyes over his handsome form. He was out of place with his well tailored suit and smooth looking hands. The men of Holly Springs worked for a living, their hands stained with grease and caked with callouses. It was hard to hold back the chuckle that tries its best to force its way out of her mouth. In the end it wins out, and she apologizes. "I'm sorry. You're just a sight for sore eyes in this hick town. The men don't even wear formal attire to church. Lord, these people probably think you're the FBI. Hm." She shook her head. "So, breakfast or nah? I'm the only one who's going to offer to take you anywhere the whole time you're here, I can promise you that."

Robert was handsome, she would give him that. There was something about him that made her want to get to know him. Maybe it was just lust, but she was more than willing to see what developed between them. Maybe something, maybe nothing. At least he would be something to do in this boring little town.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:03 pm 

Robert's head was pointed downwards at the notepad, but his eyes shifted up as she started speaking. He quickly began scribbling down notes as she began speaking. Her answers were straight forward, and answered without any signs of strain or discomfort. She was certainly a character, Robert decided. In just a few moments, he'd scribbled some small notes to remind himself in case he needed it. Most were simple, just outlining her name and some simple traits about her. She was a smoker, she had an alibi via her occupation, and she was very straight forward. And eyebrow was raised towards her when she stated that she'd slept with two of the victims in high school. Without a word, and only a nod, he wrote "possible note worthy relationships to victims" despite what she had said.

She was also bright, considered she'd nailed the questions he'd yet to ask. He assumed that was because of her occupation, when she wasn't answering questions, she was asking them. An amused look appeared on his face as she laughed, though, he had no clue what was so humorous. Before he replied at all, he scribbled one last thing in his notepad, in relation to her lack of fondness to the men in Holly Springs. A smirk was on his face, in place of any kind of appreciation for flattery. He never took kindness the right way. Despite his sometimes know-it-all nature, he never acted smug.

"The do's and don'ts of Holly Springs." He repeated. It was a first step into this town, which he decided he desperately needed. He had no clue how long he'd be in this town, and so first steps were vital. "Alright, count me in." He said, without much thought put into it. Eve seemed like she might be a good ally to have in this town, though he was unsure what kind of weight her name would carry if mentioned.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:35 am 

"We're not going very far, just across the street. Connie's has the best breakfast around, and the coffee is black and strong. It's probably the only redeeming quality about this **** hole." She shrugged in an unapologetic manner, filtering her thoughts and opinions had never been one of her strong suits. With that, Eve crossed the road without a glance in either direction. The road was deserted as always, there had been no need to look.

A bell tinkled as Eve pushed open the door to Connie's, the usual costumers putting down their day old newspapers long enough to see who had come through the door. A plump, older woman with graying hair looked up from washing a table; a grin spreading across her wrinkled face as her green eyes fell on Eve. "Well if it isn't the famous journalist Eve Ryan. How have you been, sugar? Want your daddy's usual table? He already came in and got his breakfast." The diner smelled like grease and coffee. There was something comforting about the smell, something warm and inviting.

"That would be great, Mrs. Connie." Eve followed Mrs. Connie to the middle booth by the window, sliding into the cracking vinyl before answering the woman's first question's with a soft smile. "I've been good. Busy, but good. I can't complain. I make good money doing something I'm passionate about. It's really all I could ask for in life."

"Oh that just warms my heart to hear, sugar! Your daddy brags about you every chance he gets! He and Karen have a whole scrapbook devoted to the articles you've written. They were sorry you couldn't be here for the wedding." Mrs. Connie had yet to even glance in Robert's direction, too caught up in pestering Eve about her life to even notice him.

Eve decided to get comfortable, knowing Mrs. Connie would ask questions until she had enough gossip to tell the whole damn town. "Yeah, I was sorry, too. I thought I was going to get back from Cairo in time, but no such luck. Protests and such delayed my flights leaving me stuck in the airport for a good four or five days."

"Mhmm. How about you and that boy? You two still engaged?" She knew the answer, but asked the question anyway.

"Uh, no. After losing the baby we just couldn't seem to get back on track. It was a mutual decision, so there were not hurt feelings. Being friends is better for us, anyway."

Connie nodded in a motherly manner, placing a hand on her chest. Her eyes said it all, full of pity. Eve couldn't tell if her pity was genuine or manufactured, but she told herself she didn't care nor did she want it. Before Eve could open her mouth to ask for coffee to change the subject, a herd of police officer's lead by her father came rushing out of the police station. As quickly as possible they piled into outdated squad cars, their lights coming to life as the peeled out of the parking lot.

"That's our cue to bounce, PI. Let's go, let's go! Mrs. Connie, we'll be back in 40 minutes tops. Can we have an All Star Springs waiting for us both for then?" Connie nodded and scribbled the order on a notepad, ushering the two out of the diner. Eve glanced back at Robert as they crossed the street towards her car, "Rule number one, the police all hate you here. Don't undermine them, and keep your head down; respect them despite the fact that they don't respect you. Rule number two, number one is your only rule. I'll basically be your babysitter while you're here, so I hope you like my company." She shot him a wicked grin as she slid into the leather interior of the glossy black Challenger that was waiting for her in the parking lot.