All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:28 pm 

Blog: View Blog (0)

"Many authors have speculated that werewolf legends may have been used to explain serial killings. This theory is given credence by the tendency of some modern serial killers to indulge in practices commonly associated with werewolves, such as cannibalism, mutilation, and cyclic attacks. The idea is well explored in Sabine Baring-Gould's work The Book of Werewolves.
Until the 20th century, wolf attacks on humans were an occasional, but widespread feature of life in Europe. Some scholars have suggested that it was inevitable that wolves, being the most feared predators in Europe, were projected into the folklore of evil shapeshifters. This is said to be corroborated by the fact that areas devoid of wolves typically use different kinds of predator to fill the niche; werehyenas in Africa, weretigers in India, as well as werepumas ("runa uturuncu") and werejaguars ("yaguaraté-abá" or "tigre-capiango")of southern South America.
In his Man into Wolf (1948), anthropologist Robert Eisler drew attention to the fact that many Indo-European tribal names and some modern European surnames mean "wolf" or "wolf-men". This is argued by Eisler to indicate that the European transition from fruit gathering to predatory hunting was a conscious process, simultaneously accompanied by an emotional upheaval still remembered in humanity's subconscious, which in turn became reflected in the later medieval superstition of werewolves.

Werewolf, by Lucas Cranach der Ältere, 1512
Some modern researchers have tried to explain the reports of werewolf behaviour with recognised medical conditions. Dr Lee Illis of Guy's Hospital in London wrote a paper in 1963 entitled On Porphyria and the Aetiology of Werewolves, in which he argues that historical accounts on werewolves could have in fact been referring to victims of congenital porphyria, stating how the symptoms of photosensitivity, reddish teeth and psychosis could have been grounds for accusing a sufferer of being a werewolf. This is however argued against by Woodward, who points out how mythological werewolves were almost invariably portrayed as resembling true wolves, and that their human forms were rarely physically conspicuous as porphyria victims. Others have pointed out the possibility of historical werewolves having been sufferers of hypertrichosis, a hereditary condition manifesting itself in excessive hair growth. However, Woodward dismissed the possibility, as the rarity of the disease ruled it out from happening on a large scale, as werewolf cases were in medieval Europe.People suffering from Downs Syndrome have been suggested by some scholars to have been possible originators of werewolf myths. Woodward suggested rabies as the origin of werewolf beliefs, claiming remarkable similarities between the symptoms of that disease and some of the legends. Woodward focused on the idea that being bitten by a werewolf could result in the victim turning into one, which suggested the idea of a transmittable disease like rabies.However, the idea that lycanthropy could be transmitted in this way is not part of the original myths and legends and only appears in relatively recent beliefs." Aiden lend back as he against the wall of an abandoned church containing loup-garou iconography. He just go done reading out loud from a book that held people belief of werewolf. He looked around the abandon church and started to sketch the wolf church into his sketch book. " The more I read the more I get into this culture but yet I can't come up with any idea yet for my comic. I guess I need to do more research on it." he said to himself Just as he was about to be done he heard a noise and he looked up and looked around "Hello? who is there?" he asked as he grabbed his pocket knifeand got ready to defend himself.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:20 pm 

Medals: 3
1st Year (1) 2nd Year (1)
3rd Year (1)

Name:Lulu
Race: Lycan

Lulu was running thought the woods her fur shinning from the sky above as her dainty paws kicked up dirt leaving paw prints behind. Her breathing was fast as she had been running for a while. She skidded to a stop at the outskirts of the woods shifting rather quickly and let out a breath pushing her blond hair back behind her shoulders as she walked cathing an interesting heavy scnet. She blinked looking around and following it. She walked around the town coming to an oldish building and she let out a breath. It was a church but this was where the scent came from. She pushed the doors open, "Hello....." She called walking in her brown eyes flicked to green abd walked in, "Hello." She called again.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:30 pm 

Aiden blinked as he heard a voice but not just any a female voice and form the sound of it really pretty. He shut his book and got up putting the book in his side bag he walked towards the voice. after a while he came to look on an angel figure. A girl with blonde hair and green eyes."Hi, what....what are you doing here?" he asked her knowing he shouldn't have been here as well since he was traspassing on priivate property. It was a place where Rafe and his gang hanged out they where members of her pack and on a regular bases stepped out of line by hunting with for others and not with the pack and at a full moon;

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:00 pm 

3rd Year (1)

She was about to turn around and leave when she heard the rough voice of a guy and turned toward him, "Hi, uh. I have no place to go. Can I stay here tonight?" She asked adding in a shiver for effect as she stood there. She could look rather pitiful when she wanted to. She looked up at him her brown eyes shinning and she let out a breath. He was rather handsome and it drew her wolf closer. She shook keeping her wold contained, "So may I or am I forsed to sleep in allyways again?" She asked her voice rung out in the building, "Oh I'm Lulu." She said politely awaiting an answer. She really wanted to stay here possibly get to know his boy better. She shivered again for more effect as a wind blew hard outside the building.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:56 am 

He looked at her "My name is Aiden. and well, umm...I don't live here but I do have and apartment. You can stay with me if you like. I mean that if you don't want to sleep on the streets you can live with me." he siad to her. He looked into her eyes there was something not normal about them was that what drawed him toward her. He couldn't help but think she would be the perfect character for his comic the one of his main characters. he was unawared of the 5 pairs of eyes that was watching him in the shadows Rafe glared and smirked at the human that was with lulu.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:51 am 

3rd Year (1)

She smiled, "It is nice to meet you Aiden also yes I would like to stay with you. I dont want to stay on the streets anymore." She told him with a half smile and nodded, "I would like that. Bad things happen on the streets." She told him and looked at him shivering more as the wind blew outside the building. "How big is this place of yours?" She asked moving farther in the builiding to sit down and turned to face him.