All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 308 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 16  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:12 pm 

This body is a vessel for my mayhem and as long as I can perform bafoonery it doesn’t matter if this stomach is flat or not

Blog: View Blog (0)

Sinead’s answer made Tanis’ heart beat even faster, the blush flushing to her cheeks once more, making her feel grateful that Sinead was keeping her eyes on the road ahead and that it was dark around them. It wasn’t that Tanis had necessarily noticed Sinead treating her different, not having a lot of people to compare with, but she had hoped that Sinead felt even a little bit towards her, starting out with insisting that friendship would be fine, but as they sat in the car Tanis knew that that was a lie.
The off-topic question threw Tanis off, forcing her back to the reality of their situation and why the scenario she was coming up with in her head was absurd.
“Yeah, it’s the grey black furthest down the road,” she said, her voice more confident that she felt.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:24 pm 

Sinead nodded, making the right turn at the light. It was an inner city neighborhood, not much different from the one she herself had grown up in. It therefore didn't take long for her to notice the patrol car parked on the leftside curb.
The motor was off and the cab pitch dark as they drove past it, but it didn't come as a surprise to see it ignite moments after they had rolled past it. In the back mirror, Sinead saw it do an intentional three point turn across both lanes, turning the blue lights on as soon as it faced the right way around.
"Put your hands on the dash," Sinead asked of Tanis, her voice having tensed up despite her attempts to remain unbothered.
She had no sense of whether or not Tanis had ever been pulled over while in a car, but Sinead knew it to be an uncomfortable situation, only made worse by poor visibility.
Sinead pulled over to the side of the street, glancing back at the police car mirroring the maneuver. Even parked, her hands remained on the wheel.
When she looked back at Tanis, there was a reassurance to her voice. "Don't worry."

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:30 pm 

This body is a vessel for my mayhem and as long as I can perform bafoonery it doesn’t matter if this stomach is flat or not

Tanis had noticed Sinead tense up before she noticed what the issue might be. She wasn’t used to getting around by car, so while being stopped by cops wasn’t new to her, this entire situation definitely. Deciding that it was probably for the better, not wanting to further risk getting a harsher sentence, Tanis gingerly placed her hands on the dash.
She felt anxious about the entire situation, but she knew that it would have been so much worse had Sinead not been in the car with her. She trusted Sinead to know what was best for her and how best to deal with the situation.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:50 pm 

Ever since Sinead had started driving herself to her night shifts, getting stopped by police had been an increasing problem. It made Sinead grow irate, knowing exactly why that was.
Once she saw that Tanis had done as asked, Sinead instead turned to follow the police officer as he exited the car; first through the rear-view mirror and then the driver's side mirror. Subsequently, she didn't flinch when the officer knocked on her window.
At his encouragement, Sinead's hands left the wheel to instead roll down her window.
"Are you the owner of this vehicle?" the officer initiated, tension already audible in his voice.
It was hard not to notice his hand at his holster, sitting at eye level to his chest. He was illuminated harshly by the beams of his car, and Sinead knew from experience this wasn't how the interaction was supposed to go, immediately noticing the weariness of his approach.
"Yes," she answered matter-of-factly, but not impolite.
"I'm going to see license and registration' that confirms that."
The man leaned forward to peer into the car, clearly with the intent of confirming the number of passengers.
"May I?" Sinead asked with a smile, even through the annoyance of being viewed at made the smile deeply disingenuous. The officer did shift his grip around his pistol, now gripping at the handle while not yet drawing it out of its holster, but when he didn't reply, Sinead leaned over towards Tanis.
Reaching in under Tanis' arm, Sinead opened the glove box to retrieve a neatly stored folder. For a brief moment, Sinead's eyes were on Tanis. With a little upwards tug of her eyebrows, Sinead grinned in disbelief.
"Here you go, officer," she cooed as she straightened her posture, offering him the folder.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:03 pm 

Tanis was tense.
Her relationship with the police really wasn’t the best already and she knew it would only take on slight misstep from her to escalate this situation to the extremes. It would also make her current case so much harder for Avi if she happened to get involved with yet another case, before she had even been to court for her first one.
The brief look Sinead gave her helped ease her mind a little. It was quickly becoming very clear to Tanis that this wasn’t even remotely new to Sinead and while that enraged her, it also helped comfort her, making her feel like she was in good hands.
She stayed silent the entire time, her hands on the dash and not looking over at the officer, but out of the corner of her eye she could tell that he had his hand on his gun and that he was white. It only served to further fuel her rage.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:23 pm 

Sinead knew precisely what the folder contained, but she could tell the officer was caught of guard by its content. Compiled by Avi, besides the license and registration of the car in Avi's name, the folder contained a copy of their marriage certificate and a neat stack of Sinead's employment papers, orderly issued at the start of every month, dating back years.
Watching the officer grow uneasy, his hand finally left his holster, instead waving his partner on with the folder.
"Ma'am, step out of the vehicle," the officer continued sternly as his partner had been handed the folder, returning to the patrol car with it.
Sinead relaxed at the title, though she doubted there to be any genuine respect behind it.
"Is there a problem, officer?" she asked, doing her best not to make it sound like a challenge. Either way, she undid her seat belt, opened the door and got out.
"Where are you heading?" he instead asked, no regard of her question.
"To work."
Sinead hadn't been asked to move, and so, she hadn't. She was still standing where she had gotten out, the door still swung open to her right. It was clear to her that the quickness of her reply seemed disarming.
"Both of you?" he pressed on. Instead of gripping his gun, he instead drew a flashlight, shining it into the car at Tanis.
Sinead, annoyed, shifted her stance far enough to partially block the beam with her hip. Her voice, however, was composed, almost a smile to her lips. "She's a friend of the family, and I'm giving her a ride home. Pardon me I don't have papers to prove it."
Sinead saw her annoyance being matched across the officers features.
"You too, step out of the vehicle," he said, not looking at Tanis but once again gesturing at her with the flashlight.
"No, stay seated."
The sudden sternness of her voice seemed to surprise them both, but only Sinead managed to hide it. "She doesn't need to get out. You've yet to explain why I'm out of my car."

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:37 pm 

Tanis tensed up again when Sinead was asked to leave the car. No matter how cool and calm Sinead was being about the entire situation, Tanis still couldn’t help but feel deeply anxious about the entire situation. She knew just how little it would take for this situation to spiral completely out of control and it seemed that it was moving that way when the officer pointed a flashlight at her and asked her to leave the car as well.
Tanis had only barely lifted her hands from the dashboard, intent on moving slowly but not provocatively so, to unbuckle her seatbelt, when Sinead’s stern voice broke through the air.
It was clear that the statement surprised both the officer and maybe even Sinead as well. It sent a shiver down Tanis’ spine, uncertain how she had never managed to catch up on how assertive Sinead was, or maybe it was just not a side of her that had been revealed before.
She stayed seated, feeling uneasy but more than anything else trusting Sinead to get them properly through this situation.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:05 pm 

"Ma'am, this is a standard stop and search -" the officer finally revealed, but to Sinead, the hesitation in his voice made it clear to her that the balance had shifted. She knew she would never have the upper hand in a situation where the man in front of her was armed, but that didn't manage to remove the annoyance from her voice.
"On what account?" she returned, knowing exactly what the officer had seen to prompt them to pull her over, and knowing perfectly that the officer would never admit to that. "You're having your partner run a search on my for driving my own car past midnight?"
He parted his lips to speak, and out of the corner of her eye, Sinead saw his hand had returned to the hilt of his gun. Unimpressed by it, she took his pause as a cue to continue.
"You're going to waste your time trying to find anything, doing nothing but keeping me from going to work. I'll have to explain to my employers that some officer decided to police me on the simple basis of owning a car."
That finally seemed to strike a nerve, reminded by the fact that there were indirect witnesses to the altercation. The annoyance was clear on his face, but his hand left his gun. "Turn off the motor."
Sinead, having been in this exact position before, knew she had won. It was inevitable that a pleased smile grew on her lip as she reached in to remove the keys from the ignition. Without needing him to ask, she handed them to he officer.
Snatching it out her hands with unnecessary aggression, he took the keys and turned around, walking back to his car. Only when he was several yards away, Sinead exhaled some of the tension.
"It's okay," she reassured shifting her stance so that she could follow her remark with a glance in at Tanis. Even later, a smile appeared. "He's going to come back angry, but we're okay."

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:27 pm 

Seeing how expertly Sinead handled the officers made Tanis feel forever grateful to have her in her life, hardly able to believe that someone as talented and beautiful as Sinead would want anything to do with someone like Tanis. It once again struck Tanis just how much she owed to the couple and how she would never ever be able to repay them for all the kindness they had done to her.
It seemed impossible to her just how calm and collected Sinead seemed to be, even finding it in herself to comfort Tanis, something that made her shiver and her head fill with every thought that she had been pushing down.
There really was no denying that seeing someone like Sinead be able to handle two police officers with ease, almost as if she was a white lawyer’s wife, was indescribably attractive and Tanis was glad that she could just focus on her own hands on the dashboard for now.
“Alright,” she muttered, hoping that her voice would carry over to Sinead. She didn’t dare speak too loudly because while she did believe Sinead, she just didn’t trust the officers to be able to keep a level head.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:42 pm 

Once getting to hear Tanis' soft confirmation, Sinead straightened her posture, not wanting to convey herself in any way that might give the officers a reason to fault her for any suspicions.
Instead, she took a step away from her car, brushing her hands against her skirt, trying to gather that last bit of courage to see the interaction through. As soon as the officer had left her immediate proximity, the adrenaline surged, making her hands tremble if she didn't keep them occupied.
It took a few slow, agonizing moments, but finally the officer returned, her folder in his hand.
There was no doubt in Sinead's mind that he wanted nothing more than to bring her in to the station, a pent up aggression about his walk as he approached her.
Seeing this, Sinead had tipped her chin upwards in a challenge. That, however, didn't stop her breath from leaving her lungs as he harshly pushed the folder into her chest.
She lifted her hands to catch the folder, preventing it and the car key from falling to the ground. Sinead gritted her teeth at it, but didn't want to push her luck and remained silent despite the curses she wanted to scream at him.
"You can leave," the officer bit at her, having already turned away from her when he spoke.
Not needing him to repeat himself, Sinead was quick to seat herself, slamming the door behind her.
"Bastard," she muttered, her composure finally slipping, carelessly tossing the folder to the back seat. Her movements were filled with pent up anger and anxiety, hands trembling as she turned the key in the ignition, wanting to get them away from the patrol car as quickly as possible. "Absolute bastards."

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:49 pm 

As Tanis witnessed how the officer treated Sinead, seeing how rude he was being to her, with no reason whatsoever, made Tanis want to punch her second cop within a month. She knew that it wasn’t going to help and thus her hands remained on the dashboard until Sinead rejoined her in the car, slamming the door shut behind her.
If Tanis had thought that seeing Sinead calm and composed had been attractive, it was nothing against seeing her riled up and finally angry. It was something she could so relate to, far more than being able to stay calm in a situation like that, and it caught her aback, leaving her without knowing what to say or do other than to just watch Sinead.
“Yeah,” she breathed, finding that she had nothing else of use to say. She felt less and less tense as they got further away from the patrol car, still mostly transfixed by Sinead and how refreshing it was to finally see her with her feelings on her sleeve.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:02 pm 

"I'm sick and tired of it," Sinead bit at no one in particular. She knew Tanis was on her side, more so than anybody probably had ever been. Though Avi was often targeted in the same manner, his bar exam and employment always seemed to deescalate the situation far quicker than Sinead ever could. "It's so difficult to maneuver, it's terrifying to be in, I hate that you had to experience that."
Without thinking Sinead made the left turn, at the next intersection. Only then, the patrol car completely out of her field of vision and mirrors, did Sinead realize she must've driven past Tanis' apartment.
"I'm sorry, I wasn't thinking - which building was your's?" she said, some of the frustrations having left her voice. Though the adrenaline remained, her annoyance had deflated some.
"Is here fine?" she asked, not waiting for a confirmation before pulling in to the curb. They couldn't have been far away, and Sinead absolutely refused to do another lap around the block if it meant having to pass the officers again.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:08 pm 

Hearing Sinead rant had Tanis completely distracted, which meant that she too missed her own building. There was something about how Sinead still took the time to care about Tanis’ experience of it all when it was so clear to her that this wasn’t a rare occurrence to the other woman. It almost broke her heart to know but it also made her admire Sinead even more, finding it admirable for her to be able to go on the way she did when the world was against her.
“This is fine,” she said, having not responded to anything else that Sinead had said, still transfixed with how she looked while angry like this. It was completely unfair and Tanis knew that there was nothing she could do other than what she was already doing. She believed in a better time for people like her and Sinead and that was why she protested.
“You handled that far better than I would have ever managed to do,” she stated, completely unable to keep the admiration out of her voice. “I mean, you know what happened the last time I dealt with a cop.”

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:17 pm 

Once having parked the car, Sinead slumped back against the seat and a little, awkward laugh left her lips. Though she understood where Tanis was coming from, it wasn't something Sinead took pride in. Everything about what Tanis had just witnessed came from countless encounters, each of them helping to shape her approach and choice of words.
"Yeah, well," she started, her voice barely an exhale. She finally tipped her head towards Tanis, her heart doing a flip at the realization that the other had been looking at her. "It's taken some practice."
There, Sinead paused. Her heart was still racing, but it was becoming increasingly hard to distinguish whether or not that stemmed from the last surge of adrenaline, or the attention Tanis was paying her.
Not knowing how else to avoid it, Sinead straightened her posture, hand trailing the length of her seat belt to undo it. "Come on, sweetheart. I'll follow you up."

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:21 pm 

Having seen Sinead circle through cold and collected to enraged and now back to her sweet, warm self sent Tanis’ head spinning, unsure how to handle herself still. The pet name did nothing to decrease the pounding of her heart in her chest, unsure how much was adrenaline and how much was just how exciting it felt to get any kind of attention from Sinead.
On her request, Tanis unbuckled her seatbelt as well, not too keen on leaving the car and Sinead in it. However, she figured that the transition would feel easier with Sinead followed her up. It wasn’t that she was actually scared of anything happening to her, it was just that she was hit by the sudden realisation that she didn’t want to see Sinead leave just yet.
“You are an angel,” she said as she exited the door, unsure how much of it Sinead actually heard but also unsure of how much she wanted her to hear.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:53 pm 

Sinead had heard Tanis. Sinead had heart Tanis compliment her plenty of times before, but it had never been like this. There was such a striking difference between being complimented on something, Sinead counted as the bare minimum. Being called an angel, however, sent a thrill down Sinead spine.
It left her stalling, keeping her in her seat even after Tanis had left the car. For a moment she considered whether or not this had been a bad idea, whether it would be better to just shove the dish into Tanis' hand and call it a night.
As she breathed into the empty car, Sinead knew she wouldn't be able to do that.
Finally shifting, Sinead withdrew the keys from the ignition, stepping out into the street.
"Which building was it, then?" she asked, as she once again went through the process of retrieving the leftovers from the back seat. This time, she was able to balance the cooled dish on one arm, permitting her to close and lock the doors.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:53 pm 

The time Sinead spent in the car gave Tanis a moment to think, allowing the entire evening to wash over her and for things to really settle in her mind. It was becoming so abundantly clear to her that she was attracted to Sinead and that that attraction was getting harder and harder to ignore.
It felt stupid to even consider, especially with how dependant she was on Avi‘a help still, but she knew that if she got the chance, she would be together with Sinead in a heartbeat. It was a feeling that she was going to have to shake, because it was never going to happen and dreaming about it seemed like a waste of time.
When Sinead rejoined her outside, however, Tanis couldn’t help her heart from beating faster in her chest, feeling a mix between excitement and dread by the prospect of Sinead following her up to her flat. She knew that her flat was nothing compared to what Sinead lived in, but it was a nice gesture for her to follow her all the way upstairs anyway.
“We only missed it by a couple of meters,” she said, running a hand through her long hair, feeling quite skittish still. She mostly blamed the Andre alone for that but she knew that Sinead’s presence was also part of the explanation.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:21 am 

Sinead circled the car, the click of her shoes that much more audible when she joined Tanis on the sidewalk. Though not dead silent, the area was quiet, only a few lights still on in the apartments above them.
"Do you have regular patrol here?" she asked, turning her head towards Tanis as she, unprompted, started walking back the way they had come from.
The glance was brief, attention directed forward as soon as they approached the street corner they had just turned. It felt like a weight was lifted off of her shoulders when she saw that the patrol car was no longer there. The neighbourhood felt that much more familiar when there was no blue lights illuminating the buildings.
It made it easier for Sinead's attention to return to Tanis, having a hard time reading how shook up Tanis had been by it all. She seemed restless, but Sinead wasn't sure if she could attribute that to the search.
"Are you okay?" she instead asked, readily abandoning her initial line of questioning.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:33 am 

The rhythmical click of Sinead’s heels caused Tanis to wake back up, the night too dark around them and the city too much alive. It’s wasn’t have Tanis preferred time live but it was where she was needed and thus she stayed.
It felt strange to see Sinead in the street where she lived, making her feel as if Sinead definitely didn’t belong here but instead was meant for better things. It didn’t help ease her mind that she knew that Sinead was only there for her and to follow her home. It was both exciting and a little scary to even think about.
“Yeah,” she answered, unsure which one of the questions she was actually answering. She couldn’t think quite straight, the adrenaline still pumping from it all and she knew that it was going to be a nightmare to even try and get to sleep once she got in.
Seemed like it was going to be a long night.
“I’m fine,” she settled on as she fished her key out of her pocket and unlocked the door to her building. The inside of the building was in a poor state, the walls graffitied and the bannisters broken. Tanis knew that none of those things were ever going to get fixed, at least not while she lived there.
“I’m on third so it’s a bit of a walk,” she said, her voice apologetic.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:29 pm 

It was impossible not to notice the state of the building, but Sinead didn't even consider it a reflection of Tanis. Sinead knew working class compexes looked like this were more often than not, and though she figured the tenants themselves played a part in it, Sinead blamed noone but the local government.
She thought she heard a pang of embarrassment in Tanis' voice, and Sinead desperately wanted to say something that could ease that.
"Don't worry about it," she reassured Tanis, her voice gentle as she followed up the stairs, no hesitation in her step. "I grew up on the fifth floor of a walk-up."
No matter how enticed Sinead was by Tanis, she knew they had talked very little about themselves. Sinead knew that they had more experiences in common than Tanis might realize, but she also didn't know how Tanis mentally had filled in the gaps they had yet to cover.
Uncomfortable at the possibility that Tanis expected her to be born into wealth, Sinead's addition came with a little laugh. "I hadn't even set foot in a single-story house 'til I married Avi."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 308 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 16  Next