All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 308 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 16  Next
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:08 am 

Blog: View Blog (0)

It hadn't been more than a couple of days since they had last seen Tanis; Sinead even suspected that Avi had seen here at some point during the passing day. Avi had been working what felt like around the clock the last few days. Maybe that was why they had pulled in on the diner parking lot with such ease, despite it being past 3am in the morning.
Sinead herself had just finished work, while Avi had gotten an early start on the day with an overnight arrest; Avi having planning to go into work at 6, they found themselves having a couple of hours to kill down town.
It was Avi who opened the door, the bell chiming far above them. Despite the hour, a handful of people were scattered around the diner's booths and bar. Neither of them had had a clear idea whether or not Tanis herself was working this evening, thought it didn't take long for them to realise they had been in luck.
A smile appearing onto her features, Sinead brushed her hand against Avi's elbow, urging him to follow with a soft touch. Stepping ahead, Sinead moved towards the bar and the familiar woman manning it.
"Hi," Sinead said, voice soft and familiar as she placed her handbag on the counter. Though her husband joined her by her side, her eyes remained unmoving on Tanis. "Do you serve food at this hour?"

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:02 pm 

This body is a vessel for my mayhem and as long as I can perform bafoonery it doesn’t matter if this stomach is flat or not

Tanis had been so deeply focused on the task of folding napkins around cutlery that she found herself shook back to reality when a very familiar voice suddenly sounded a little closer to her than what she had expected. She abandoned the task at hand and looked up, wisps of hairs that had gotten loose from her high bun framing her face, only to be faced with Avi and Sinead.
A soft smile its way to her face, feeling relieved that she didn’t have to put on her perfect customer service persona for this particular expedition.
“Sorry,” she said, as she reached for two menus and placed them on the bar in front of them. “But we don’t serve upper middle class people here. This is solely a place for the rabble so I’m afraid that you will have to go elsewhere to eat.”

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:00 pm 

The smile on Sinead's lips turned crooked out of sheer surprise. Sinead felt certain that Tanis was speaking with a tease, yet her parted lips remained wordless, before she, eventually, bit her bottom lip in an attempt to swallow the grin. Though she was confident enough to know Tanis was only joking, Sinead didn't dare be the one to push familiarities onto their conversation. It a relief when Avi spoke.
"How about something to drink, then?" Avi countered with ease, taking the menu with a glimmer to his eye. It was almost a juvenile exchange, and while Sinead helped herself to a stool, Avi himself remained standing as he opened the menu.
By his side, Sinead was gingerly undoing the knot of her scarf, eyes never leaving Tanis. It really was something else to see the woman at work, especially in the fuzzy hours of the night.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:14 pm 

This body is a vessel for my mayhem and as long as I can perform bafoonery it doesn’t matter if this stomach is flat or not

There was something a little unnerving about the way that Sinead kept watching her, even if Tanis knew that it was probably just a slight wonder of seeing Tanis in a different setting from what they were used to. In fact, Tanis was only cracking jokes because she too was slightly weirded out by seeing Avi and Sinead at her diner. She knew that Sinead got off late at night, but why they decided to come here was a wonder to her.
“We’re not happy about it, but we gotta pay the bills somehow,” she said with a crooked grin, as she grabbed her small notepad and her pen from her apron. “Can I get you anything to drink while you look at the menu?”

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:28 pm 

Out of courtesy rather than of necessity, Sinead glanced over at her husband. Avi had moved to take his suit jacket off and in the quiet of the diner, his movements seemed almost out of proportion distracting.
"I'll have a decaf," she eventually answered, eyes darting back to Tanis with a toothy smile. Slowly feeling comforted by Tanis' jokes, Sinead found herself relaxing into the situation, no longer as tense about the feeling of intrusion.
"Regular for me," Avi interjected, looking down at his wrist watch with a look of eminent exhaustion. On nights like these, their schedules were so out of sync that Avi could not afford winding down with Sinead.
With a soft sound, Avi finally seated himself, immediately opening the menu in front of him.
"Did you find out whether or not we could eat, miss?" the question was spoken with a tease, but Avi's features were soft as he looked up at Tanis with a smile.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:40 pm 

Even if it was a silly thing to joke with, Tanis was still glad that Avi and Sinead just caught onto it and followed along with her joke. As she poured them each a cup of coffee, clearly used to having to juggle several chores at the same time, she shrugged while still grinning.
“Alright, fine,” she stated, placing the cups in front of them, decaf for Sinead and regular for Avi. It was only then she noticed that the cook was staring meanly at her, clearly not a fan of her tone with the customers and she did for a moment wonder how she was going to explain herself, but it was much more worth it to just joke around.
“We’re not keen on it, but you two seem alright so I’ll allow it.”

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:48 pm 

"Lucky us," Sinead pitched in, a shadow of a grin to her lips as she glanced back at Tanis. It was only then that she moved, blindly opening the tattered menu. Once opened, she glanced down, barely looking at the words printed on the page.
"Anything you'd recommend?" she asked, glancing back up at Tanis. The smile remained on her lips, unabashedly meeting the other woman's eye, before glancing towards the menu boards behind her. "Whats the soup of the day?"

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:16 pm 

Tanis shrugged at the question, not sure if what the two of them actually liked and thus didn’t really feel confident in guiding them on it. The soup of the day was an easier question to answer and thus she decided to just go with that.
“Soup of the day is a wedding soup,” she stated, clearly having said it several times today already, but she didn’t mind the repetition. It was easier when she didn’t have to think too much about what she had to say.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:07 am 

Tanis had barely answered before Sinead closed the menu back up. Though not historically uncommon for Sinead and Avi to eat out at this time of night, Sinead had never fully wrapped around what was appropriate to have. She ordered with a soft smile. "I'll have that, then, with an side of fries, please."
"I'll have the breakfast platter," Avi said, eyes still on the menu as he once again went over the contents of the dish. "But, uh - no bacon, please, Miss."
With that he looked up, first at Sinead, then at Tanis. There was still an air of morning easiness to him despite having come from the station. His smile was familiar, in the back of his mind wanting to ask whether or not Tanis preferred this distance to their conversations, but something stopped him from speaking it out loud.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:07 pm 

“Sure thing,” Tanis stated with a warm smile, quickly scribbling down the order on her notepad, knowing that Maurice always had her ass when she forgot and just yelled at him.
“I’ll make sure he keeps the bacon and sausages away from your platter, sir.,” she said before heading towards the kitchen to leave the order.
It was only once she had actually read the order out loud and handed it to Maurice he started scolding her. It wasn’t the first time they had been in arguments about her tone with the guests, but she knew that this was bad, even for her. In fact, if it hadn’t been all a joke, she would agree that this was too much, but she also didn’t think that it was any of his business.
“Relax Maurice, I know them,” she said with a shake of her head, before she took a sip from her water. “He is my attorney and she is his wife.”

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:47 pm 

In the quiet of the diner, the muffled sound of a male voice stemming from the kitchen resonated across the dining floor. Though none of the other patrons seemed to pay it any mind, both Avi and Sinead looked at each other.
Their immediate look was one of mirrored surprise, before Sinead inevitably cracked a smile, huffing out a choked laugh. Avi's smile grew slower, but appeared none the less.
"Do you think that's because of us?" he asked, voice soft as a whisper, but a smile still on his lips.
Sinead, who had raised her cup of coffee to her lips, only shrugged a probably, her eyes darting from her husband to the door through which Tanis had disappeared.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:05 pm 

“Are you going to make me a wedding soup with a side of fries and a breakfast platter, without any kind of pork, or are you going to keep whining about how I talk to people I now?” Tanis fired back at the cook. She and Maurice did normally have a good enough tone among each other, but they were both tired and overworked, so it usually ended up lie that with the two of them. There was no bad blood between them and she knew that they were going to forgive each other soon enough.
“Please?”

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:53 pm 

Finally, a laugh made it past Avi's lips; a whole-hearted, snorted sound as he did his best to contain it.
By his side, Sinead snickered into her cup of coffee, shoulders bobbing at her own choked laugh, as Avi forced a cough to cover up the laughs.
Underneath their genuine amusement there was, however, a shared feeling of worry. Reaching out for her husband, Sinead placed a hand above Avi's elbow in a soft attempt to calm him down, not wanting either of them to add to any possible tension unfolding in the kitchen.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:34 pm 

Once she had made sure that Maurice had started cooking, Tanis went back out to join Avi and Sinead, not sure if they actually wanted her company or it had been more of a coincidence that they came by, but she was going to give it a go.
“It took some negotiations, but the cook is on it,” she stated with a crooked grin as soon as she returned to the bar, refilling her own cup of coffee that she kept under the bar, just out of sight from customers.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:29 pm 

"Lovely," Sinead answered, her voice easy despite the lingering laughter. Placing the cup back onto its saucer, she turned it with a push with her finger to its ear.
"Has it been a busy evening?" she inquired, some sarcasm in the corner of her mouth. The diner wasn't busy by any means, yet there were more patrons scattered about than she had expected there to be at this hour.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:00 pm 

Tanis shrugged at the question, taking a sip from her coffee. Her sore legs did tell a story of having been busy for most of her shift, but she hadn’t really felt like they had been all that busy.
“It’s been alright, nothing too crazy,” she said as she placed her cup back under the counter and back out of sight. “But enough for me to not get bored.”

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:54 pm 

Sinead's eyes remained on Tanis, underplayed but unabashed interest painted across her expression. It wasn't that the conversation was riveting by any means, but Sinead still enjoyed hearing about Tanis' day, however brief the summary had been.
"Sounds like a perfect balance," she offered, encouragingly.
Finally, her eyes left the other woman, turning towards Avi. "You have a crazy morning ahead of you, don't you, love? I'm just heading home to bed."
Avi, whose attention had fuzzed out over the fresh cup of coffee, seemed to regain focus with a little, huffed chuckle. "No, yeah - I won't get bored either."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:20 am 

Tanis enjoyed the no-stakes conversation she had with the couple. It was enough to keep her entertained but also not something where she had to come with all sorts of crazy things.
“Going to court?” She asked, unsure what Avi actually did when he wasn’t talking with her and trying to make sense of her case. Not for the first time, she felt bad for having drawn Avi into the mess that was her life, but she also knew that she couldn’t do without his help.
“Or anything else?”

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:58 pm 

Avi's expression softened, almost as if Tanis' question had cornered him into a response he didn't really find necessary. There was still a smile lingering in the corner of his mouth, and he deliberately spoke with no infliciton.
"I'm going to bail out a young man," he said softly, wanting to be both respectful and matter of factly, not really interested in letting the conversation linger.
So, his eyes shifted from Tanis to the wall clock behind her. With a nod towards it he added a, "He didn't call himself; they arrested him about 45 minutes ago, so I'm only stalling to give them enough time to finish the paperwork before I ask them to start it all over."
By the end of the sentence, Avi's smile had gone crooked, unable to keep that professional distance - not when it had been 45 minutes since he himself had been woken up for the day's work.
Sinead, on the contrary already knew the story; her eyes had lingered on Tanis, more interested in her reaction than in Avi's plans for the morning. She did, however, glance at her husband, easily hearing the smile in his voice - which, in turn, had made her smile, reaching out to pat his knee beneath the counter.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:51 pm 

As they had been working on her case together, Tanis had gotten a pretty good idea of how Avi was as a person, and had learnt that he was surprisingly petty. It had been a quality that Tanis quite liked in him, finding it to indicate a bit of a rebellious streak in him, which made her feel safe in him handling her case and in hanging around at their house.
“Seems like a good plan,” she said with a crooked grin. She looked over at the window, where Maurice was putting down her two plates and ringing the bell.
“I’ll go grab your food,” she stated as she started walking, glad that the diner was quiet enough that she didn’t have to pay much attention to anyone but the coupl.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 308 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 16  Next