All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 308 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 16  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:35 pm 

Blog: View Blog (0)

Sinead knew it had been another long day for Avi - most likely for Tanis, too. It was a Thursday afternoon and even though Avi had gotten in his 9 hours at the law firm, Tanis had arrived at their doorstep only 30 minuttes after Avi had. The pair had been quietly discussing her case behind the closed door of Avi's home office ever since.
Sinead, who had an evening shift to look forward to, had respected her husband late work hours. That was, at least, until the clock marked 8 o'clock.
She had gotten up from the dinette set in their kitchen, crossing their home to knock on that eternally shut office door. Though she didn't open the door, her hand fell on the handle.
"I made dinner," she declared, no real question in her voice. "Let me fix you each a plate - you can have it in there if you'd like."

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 2:08 am 

This body is a vessel for my mayhem and as long as I can perform bafoonery it doesn’t matter if this stomach is flat or not

Not for the first time, Tanis felt bad about all the time Avi was spending on her case. Most people would have just dropped it by now and told her to take whatever deal they offered her, but Avi was relentless.
When she heard the knock on the door, followed up by Sinead’s voice she only got more guilty. It was clear that both she and Avi had lost track of time completely and now it was getting very late. More than anything, Tanis felt like she should leave, but she also knew that they weren’t done working yet.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 3:38 pm 

"You can come in," Avi replied his wife, eyes still on the table in front of him. More out of habit than out of distrust, he restacked a pile of the papers they had been looking at, covering the more sensitive details.
When Sinead opened the door, Avi glanced up, meeting her eye with a smile.
"Are you kids about done with your homework?" Sinead teased, no ill will to her voice. She didn't mind Avi's erratic work hours, and when her husband leaned back in his office chair, she felt reaussred he had taken no offence to her question.
"We still have a bit to go, yeah," he said, though it didn't manage to fully reciprocate the line of the tease. His eyes darted first to the wall clock, and then to Tanis. "What do you say, Tanis? Should we take a break?"
Sinead's hand slipped from the door handle when Avi directed the deciding power to the woman sitting across from him. Instead, Sinead's hands found her skirt, palms thoughtlessly brushing down the front of it as if to straighten an invisible fold.
Her eyes, however, found Tanis' with a crooked smile. "I hope you haven't sat here starving, I'm certain he's forgotten to offer you any."

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 12:32 pm 

This body is a vessel for my mayhem and as long as I can perform bafoonery it doesn’t matter if this stomach is flat or not

Tanis sincerely doubted that she was ever going to get used to just how polite the couple was towards her. They always treated her with such respect that Tanis almost felt like crying, knowing that there was no way she would ever be able to pay them back for what they had done for her.
“I’m fine,” she said with a strained smile, feeling absolutely exhausted, but she also wanted to be able to finish their work up. That being said, it was probably going to be just fine with a brief break and then for them to get right back to work after.
“Let’s take a break though,” she added, only now feeling her stomach complaining.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 5:06 pm 

When Tanis offered her preference, both Sinead and Avi movedWhile Sinead only shifted her posture, her smile widening, Avi pressed both hands to the armrest in a pointed gesture.
"Alright," Sinead encouraged, just how pleased she was by that response ebbing over into her tone of voice. Thoughtlessly, she turned her shoulders, offering more space in the hallway.
"Come along, then," she mused, daring to assume that the break would entail them leaving the office for the first time since Tanis had arrived. Her smile cracked into a grin, her eyes wandering from Tanis to her husband, who had stood up. "I made you saag aloo."
"Avi's a vegetarian and gets babied a lot to accommodate it," she pointed, the laugh in his voice and the grimace on Avi's features solidifying how this was an inside joke Tanis was being let in on.
The easy, relaxed smile remained when she once looked at the other woman. "There's meat on the side, if you're interested."

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:01 pm 

As Tanis left the office with the couple, she was overwhelmed by the smell of the food that Sinead clearly had been spending a lot of time cooking. It smelled amazing, making Tanis realise just how hungry she was and how much she wanted to eat. It had probably been a good decision to take a break to eat, even if they still had a lot of work to do.
“I am basically a vegetarian by now,” Tanis stated with a wry grin, rarely able to afford buying meat and this it was a rare luxury to her.
“But I am going to take advantage of it now that it’s here,” she added with a somewhat shy smile, hoping that Sinead didn’t find her too forward about it. It constantly seemed like she was taking advantage of the couple, the two of them far kinder than Tanis felt like she deserved, and she just wanted to do something in return, even if she still had no idea how.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:37 pm 

At that, chuckle escaped Sinead, the honesty catching her off guard, however much appreciated it was.
"Good girl," she praised, transparently pleased by Tanis' response. The comment was accompanied an almost private grin, happy to be able to share with Tanis something which Avi so evidently didn't show any interest in, as Sinead angled past the other woman towards the stove. "Short ribs does a body good."
Avi, who either hadn't heard the sweetness of the praise or had chosen to ignore it, had instead gone to the drawers, picking up three sets of cutlery.
"Do take a seat, Tanis," he urged with a friendly smile, as he cast a glance in her direction. However much time Tanis spent in their home, Avi could tell she still felt like she was intruding. "Anywhere's fine."

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:24 pm 

Not for the first time around Sinead, Tanis felt quite flustered. She didn’t know what to do with the compliment, or even if she should consider it a compliment in the first place. It really was extremely unfair that Avi not only was nice and helped her out with her case, but also had an amazingly beautiful wife, who also seemed too kind for her own good.
It was the source of a constant headache for Tanis, not wanting to come across as rude while also not wanting to accidentally overstep her boundaries.
“You guys are far too kind,” she stated with a flustered grin, as she, almost gingerly, took a seat at the table. It seemed like far too much and she never really knew how to accept this level of kindness.
“You better watch out or I might never leave.”

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:12 pm 

Both Sinead and Avi reacted to that, independently of one another. They both turned, almost instinctively, towards Tanis as she had joked. In the end, it was Sinead who spoke first.
"Do you want to spend the night?" she asked, trying to figure out if Tanis had concealed an ounce of truth beneath her joke. She intentionally didn't allow herself to linger, once again turning towards the two pots on the stove, wanting to take any edge off her question.
As she served the first plate of the potato stew, Avi joined Tanis by the table. Whatever he had intended on saying seemed to have taken a back seat to Sinead's line of inquiry, yet nothing about his demeanor showed any sign of disapproval.
"It's late," Sinead added, thoughtlessly agreeing to a statement that hadn't been made. Sinead and Avi themselves lead such a upturned life they rarely paused to consider its effect on others. Having served another plate of stew - to this adding a serving of braised short ribs - Sinead approached the table, Sinead offered each of them their respective plate. "Our schedule is inconsiderate like that."
The addition was spoken with a smile, eyes flickering upwards to meet Tanis', before returning to the stove to serve herself a plate.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:04 pm 

The offer to spend the night genuinely took Tanis by surprise, having not intended to imply anything other than just a quick joke. She couldn’t comfortably accept anymore from the couple though, that much she knew, but she also didn’t want to come across as rude.
The plate that was placed in front of her both looked and smelled amazing, making her realise just how poorly she ate on a regular basis. There was something far too intimate in the way that Sinead seemed to constantly want to take care of her, something Tanis wasn’t used to and which caught her by surprise every single time.
“Oh, no. It’s fine,” she scrambled, unsure how to properly voice this. “You are already doing enough for me.”

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:14 pm 

Though Sinead was a devout Christian, the couple had never integrated grace into their routine; Avi had picked up his fork the moment Sinead joined them at the table with a plate of her own.
"Don't draw the line at that," he finally interjected. His eyes left his plate in favor for the young woman besides him, and, as he thoughtlessly turned the fork in his hand, he offered her a kind smile. "That requires neither time nor effort."
At that, Sinead hummed in agreement.
"Well, we'd have to unfold the sofa," she offered after a moment, a joking correction to the grandeur of Avi's statement.
Avi made a face at that, knowing Sinead was, technically right. His eyes had once again returned to the plate, pushing at the steaming stew with his fork.
"Alright, so it requires some time and effort," he reluctantly admitted. He had by then chosen the best piece of potato, raising it off the plate. His eyes met his wife's over the the potato speared onto his fork, and, for the first time, it was his turn to address her with a knowing grin. "- but I'm certain Sinead would gladly do that."

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:59 pm 

While Tanis didn’t doubt for a second that the couple didn’t think it to be a big deal, she also knew that there was no way that she would be able to accept that level of kindness towards her. Reluctantly, she started to dig into her dinner, not because she didn’t think that it looked delicious, but once against because she felt that it was far too much.
“I have to draw the line somewhere, don’t I?” She asked with a crooked grin, trying to use some humour to diffuse the seriousness of her statement. She really did feel like she had to stop accepting things from the couple sooner or later and this seemed like an obvious contender.
“It’s all good, it is no bother for me to just get home,” she said with a warm smile, looking down at her plate mostly.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:03 am 

Sinead couldn't say she was surprised Avi and Tanis were still working. Avi had a tendency of working around the clock, and his pro bono clients rarely had the means or the time to decline his help, even if it meant doing clerical work at off hours of the day. It was, however, beyond any reasonable time of night.
She understood that Tanis' defense was complicated but as the clock edged past 2 a.m., Sinead found herself once again knocking at the office door.
This time, she didn't wait for Avi's permission to enter, though she did linger for a heart beat before opening the door, allowing her husband time enough to settle himself.
As she opened the door, she looked almost exasperated - though not surprised - to find them exactly where they were the last time she visited the office, 6 hours prior.
"I'm putting an end to this," Sinead said. Her eyes had flickered between the two of them, but her wordsdirected at her husband. The annoyance in her voice was superficial, softened by the air of disbelief in her smile. "I'm leaving for work, and I'm taking Tanis with me. You're going to ruin yourselves at this pace."

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:14 pm 

Tanis was exhausted.
She knew that they had to keep up the work for at least a little while longer, but her eyes were burning and the things that Avi told her were starting to make less and less sense; either due to her sleep exhaustion or to his. Under normal circumstances, it would have made sense for them to stop and take a break, but they were under a scary time constraint and thus they had to keep going.
Thus, it was a huge relief when Sinead broke into the office, not even waiting for Avi to respond to her knocking, and told her that she was going to take Tanis with her. It was probably for the better, seeing as they probably weren’t going to get any proper work done with how tired they were anyway.
“That okay with you, boss?” Tanis asked with a tired smile, looking at Avi but very aware of the fact that Sinead probably wasn’t going to let her stay as much as a second longer.
“Anything that we desperately need to go over right now? If there’s anything I can just come by after work tomorrow.”

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:30 pm 

The way the room was laid out left Avi facing both women; Tanis, in the chair in front of him and Sinead towering above both of them, standing upright in the doorway. At Tanis' question, his expression faltered, feeling the weight of both their presences. Despite the exhaustion in his expression, there was a mildness about him when his eyes flickered to his wife, transparently giving away that he doubted he had a say in it.
When he spoke, there was a gentle smile ghosting at his lip. "Nothing important, no."
Sinead had nothing short of adoration for her husband, and she recognized the almost grateful tone of easy accept; in fact, she knew he'd be in bed before they'd even be out of the driveway.
"Take a break - both of you," Sinead urged; though her tone of voice was gentle, her words were bold, as she finally stepped into the room. She knew the late hours were a result of a tight deadline, but Tanis' was not the only pro bono case Avi was preparing for. "Give yourself the day off."
The conversation was still directed at her husband, Sinead's words bypassing the young woman in front of him. She knew him to be the driving force between late hours like this, and so, with a gentle touch, Sinead's hand found Tanis' shoulder in an encouraging, grounding little gensture. "Let's go, honey."
Though Sinead hadn't come close to him, Avi relaxed into the chair, as if the caress was brushed against his own skin. Finally succumbing to the - rather unprofessional - instinct to rub at his eyes, Avi pushed his reading glasses up onto his forehead.
"Just do as she says," he blindly exhaled, tired but almost a chuckle, before both his hands settled at the nape of his neck. His eyes were pink at the corners when he once again blinked the world into focus. "I'll be in touch tomorrow."

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:13 pm 

It was abundantly clear to Tanis, having seen the dynamic of Sinead and Avi so many times by now that she knew their little dance by heart, that Sinead definitely was the boss in that relationship. There was nothing rude or mean about it, it obviously came from a place of great caring, yet Sinead often had a very severe tone towards Avi and Tanis simply figured that that was what was needed.
“Alright, boss,” she said with a soft smile, leaving it ambitious whether it was Sinead or Avi she was addressing. She got up from her seated position, her limbs slightly stiff after the many hours of sitting and pouring over documents. It wasn’t something she minded, knowing just how big of a favour that Avi was doing for her, so she was willing to do whatever she had to do to make her case the best it possibly could be.
“If it’s after 4 I’ll be at the diner,” she stated, not wanting Avi to be unable to reach her. “You can just call me there.”

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:09 pm 

Avi nodded at that, slowly, before finally seeming to accept that he wouldn't be able to remember it, if he didn't make a note of it.
With a heavy exhale, he straightened his posture, reaching for his pen and planner. The last air of professionalism had left the room, meaning the motion of making an annotation for tomorrow seemed that more exhausting.
"After 4," he repeated, writing a little TC work in the margin of his already filled day planner. He could already tell he wouldn't reach Tanis at home.
"You're fine with that?" he pressed, as he himself moved to get up from his chair. His attention had resettled on Tanis, wanting to make sure she was, in fact, okay discussing her case at her place of work.
"You can phone me, and I can deliver the message on my way home," Sinead offered, trying not to let any affliction seep into her tone of voice; though she, too, seemed hesitant about the implications of having Tanis take that time out of her shift. "I'm off at 3, and I don't mind waiting."
It was only then Sinead turned to look at Tanis now that the other woman was standing. Sinead was smiling, reassuringly, wanting nothing more than do her part in solving the logistical troubles.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:28 pm 

It really wasn’t an ideal scenario for Avi to reach her at work, that much Tanis already knew, but if it was the only viable option she would just have to make do. It wasn’t really that unusual for the diner for the girls to have to take calls during service, so she would just make sure to warn her coworkers and she would be fine.
The offer from Sinead shouldn’t really surprise her anymore, but it still did. She kept feeling like she was taking too much from the couple and every new favour they did for her sat like a pit in her stomach, too aware of the fact that she was never going to be able to make it up to them.
“Oh, I wouldn’t want to be a bother,” she said, already aware that she was probably going to have to fight Sinead on this. It was surreal to her that people she had only known for such a short amount of time seemed so willing to do so much for her.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:10 pm 

Sinead's smile widened at that, humored that they weren't well past the point of pretending Tanis was a bother, in any shape or form.
"I know," she replied, a chuckle creeping into her voice.
"Let's consider it settled then," Sinead continued in the broader sense of the conversation. Her attention finally left Tanis in favour of her husband, who looked even less surprised by the turn of events than Sinead could have expected. "If you send it by radiofax to the office, I'll bring it around to the diner on my way home."
Avi, smiling, nodded at that, having no objections to it. Any legal communication was better done in writing, as discreetly as possible. "Will do."
"Are you ready to go then, Tanis?" Sinead went on, understanding the conversation to be done. When she glanced at her wrist watch, it was more of a instinctive gesture than anything else. They were doing fine on time, even taken into consideration that Sinead didn't know precisely where she would be dropping Tanis off.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:47 pm 

It hadn’t at all been the result that Tanis had counted on when she said that she didn’t want to be a bother, but she probably should know Sinead better by now than to think that she would ever describe Tanis as a bother. It was still something that was very overwhelming for Tanis to take in but she was getting more and more used to it.
“Alright, yeah, sure,” she said as she got up from her chair, feeling stiff in her joints from having been sitting down for so long. She tried to subtly stretch out a little, but she knew that her best bet probably was just to go home and get however much sleep she would be able to get before she had to go to work.
The entire thing was absolutely taking all of her energy and while she was grateful for everything that Avi was doing for her, she really couldn’t wait til the entire thing was over and she could go back to living normally.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 308 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 16  Next