All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 308 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:54 pm 

Blog: View Blog (0)

Avi hummed out a soft laugh at Tanis' question, his eyes remaining on the traffic around him. He knew from experience that the time Sinead started her evening shifts was the same time the surrounding offices ended for the day, making for denser traffic than before. "I don't think they're are a fan of me driving."
It didn't occur to him to specify who they were, but as he glanced towards Tanis with a mild smile, he felt assured she knew exactly who.

As they once again ventured down the same road, they were the only moving car on the road. Primarily office buildings, it didn't come to Avi as a surprise that the telephone dispatch company where Sinead worked was the only building that still seemed awake.
Pulling up to the same curb parking as they had upon bringing her to her shift, Avi let the car run in neutral. His attention was momentarily upon the few dozen of women exiting the building at the end of their 3am shift, but as he didn't immediately recognize his wife in the dim lighting, he turned his attention to the woman on the passenger seat next to him. "Where can we drop you off? Are you heading home?"

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 3:20 pm 

This body is a vessel for my mayhem and as long as I can perform bafoonery it doesn’t matter if this stomach is flat or not

Tanis was exhausted and she was already dreading the shift she was about to head into. It was necessary if she wanted to pay Avi even a little for his troubles and if she wanted to live, so she was going to have to power through it.
“Heading to work. Know the diner by the pier?” She asked, hoping that Avi would know where it was. If she was lucky, the diner wasn’t going to be too busy for tonight and she would be able to get away with halfassing her shift. It wasn’t her normal approach to work, but it was an extraordinary situation so she wouldn’t feel too bad about it.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 4:29 pm 

Avi had to give it a moments thought but did, eventually, nod. Though he didn't know the exact address, he could probably get close enough for Tanis to direct him the last few blocks.
"I do," he ended up adding, not sure if his initial response had been visible in the sparse streetlight. He, too, refrained from commenting on Tanis' off work hours; after all, Avi was still technially on the clock, too, and Sinead's shift had just finished.
When Avi one again turned his attention out of the window, he inattentively shifted his posture as he finally locked eyes with his approaching wife. With a little nod backwards, Avi saw Sinead's features first reflect confusion and then, genuine delight. Without any further objections, she instead seated herself on the passenger's seat behind Avi.
"What a pleasure seeing you again, Tanis," Sinead said, her voice still bright and alert despite the odd hour. The scarf she had been wearing around her hair on her way to work was now tied around her neck, and she shifted in her seat as she stripped herself of her over coat. "I thought I had to go days without your company."
Sinead saw her husband grin in the rear view mirror, but the man did not otherwise comment. Instead, he pulled the car into gear. and pulled out into the empty road. "I've promised that we would drop her off at work, Sinnie."

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 2:54 pm 

This body is a vessel for my mayhem and as long as I can perform bafoonery it doesn’t matter if this stomach is flat or not

Once again, Sinead managed to get Tanis flustered with her compliments. It was a little overwhelming to Tanis that Sinead always seemed genuinely excited to see her and spend time with her; a scenario that Tanis didn’t really know how to handle.
It wasn’t like it meant anything more than just Sinead being hospitable and polite, but she was very attractive and Tanis was very weak aroundgood-looking women. As long as she didn’t get herself too distracted and managed to stay in her corner it would be fine, no matter how attractive she found Sinead to be.
“Sometimes you get to be lucky,” she said with a soft smile, looking at Sinead over her shoulder to be able to look at her properly. She ran a hand through her hair, knowing that she would have to tie it up or braid it soon, but she wanted to wait with that for as long as possible. She preferred to keep her hair loose if she could and usually only tied it up for demos or work. “And I guess I do too.”

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 3:42 pm 

Sinead had positioned herself in the middle of the bench seat; when Tanis turned to face her, and the proximity decreased, Sinead's smile inevitably grew. Sinead, who otherwise had her full attention on Tanis, couldn't help but eye the movement of Tanis' hand, as her fingers disappeared in and out of the pitch black hair. The woman was truly beautiful, even in the harsh, passing street lights.
Finally, Sinead once again met Tanis' eye with no visible embarrassment for having allowed her gaze to linger. "That's really lovely, Tanis."
Though perfectly innocent, the corners of Sinead's mouth turned upwards in an almost teasing smile; Sinead didn't have to look to know Avi was humoured on her expense. Regardless, Sinead continued in the same off handed tone of voice. "Do you get lucky often?"

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 11:32 pm 

The question caught Tanis by surprise and, unable to find a satisfactory answer, she turned to look out on the road again, biting down on her bottom lip as she did so. She had no idea how to answer that question without offending her attorney, who she couldn’t get herself to take a look at. She knew that she wasn’t doing anything inappropriate, but it still felt like crossing the line of what she should be able to get away with if she started flirting with her attonrney’s wife.
“Not particularly,” she ended up stating, not sure what else she could possibly say. She did keep herself very busy with work and with punching cops, something Avi would know too much about that particular hobby of her’s.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 2:09 pm 

"3 am is no time for Godliness, Sinead," Avi interjected without taking his eyes off the road. Out of the corner of his eyes, he was in the rear view mirror how Sinead leaned back into her seat, a dangerous smile on her lips. They both very well knew Sinead had had no intention of reciting the Bible to Tanis. "Any western god is fast asleep by now."
At that, Sinead couldn't help but laugh, resolving some of the electric tension her smile had put into the atmosphere. With nimble fingers she undid the knotted scarf around her neck, and, having no further comment, her eyes turned to watch the street passing by her window.
"Is it his right hand turn or the next, Tanis?" Avi questioned, glancing over at the girl by his side. The softness of his expression showed no signs of understanding the innuendos in his wife's questions.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:36 am 

Avi’s question brought Tanis out of her reverie together with Sinead; something she was quite thankful for. She didn’t really know what to think about the tension between herself and her attorney’s wife, but she knew that she had to behave. There was no way she could keep flirting with Sinead and still have Avi help her, so she had to get her priorities in order.
“Yes, if you take a sharp left directly after you will get out back to the store,” she explained, finding that to be the better alternative rather than being dropped off in front of the store. She didn’t really want to answer any questions from her coworkers as to who were dropping her off at this hour, so it was easier that way

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:24 pm 

While Avi did seem to take notice of Tanis' explicit request to be dropped off at what could only be the secondary entrance, he made no comment about it. After all, he didn't know the full situation, so he just nodded at the directions.
"How long is your shift?" he asked as he made the right hand turn. His attention was elsewhere as he oriented himself to turn in the opposite direction, but his question had once again brought Sinead's eyes upon Tanis.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:40 pm 

“Only til 8 til the morning crew meets in,” Tanis stated with a soft shrug, not finding it to be too bad. Sure, she was exhausted already, but it was nothing a strong cup of coffee wouldn’t be able to fix; at least until the morning crew got in.
“So nothing too bad.”

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:30 pm 

Avi just hummed at that, figuring it wasn't as bad as he had expected.
"You could almost have breakfast with her on your way to work, love," Sinead commented, half a tease to her voice. She often found that Avi had a lot of opinions for a man who practically worked around the clock, either doing company work or non profit.
"Yeah, almost," he answered, not taking much notice of the tease. Instead, he slowed the car, trying to distinguish the back of a diner between the other industrial, one story buildings. "Do you live near by? It's no bother if you need a ride home, I have to be at the office at 8:30."

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:00 pm 

Already feeling like Avi and Sinead were doing far too much for her, Tanis couldn’t possibly accept a ride home as well. She knew that it probably didn’t mean much to Avi, but it was too much for her and she couldn’t accept it. It just made her feel further indebted to the couple and she didn’t like having outstanding debts with anyone.
“Thanks, but that’s really not necessary,” she said with a weak smile, wanting to be polite, but also firmly reject the offer. “It’s right here, you can just drop me off by the blue door.”

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:21 pm 

Avi did as instructed, pulling up to the empty curb. The action, he soon realized, was unnecessary, because he doubted any other vehicle was on these streets at this time of day. However, as he shut the ignition, he could hear that the diner indeed seemed at work.
"Let's meet on Monday," he suggested, turning to look away from the door and back at Tanis. "If anything changes at court I'll call you, and we might have to schedule an earlier meeting, but I doubt it."
Thoughlessly, Avi glanced up at Sinead through the rear view mirror, meeting his wife's eyes who had already been looking at him.
At that, Sinead nodded. "We have no plans this weekend," she agreed. Her hands had moved back onto her purse, but she didn't have to check her calendar to know. "You do what you have to do, the house is as always at your disposal."

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:33 pm 

Tanis unbuckled her seatbelt as Avi spoke to her, softly nodding along as she untangled the belt from her jacket and her hair. The kindness of her lawyer and his wife kept overwhelming Tanis every time she was exposed to it and she never really knew what to do about herself.
“If I don’t pick up at home, you can just call the diner. I have to pick up a lot of extra shifts if I want to even dream of ever paying you,” she stated as she exited the car. There was no deal about payment for Avi’s time and services, but Tanis knew that she wanted to pay him something.
She turned to look inside the car, a soft smile on her lips as she did. “Thank you, but I think I intrude enough already.”

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:18 pm 

Avi and Sinead had inadvertedly exchanged a look. It was only a quick glance, but as Sinead's eyes lingered on her husband, she saw him part his lips to argue against Tanis' words and then regret it. When he ended up just nodding, Sinead couldn't help but smile.
Wanting to give Avi the opportunity to reconsider, Sinead too got out of the car. As Tanis spoke, Sinead had circled the car, intending to take her seat
When Avi didn't speak, Sinead continued.
"Please take care of yourself," she said, her voice soft as she took a further towards Tanis, almost managing to position herself between Tanis and the side of their car. Wanting to catch her eye, Sinead tipped her head to one side, and a smile slowly grew on her lips.
"That's all he's trying to do." When she spoke, Sinead's brows furrowed, but the smile didn't leave. Though her words said differently it was already at that moment evident that they weren't going to accept any payment for their troubles. "Don't overwork yourself, we will figure something out."

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:33 pm 

Tanis had been focusing on Avi so she hadn’t noticed that Sinead had moved around the car to stand in front of her. She was quite a bit taller than Tanis, forcing Tanis to look up to meet her eye, which shook something inside her, making her mouth go dry.
It took her a moment too long to realise what Sinead was actually saying and that that probably warranted a response.
“I’ll be seeing you,” was all she was left with, not wanting to promise Sinead something she wouldn’t be able to keep. She knew that she was going to keep working her ass off whenever she could in the hopes of being able to pay Avi for all of his help. It was the least she could do.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:51 am 

Unable to notice the fact that Tanis hadn't adressed any of Sinead's concerns, Sinead couldn't help but grin. When everything came to it.m she genuinely appreciated the girl's determination to repay Avi.
"I sure hope so," she ended up saying, the smile brught on her features.

_____

Once again, Sinead ended up seeing Tanis much sooner than expected; early Saturday morning.m Tanis had once again turned up at their front step, after Avi late the previous day had called her, urging her to come at her earliest convenience after new material had been released.
Despite the urgency of Avi's request, he had insisted Sinead stayed and joined them for the breakfast, she had already been in the middle of preprairing. Half a breakfast later, Sinead could understand that the full medical report on the police officer's injuries had been released as evidence.
"They're wanting to rush this," Avi eventually concluded his lengthy analysis of the 100 page report laying in front of him between plates of fruit and toast. The conversation had centered exclusively on Tanis' case, and Sinead had quietly but unbothered followed it from the sideline.
As Avi spoke, he poured himself another glass of tea, and Sinead took that moment to watch her husband. Neither of them was dressed for shop talk this early in the morning; she was dressed in a loose brick coloured dress and Avi, equally comfortable, in slacks and a cotton t shirt. Silently, Sinead said her thanks to the fact that Avi had relaxed around Tanis to still respect a weekend ease.
"It's no coincidence that they released it a Friday evening; I would be surprised if they're not calling me Monday morning to push your date forward," Avi added.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:23 pm 

Tanis ran a hand through her hair, trying to understand what Avi was actually telling her, even if he was quite good at making it simple for her. She was wearing loose jeans and a plain black shirt, her vest with fur on the hem slung over the back of her chair; matching the laidback sense of dress that her hosts were displaying as well.
It was a little out of the ordinary for Tanis to see Sinead and Avi dressed down like that, but Tanis tried not to think too much of it. She had had to show up in kind of a hurry after all, so it made perfect sense for the two of them to not have gotten properly dressed yet.
“Right. Is there anything at all we can do about that? Do I need to punch another cop to get it delayed?” She asked, feeling extremely hopeless about the entire case. She knew that Avi really was doing everything that he could to get her the least amount of punishment, but sometimes she still wondered if the point wasn’t entirely moot. She was going to go to jail no matter what, it was only a question of exactly how long she was going to be there.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:36 pm 

"That's not funny, Tanis," Avi was quick to correct her, but his voice remained as matter of factly as it had when he had spoken about the details of her case. In fact, he had barely glanced up at her from the slice of bread he was buttering.
Without skipping a beat.m he eventually addressed her answer as objectively as any lawyer would. "If needs be, we will drag out the election of your jury."
Avi took a bite of his toast and took his time to chew it before continuing. Sinead had been mindlessly folding and unfolding her cloth napkin but had stopped to watch him.
"I'm not sending you to trial to an all White jury," Avi ended.
"That's good," Sinead agreed, thoughtlessly and softly. Her eyes once again lowered to fold the napkin one last time. "Scum, it what White juries are. They should be ashamed."
With that, she got up to tidy the kitchen counter.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:46 pm 

Tanis knew that her jab hadn’t been funny but she was feeling so much at loss that she had no idea what to do, other than crack jokes. As Avi spoke, Tanis grabbed an orange from the fruit bowl and started peeling in, not so much because she was hungry as for something for her to do with her hands.
When Sinead spoke, it almost shook Tanis.
Sure, she knew that Sinead had a lot of opinions about white people, yet it still managed to shock her every time that opinion became present. It made her feel closer to Sinead though and she always felt a greater sense of trust in her after that.
“Yeah. White juries love cops and while I swear I won’t punch more, then I doubt that they will take kindly to the fact that I already hit one.”

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 308 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next