All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:38 pm 

Hello everyone. Please feel free to speak to me. I am so lonely.

Blog: View Blog (1)

"JC, Gunnersmate, The Agonia...... I am not sure about the name......" He sat on the edge of the bed and put the key into the lock. When the lid was open, it was full of books about many subjects.

"I used to read. I think that I will look through these to find more clues. Thanks for bringing them to me." Benny spoke as he pulled out a couple.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:04 pm 

Medals: 4
1st Year (1) 2nd Year (1)
3rd Year (1) Veteran Member (1)

The group gasped they never saw so many books. Books were scarce and the missionaries only taught from a few bibles. "The each picked up a book and saw pictures. The began to compare pictures and recognized the letters. Olivia had one in another language but the same letters, "What this book?"

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:19 pm 

"It tells about the birds of the world. All of these seem to be books of things in the world like this one is about mammal and this one is about fish. Some of the ones on the bottom are about medicine. No letters or anything. Just several names and dates in the books. Each name has a date when the person acquired the book on.......... as well as another name and date. The last one was JC, Gunnersmate, The Agonia. Other names have two sets of dates but not JC........" 'Benny spoke as he started to put the books back into the chest for the time being.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:10 am 

They were interested in all the nature books and Liania was interested in the medicine. "The missionaries mentioned the word. "Medi seen, missionaries say book needed. Can me keep? JC be you? Name JC."

Liania helped lie down, "Sleep JC. Me come later with food. We look at book. Help JC."

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:01 am 

"For being a doctor, you will need to start with the basics and that would not be surgery. Try this book. It is called anatomy of the body. You will will need to memorize the body parts first. You can not keep the book but you make make a copy of the book for your very own. Do you have any paper? If you don't, I have some in here. You will need to practice making the body parts and the words before you will get the paper." Benny spoke gently as he held out his hand for the thick book and held out a thin book instead.

"I guess my name is JC but I like Benny better. You may look at one of the animal books but these are mine. I want to keep them. I can teach you how to make paper of your very own. After I am better that is. Now I must ask you to leave for a while. I need to rest and think."

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:38 am 

Liania exchanged the book and took the smaller out of his hand, "You healer? Benny, smart pretty man. Me make copy. You sleep. You read all books? Paper, you teach. When better you teach all village. Be like king. Everybody come to church hut. Me go tell when you better."

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:18 pm 

Benny chuckled as he locked the chest. He laid back in the bed even though he was not sleepy. He just needed some time to think while he was resting. JC must be my initials. I wonder what it is.........I'll think of it sooner or later. Perhaps I can just stay here and teach the locals. Maybe i can get more books from the ship that comes here. I could make things to sell or barter with if I had a knife. Carving things is fun.

Benny began to get drowsy and his eyelids slowly closed.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:58 pm 

Later that day Liania tried to copy the book her hand got tired and she knew it was time for a miday meal. She fixed Benny a light meal of fruit bowl, soup, and noodles. "Mini Hey, Benny. Hungry? Me brought you food. Tonight will be big feast. Will bring you to sea sand. Dancing, singing, and fun. You come. Yes."

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:10 pm 

Benny opened his eyes then smiled at Liania.
"Hi. Lunch time already? What is the feast for, Liania?" he asked as he sat on the side of the bed.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:30 pm 

She handed him the bowl of fruit. "We have feat thanking god of mountain not angry. Missionaries not here. We eat boar. Cele..what word? Mikle and friends kill boar. Big um no know word. Big feast, in dark. Firesticks and whole village you meet. You come. Yes. All want meet Benny."

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:37 pm 

"I think that the word you are looking for is celebrate or celebration. I will for a little while. I'll not stay too long. Maybe a snack in few hours and go when it is near dark for the fire sticks." Benny spoke as he began to eat the fruit.
"Is there a small table to eat off? I also can do work on it."

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:15 am 

She listened to him, "Um table." She scratched her head. "Missionaries have table in hut. Chief has um forget name. You talk he make. Not know. Me see. Can get. Benny, head better?"

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:05 pm 

"Yes, some better. I hope that I will be able to start some reading tomorrow. I will start working on lessons for those who wish to have lessons and what kind of lessons they wish to have." Benny spoke softly.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:44 am 

She snickered, "Enlaish, better talk when trading. I have lived on island all me life. Would like see some place new. See big ship but family say me too young. One day, me want talk right. Say right word. Me gots you. You learn me."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:03 pm 

"Let's start with what you just said. Enlaish, better talk when trading. should be English is the better language for trading.
I have lived on island all me life. Say I have lived on this island all of my life.
Would like see some place new. would be I would like to travel to new places.
See big ship but family say me too young. I have seen large ships but my family says that I am too young to go.
One day, me want talk right. Say right word. One day, I want to talk properly and say the right words.
Me gots you. You learn me. I have you to teach me.

I could teach you English but it would be a good idea if you listen carefully to what I say." Benny spoke kindy.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:56 pm 

She shifted her feet and looked at him intently. She smiled appreciating the lesson. He was so kind to help. "I forget what missionary taught. Benny is good teacher. I learn and you teach. I listen to you. That is good? You need sleep so you feel better for feast. I wake you."

She turned from him and left to do her chores. She came back wearing coconut shell bra and green grass skirt with flowers around her wrists and ankles. She tucked a lilly over her ear. A strand of woven lilies was draped over her arm. Mikila and another teen stood beside her "Benny, you awake? Is time for feast. I dancer. Me brother and friend come carry you to feast."

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:01 pm 

He smiled at the girl but laid down in the bed. Before he knew it, Liania was back.

"Yes, I will get up and go with you even though it seemed to be a short nap. " he spoke as he sat up on the edge of the bed. He was going to say that he could walk but how far it was to the feast he could not say.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:08 am 

The young men helped him into a chair made of twigs and carried him on to the beach. The smell of roasted boar, root vegetables, seafood, and coconut permeated the night air. As the evening progressed he was given a spot close to the royal island family. He was introduced to all the important people and lays of lilies were draped around his neck. He was able to watch the fire dancers and hear drums, flutes, and a fiddle-like instrument.

Liania and several young women danced to traditional music and they sang songs to or their ancestors and old gods and songs taught by missionaries. He would know or be familiar with if he were a Christian. As the evening progressed liania sat beside him, "Mahi ney. Welcome Benny. You are one of us. Men have traditional dress clothes for you. They bring many gifts of welcome. Soon you have hut. The take you on hunt soon teach you owr ways and speak. Forget word. Strong drink good for spirit. Tomorrow I give you herbs to make better. We feast. Eat more. King happy. I drink a bit strong drink. You like?"

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:41 pm 

Benny allowed himself be carried to the feast where he ate and enjoyed the singing as well as the dancing. He was very surprised at all of the gifts and the hut was an added bonus. Benny took a drink of the strong drink. The flavor was like a strong mixture of over ripe pineapple and coconut. It must be thier beer or wine from the way it tasted.

"It strong but good, Lianai. You dance very well. I am having fun tonight. Thanks for bringing me here.' benny spoke as he sat there.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:53 am 

She sat beside him as a big bonfire grew, "I am happy you better. You eat more? Many moons before feast of island. We go up rains come all wet. You head better? You see all island Whalleeyee." She pointed to a high mountain. Soon you see lagoon and sit warm water." She moved her arms in front of her the pushed to the side and toward her body and repeated.

"Benny like food and happy?" She got up and went into a nearby hut and brought him a flatbread with honey on a wooden plate. "Tapia. for good thing to come. God food."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next