All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hun for the Hills
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:59 am 

Medals: 4
1st Year (1) 2nd Year (1)
3rd Year (1) Veteran Member (1)
Blog: View Blog (1)

In the year 2114, the Atlantic Allied Alliance was in bitter battle over corruption and greed. The people had enough of unrestrained leadership. Prices for basic care had spun out of control. There was no strong leadership and treaties from other countries became paramount. The aliens that watched the human race had enough and attacks became frequent. No one would take responsibility and allies were hesitant to help. The continent was at war and the smattering of opposing forces came to be called rebels. This was a syndicate made up of groups of gangs, bikers, and ex-cons and every kind of race living on the fringes of society.

Rumors of attacks on the valley of Hillsdale Provence became too real for Fort Winsworth an AAA Fortrus and ammo dump suffered a direct hit on the morning of Domesday Celebrations February 15, 2115. The town was in an utter panic and over half the base destroyed. The fort was 15 miles from town. The citizens raced for the mountains and refuge in Hopesville.

Amy Southerland was an intern at Allatousa Children's Hospital. She had just finished a ten-hour shift and she and her fellow worker heard the intercom, "This is not a drill. This is not a drill. All personnel to the emergency bunker. All patients are to be in shelters 4,5 an 6. All personnel..." Dead Silence.

Amy was in total darkness for ten minutes before emergency lights were ahead of her. She knew the corridor ahead led to a concrete bunker. They had practiced drills for a month. A figure in the darkness handed her a bundle.It was slightly heavy and she could feel it was fleece. She was halfway inside the bunker before she had light enough to see it was a baby. She would have to check it over once there was enough light and she felt it was safe.

The door to the outside was open and she ran to a vacant parking space. The parking deck was a pile of rubble and she knew her car was toast. A large duffle bag was three yards away. She ran towards it and placed the baby on the ground. She knew she was taking a chance as she removed her shoe and threw it at the bag. A direct hit and her shoe was upright beside the bag unharmed. Amy rushed to the bag. It was full of survival gear: Machete, survival knife with a serrated blade, an unscrewable end compass, waterproof matches, a screwdriver, metal saw chain, and whistle. The contents in the bag were two days of clothes including bra and panties, a survival guidebook, seven days of MREs, emergency medic kit, three bottles of water, and an all-in-one mess kit.

She placed all the contents back in, then strapped the bag through both her arms. She cradled the baby and ran across the street. In the distance she could see a silver jeep. Rapid fire blasted. She knew she had to get to the cabin in Hopesville, in the Northwest. Nearby was a McDonalds with broken windows from the blast. She knew Al's Bait and Tackle was a block away.
She ran into the vacant parking lot and stepped cautiously over glass and rubble. She rushed into the area behind the counter and grabbed as many burgers, fries, and fried pies as she could stuff into the side pocket of the unzipped pocket. She skirted to the drink dispenser and filled three large cups of ice, and one with coke. She picked up the cooing baby and stepped gingerly over the glass and rubble and opened a closet. She grabbed towels and toilet paper. She opened the ladies bathroom door placed the baby on the Kuala changing table while she filled the duffle with the paper products.

She slung the duffle on her back and the baby over her shoulder. She rushed to Al's. She could hear people shouting in the distance behind a faint ratt a tat tat of gunfire.
She ran toward the wooden building and the door was open and the building vacant. She grabbed a fishing pole, a tackle box and filled it with bobbers, fishing gears, hooks, fishing line, and an all-in-one knife. She grabbed four bags of beef jerky, formula, and a handful of Snickers, aspirin, Tic Tacs, a toiletry kit, and sunscreen. By the back exit was a box of Pampers, baby bottle, a pacifier, a 12 pack of wipes, and a pack of towels. Sitting on the porch was a fishing cart. She placed all the items on the cart beside the duffle bag. Then she placed the baby on top. The noise was getting closer and she ran into the woods just as a jeep with two men in grey uniforms whizzed by. The radio was blaring a hard rock tune and the machine gun was shooting at anything behind the Jeep. She was over toward the ravine when she met a soldier from her father's regiment. He was in camo battle gear. His was covered in dirt. He looked like he hastily dressed and stood before her pointing his rifle a few feet from her chest. She obviously startled him as she approached the shallow ravine.

She swallowed hard and held the baby tightly, "Easy Ranger, I am on your side. Where is my father, Commander Southerland?"

Last edited by LadyKate43 on Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
 Post subject: Re: Hun for the Hills
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:24 pm 

Blog: View Blog (0)

He hesitates, aiming the gun for a few more seconds, then he lowers it. "Ma'am, I'm sorry to inform you, but I have no idea. I was not stationed near him. I have no idea."

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:06 am 

She was relieved he lowered his weapon. She was worried about her father. She was more curious about the man standing before her. He was covered in dirt debris and looked as terrified as she felt. "I am Amy Southerland and you are?" She looked around and saw no one. Then there could be a whole platoon in ghillie suits. "Are you hurt?"

Last edited by LadyKate43 on Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:40 am 

"Max." He says "My name is Max, Ma'am. And yes, I'm fine. Are you hurt?"

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:50 pm 

Amy moved closer and looked up at him. "Nice to meet you, Max." She extended her hand. "I am all right. I came from work at the hospital." She reached into the duffle bag and pulled out the compass. "I know an old trail that leads to the mountains. You're welcome to travel with me. If that Jeep got through more will follow."

Last edited by LadyKate43 on Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:29 am 

He nods "Guess I'll travel with. Besides, you might need my help, Ma'am."

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:32 am 

"Thank you, Max. Please call me Amy. No need to be formal. Can I ask what you came here to do? Did anyone follow you?"

Amy checked on the sleeping baby and grabbed a smooshed cheeseburger and offered it to Max. "Hungry? I stole a few on the way. The path follows the freeway. We should be at the cabin in a few weeks. We cross two rivers and a lot of creeks. Can you swim? I hope you have a tent on you?"

Last edited by LadyKate43 on Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:12 pm 

He nods. "Okay. And as to how I came here? Well, I havn't got the faintest idea. Fought my way out and found myself here. Made sure I wasn't followed." He nods no to the cheeseburger "And as for swimming, yes, I can. And the bag on my back has the basic necessities to survive. Well, it should."

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:12 am 

Amy nodded, "That's good. I picked up a few items, just no tent. This place is no longer safe. I am glad to have you with me. It will make things easier. Someone gave me the baby at the hospital. We can inventory our supplies later. We got five hours of daylight. We can get to Sunnyside Park. Daddy has a deer blind we can stay in. Do you hunt, Max? Deer is said to be plentiful and we can live off the land. Luckily Mom and Dad took my brother when he was a baby this way. If they can do this so can we. Can you tell me any updates on the war? I am taking us up to Hopeville and there are caves up there. Sorry, I am rambling."

Last edited by LadyKate43 on Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:25 pm 

He nods "I'm better at hunting people, but yes, I can hunt. And also yes, I can tell you all you need to know about the effect of war around this part of the country."

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:53 pm 

Amy was glad he could help, "How safe are we? Should we make alternate plans? I hope my father's o.k. He said if anything happens to head up the Indian Trail and hideout the winter on the family cabin."

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:37 am 

"To tell you the truth, there is no such thing as safe. Only safer. And if your father said to go to the Cabin, we should go. I'd assume it would be stocked with supplies."

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:51 am 

She watched for tree roots and low-hanging branches. The fishing cart was cumbersome The baby was being jostled but still asleep. "I do not even have a name for the baby. I am not sure what I have. When we get to the creek I will check. Where are we in relation to troop movement? Can you tell? I did not think of a radio. Then I worried about noise?"

Last edited by LadyKate43 on Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:36 am 

He nods "If I'm correct, our troops should be locked in a fight with the Rebels a couple of Klicks to my East. That is, if I came out at the right place. They could be farther than I think."

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:16 pm 

Walking was slower than she wanted to... pulling the cart. By the middle of the afternoon, they came to Bear Creek. "The deer blind is two hours away. We got water and let's rest. Are you hungry? Now I can clean up the baby, see what sex it is." She opened the bag of disposable diapers and changed the baby. "It's a he. Max, you want the honor of naming him?"

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:34 pm 

He nods "Why not? How about.... Sam?"

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:30 pm 

She dipped the baby into the shallow water, "Sam sounds good. Mind if I name him after you? What is your full name?"

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:24 pm 

He nods "Go ahead. My full name is Max Kozlov.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:33 pm 

She dressed the baby in one of her extra shirts and added the diaper. "Dad's name is Allen. Samual Allen Maxim Southerland. What do think little guy? Sam, it is. Max do you agree?"

She washed her hand with sanitizer and removed a box of smooshed fries. I did not have time to get catchup. Would you like some fries and coke? I thought the coke would give us energy. I hope it does not rain. Dredging in mud is not fun. Tell me, Max, where are you from?"

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:17 pm 

He nods "I'm from New Vegas, Nevada. And uh, I suppose I can take a coke."