All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:38 am 

Blog: View Blog (0)

"Have you settled in for the year, Draco?" McGonagall asked her potions teacher, offering him a steaming cup of tea.
Headmistress McGonagall was well aware of how her year at Hogwarts had started. For the first time in months, she was back in her office, windows open to air out the last lingering feeling of dry summer heat. After what felt like decades of disapproving Albus' fleeting management style, McGonagall found herself falling into the same, unflattering habits.
Her question was meant as almost an apologetic gesture, knowing that her staff had been on the premises for close to two weeks by now; she, herself, had barely set foot in her office, let alone found the time to properly greet them.
With the beginning of the school year quickly approaching, McGonagall had realized she had spent the entirety of her summer searching for a professor to teach this year's Defence course. The task had had kept her busy up until yesterday evening, when she, too, finally moved into her Hogwarts quarters for the year. She found it to be increasingly harder to find competent staff to agree to take on the position, as it had become apparent to any applicants that the position was not only temporary but potentially dangerous. McGonagall thought she had finally seen and end to her decade-long task of filling the position on a yearly basis, until last year’s professor Winkler had been hospitalized by a student during the very last week of practical exams. It had been exasperating.
McGonagall leaned back into her chair, a dainty porcelain cup between her hands, eyeing the man in front of her. She was drinking catnip tea, with both lemon and honey, and for the first time in months she felt like she could relax. "It's good to see you."

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:49 am 

This body is a vessel for my mayhem and as long as I can perform bafoonery it doesn’t matter if this stomach is flat or not

The way his and McGonagall’s relationship had progressed over the years continue to baffle Draco whenever he took a moment to consider it, which he generally refrained from doing. It felt like enough of a blessing that he was even allowed to teach and he had spent the last seven years proving his worth as a potions professor; convincing students, parents and teachers alike that he really had turned over a new leaf and had been putting in the work to become another person.
That was how he could find himself sitting in McGonagall’s office, preparing for his eighth year as Hogwarts potions professor and, hopefully, the first as head of Slytherin house.
Originally, he had been shying away from the title, not wanting to become too associated with what people expected from him. Now though, he felt like he had put in the work of showing that he was something in his own right and not the villain that had all wanted him to be.
“I have settled in comfortably, thank you,” he said, always bordering on the edge between formal and familiar when it came to talking with the headmistress. More than anything, he deeply respected Minerva McGonagall and he was her forever grateful that she had decided to take a chance on him when very few people would have been willing to.
“And it’s good to see you too, headmistress.”

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:31 am 

To that, McGonagall responded with a smile. It really was good to see Draco Malfoy. The young man had excelled in every task she had given him, and she only found that he flourished having finally out grown a full generation of students. The first few years Draco had taught, the 6th and 7th year students that had attended their first years at Hogwarts during the peak of the Second War. That had inevitably caused tension between her and some select few parents, but, sitting here, McGonagall once again felt validated in her choice of keeping Draco on.
She knew Malfoy knew this. She had grown too fond of him for it to not transparently show in the way she addressed him; therefore, she also felt certain Malfoy knew where this conversation was heading - at least in part.
She took a sip of her tea.
There was no reason to delay it, especially when they both clearly felt certain Malfoy was the only true candidate for the promotion. "As I am sure you know, we are reconfiguring our staff going into this year."
With this, she leaned forward only long and far enough to put both cup and saucer onto the table; when she leaned back, she had folded her hands over her lap. "Professor Wilkner will not return this year, and I am sure you are aware of the fact that professor Livingstone is stepping down as Head of Slytherin. She will stay on teaching this year, but hopes to retire by the next summer, and I have no intention of preventing her of doing so."
McGonagall paused; not necessarily to let Malfoy speak, but more to give herself a change to read his expression. So far, she hadn't said anything Malfoy didn't already know, or could have figured out by simply talking to his coworkers. "I would like for you to replace her as Head of Slytherin."
Not having really considered Malfoy to interject, McGonagall elaborated on her decision. "Over the course of the next year that amounts to a new Transfiguration professors, and - Merlin forbid - two new Defence professors. I need to utilize our senior staff to best accommodate these inevitable changes, and I believe you are the best candidate for this position."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:08 am 

This body is a vessel for my mayhem and as long as I can perform bafoonery it doesn’t matter if this stomach is flat or not

Draco listened intently as McGonagall spoke, not because she was telling him anything he didn’t already know, nor was she telling him anything that he hadn’t suspected, but it still felt like a blessing to actually have it confirmed. Both he and McGonagall knew that he had put in the work to earn this promotion and to no longer seem like he was trying to step into his father’s footsteps.
Still, it filled him with a great sense of pride to be referred to as a senior member of staff and someone who McGongall trusted to maintain order and a certain standard for the school. It might have been obvious to most people that Draco was in McGonagall’s trusted circle, but Draco definitely felt that he had to keep working hard to stay there, so that was what he did.
“Thank you, headmistress,” he said, unable to stop the happy smile that so wanted to appear on his lips. It had definitely what he had been working towards for quite some time now, and he definitely felt that he would be able to make a difference as head of Slytherin house. Things were going to change for the house, but most definitely for the better. He had been there himself and he was more than ready to pull the house out of the dark ages.
“I appreciate the trust you are putting in me and I shall do my best to make you proud,” he stated, wanting McGonagall to know that he wasn’t about to stop working hard just because he got what he wanted. It was going to be about constantly proving himself to everyone around him, and even himself, so he definitely knew that his hard work was far from over.
“If you don’t mind me asking, who will be taking over for Professor Wilkner? I have not seen any new professors arrive with the rest of us and I will admit that I am rather curious.”

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:45 am 

Though Malfoy's question was harder to answer than just that, McGonagall's expression barely faltered. This year it had been especially hard to fill the position, and if anything showed, it was the tireless nights she had spend searching for an answer to that question - not only because nobody had applied, but because of the sheer work she had put into convincing her candidate of choice to even consider the position.
"Harry Potter will," she eventually answered, no infliction in her voice, though she was well aware of the unavoidable questions revolving that answer.
Potter had practically left the face of the Earth, completely distancing himself from the Wizarding world over the course of the last decade. While McGonagall had seen him regularly for tea, not even she had known where he had settled down; even finding him had been just as much of a hassle as it had been convincing him to give up his self inflicted exile to help her fill the vacant position.
McGonagall had wanted to tell the entirety of her staff - she had only yesterday received Potter's owl reluctantly accepting the job - and Malfoy was so far the first to know. It was more of a courtesy than a warning; despite the undeniable tension that had been between Malfoy and Potter during their years at school, McGonagall knew Malfoy would handle this with nothing short of sublime professionalism.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:59 am 

Despite himself, Draco found himself snorting at the answer, convinced that McGonagall had to be joking. No one had seen Harry Potter since the end of the war, which was nearing its ten year anniversary, and such it seemed as ridiculous of an answer to him as if she had answered Albus Dumbledore.
Draco was certain that Harry Potter eventually would resurface to the civilised society, but he sincerely doubted that it would be for a teaching position at Hogwarts, especially to be teaching Defence Against The Dark Arts. It just seemed too ridiculous for Draco to even wrap his head around the possibility of it being the truth.
“That’s quite alright, keep it a surprise,” he stated as he shook his head, having thought that McGonagall would trust him with information like that, but it really was up to her if she wanted to keep it a secret. “I shall see them when they get here.”

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:08 am 

It dawned upon McGonagall that the situation might be even more ridiculous to her staff than she could ever have expected; she noted she would have to readjust her approach for the next conversation she was going to have. Unable to help herself, her eyebrows arched, humoured by Malfoy's colorful reaction.
"You shall see professor Potter a few days before the students arrive," she countered, her suppressed smile bleeding into her voice. She didn't know whether or not to fault Malfoy for this reaction - surely she couldn't blame him. "He owled me yesterday to accept; he needs a few weeks to arrange the keeping of his home while he is absent. He will join us as soon as possible."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:15 pm 

When McGonagall kept explaining the situation it dawned on Draco that she might actually be telling him the truth and not just messing with him.
Harry Potter was returning to Hogwarts just in time for the ten year anniversary of the war and he was going to be teaching Defence Against the Dark Arts. Even if Potter had testified for him after the war, Draco could still see the life he had worked so hard on building the past ten years crumble in front of him; unable to deny the terrible crimes he had committed when Harry Potter was around and teaching with him.
“Alright,” he stated, his tone more somber this tome around. There was no blaming McGonagall for wanting Harry Potter around to teach at Hogwarts, but Draco definitely feared for the worst. “Thank you for letting me know.”

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:33 pm 

McGonagall couldn't blame Malfoy for being hesitant; Harry Potter teaching at Hogwarts - Defense Against the Dark Arts, none the less - was bound to stir up the tentative routine the teachers had fallen into over the last several years. While McGonagall whole-heartedly trusted Potter, she wasn't certain how reliable an educator he would turn out to be. She was, however, at her wits end trying to find an alternative.
"Of course, professor," she answered, finally offering Malfoy the first, undeniable smile of the exchange. "I wanted the Heads of Houses to be the first to know."
Though both her smile and words were genuine, the comment was undeniably an attempt to soften the blow of the news. Malfoy had tensed up over the course of the exchange, and McGonagall wanted to remind him of both his accomplishments and promotion. She was, however, not one to linger on tender exchanges.
With a more formal approach, she straightened her posture, wrists resting against the edge of the tabletop. "With the way things tend to go our Defense professors, I don't expect Potter to be with us more than the year. I don't think he would have accepted the position had it been more than a school year. He is doing this as a personal favour to me."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:47 pm 

The mention of his promotion brought a soft smile to his face, reminding himself that he had worked hard for this promotion and really was starting a whole new life for himself. He knew that he was a good teacher and he had done a lot of work to put the past behind him and he really hoped that Harry Potter coming back wouldn’t change that.
“Alright,” he stated again, feeling better about the fact that it would only be for a school year. It was just a personal favour for McGongagall and then Harry Potter would be out of his life once more. It was a comforting thought and he was very happy that McGonagall had taken the time to explain that to him as well.
“I shall be on my best behaviour then,” he added with a soft smile, his expression softening up at the words and his shoulders falling back in place. “Thank you again, headmistress.”

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:39 am 

Harry couldn't say that he was thrilled to be here. Though Hogwarts was his earliest memory of a home, Harry had laid sleepless the first night he spent in his professor's quaters. He had been struck with a undeniable feeling of dread in the unfamiliar bedroom, unsettled by the realisation that the castle held far more secrets and undiscovered rooms than he could ever have imagined. Not only did memories of the war seem to lurk around each corner, Harry, plainly put, no longer felt like he had a place at Hogwarts. That was partially why he had yet to seat himself for breakfast.
In front of him, Neville had. Though the two Gryffindors had kept in touch over the years, it was the first time Harry had actually gotten to experience Neville as Professor Longbottom; the sight was hard to even comprehend, and the sheer notion that Harry was supposed to join him by the high table was borderline absurd.
"You're not mad at me, are you?" Neville asked with a smile, though Harry could tell there was a worry about him, Harry hadn't seen since they were teens. Harry had exchanged the bare minimum of pleasantries with the other few professors at the table, and the conversation had quickly fizzled out, as none of the senior staff had pressed Harry about his whereabouts - something Harry felt deeply grateful about.
Unable to smile at the question, Harry answered with a joking jab, eyes refocusing on Neville. "I'm still deciding."
Harry, too, spoke with a grin on his lips, but there was some honesty to his words; Harry was trying decide whether or not this had been a terrible decision, or just simply a bad one.
Restlessly he shifted his stance, hands burying themselves in the pocket of his pants. He was still dressed in old canvas trousers and a cotton shirt, not able to bother himself with robes before the students' arrival this evening, let alone for breakfast. "Ask me again in a week."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:16 pm 

Ever since receiving the news that Harry Potter would be returning to Hogwarts, Draco had thrown himself headfirst into work. There hadn’t been a lot of preparations left to do, but Draco had been involved with them all, needing that welcome distraction to stop himself from thinking about it too much.
In the end of the day, he had no idea what Potter actually thought of him. It probably wasn’t important, yet it filled Draco with a deep sense of dread. Sure, Potter had testified for him and his mum after the war and were a huge part of how Draco had even become allowed to teach in the first place and yet the idea of seeing him again still filled Draco with a deep sense of dread.
Having gotten delayed during his morning workout, Draco was a little late in joining his co-professors in the Great Hall for breakfast, something that wasn’t really too unusual.
Unsure what was going to meet him once he entered the Great Hall, Draco took a moment to steel himself before swinging the doors open. Despite the vast emptiness of the Hall, the students not due to arrive until evening, Draco’s eyes immediately fell on the unfamiliar shape in front of the high table, a shape that he figured had to be Harry Potter.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:27 am 

There were several little signs that prompted Harry to glance over his shoulder. Most obviously it had been the way Neville's eyes had flickered; more noticeably, it was the way even the slight movement of just one of the massive doors made the pressure shift in the emptiness of the hall. The sight that met him had Harry do a double take.
It wasn't that he hadn't immediately recognized Draco Malfoy - Harry figured he would have recognized Malfoy anywhere at any time. Simply put, Malfoy was one of the few educators Harry looked forward to greeting, having to visibly readjust his approach to Malfoy's arrival. Almost unexpectedly, a smile crept to Harry's lips as he took another step backwards, turning his side in an inattentively welcoming gesture.
As Malfoy approached, it was hard to deny that time had done him good. Harry had noticed that pattern among his entire generation - how they had been starved, ruined teenagers without any of them realizing. Malfoy looked healthy, something which only made Harry's smile grow wider, genuinely happy to see Malfoy doing well.
"Hi Draco," Harry greeted cheerily once the other was at a reasonable distance.
There was an easy familiarity to his voice and choice of words that didn't acknowledge the fact that the two men hadn't seen each other in a decade. The last time Harry himself had seen Malfoy had been in a dim-lit Ministry courtroom, but Draco had been mentioned in Hermione's letter as recently as last month, making the name fall easily off his tongue.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:04 pm 

As Draco approached the high table his suspicions about the unfamiliar figure were confirmed as Harry Potter turned around to look at him. It pained Draco to admit it, but time and distance away from the wizarding world had really done Potter well; sure, he looked somewhat unkempt but it was accompanied by such a healthy glow that Draco had almost missed that his hair was long.
Finding himself surprised by the familiarity of the greeting, the two of them had not seen each other since Potter testified for him in court, he was left at a social standstill. It felt rude to go with Potter, which was how he had been so used to referring to him, but he also felt that it would be far too intimate to actually call him Harry.
“Professor Potter,” was the words that left his mouth before he had time to ponder over it further. They were going to have to be civil towards each other if they were going to be teaching together and Draco was going to uphold his end of the bargain and be a model citizen.
“G’morning Neville,” he added, an easy familiarity creeping into his voice as he greeted the other Gryffindor. He and Neville had taught alongside one another for several years now and had even managed to become friends. It had always felt too easy to be Neville’s friend, but Draco had not been one to start counting his blessings, especially not when it came to making friends post war.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:37 pm 

Though Harry seemed struck by the professional distance of Malfoy's reply, Harry's eyes didn't leave Malfoy as he circled the table. It wasn't that Harry took offence to Malfoy's borderline indifference - quite the opposite. It was in any shape and form a more recognizable dynamic than the other professors' awkward uh, haven't seen you in a while. More than anything, Harry seemed surprised but humoured by the fact that Malfoy still seemed adverse to calling Harry by his given name, but it was the added Professor that almost made him laugh out loud.
Then again, Harry realized, he had gotten sparse but regular updates on Malfoy's life; he doubted Malfoy knew anything about Harry anymore.
"Morning, Draco," Neville replied; when Harry's eyes darted towards him, he looked almost shy about using Malfoy's name when the other had so intently refused to use Harry's. Harry briefly looked like he couldn't recognize the man in front of him.
"Nev was just telling me you've recently become Head of House Slytherin," Harry noted, eyes once again finding Malfoy, having no intention of letting Malfoy dismiss him so quickly. The easiness of his voice was enhanced by the causality of his stance and dress. His words, however, were genuine. "Congratulations on that, that's well impressive."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:57 pm 

The way Potter seemed so intent on actually talking with him was absolutely baffling to Draco. He had figured that Potter wouldn’t have any interest in interacting with him in a casual manner either, but maybe he had been wrong; or maybe Potter was just trying to be polite, seeing as Neville had obviously been talking about him.
“Thank you,” he said, his tone moving back to the cold professionalism he had been using towards Potter earlier. It stood in such stark contrast to how he had been talking to Neville that it was impossible not to notice.
Draco poured himself a cup of coffee.
“Not that impressive to it. Neville beat me to the position of youngest head of house by... what, three years I believe?” He stated, wanting the attention away from himself and that meant throwing Neville under the bus right now.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:11 pm 

Even after years of minimal social interactions, Harry was perfectly able to pick up on Malfoy's little, but intentional cues: he didn't seem interested in talking to him, and Harry only wanted to push it so far. While Harry himself had spent both time and energy on letting go of grudges, Harry could not force Malfoy to. For all he knew, Malfoy could still blame Harry for how things had transcribed the last year of the war. With an unexpected pang to his heart, Harry found that he couldn't blame him.
Harry glanced towards Neville at the mention. For a moment, the two Gryffindors looked at each other at a loss. Neville, who evidently had become friendly with Malfoy, didn't seem to know how to approach the conversation either.
"Well, yeah," Harry eventually exhaled, eyes darting back to Malfoy. Malfoy wasn't wrong, but Harry found that it was besides the point. Regardless, the corner of Harry's mouth yet again upturned in a grin. "And three years ago, I congratulated him for it. So congratulations to you, too, professor."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:18 pm 

“Thank you,” Draco said once more, unsure what else he would have to say to Potter. He was unsure why Potter was so keen on being nice to him, fully aware that he still had a lot to prove to feel full deserving of this title. Draco took a sip from his coffee, hoping that that would put somewhat of a stop to their conversation, before realising that Potter probably was going to want to stick around with Neville and that was quite unfortunate.
There were no niceties that Draco could imagine would be appropriate for him to exchange with Potter; finding it more rude than anything to congratulate him back on joining civilised society, so he simply turned his attention fully to his coffee as he mulled over whether or not he would be having breakfast.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:30 pm 

For the first time over the course of the conversation, Harry's smile finally faltered. Yet again, a nagging feeling of doubt filled his chest and for a brief moment, Harry seemed to lack any sense of direction. He wasn't fully able to articulate what he had expected of an interaction with Malfoy, but he found that this had left him feeling both disappointed and unresolved.
With a little, accepting nod, Harry's eyes yet again shifted to Neville. A smile had returned to his lips, but this time it was only barely superficial. Harry found that almost too readily accepted the fact that Malfoy didn't want him there; it had made Harry's heart drop, suddenly regretting even inviting McGonagall into his home those three weeks prior.
To some extent, Neville must have seen it. Both Harry and Neville parted their lips, a mirrored attempt to fill the uncomfortable silence, but neither of them ever got to say a full sentence.
"Professors," McGonagall greeted somewhere behind Harry, unintentionally cutting the two Gryffindors off. "How good to see you back at Hogwarts, Potter."
Almost startled, Harry turned to face her. The awkwardness of their interaction was only enhanced by Harry's borderline disoriented attempt to gather himself. His smile went crooked as he laughed an exhale, trying to dissolve the pressure he felt on his chest. "Thank you for having me, Minerva."
As the headmistress approached, she offered both Neville and Malfoy a smile, seeming far more relaxed than the last time Harry had seen her. "Longbottom, Malfoy - good morning."
When she continued, she once again directed her attention towards Harry. "Professor Wilkner left a vacant seat to the left, if you'd care to join us for breakfast."
"Oh, thank you, but I just finished up," Harry said, not even thinking twice about that lie. Though Harry had lingered standing up, he had only just gotten to the Great Hall. Neville, who had been there and had had his breakfast, knew that, but also apparently knew better than to comment on it.
Harry, however, found that once he had started, the lie came easily. His smile had returned somewhat, feeling almost relieved, now that he no longer needed to face the fact that Malfoy didn't seem to want him there, not even for polite pleasantries. "I arrived late last night, and I was just heading back to finish getting settled."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:02 pm 

“Headmistress,” Draco greeted in a polite but familiar voice. It was clear that he had known McGonagall for many years and thus didn’t care too much about how she perceived him. It had been very awkward at the beginning, leaning how to become comfortable in what was a professional environment but also a place that he had once considered a home.
It was with some sense of relief that Draco noticed that Potter indeed seemed a little uncomfortable around the headmistress. It was a huge fear of his that Potter would just fit in like a glove, especially now that he had spent to long to find his own place at the school; and such it was a great relief to see that his old classmate was struggling as well.