All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Episode 2 - Post 6
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:09 am 

Blog: View Blog (0)

David

David suddenly felt very worried after Tessa brought his attention to the fact that it wasn't a good idea to give this man their hair. Not that he was keen on doing that in the first place, but he was still feeling quite overwhelmed. Instead of asking Tessa why they shouldn't give him their hair, aside from it being weird, he decided to ask some more questions.

"I'm sorry," David said, trying to give a reassuring smile. We may have gotten off on the wrong foot," the man glanced at his feet, not understanding the idiom, "we apologize for not scheduling our," David was completely winging it, "crossing appointment." The man's eyes narrowed and David thought he was probably making a complete fool of himself.

"Well," the man said, eyeing the two of them, "these here times are hard on account of the war about to break out."

David gave Tessa a look, expressing his concern about what they could have possibly walked into.

"Where's you two from anyhow? Fonhampton? Littleberry?"

Not good. David wouldn't be able to keep up this charade if he was going to start name dropping towns.

"How about we pay you in money?" David asked. He bent down and began to look through the bag that had come with them.

"Money?" The man gave them a disparaging look that David didn't like. Sure they looked a little dirty from the roll down the hill, but that was no reason to judge them so harshly. Of course, David was quite used to those kinds of people. "My fee 'aint cheap. Hair is easy payment for most of your folk. I only keep it for a year and all you two's gonna feel is small head when I channel. [interpretation working: small head likely means lightheaded].

The voice startled David again. He whispered to Tessa, "are you hearing that too, or is it just me?" He hoped he wasn't going crazy on top of everything. He finally heard some jangling sounds s his hand closed around a money bag. He was about to bring it out, but then thought better. "So how much if we pay you in coin?"

"Ya sure you want to?" The man asked, eyeing Tessa's hair with a regretful expression.

"Very sure." David responded.

"3 gold smeltings," the man said, smiling.

David return the smile and winked at Tessa as the man's gaze drifted away to look up the river. He brought out a small money pouch out of the bag.

"No problem," David said, hoping whatever smeltings were, they had enough in the bag. The man watched with wide eyes as David brought out three golden coins. An image of a waterfall was embossed on them, or perhaps it was lava. David had no idea how much smeltings were in Earth money, but he guessed it was a lot from the man's reaction. They were probably overpaying by a lot, but as outsiders, they couldn't exactly haggle the price without knowing what would be reasonable.

"Very well," the man took the coins and proceeded to swallow them. David stood them with his hand open, and his mouth open. He quickly shut his mouth and tried to wear a neutral look.

"You think it's customary to eat money here?" David whispered to Tessa, "please tell me we won't have to eat money to receive payment if we ever have to sell something."

The man smiled and bowed, "A paying customer is always a preferred customer." There was a rumbling and the earth shook as the bridge retracted and the crude structure crumbled back into the ground.

"Um," David's heart skipped a beat. They had just payed their dues and now the bridge was being taken away from them. He could be preparing to capture them or kill them. He felt an odd sensation and his hand flexed. Suddenly, out of the lava, the bo staff that had been lost earlier flew out, past Tessa, and into David's hand. David gave an undignified yelp and dropped it again, thinking it would be hot, but no. The staff was cool to the touch and completely undamaged. David flexed his hand again and the staff rose to settle in his hand again. The man whistled in admiration of the staff as David inspected at it.

The man then walked away from them, towards the lava again. David wondered how he was going to store the staff when it started to shrink again, back into a small pencil-like rock. Turning to Tessa he exclaimed, "are you seeing this? How is it doing this? He placed it in his pocket and was about to call out the man for trying to trick them when his eyes widened. The man was walking right onto the lava. His feet seemed to be able to walk on the surface. He turned to look at them, then spread his arms palms down. The lava began to harden into black rock. The black rock seemed to spread out and covered a small portion of the river in front of them. The rock was completely smooth. Hand rails rose from the sides. The bridge was about 30 feet long, spanning the width of the river.

"The best for my best customers," the man said, his voice and demeanor sounding quite different now. "The bridge will last until you cross it, or until your thirty minute limit is reached. Whichever comes sooner. Do not attempt to cross more than five people." The man extended his hand, clenched his fist, released it and was now holding a black coin that looked like the rock formed by the lava. "If you wish to cross any stream in future, please do not hesitate to call me. Make sure to make an appointment this time. Simply call for Bahrook and throw the coin into lava with your desired day and time. If my schedule allows it the coin will be accepted. If not, the coin will be returned to you." Bahrook, David was finally glad he could stop calling him the man, looked up river again. "Looks like our time is up. I have an appointment to keep." He smiled at them and tossed the coin to Tessa. "No need to come to my home next time." Then a hole opened up in the bridge and Bahrook slipped down through it, almost becoming part of the lava. The hole remade itself again and it was once again smooth. A large shadow moved from under the bridge in the direction of upriver at a very fast paced.

"Was that guy some kind of lava fairy?" David asked.

The surroundings were quiet again, aside from the bubbling of the lava.

"Well," David said, looking at Tessa, "should we cross?"

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:44 am 

Tessa

Tessa lets out a sigh of relief once Bahrook is gone. "This place is weird, and you need to work on your poker face." Tessa smiled slightly. "We should cross, quickly." She looked over her shoulder at the cottage and started across the bridge. "We don't know the rules of this world, but some basic things about magic are probably good for you to know. For example sympathetic magic, which is what I suspect that guy has access to, along with some other stuff. Sympathetic magic uses part of something to affect the whole thing. For example if he had our hair and lit it on fire we would burn too. It is possible he didn't plan on doing anything with it, but yeah not a good idea to give your hair or nails or blood to a creature with magic." Tessa paused, they were about half way across the bridge. "Also make sure you never give your full name. I'm lucky I don't have a true name, well if I do I don't know it." She gave a small shrug, but her voice hitched a little.

Finally the were across the bridge, and as their feet touched the other side the bridge melted back into the lava river. "Got water in that bag?" Tessa asked, looking at the dry rocky expanse of land in front of them separating them from the city in the distance. "I think the first thing we should do once we get into the town is find a market, hopefully an open air one we can blend into the crowd of. We should listen and watch. Get an idea of how best to fit in with the society. See if other people eat gold." She added smiling. "I suppose moving a lot and reading a ton of urban fantasy did me good."

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:28 am 

David

David rummaged through the bag and handed Tessa a bottle of water. He watched as the label changed from "Crystal Geyser" to "Mr. Coldman's Water Beverage." Underneath the label read, "For the Lavathins, there's lava. For everyone else, there's Mr. Coldman's Water."

"I guess everything makes itself blend in," David commented. He watched the city in the distance. The sun was begining to set and he could see lights coming on as the city when into nighttime mode. The buildings were tall, with one of the buildings so tall that it disappeared into the sky. He wondered what might be in such a building and why it needed to be so high.

David nodded in agreement to Tessa's comments. They needed to be keen observers. Even if the objects they brought with them could blend in and take on appropriate labels, they themselves would have to put in the work of figuring out the customs. He really hoped, not for the first time, that eating gold was not a thing.

"The city looks far, David said, "how long do you think it'll take us to get there?" He couldn't really tell if the distance was two hours or two days.

David noticed that the rocky expanse only reached so far before stopping. After ten minutes of walking, they reached what looked like a road. Only there weren't any sidewalks and the ground was impossibly smooth. The road was black. He bent down and touched it with his hand. It was cool to the touch. It felt like marble flooring.

"That's strange," David stood. The road seemed to stretch all the way to the city, disappearing into the herizon.

He noticed a sign floating above. It read:

"Mural City Causeway. Top speed: 20 Silver, Medium Speed: 13 Silver, Abhorant Speed: 2 Silver. Today is Troll-Day: Trolls ride at half price. Imposters Utilizing Troll shoe wear will be shot. Questions or Comments? Contact Your Local Politics Dealer."

David pointed to the sign for Tessa to read.

"So how do you suppose we use this? We don't have like, a sled or car or anything. David brought out the bag of money. He could only see gold coins. He grabbed one and walked onto the smooth surface, nearly slipping.

"We don't have any silver but we have gold. Do you think this will work?"

He tossed the coin into the air and meant to catch it, but it slipped through his fingers and fell to the smooth surface. Then, it was swallowed up.

"Did you see that?" David pointed. After a moment, a money bag and two tickets rose up on black marble pillars. David took them and the pillars melted back down into the floor. David stood there, stunned, bag of money in one hand and two tickets in the other. He handed one ticket to Tessa and put the other in his pocket. The bag contained a lot of silver.

"How much silver is one gold?" David asked in wonder to no one in particular.

He put everything away in the backpack.

"Ok, now just gotta figure out how to use this." He took a step. As his foot came down to touch the surface, he suddenly felt electricity flow through his feet. It wasn't painful, but it felt weird. Then, he was propelled forward and blazing speed. He screamed as he seemed to be hurling forward at super speed, the wind howling past him. He looked down, he wasn't moing his feet anymore, but he was still being propelled forward. He brought his foot back and suddenly stopped. His hair was a mess from the wind and his cheeks were cold. He panted in shock and elation. He looked back and yelled out for Tessa when he couldn't see her.

Post subject: Ep. 2 - post 9
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:20 pm 

Tessa

Tessa drank the water thankful for the apparently magical nature of it. She wondered how much of the stuff back at the "house" was magical, and then for a moment desperately wished they were there. She was halfway through the water when she offered it to David. To his question about distance she only shrugged. The sun was still relatively high in the sky.

How long had they even been here? "Hopefully we get there before nightfall. I have no desire to try to camp out here." Would they rent a room? Should they consider an inn or an apartment? Ugh, too many decisions and not enough information.

"That's strange," David stopped and pointed at a sign that Tessa had almost missed while thinking.

"Mural City Causeway. Top speed: 20 Silver, Medium Speed: 13 Silver, Abhorrent Speed: 2 Silver. Today is Troll-Day: Trolls ride at half price. Imposters Utilizing Troll shoe wear will be shot. Questions or Comments? Contact Your Local Politics Dealer."

"So how do you suppose we use this? We don't have like, a sled or car or anything." David brought out the bag of money and took a coin out. He stepped onto the track and almost slipped Tessa had a hand out, but he steadied himself before she needed to help him. "We don't have any silver, but we have gold. Do you think this will work?" Tessa was about to respond, but she hadn't quite formulated an idea when David tossed the coin. It fell to the track and then was gone.

"Did you see that?" David pointed at where the coin had been, Tessa was staring at it.

"Yeah I did, what do you think-" She started to respond when two black marble pillars rose from the track. David took one of the tickets that were on a pillar and handed it to her. She was examining it as David spoke, but mostly to himself. Tessa was partway through the math, of how much a gold coin was to a silver and then David was gone. There had been a snap and what was left behind was the smell of electricity.

"David." Tessa cried out. Being left alone on a strange planet was not her idea of fun. "Where the ... How even?" She stared at the smooth track and then sensed something she hadn't noticed before. It wasn't magic, not completely. It was odd because she could feel the electricity that thrummed through the system. Sensed it like a someone with their eyes closed could smell bread baking. Then it stopped, it was still there, but not as strong. Tessa smiled and stepped onto the track. She could feel it thinking, testing at her. She leaned forward slightly onto her right foot, and the system came to life again. It felt like she was flying.

David was coming up. She leaned back slightly and felt herself slow down as she neared him, then with a small step back she was standing almost perfectly next to him a huge grin on her face. "Okay, this is wild. The combination of technology and magic is phenomenal." Tessa turned around and started heading back the way they came, leaned back and stopped. Then was back at David's side with a simple two step.

Now that they knew how the system worked Tessa leaned into the track and let it take her at incredible speeds to the city. She watched as the city grew even more massive in front of them, and it was clear why they had been given some climbing gear. The city was carved into the face of a giant plateau. She slowed down and stepped to the side of the track when they were within shouting range of what appeared to be guard gates.

"I don't think we should sneak past, but what is our story? Farmers from Littleberry who were chased out by the war?" Tessa came up with after remembering what the lava crossing guard creature had said.

Beyond the gate the city, now in clear view was beautiful. There was no other way to describe it. Someone had spent painstaking hours working on the facade, and Tessa could tell the city went deep into the mountain facade. She could feel it like she had with the electric/magic track. The same thing was happening here. There was no way for her to explain what she was seeing, or rather feeling to David, and she didn't feel like having him think she was crazy. The day was already weird enough.

Along the ground, just this side of the city gates, before stairways and ladders, and tunnels led and disappeared into the city there was exactly what Tessa had hoped to find. An open air market. Perfect. They could get a gauge on language and food, and most importantly money exchange practices. She wasn't good enough at math to figure out what gold to silver was, but it had to be big if a gold piece was worth more than 40 silver.

"First the market." She said to David, and without waiting made her way to it. The first thing that was clear was the smell. It was pungent. Obviously here no one had heard of deodorant. Tessa paused for a few minutes watching a small group at a food stand order something, a skewer by the looks of it. She had no idea what type of meat it was though. The exchanged coin was dropped into a till, and Tessa sighed relieved. No change was given back, but the coin that had been handed over had been what could have been a piece of copper.

Last edited by Kirah on Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:14 am 

David

The smell was almost chokingly bad. He could tell that Tessa had noticed it too.

David agreed with Tessa, “We definitely don’t want to be branded as criminals, for all we know there’s no justice system here. We could get shot on sight.” At Tessa’s suggestion, David added, “that seems like the most plausaible, but what if they start asking for details. We don’t even have one clue what is going on with the war.- ugh - I think the smell is gonna be the worst thing about interstellar - slash - inter-dimensional travel.”

He looked up at the rising city and the unsafe looking stairs. This place had a weird mix of technology and magic. Most of their “tech” was simply magic that did what technology did on Earth.

“That road was very advanced,” David nodded back at the track, “and yet this looks like something from ancient times.”

“Oy,” a loud voice that reminded David of a London cockney accent came from a man at a stall they had passed. “This place is really working hard to improve our image. We’re respectable folk here, don’t know what you’ve been told.”

“I’m sorry, I didn’t,” David started, when a woman strolled up with large 80’s looking hair that was very red, “Don’t yell at them kids Harko, they could be costumers.” She smiled at them, showing sharp teeth. She dipped into a pocket, brought out some sort of lizard looking creature. It made a sound that was both horrible, and funny, as she put it in her mouth and ate it. David swallowed and clutched Tessa’s wrist, trying not to throw up.

He quickly whispered to Tessa, “OMG, I’m going to throw up and they’re going to get insulted and kill us!”

“These kids is talking about how we’re ancient,” the man said. The woman stared at him for a moment, and then glowered at the pair.

“That aint nice at all!” She yelled. “Oy, Crona,” she yelled. Another, older woman came over, along with some big looking men and more vendors.

“This… is not good,” David said, walking back a little.

A jingle sounded inside David and Tessa’s heads, “correction, upon farther research I have discovered that ‘ancient’ has a more subtle translation. I have corrected the error.

These guys just insulted us,” They were saying. One of the big guys came closer, looking very scary. “They called us brogerfoots.” David didn’t know what those were, but he guessed it was not a good idea to call people that. One of the large men opened his mouth and a loud deep growl came out. Suddenly, the big men, which now looked more like some kind of werewolves, leaped with their claws stretched out at them.

David screamed, not his finest moment, and raised his arms to block his face. Then there was a soft sound, like a deep base coming from all around them, subtle, but clear. His ears popped. Then nothing happened. He kept his eyes closed, but everything was silent. Absolutely silent. The hustle and bustle and sounds of conversation that were so loud moments earlier were no longer there. It was like everything had suddenly ceased to exist. He finally got the courage to open his eyes.

He emitted another scream as he saw the claws inches from his face, stepping back and nearly tripping. The scream sounded odd. Muffled.

“Tessa,” he yelled, but Tessa wasn’t moving and the claws were also inches from her face. “Tessa,” David said, a little more calmly. She was motionless. David looked around. The guard was coming over, running, but he was motionless, one leg extended in a running pose. Everything around them was motionless. He licked his lips and felt lightheaded.

“What is going on?” he said to himself.

He went to Tessa, walking behind her and to the other side. “Tessa,” he tried to rouse her out of whatever was happening to her. He reached out and placed his hand on her arm. She suddenly moved backward and he could hear her now. Whatever had kept her from moving had dispelled itself.

After Tessa was able to take her own time to take everything in, David said, “what do you think is going on?” He looked up, even the birds in the sky were motionless.

He looked at the scary wolf men and said, “I think we should-“ suddenly incredibly pain started erupting everywhere throughout his body. He screamed and fell to the ground.

“I feel like my bones are breaking,” he said, through difficult short breaths. He caught a glimpse of his hands, they looked different. More wrinkled. Though David couldn’t see it, his face was getting older as well. He yelled when he tried to stand and his leg gave out as he got a little taller.

“What’s happening to me!”

Post subject: Ep. 2 - post 11
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:49 pm 

Tessa

"We don't even know what a brogerfoot is." The crowd was growing around them, and Tessa was trying to explain that David hadn't meant to insult everyone, but everyone was talking over them. Then it was out of hand and werewolves were attacking them. "Please no! We didn't mean anything by it." Then David was touching her. "Huh?" She blinked. Everything was dead silent and frozen. The buzzing that had been constant just under her skin seemed to be calmer even. She had no idea what that meant. "I think..." Tessa started to tell David. "I think time is frozen. Did you do that?" She looked at him startled. Did he have magic? Is that what she had been experiencing? The caretaker hadn't said anything about them having magical powers. Was this just because of where they were, or - Tessa didn't finish the thought. David's face aged in front of her. He was ancient looking, and then he started to scream.

The werewolves were still attacking though. The two of them had moved, and now the creatures had adjusted to where they stood. Tessa had to protect David. He couldn't do anything. Tessa drew the sword, that she had nearly forgotten was there.

"Please. We are just trying to get away from the war. My brother didn't mean anything by what he said. Our dialects are different." She tried, but one of the wolves was at her throat. Tessa had no skill with the sword, and that was clear very quickly. "Why me?" She cried as the claws of the creature dug into her arm. "GET OFF!" Tessa cried out. The buzzing sensation just under her skin exploded out, and the creature was shaking. He fell to the ground after a second unconscious. Though still breathing, which Tessa was thankful for.

The other creatures paused steps away from Tessa. "We are just trying to get to Krackmora castle. Please, just let us go." Tessa looked at David, he looked younger, but she couldn't be certain about that. If he was de-aging, it was at a much slower rate than he had aged.

"What is going on here?" A deep voice cut in, and the creatures that had been stepping closer froze again and turned to the voice.

"These kids called us brogerfoots." The first person snapped. "We ain't brogerfoots." They added as if worried the newcomer might think they were brogerfoots.

"It wasn't intended. I told you we have different dialects. We aren't locals." That was one way to put it.

The newcomer stepped into view. They were tall and slender, but extremely muscular. It was clear the newcomer was a male guard.

"Heard you say you are trying to Krackmora castle." The guard asked.

"Uh, yeah. A friend of a friend lives there." That wasn't necessarily a lie. "I'm trying to see if they can get us a job..." Tessa trailed off. Where would they be trying to get a job? What kind of job would they even be looking for?

The guard was nodding though. "Disband." He shouted, and the crowd that had formed around them backed off. Tessa resisted a deep sigh of relief.

Last edited by Kirah on Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Ep. 2 Post 12
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:16 am 

David

David righted himself and tried to focus. It had been such a strange and frightening experience to age so rapidly and then de-age again. What he had done, whatever that was, it had consequences.

The guard looked David up and down. If he had noticed the strange occurrence, he didn’t reveal his reaction.

“So you two are part of the new latrine crew?”

David just nodded to avoid making a face, “Sure.”

“Very well - hey I said disband!” A group of shopkeepers and customers were still standing around and watching, but they quickly disbanded and carried on their business. He looked over at the creature that was splayed on the ground from whatever Tessa had done to it. The guard smirked, "you really put him on his rear end. He looked at her sword, "enchanted with electricity is it? That's a valuable weapon you got there."

David was pretty sure that the weapon wasn't enchanted, or at least not with electricity. He and Tessa really needed to talk about what had just happened.

“It’s a nasty business that war, surprised you guys were able to make it with all your limbs attached. And so clean too. Most of the refugees smell quite terribly.”

“Probably because they’re refugees,” David said before he could stop himself.

The guard gave him a very subtle glare before waving towards the castle, “This way. You’ll need to present your papers once you get to Lady Field. S he’ll be assigning you to some part of the castle. You'll have to get rid of that weapon at some point so I'll ask you to let me know and I'll give you a pretty penny for it. ”

They started walking through the market, the smells engulfing them. Some of the food actually smelled delicious. He saw some sort of animal on skewers plunged into a wooden block on the ground. The creatures looked like rabbits, but with two heads and a stinger on the tail. David had to look away when it seemed to him that the eyes of the animals were following him.

As they walked and the guard kept on talking, David wondered why they weren’t seeing any refugees around the market.

“Where are all the refugees?” David asked. The guard stoped and looked at David. They were close to the front gate, the huge mountain side towering over them. The castle seemed to be coming out of the mountain itself.

“Are you going to be causing any trouble?” The Guard asked the two of them.”

“No, Sir, not at all. I was just-“
“Here we are opening our home to you people and you just start throwing around accusations and insinuations.”

Last edited by Apollo on Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Ep. 2 Post 13
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:05 pm 

Tessa

"My brother didn't mean anything by that. We were hoping to find a friend of ours is all. He was asking to learn we might find him, our friend that is." Tessa spoke quickly hoping her lie would fool the guard. It wasn't entirely false. They were looking for someone, though she couldn't consider him a friend. Her heart pounded as she thought back to what had happened in the market. Her sword wasn't enchanted, well it was. All their belongings seemed to be. Even the water bottle.

The guard didn't seem to completely believe her lie, and Tessa didn't know which part of it he wasn't believing. "As I was saying though you'll be given an assignment by Lady Field. Follow me." He seemed more irritated than before and Tessa feared they were walking into something they wouldn't be able to get out. She didn't want to turn over her sword, not that she was any good with it, but it was comforting.

She looked up at the cliff face in front of them. Thousands of windows and doors and walkways crisscrossing the face of it made it impossible to tell how big it was. The cliff plateaued but she couldn't make out anything on the top of it from where they stood. People were walking on the paths that connected doors. The paths seemed sturdy enough that carts and even a horse-drawn cart at one spot were transported without fear.

The Guard led them into the cliff face, not through what looked like the main entrance but one several entrances down. He took a few turns and soon Tessa felt as lost in the castle as she did in her life. Everything was happening so fast. She looked at David, fear written in her features. Where was the guard leading them? He had been so defensive about David asking about the other refugees, and he clearly didn't believe her lies. She was good at lying too.

Tessa didn't even have time to appreciate the castle decor. They seemed to be walking through servants corridors from the simplicity of it, but everything was well made. The House was better decorated and felt way more like home than this place would. It was obvious that the place was well maintained.

The Guard stopped in front of a simple door and led them in. It was a small room with just a couple of rough wood chairs. "Sit. Stay here until Mrs. Field can see you." And he left. Tessa was certain she heard a click and checked, the door was indeed locked.

"Well ****." She said to the door then turned to David. "You've got to be more careful what you say. You're gonna get us killed." She paused and listened at the door for footsteps, thankful that the hall wasn't carpeted. "What did you do back there in the market?" She asked when she was certain no one was listening outside the room.

Post subject: Ep. 2 Post 14
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:05 pm 

David

David nodded to Tessa.

“Yeah, I know. it was a stupid mistake. Though I think it was the translator’s fault more than mine. I think we need to limit what we say to people.”

He looked around the room, “I don’t know what happened to me. I think-“ he furrowed his brow, sitting in one of the wooden chairs that looked quite breakable, “I think time stopped for a moment. You and everything was frozen.” He looked at his hands, “but then I started to get this pain and I felt like my body was contorting or my bones were expanding and contracting.” He looked at Tessa, “it was pretty painful to be honest.”

There was a loud crash outside the door down the hall somewhere, and a woman’s voice rang through screaming at whoever had dropped something.

David frowned, “What are we doing here Tessa? Whatever is happening I’m not sure we’re completely ready for it. I mean just a few days ago I was living a normal life, and now I’m,” he motioned, “in this weird crazy room in a universe somewhere on a random planet. I don’t think I’m ready to die, are you?”

“Also,” David remembered the electricity and smell of subtle burning back at the market, “what did you do to that guy? Was that an enchanted sword or something?”

“Oh quit you’re melodramatic yapping,” a nasally voice rang inside David’s head and he jumped. From Tessa’s expression, he figured she’d heard it to. “Honestly, this is the best we’ve got?”

“What the hell?”

“Listen,” the voice said, sounding strained, “my ability to communicate is limited, there are wards that keep me from leaving or anyone from finding me. The wards are failing for some reason,” David was about to speak, “I said quiet - look, find Juliet Brennen, she speaks to me sometimes, she might be an Oracle. She might be able to help you find me. You can find her in...” The voice trailed off.

David waited for a moment, but he couldn’t hear anything more.

“What was that?” David asked Tessa.

Post subject: Ep 2 Post 15
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:02 pm 

Tessa

"Yeah, we should definitely limit what you say," Tessa said halfway under her breath. She was frustrated with David, and with the whole situation. They had no training and no idea what they were involved in. They literally had been thrown into the deep end of all of this.

She looked at her hands when David asked about the electricity thing in the market. How could she explain that she felt the electricity pulsing around her? That this world that was part magic and part insane technology thrummed with it and she had somehow tapped into it and directed it at the guy. She bit her lip and was about to talk when they were interrupted by yet another disembodied voice. It was weird to think she was getting used to it.

"I think that was the ...guy we're looking for." She didn't feel like it was safe to say he was a law. The whole purpose of being here was to find him and protect him from ...from what? The same things that had tried to kill them before. Her in the subway. An incident that felt both only moments ago and years ago. "So we need to find Juliet Brennen and then him through her?" If she was an Oracle that meant she probably could see the future. Or it could be some completely other skill that she had and the group of 'cosmonauts' or whatever they were called her that for fun. Tessa rubbed at her temples, she could feel the electricity in her fingertips just under the skin, an odd sensation.

She was going to start talking again when the door opened a strikingly beautiful woman stood before them. Behind her two heavily built men. Tessa assumed her bodyguards, but her brain didn't spend much effort looking at them. Her jaw dropped as she looked at the woman. Tessa was certain that if asked in the future she would only be able to vaguely describe the woman, but she did try to soak in as much of her features as she could.

The woman's hair was a light brown, almost blonde color, with soft curls that reached to her mid-back. It was pulled back from her face and pinned with something reminiscent of Chinese hair sticks. Her eyes were a brilliant green, Tessa was almost certain they glowed. She had olive skin that might have touched the sunlight but had never been burned. Tessa took all of this in before anyone spoke.

"I am Mrs. Field." The woman said. "I understand you are refugees in need of placement."

Post subject: Episode 3. Post 1.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:18 pm 

Season 1
Episode 3

In the Void

Far away, tucked into a small out of the way pocket universe undetectable by Yggdrasil, the man in the bowler hat melted out of the shadows. He looked surveyed the surroundings. This world was one of darkness; a void of nothing. Some of the others were already there. The Tractor. The Giraffe, a bloated shadow that insisted on taking the shape of a thin man with a very long neck. Other shapes began to melt out of the darkness. The bowler hat searched for his partner, the one that had gone to the girl. Anger flared through him. The boy had gotten away from him. He hoped his partner had gotten the girl, that would at least work in their favor.

"Failure is such a disappointment," a voice came from the darkness. A beautiful man in his 20s walked out. His eyes glowed black. As black as the void around them. Thoughts didn't always stay in your head in this place. He needed to be careful.

"Mr. Town," the man in the bowler hat gave him a respectful nod.

"Verikus," the black eyes bore into him, "I'm going to assume you're early because you failed." A pause, "miserably."

"I wouldn't say that," Verikus said.

"I certainly would," said Mr. Town.

"I ripped mine to shreds," came a voice from behind Verikus. The Hound drooled onto the dark below. The drool sizzled before seeping into the ground.

Mutt, Verikus thought.

The Hound smiled, revealing very sharp canine teeth, "jealousy looks good on you Verikus."

Verikus kept himself from snarling, "says the creature too stupid to realize the irony of taking on the form of a loyal companion, considering your Fall."

The hound's brow lowered, the others around them quieting. Mr. Town gave Verikus a long look, making him uncomfortable. They never talk about those things. Never about their old lives.

"Mr. Town," another interjected, breaking the quiet, "what's this meeting for?" This broke the spell and Mr. Town looked away, addressing the group.

"There is a problem," he began, "The Tree has found its guests." The group burst out in murmurs. Verikus felt himself redden at his failure. "Two to be exact. Two fresh cosmonauts."

"I took care of mine! Don't look at me!" An angry voice yelled out from the group.

"The two who failed their duty know what they have done. They will face their punishment," Mr. Town didn't look at Verikus, but he could feel his attention on him. Verikus felt himself sink into the void a little - and he felt, fear? He could taste it in his mouth. His own fear.

"Visage is closing in on another Law," Mr. Town continued, "the cosmonauts are likely not far behind." Mr. Town looked at the failures, "She will take care of them both."

David

Mrs. Field was a stunning and formidable figure. She seemed to tower over them. When her eyes landed on his face, he could feel a tingling sensation. He could feel himself draw closer to her, even though he hadn't moved. He could feel a desire to answer any question, to do anything she wanted, grow in his mind. She repeated her question and David felt the tingling again.

"No," David heard himself say. Then immediately, he panicked. He was just about to give them away. They were going to die here and now because he couldn't control himself. Then he felt himself grow stronger, like when he fought the man with the bowler hat. It was like a fog lifting from his brain. He spoke again, a bit too quick.

"No," he said again, "not just refugees. We're orphans." David hoped that would be enough to save his blunder. Mrs. Field narrowed her eyes, but he couldn't tell if she believed him or not.

When she looked away and towards Tessa, David could feel the effect completely fall away.

"Is that true?" She asked Tessa. David wondered if she was feeling what he had felt.

David stole a look at the men beside her. They were large. He felt for sure that they could crush him in one single blow.

David didn't hear Tessa's conversation with the older woman, he instead focused on movement past the guards down the hall. A young woman, perhaps not much older than David and Tessa, came down from the ceiling. She fell onto the ground with absolutely no sound. David wondered if Tessa could see, but he didn't want to look away or draw attention to her. The woman saw him looking and she smiled, placing a finger on her lips in a "shhhh" gesture. She winked at him and Tessa, then straightened, composed herself, and walked out of the hall. No one had seen her come down. As she passed a maid, they exchanged hellos, as if nothing out of the ordinary had happened.

Was that?... David wondered.

"Your name, I will not ask again." David suddenly felt the tingling sensation on his face and realized she was back on him.

"David" he blurted out. That damn fog. He couldn't react fast enough to lie. He cringed internally at giving her his real name.

"I was just saying to your fellow orphan here," she said orphan like someone he didn't think it was a real word, "that you two seem quite clean." Her eyes were narrow and her tone seemed lower, "you do not look like refugees."

David tried smiling, "Thank you," he said. "We're not like the others, we had some money saved up and we were able to make the journey a bit better."

Mrs. Field watched them both, taking in their faces. Then a woman came down the hall at a quick pace.

"Mrs. Field, ma'am," she stopped just outside the door. "The visitor, she asking for some of the restricted books. I tolds her they were off limits for a reason, but she's a bit aggressive ma'am. She insists on being able to see them at once."

Mrs. Field didn't move for a moment, then finally, "Take these two...refugees...to Kara, have her give them jobs and lodgings." She turned and started out the room, the other woman bowing her head slightly as she passed.

"Yes my lady," the servant said.

Mrs. Field stopped for a moment and looked over her shoulder at the woman, than at David and Tessa, "Make sure she has them pay a down payment. These aren't just any refugees it would appear, they're upper class." Her smile was not genuine. She then turned and made her away down the hall with her two bodyguards before disappearing.

The woman looked shocked and gave an uncertain bow saying, "Yous are both nobles?" She sounded a bit excited.

"Umm," David said, "not exactly."

"I aint met any noble refugees," she continued.

"Well, actually, we're just," David tried to interject, but she wouldn't stop talking.

"Well we gots to make our ways to Kara's office. Shes gonna give yous a job."

She looked at Tessa, "Are you a duchess? You look so pretty," she touched Tessa's hair, "oh your hair's so pretty." Then she jumped back, "oh, I'm so sorry I forgots myself," she bowed many times. David sighed.

"What's your name?" He asked.

"Viki," she said.

"Don't worry Viki, we're just like you. Go ahead and take us to Kara," David said.

"Certainly," Viki answered, almost bouncing. She seemed to cycle through moods very quickly.

When she was a bit farther down, before he and Tessa started walking, he whispered to her, "Did you see the girl? I think maybe that's who we're supposed to talk to. Also, what the hell was it with that woman? It felt really hard to lie. Is this more magic stuff? I don't really like it. It's gonna make it hard to keep lying to her."

Post subject: Episode 3. Post 2
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:13 pm 

Tessa

It was hard to keep from making frustrated sighs and noises at David. He really had no idea how to lie or compose himself to fit in. He spoke before he gave any thought to his words and what they meant for the world they were in. Had he never read anything travel fantasy books? The woman turned to her and asked if she was an orphan. That wasn't hard for her. She was. "Yes, I'm an orphan." She could probably spin a longer yarn if she wanted, but why go past what was true. The woman still didn't seem to believe her, which wasn't surprising with the way David was acting. When asked for her name Tessa responded easily "Tessa." She didn't bother to give a last name, what would be the point.

Tessa was about to try to give some excuse for her 'brother', but Fields was pulled away. She gave a small sigh of relief. Tessa was becoming certain that something resembling magic was active in this world. There had been enough weird stuff. And there was something about that woman that was impossible to resist.

As the pair of them were being led away the girl tried to touch her hair and Tessa pulled back almost snarling at the woman. She didn't like being touched. As she did a spark seemed to crack. Tessa wasn't certain if it shocked the woman or not. "I'm not a duchess. We aren't royalty. We earned the money we have just to get here to the city. We heard it was the best place to be. I'm starting to doubt that from the reception we've received so far." It wasn't Vickie's fault, but Tessa was tired and sore and emotionally exhausted. So much had happened and with no explanation.

"Let me do the talking. You're terrible at this." Tessa said. She hadn't seen whoever David was talking about so she whispered back "What woman? I agree though Mrs. Field is strange and powerful." Tessa thought for a moment. "Vickie, what can you tell us about Mrs. Field and Kara?"

Vickie paused midstep "Oh Mrs. Field is wonderful, isn't she? She's gotten us organized in ways we never were before over the last year. She's magnificent. Kara was a refugee too. She has been here for about two years. But she's very stern. Don't talk back to her. If you do you'll get the worst jobs, like cleaning the latrines." Then Vickie continued on walking.

Tessa blinked. They had magical superhighways but not indoor plumbing? This place was a study in contrast. Tessa thought a bit as they walked trying to figure this place out. They had a couple of leads. The Law had talked to them in their heads, and David had seen some woman who might be their contact. They needed to find the Law before someone else did.

"Oh, another question Vickie do you know a Juliet Brennen? She is a friend of a friend, we were told she might be here." Tessa asked as they neared the end of another twisting hallway and Vickie paused in front of a door with her hand on it.