All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:57 pm 

Blog: View Blog (0)

The race was on.

A test of speed lit a fire of competitiveness among the young riders, especially in young Juniper, who strives on victory. Aynir -her juvenile dragon who has been at her side since hatching- was already at the starting line with wings spread, ready for take off. Impatiently, the night coloured dragon swept the ground with his tail as he eagerly fluttered his wings. Without anymore hesitation, Juniper jumped on his back and stroked his scaled neck.
"Let's show 'em how we do it, eh boy?" she grinned.

The instructor signaled the beginning of the race, over a dozen pairs of wings flapped forcefully and whirled into the air. Juniper had already began to lag behind. Nightraider dragons are not known for their speed, they are considered particularly slow during the daytime, but stealth was on their sides. Juniper and Aynir had spent their free time practicing maneuvers and tricks to increase speed. The little bundle of dark energy reared higher in the sky, above their fellow racers.

Riding the wind, the pair could see the entire home-island. The island was isolated; its closest neighbours being a bundle of miniature islands that were too small to be habitable. It too was small, its population ranging in the hundreds, but what it lacked in ground it made up for in height. The settlers learned to live harmoniously with the mountains, especially as on the very top of the largest mountain hosted a breeding ground for the other settlers on the island; dragons. Humans and dragons lived peacefully on the island; they helped each other improve their quality of life and kept balance. The more lucky of the settlers, the elite of the tribe, were the dragon riders, the protectors of the lands and skies. Juniper was a legacy, the daughter of a long line of dragon riders, now training to fulfill her destiny.

The finishing line was now in their sights."Come on, Aynir," she cheered her dragon as they plummeted down with a great speed. Aynir twirled, rapidly gaining speed as they approached the ground. With a tumultuous force, the pair hit the ground and toppled over a few yards. Once her head had ceased spinning, Juniper noticed that she was not the first to land, nor the second, she swore loudly and punched the soil. 'Next time, we'll get it,' she thought as she rolled over to check on Aynir who had already jumped back on his feet and chuckled. At least she assumed he was chuckling.

"A sloppy landing, Juniper," the instructor said coldly, his brows furrowed and lips tightly squeezed together. "Please, practice some control over your dragon." His disappointed glare made Juniper wince; her smile faded and she immediately silenced Aynir, once again was waving his tail excitedly. The instructor returned his eye to the sky, watching the final racers finish.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:23 pm 

Medals: 4
Completed RP (1) Supporter (1)
Recruiter (1) Gif Hunt Participant! (1)
Blog: View Blog (4)

There was also a young person who observed the racers from the ground. He dreamed to become a dragon tamer if not for his condition. His hood seem to cover most of his skin. Why was he cloaked like that was somebody's guess. He witnessed Juniper struggling to keep up with the other racers, and even she and her dragon failed to reach first place. Regardless of what position she was in, the boy was impressed with her determination. He would like to go and speak to her about her performance, but he was afraid that she would notice his condition. But something behind the boy begged to differ.

It was his juvenile greenthorn dragon, who had been in bond with her master since he founded her as a baby. His dragon snorted quietly near the boy to encourage him to speak to her. The hooded boy looked back his dragon, unsure that if she were to find out about his secret, she would ridicule him. "Are you sure you want me to do this? She might...," the boy stammered a bit, but his dragon would not want him to lose faith in himself. "Oh... Alright. I'll try." He spoke again, and this time he approached Juniper with caution. He hope that she would at least go easy on him.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:06 pm 

Once all were assembled, the instructor called for a break for the day, leaving early to attend a meeting for the qualified riders. Aynir rested his head on Juniper's shoulder; suddenly overcome with hunger. The dramatic creature that he is, refused to support his own body weight or take another step, thus collapsing on top of Juniper. The extra body pressing on her back caused her to slump.
"Alright, I'll get you something to eat, you big baby," she grunted, trying to shrug him off.

Sensing the cloaked figure approaching, she walked quickly to avoid him. At the rider's food store, she filled a pail with raw fish and another with water. Turning around, the cloaked boy was behind her, seemingly nervous.
"What do you want?" she asked. Stepping forward in order to get a better look at the boy. She examined him with a raised brow; she couldn't see very much, the cloak successfully masked most of his face but she saw his hands were pale. Incredibly pale. With a sigh, she shoved the pail of fish into his hands. "Here, make yourself useful," she said, not waiting for an answer, already returning to her dragon. She found that Aynir was a good judge of character, if he didn't like him then she wouldn't bother to hear what he had to say.

Smelling the fish, Aynir's head perked up. He immediately pounced towards the boy but stopped before he made contact. He made clicking noises as he sniffed the unknown person. Sensing no immediate danger, the dragon thrust his snout into the pail of fish and devoured every morsel. His mouth became stuck within the bucket but that did not deter him from licking it clean.
"So what do you want?" Juniper asked again, her hands placed on her wide hips.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:18 pm 

The cloaked boy fidgeted nervously when Juniper asked him a simple question. "I watched you racing with your dragon," He said to Juniper with honesty while trying to make this conversation less awkward as possible, "It's just that I've never seen a person who had so much determination."

His green dragon looked at Aynir and decided to smell him. Seeing that Aynir was also the same state as the cloaked kid, the green dragon made a friendly smile. "Down, Razeth!" The boy spoke as he commanded his dragon to step back, "I'm sorry. Razeth liked to socialize with new people... I'm sure she wouldn't mean any harm." He chuckled nervously, but had thought that he had done the exact opposite. Razeth interjected and gently pushed the nervous boy towards Juniper. It may be too much and the boy tripped with his cloak uncovered. Razeth sort of goofed and shifted her eyes awkwardly.

"Razeth... ow..." He whined softly, "That hurts! Could you be careful next--"

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:44 pm 

"Thanks, I'm glad someone appreciates it," she replied, her expression softening. Juniper often felt that her efforts went either unnoticed or criticised, especially by her kin. It didn't help her that she was the only female rider of that generation, even her fellow classmates saw her as a joke.

Finally succeeding in push the pail from his snout, Aynir raised his head to greet Razeth. He kept his body low, with his tail wagging, and looked at her playfully. Aynir did not socialize with the other riders' dragons and was glad to be close to one.
"Don't worry about it, Aynir is pretty friendly too," she said as the dragon was commanded to back away. Aynir followed Razeth, making an assortments of clicking and purring sounds.

Instinctively, Juniper moved to grab the boy but was too late. She took a moment to take in his uncloaked appearance, recognising the near white hair.
"Heey, I know you," she said, holding out a hand to help him up. Juniper only ever saw him in passing, his appearance was rather memorable. Once on his feet, she gazed into his eyes. 'Such a pretty colour', she thought. Her attention then flickered back to the greenthorn and nightraider; finally deducting that he must be a legacy as well since a bonded dragon pairing was sacred on the island. "Why aren't you training her?" she said bluntly, changing the subject.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:02 pm 

"Ahh-!!" The boy covered his face in fear in case if Juniper was harsh at him. But when he heard of Juniper's tone, he slowly uncovered his face, revealing his pure white skin and his light violet eyes, "You're... not gonna bully me...?"

At the point of being asked about his training with his dragon Razeth, the boy answered with honesty. "I did! But... we took a break an hour ago... it was it two hours...?" He scratched his head in thought, "I'm sorry... I sort of lost track... But the funny thing is... Razeth was training me to stand up to myself. She noticed my social life was... flawed. It just happened, really..." The boy patted Razeth on the head before getting back to the point on training.

"Anyway... y-yeah, I have been training her recently," The boy continued to talk about Razeth, "And it's amazing what I can do to train the fastest dragon ever... But I don't even know if she is any faster than any dragon... Probably not faster than yours.. I mean, your's is great."

The boy then realized he hadn't been properly introduced himself to the girl. He perked up and made eye-contact witt Juniper and began introducing myself. "By the way... My name is Gier Sanford... But you can just call me Gier. Only Gier."

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:18 pm 

"Why should I?" Juniper shrugged. She couldn't deny that his appearance was a little odd, she had not known anyone else to be as pale as him but she saw no merit in bullying him. She wanted to prove herself to be brave and valiant, bullying a child - which she assumed he was- would only make her appear weak. Something she would not stand for.

She was impressed with how much at ease he grew while talking about Razeth. "You are meant to train your dragon, not the other way around," she teased, amusing herself. However she admired the dynamic, Razeth appeared to care for him as much as he did for her.

"Aynir isn't that fast, we just know to work around that," she replied humbly. Aynir poked his head into the conversation at the mention of his name, he nuzzled his face in Juniper's neck which meant he was looking for attention. She petted his head while keeping her focus on Gier. "But if you would like to find out who is the fastest, you should join us during training some time. No offense to you but she deserves to be trained with a professional supervising, it'll help test her limits."

Juniper held out her idle hand for him to shake. "Nice to meet you Gier, I'm Juniper, Juniper Galewood," she said, projecting her voice proudly.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:58 pm 

Razeth and Gier looked at each other after hearing Juniper's advice about training Razeth. Geir nodded and turned to Juniper again, agreeing that he would do it. But it would not be an easy task for either of them. It takes time, effort, and dedication to improve themselves for the future. Geir would love to train with Juniper in a meantime, as he never had a training partner before. The number of training partners he had in the past was, well, none.

"Maybe we can train together," Gier suggested to Juniper about group training, "Are you okay with it, Juniper?"

As a matter of fact, Razeth was thinking the same thing. Razeth looked at Aynir with her golden brown eyes, as she might be able to bond with a new friend. Her wagging tail was slowing but moving, showing her interest in him.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:26 pm 

"I see no problem in training together," she replied, shrugging. "But I won't fall behind because of you, so there will be no mercy," she followed up sternly. Juniper took great pride in her training, possibly dedicating more time to training than any other in her class.

Aynir reciprocated the interest, chirping in delight to Gier's request.

Juniper glanced up at the sun's position, estimating that sundown would in an a couple of hours. Tapping Aynir's nose as a gesture for him to sit up, she swung her leg over and perched on his back. "We've got time. How about you show me what you two can do, eh?" With that Aynir's wings fluttered wide open as he stood up on his hind legs, enlarging himself to challenge Razeth. Both were curious to see the capabilities of the pair. Juniper's hazel eyes burned brightly, once again, with passion. She loved a new challenge.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:12 pm 

"I have to warn you though," Geir scratched his snow white nose, "Overconfidence can slow you down."

Razeth snorted out fumes of smoke from her nostrils as she spread her wings and stood up in front of Aynir. She also gave him a low, soft growling noise. Razeth accepted Aynir's challenge and was ready for anything. Whatever challenge these two were planning to do may be head-to-head combat, a race, or none of the above. Geir hoped that they will win the challenge at least, but wished Juniper best of luck.

"Show them what you can do, Razeth!" Geir cheered on to his dragon.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:02 pm 

"We'll see about that," she chuckled.

Juniper's eyes wandered as she thought up a challenge. "How about an obstacle course? Fly in and out through the jagged rocks down at the sea, fly around the island and then to the top of the mountain. First one to touch the mountain top wins," she explain, pointing at every destination. A race of speed would guarantee Geir victory however she hoped that the need for skill and maneuvering would slow him down enough for her to take the lead.

Aynir seemed pleased with the plan. His small body could cross through the rocks easily and he loved the mountain top. He skipped to the stating point, not waiting for Geir to accept, regardless of the race he was eager to run the course.

"You ready?"

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:16 pm 

"You're on!"

Geir then nodded to Razeth as she began to get to her starting position. She went to Aynir and stand next to him, wagging her own tail slowly and making a small growl. The dragon's eyes narrowed at the objective, even though the it was fairly simple, even for her or Aynir. "You can do this, Razeth," the boy encouraged Razeth, "I believe in you more than you believe in me." Razeth was happy to hear the words from an albino, and would do her best to win the challenge.

Razeth readied herself as she waited for the signal from either one of them. But it was Juniper who may call the shots to give the signal. Who would win, and who would lose? The confidence between the two dragons was already at stable, but overconfidence would be the death of either one of them.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:40 pm 

"On your marks, get set... Go!" Juniper called out.

Aynir sprang into the air, his wings unfolded and catching the wind. He dove down to sea level, tucking his feet in to avoid the water as he darted towards the rocks. As they approached the maze of rocks, Juniper ordered; "Turn!" Immediately he shifted his body to an 90 degree angle. Juniper clung tighter to avoid falling off. She continued to order: "Turn, turn, turn," which he followed without issue until they cleared the obstacle part.

Using the last rock, Aynir pushed himself away in order to gain speed as they started to circle the island. Juniper kept her eyes forward, she had no idea of the location of Geir nor concerned herself with it, her mind was focused on that moment and tackling each task as they came. Whenever she found Aynir losing speed, Juniper would point at a large surface which he could use to push against for a boost. Aynir did not fly in a straight line but zig zagged in the sky, a common behaviour of his breed.

Reaching the race's starting point, the pair bolted towards the mountain top. The wind beating against them, Aynir positioned himself in a way to minimize resistance. Juniper stretched out her hand, her fingertips spread out like a fan, to touch the mountain. Just a little more further.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:12 pm 

Razeth delayed by a second before flying after Aynir. Geir glinged on to his dragon so he would not slip away or fall off. Following his movements as they race, one of which was Razeth tucked her feet to avoid the water. "Dodge! Avoid! Turn!" Geir commanded as Razeth avoided the incoming obstacles, "Keep going! Speed up!" The dragon heard the words carefully as she began to increase speed, and then spin up to 360 degrees.

Keeping up with Aynir was not easy if not for the obstacles. Razeth was determined to not give up. She, along with Geir who still hold on to her, flew into a loop-de-loop before they can pick up speed. Finally, Razeth flew past Aynir. Perhaps a greenthorn dragon like her may be faster, but her traction may be a bit off.

"Hey, you're doing pretty good so far!" Despite Juniper being falling behind, Geir encouraged her to win, "I hope you can keep it up!" His words followed by Razeth's roar.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:00 pm 

So close to the end to have been overtaken, shocked Juniper. Aynir winced slightly from hearing Razeth roar but it only pushed him to fight. "Come on, Aynir, you got this," she encouraged. Neither of them wanted to lose, to face two losses in one day was going to be hard on the ego.

Aynir returned a roar, as he pushed himself off the mountain's body and zig zagged past her using the wind resistance to his advantage. As they approached the top, Aynir found himself slowing down again with nothing to use as leverage. Juniper felt Razeth gaining speed, approaching them rapidly. With all his might, Aynir scrabbled to land on the mountain top first. He slammed his body down, skidding across for a few feet. The chaotic speeds formed a cloud of sand and loose soil on the ground as they landed. Both winced to avoid sand in their eyes. They waited patiently for the air to settle.
"Geir? Are you there?" She called out into the dust cloud. Gradually, their silhouette emerged, Juniper sighed in relief.

She jumped from Aynir's back to approach them. "That was amazing!" she said, giggling in glee. Playfully, she punched his arm as he came close. "You and Razeth are amazing," she clarified. Respectfully she held out a flat palm and cautiously petted Razeth. "Aren't you a special one, eh?" Juniper smiled softly, she was impressed by every dragon and their individual abilities.

Feeling unappreciated, Aynir tackled Juniper, pining her to the floor with his body weight, and licked her face. "Oooomf. Yes-yes, you are amazing too." she chuckled, hugging his head.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:21 pm 

"R-Really?" Geir was touched by Juniper's comments and smiled gently in response, "T-Thank you..." He then turned to Razeth, who purred at Juniper after being petted. Geir ran onto Razeth and hugged her tightly, giggled in joy that Razeth had done an excellent job. However, it seemed that both Razeth and Anyir may have been evenly matched. All that training for these two dragons were paid off. Maybe they might be ready for the real challenge. Hopefully they could not fail next time.

"You did excellent too Juniper," Geir complimented her, "Well, actually, we did excellent. I wasn't sure how to say this, but I think we finished at the same time." He then turned to Razeth and explained to Juniper about what she could do. "Razeth may be the fasted dragon I know, but I was not sure if there was a dragon faster than her."

Razeth turned to her master with a grin, being called special and all. "Hey, don't let that get into your head, girl." Geir laughed, "You still have training to do." He then return his attention to Juniper, hoping she had something else in mind. "So, Juniper?" Geir asked, "What do you want to do next?"

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:35 pm 

Crawling from under her dragon, Juniper scrambled to her feet. For a moment she spared herself to enjoy the view, she enjoyed it on the mountain top, having climbed up the mountain many times throughout her childhood. Although a little frustrated that Aynir was not the better of the two, considering the hours of work they put in, but she couldn't discredit Geir training; which he seemed quite proud of. She pushed aside her competitive pride and smiled at the boy, accepting a draw as good enough. "Razeth is incredibly fast," she said. "I almost fell of Aynir back there when she overtook us. Soon enough beating us will be a breeze for you."

Aynir remained slumped on the floor. He rolled on his back, enjoying the last of the sun before it set. Noticing this as Juniper thought of another challenge, she did not think it would be best to force the dragons to race again. They had put in their all to get up here, it was only fair to let them rest for a little while.

"Now we train," she said, unsheathing the sword that hung at her hips. It was a basic training sword, the blade around the length of her arm. Juniper eyed Geir's sword and waited for him to arm himself before she made any advancements.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:53 pm 

Razeth nodded to Geir to accept Juniper's offer to train with her. Although he wanted to, he would not want to hurt a friend. He got up and approached Juniper as he unsheathed his sword from his holster. It was also a training sword that he used in his training back then. He usually fought wooden dummies in order to become better at offense. But the problem was he never had any live opponents, especially those in training.

Juniper could be her first training partner. Geir was getting tired of practicing with dummies who could not counter attack at all. Without hesitation, Geir prepared himself to train with Juniper. "Well, here goes nothing," he spoke before he could make a move, "Good luck with your training too!" Geir started off by running towards Juniper, and attempted to swing his training sword at her.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:08 pm 

Juniper hid her nerves, she wasn't that advanced with a weapon but she had brute strength as a backup. Whenever she was sword training with her cousins, they would violently attack until she could no longer keep up dodging, she never get a chance to hit. But she didn't dare ask Geir to go easy on her, she would learn eventually. She stretched quickly and cracked her knuckles, while focusing herself with deep inhales.

"First to disarm their opponent; wins," she said. "Good luck."
Juniper stood her ground, shifting her foot forward to secure her balance. She raised her sword as Geir swung his, both blades collided with a loud clang that echoed in her ears. Carefully, Juniper shifted her weight forward, pushing Geir and his sword back. Once in a position she was comfortable in, she managed to pull back, hoping that Geir would lose his balance and fall.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:26 pm 

Geir did lose his balance, but managed to hold on to his sword. He got up and resumed his training with her. In case if Juniper attack with her own sword, he was prepared to dodge her attacks. He continued to swing his sword, but the accuracy may be a little off. Razeth watched her master trying to fight properly, but all she can respond was shaking her head in embarrassment. But she shouldn't lose her faith for the master for he was trying so hard to be strong.

Although his determination was showing within Geir, it may be lesser than Juniper's. He was not used to this kind of training unlike the time he trained with dummies. Again, Geir was great in offense, but lacked defensive maneuvers. He could be more fragile than Juniper too! His speed seemed to be fairly fast, so maybe it would be at least easy for him to avoid such attacks... Hence the word maybe.

Last edited by Karasz on Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.