All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:26 am 

Hanging stockings with care

Blog: View Blog (0)

Zarna chuckles. "I suppose you would think that, but there's a little more to the story." She takes a long pull on the pipe drawing out the moment. "My mother wasn't proud of her family name and among my father's people a surname is something organic that comes out of the years relating to oneself. In what I think was a supreme moment of bluntness my mother named me for the storm that had been raging at the same time she entered labor and continued through my birth. Drow humor is rather dry." Concludes Zarna with a sharp toothed smirk with smoke dripping from the corners of her mouth.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:05 pm 

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ Cruel and Unusual ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

Blog: View Blog (5)

"Right," said Gram. "Well, there'll be plenty of time for chatting down on road, wouldn't you say? It'll be a long and hopefully boring journey until we get to Shalehallow. Shall we head down to the stables and get on our way?"

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:24 am 

Zarna snubs her pipe with a nod of ascent. "Certainly I don't wish to stay in the underdark longer than I must." Rue content with the food reluctantly gets up to follow Zarna with a last look back at the bartender. He'd liked the taste of Rothe and didn't often get seasoned meats unless the winters were harsh. The treat would go a long way in soothing the stresses of falling literally into a new world.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:42 pm 

The group heads down to the stables. There is a skink-like lizard the size of ox tied up to a cart laden with goods. Rather than wheels, it has glowing stones embedded into its bottom, and floats slightly off the ground.

A second lizard-and-cart next to it, but with space yet, and Gram beckons to Zarna. "Yer beast and ye can set up here if you like. It's a long trek."

Ozdimir clambers on and the dwarves take their places at the front of the hovering wagons ready to drive the lizards.

"Shouldn't be too long though," Gram calls back. "We know a few shortcuts... will let us keep out of the way of any trouble."

The journey is a slow and uneventful one, taking a few hours. Ozdimir makes small conversation with Zarna about foods, music, and wonders of the natural world - subjects of interest but nothing into her personal life. Several times the lizards climb up sheer cliffs, though the hover-cart platforms remain oriented upright for the ascent as the are pulled along.

Eventually they come an end in the tunnels, where a gigantic spider carved into the stone looms over the gate into a vast cavern. Numerous large stalactites of glowing stone hang from the ceiling, giving a mundane, but still dim enough for drow eyes, lighting to the cave. The walls of the cavern are dotted with nooks and alcoves carved into the rock, with ramps and scaffolding constructed up their length for access to these outer neighborhoods. In the middle, stone walkways interweave like a web between larger formations of stone which have been hollowed out and renovated for use. Shalehallow looks like it's seen better days, as several of these areas are in extreme disrepair, and Zarna notes that there is graffiti everywhere, mocking local families and once-important person for their failures and decline from glory.

"Well, here we are," grunts Gram. "Not the prettiest place in the ground, but they still have enough money lying about to buy some goods. We'll be off to find out which tavern has the best ale."

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:51 pm 

Zarna's spine stiffens at the obvious touches of the cult of Lolth on the city a small part of her cheering at the signs of decay which to her mind indicated flagging devotion to the mistress of the demon web pits. "Well Ozzie where will you be going from here in you investigation of the quake?" She asks not yet wanting to break off on her own and hoping for an excuse to see some the city in good company.

She scans the graffiti reading bits and pieces while waiting for Ozdimir's reply. Rue unloads himself from the cart with a long stretch and shaking out his fur on the way to Zarna's side.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:28 pm 

HOUSE d'LYRION FOREVER FIFTY YEARS AGO

A lot of pictures of bleeding spiders, most faded from failed scrubbing attempts.

THE SURFACE WAS BETTER

I NAILED TWO HANDMAIDENS IN THIS ALLEY

A big, orcish-looking face with the word OBEY beneath it.

LIFE TAKES ITS TOLL. PLEASE HAVE EXACT CHANGE.

Among more profane and crass ones.

"I'll mostly be consulting with the mage's college... possibly consulting with the temple, if I can gain an audience. They'll clue me into any supernatural disturbances in the area. I'm certain the earthquake was not natural... I'm just not sure if it was just some powerful spellcaster fooling around with earth magic, or if some greater scheme is afoot.

I plan to stay at an inn near the center of the city called the the Knight Below. It's not hard to notice... I have much to attend to, but if you wanted I could surely show you around the city a bit."

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:33 pm 

"I would enjoy that but please don't let me keep you from your investigation. I'm happy to lend a hand if I can be of any use." She was growing tired of feeling so lost. Mother had always explained that the underdark wasn't like the world above but now Zarna is regretting not pushing for more information. Maybe she can beg use of the library of either the temple or the college to gain something above a very basic understanding of the world she'd been dumped into.
Zarna schools her face in a small neutral smile. "By the way who does the temple honor?"

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:02 pm 

"The cult of Ghaunadaur, god of slime, has assumed custody of the temple," Ozzie responds. "There are still followers of Lolth in the city, but most have left. The priestesses themselves are being sequestered in a wing of the temple and are still 'officially' ruling the city, but that's obviously not the case.

I'd recommend the library at the mage college. You'd be able to just walk right in and look around... the temple still has guards and would likely try to rope you into doing some kind of dangerous work for them."

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:27 pm 

Zarna shivers slightly "Avoiding a god of slime seems most wise. I'm surprised the cult of the Dark Dancer didn't move in to take power but I suppose their numbers are likely still too small, a pity. In any case we can split ways if you'll direct me to the college." Zarna suprised herself by the fact that she actually wished more to walk the city alone then to go anywhere near the temple. Though considering it housed priestesses of Lolth that was likely just good sense.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:06 am 

Ozzie leads her to the locale of the college, and then bids her farewell as he leaves to check himself into the inn he mentioned.

The Mage's College is an imposing structure, and the best maintained in sight. It has the appearance similar to wizards' towers from the surface, though it runs up from the floor of the cavern straight into the ceiling. Windows and balconies open up from the interior with flickering lights of the entire spectrum flashing out into the city.

The tower's entrance is a large archway, though there are no doors, only a pair of stone golem sentries to keep watch. They make no move to bar traffic in and out of the tower, however. There is much activity here... mostly drow dressed in mage's robes of various colors and degress of fanciness, though there are a few other arcane creatures wandering about.

In the main chamber, a dome covered in murals of eldritch creatures, is loud with the din of discussions of magical theory and bickering of arcane technique.

Exits to the various wings of the stronghold are labelled DORMITORIES, CELLARS, ATELIERS, and ARCHIVES.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:17 pm 

She steps cautiously inside keeping a wary eye on the golems which she had never seen before. Rue follows his tail low but untucked. He takes a deep breath in scenting the place for anything familiar since everything in this place so far smells strange. Noting the lables above the wings Zarna bee lines for the archives She wants to start on a brief history of the city and then see if she can find a decent survival guide from which to copy notes.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:45 pm 

The archives consists of two tall, open chambers. Stairs wind up to platforms and everything is lined with bookshelves, even the stairways. It is divided between the magical library containing books of spells and arcane lore, which is busy with activity, and the non-magical library which appears empty and neglected.

The non-magical library is less brightly lit than the other, as several of the wall sconces with enchanted lights have faded out, and not been relit.

The area also serves as a museum of sorts, with armor and weapons on display, strange, though wrecked mechanical devices, and the skeletons of alien creatures. Greeting her upon entering is the dried exoskeleton of a huge beast staring at her with multi-faceted eyes, almost a cross between a beetle and a gorilla... an umber hulk, if she recalls her mother's stories correctly.

There are a plaques here and there describing the general content of the shelves and Zarna easily finds the section of the non-magical library concerned with the natural world of the subterranean realms.

A single drow girl is here, sorting through the books. She is dressed in a violet and silver gown, with a large black satchel slung over her shoulder. She looks rather young, still the equivalent of a teenager by elven reckoning.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:52 pm 

Zarna plucks a book about the sentient races from the shelf followed by one on companion animals and predators. She greets the girl with a smile and as she passes by on the way to a table. She wondered what someone so young might be doing in a college library with a bag. But she shakes away the suspicion that was becoming a habit. The girl might be a traveler or simply working on studies of one kind or another. Instead she directs Rue to set himself down out of the way and out of obvious sight while opening the first of her books.

Rue moves himself into a shadowed corner where he lays with amber eyes watching his master turn pages and listens to the sounds around him.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:52 pm 

The drow girl murmurs, which might have been a return at the greeting, or might have been a dismissive remark. Either way it didn't seem to involve an effort to form any actual words. She returns to perusing the books.

She finds a few suitable books. A rather hefty and worn one is "Dangerous Beasties of the Dark", written by a dwarven explorer named Boris Rockgut. This drow translation has a foreword commenting on how it is among the more comprehensive works the translator had ever seen.

A little too comprehensive, perhaps, as it is small-printed, and drones on about ecological considerations and theories, though it has quite a few helpful illustrations, and a detailed index that will help her look up any creature she might have an interest in.

The book that catches her eye on sentient races appears to be very new, "Current Affairs of Subterranean Civilzations". The section on drow details the current decline of their power, and otherwise focuses on the rise of the Kobold Hegemony and the Umber Empire.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:06 pm 

She skims the basics of the current affairs of Subterranean Civilizations to get some common social graces and terms of address. Before deciding on a less detailed volume on wildlife Zarna notes down the title on a scrap of parchment. Perhaps she could get a copy down at the market. Then she rises returning both books to the shelf and searching for a more general guide.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:58 am 

She files the information in the back of her head, should be find herself dealing with such peoples.

She then finds a small, local guide to the tunnels, which includes several maps and pointers on the local fungal and subterranean plant life.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:56 pm 

Zarna looks up to see what the drow girl from before is doing between scratching out rough notes in a journal. She also looks around her for anything interesting. Rue yawns wide his white fangs flashing as he licks his lips. He was becoming bored with playing guard dog, usually Zarna would have let him at least prowl around on his own. Being stuck like a tame dog was making him restless.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:31 pm 

The girl is browsing the books, seemingly taking an interest in rare minerals and rock formations. She returns Zarna's glance and gives her a narrow eyed, studious stare.

There are quite a few objects of interest, in particular the mummified remains of strange monsters like illithid and neogi, a case of beholder eyes sealed in amber, and what appears to be a collection of artwork and other artifacts taken from various surface cultures.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:12 pm 

Looking down Zarna scoops up her notes sheepish at being caught people watching. She returns the books and signals Rue to follow her out. She would check the markets for a copy of the first book which she felt certain would come in handy. Then she would likely wanter about window shopping for a time. With nothing better to do she could think of no better way to kill a few hours.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:15 am 

As she is leaving the area, she is noticed by a pair of drow wizards who accost her, though they look hesitantly at her wolf companion.

"You there," one says. "Just what do you think you're doing poking around in here?"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next