All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 899 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 45  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:57 pm 

Back from hiatus!

Blog: View Blog (0)

Warren was always alone. He wandered from town to town, never staying longer than he had to. As a wolf without a pack he was wary of entering pack territories. It always put him on edge. The packs always had one of two opinions of him. Out right hostility, or hopeful welcome. He preferred to stay on his own. He had given up on pack life years ago. Thanks to the much slower aging of shifters he had lived more years than he cared to count. He had many so-called friends that had left him invitations to join packs. He never answered. He didnt want to go through the same things again. The constant politics, fighting for positions, and jealousy. True a pack was a family, but it could be just as cruel as living with strangers in a bad town. He shuddered at some of his darker memories.

He was an outcast for a reason. As a mixed blood shifter he was scorned by many shifters. He was half Lynx, half Wolf. His wolf was an uncommon solid white. Even stranger he had the claws and thick fur of a Lynx. What really made him stand out was the brown Lynx patterns on his white fur. He smirked. What was funny was how many had underestimated him. He had many scars from fights. They always thought him weak because of his odd appearance and mixed blood. They were wrong. If anything he was stronger than most shifters he'd ever met. And larger. He was surprised the first time he saw his shifted form. He was every bit as large as many of the Alphas he had met over the years. He sighed. Alphas, Betas, it made no difference to him. He cared little for titles and politics.

He had been deceived by a pack once. Betrayed in the worst way by one he had truly trusted. But it didn't matter. He'd learned that lesson well. He was polite to any shifter he met. But he shut them down cold if they tried to get close to him. He wouldn't let it happen a second time. He sat in the diner and looked out at the lightly falling snow. He hadn't seen snow in a long time. He had finally decided to head north again just to feel the cool wind and hunt in the soft whiteness of winter. He turned back to his food and tensed as he scented another shifter nearby. He couldn't tell if the shifter was male or female. But it didn't matter. He sighed. Another welcoming committee and another town he'd seen for only a day. He shook his head and started eating as he planed where he would go next.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:08 pm 

Winter. A time for hot drinks, warm blankets, and activities in the snow. Family trips would be planned, trips to warmer places, trips to places with more snow. At least that's what happened with normal families this time of year. Empty houses stood dark and cold, mail piling up in the mailboxes, just waiting for their occupants to return. Those who decided to stay behind flooded the little coffee shops, huddling around fireplaces or gathered around patio heaters if the weather wasn't too bad. Anywhere they could go to stay warm with friends and a hot cup of coffee or tea while they spoke about their day.

But not Kai. She wasn't exactly normal even if she tried to appear so. She had friends, yes, but she didn't much care for doing trivial things such as gossip over coffee and scones. It bored her. Besides her handful of friends, Kai kept to herself. She lived alone and preferred it that way. Not that she didn't want to live with someone eventually, it's just that she liked the quiet and not having to hide who she truly was. Being a shifter, it was hard to get close to people; even her 'friends' didn't know everything about her, very few had actually been to her home. It was better to keep it that way. Not that she really seemed to mind.

On this particularly cold day, she set out to find something to eat. Rarely did she ever stock up on more than junk food and a few pieces of fruit. Just outside the diner (her favorite one), she cut through the parking lot, black boots kicking up fresh and dirty snow alike as she headed for the door. Under her hood, thick puffs of white breath caught hold of the light breeze, disappearing in the distance. Once inside, her gloved hands brushed the powder from her shoulders and onto the floor. Shaking her head, her thick, fur lined hood fell back, revealing her stark white hair pulled off to the side. Her skin, already pale on its own, was tinted blue from the cold outside. Nothing a little central heat wouldn't fix. Without even waiting, she made a bee line for an empty booth near the window. As she sat, a shiver ran up the length of her spine, an odd feeling settling in the pit of her stomach. Sliding off her gloves and setting them aside, she shook the feeling off, attributing it to the cold and her need to eat.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:25 am 

Back from hiatus!

Warren watched as the shifter moved to a booth only a few feet away. He was glad he had masked his scent. It appeared she hadnt noticed him so he acted as casual as possible. He grimaced. His chosen attire was anything but discrete, but it was comfortable, and had saved his life several times in the past. The treatment he was given while wearing it in public varied though. It ranged from people respectfully thanking him for his service to the same kind of hostility he had endured after Vietnam.

He adjusted his dark green vest and finished his meal. He kept a warry eye on the shifter and continued to act like what he looked like. A human with military paranoia. he was watching everything, an old habit he had developed in the jungles of Nam, and hed never lost it. It had saved him more times than he could count. He stood slowly and picked up his duffel, and frowned when his gun shined in the light. he had a carry permit for the weapon, and his military appearance stopped most questions about his gear he wore.

he paid the bill and left a good tip on the table as he turned and walked toward the doors and he muttered to himself as he looked at the snow.

"I've missed the snow. Brings back fond memories." he said to himself.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:28 am 

A menu in front of her, she glanced at everything on the glossy pages, trying to decide if she wanted to try something different or just stick with her usual. Kai wasn't big on trying new things. After finding the diner she now sat in, it took a whole year just to order something new. Change? Yeah, she wasn't exactly big on it, but maybe it was time to try something new... Eyes scanning the menu, she took her gloves, blindly shoving them in both of her coat pockets. Upon putting them there, she felt something missing. Keys, gloves....but no wallet. Fu-

Even though she knew the people who owned the place rather well (they weren't friends, she'd just been in there so much that it just happened), she'd feel absolutely horrible not paying. It wouldn't take too long to walk back home, grab it, and come back.

With a heavy, frustrated sigh, Kai stood and headed for the door. Pushing the heavy glass and metal door open, she stepped out into the freezing cold, her whole body tensing as a cold breeze engulfed her. Shivering, she managed to pull on her gloves; it took a moment with all the shaking, but. Though, as she pulled up her hood, head down, she took a few steps and, as luck would have it, she ran right into someone. Just the way she struck the stranger, she could tell they were tall, taller than her by a good few inches at least, and pretty damn solid. Alright, did she run into a person or a damn tree.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:34 am 

Back from hiatus!

He stood just a few steps away from the door as he took in the fresh scent of snow. It was crisp and clean, a sharp clear scent of winter. He relaxed for a moment and just looked around. This was a small town, a very homely place. He had seen many smaller places that had been a lot less inviting. His green military jacket dulled the bite of the winter breeze, but he was still a little chilled by it. It had been a long time since hed seen snow. It brought back a few early memories. He smiled to himself, then he frowned sadly.

It also brought back sad memories. His time in France in 44' came back to him. He was younger then, when he went to fight the Nazis...... He had lost a lot of friends in that time. It was why he hadnt tried the military life again till Vietnam. He shook his head, pushing the memories away.

As he stood there he heard the door open and a moment later some one bumped into him. He turned quickly and put out a hand to steady the shifter as she looked up in surprise. He was a good half a foot or more taller than she was. He let go as he spoke.

"Sorry, ma'am. Was just admiring the snow, I shoulda moved outta the way I guess." He didnt notice that his scent spell had worn out, so he tried to act as human as possible. He continued to look at his surroundings as he spoke to her, he kept alert out of habit.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:36 am 

Her body tensed again as a hand grabbed her wrist, keeping her from falling over; at least they were nice enough to keep her from ending up ass first in the snow. Looking up, her blue eyes went wide as her gaze fell upon the face that belonged to the hand. She opened her mouth to say something, but no words came out. There were none to be found in that moment.

It was then, with a sudden gust of wind, that a certain smell caught her attention. If her eyes could grow any wider, they just might have popped out of her head. But that scent, she'd smelled it before; not for awhile, but she'd recognize it anywhere. Kai knew exactly who (more like what) was standing in front of her. Nostrils flaring, she took a step back, clearing her throat. Taking a deep breath through her nose, she calmed herself some, but only slightly.

Finally, before she was even able to think, she said,
"Not 'ma'am'. Just Kai will do." Wait. Why did she just tell him her name? Not that she shouldn't have; he didn't seem dangerous. In fact, the way he was looking around, he seemed a little wary of everything; almost like he was afraid of something... Shaking her head, she offered a polite yet awkward smile. "It's...it's fine. Not your fault," she said after a moment. "Sometimes I...tend to forget there are other people around. I should have been looking where I was going. I'm sorry."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:40 am 

Back from hiatus!

He noticed when her eyes widened more and then he cursed himself in his head. He had let his spell run out. He was still trying to act calm and surprised when she uttered her name. he studied her for a moment more then spoke.

"It's ok. My name is Warren, just Warren. I should have moved out of the way instead of getting caught in my memories. Its just been a long time since Ive seen snow." He looked out over the town as fresh snow continued to fall. He set his face to neutral and turned back to her.

"Well I need to get going before the snow gets worse. Have a good day, Miss Kai." he nodded respectfully then turned and started off down the side walk. he adjusted his color and pulled on a green beanie that matched his gear as he headed toward the way out of town.

-I need to go. She recognized that im a shifter. If there are others near then I need to leave quickly.- He thought as he walked in a quick military fashion down the road.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:52 am 

Blinking, she watched him turn and walk away. Kai wasn't sure what it was that compelled her to start following him, but before she knew it she was putting one foot in front of the other, kicking up snow as her boots landed in or near his large shoe prints. She'd been planning to go home to grab her wallet so she could eat, and her apartment was in the opposite direction of the way she now walked. But something told her to follow him, wanted her to follow him.

It'd been a long time since she'd met another shifter. All her friends (the few that she had mind you) were all humans or some other species. Not that minded; she liked the diversity. But there was something about him, something about having been around another shifter for that brief periord of time that made her feel... It was hard to place the feeling, but she didn't want it to disappear so quickly.

Being taller, his long legs carried him further than her shorter ones. With a huff, she took larger steps, moving faster to catch up with him. Just a couple feet behind him now, she said, "I've never seen you around here before."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:56 am 

Back from hiatus!

He tensed as he heard her get closer and then speak. darnit.... she knows im a shifter. He sighed and slowed so she could catch him and he stopped near the corner of a small closed bookstore. He glanced around then turned to her. He tried to stay neutral as he spoke.

"Look, I dont want any trouble. I'm only passing through. I will leave your pack's territory as soon as I can."

He constantly watched everything as he waited for her to catch her breath and answer him.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:11 am 

She took long strides just to keep up with him, even when he slowed he was still taking bigger steps than her. But when he came to a stop, she stopped abruptly to keep from running into him again. Standing still, she took a few deep breaths, the icy air burning her lungs.

When he spoke, one of her dark eyebrows shot up, disappearing under the fur lined hood. What does he mean he doesn't want any trouble? she thought to herself. Then when he said the word /pack/ she immediately understood. Taking another deep breath, her nose scrunching at the sudden icy burn, she spoke.

"Pack? My pack?" she asked. "I'm not part of a pack; haven't been for quite awhile. As far as I know, there's none around here. If there are, they're keeping themselves hidden rather well." She shrugged, glancing around him and looking across the street. Shaking her head, her icy blue gaze found his eyes once more. "Look, I'm not going to give you any trouble; don't intend to.... I was just...curious is all. It's been a long time since I've met another....well..."

She trailed off as an older couple, bundled up against the cold, passed them. Saying the word out loud wouldn't be so terrible; the town was full of odd people of different species. But for some reason, saying /shifter/ out loud made people stop and stare. It wouldn't be the first time she'd experienced that reaction from people; quite a few bad ones at that. It was all part of the reason she'd moved to this place in the first place. But that was a story for another day.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:19 am 

Back from hiatus!

He was surprised at her answer. So she wasn't in a pack either. Another loner like himself, only she had made a home for herself. he grimaced inside. he had an extremely good reason why he had never joined another pack or settled down.

He thought on her words though. She said it had been a long time since she had met another shifter. Or at least she implied it. She had gone quiet as two old humans walked past, bundled up against the cold. He knew that humans knew about the existence of supernatural creatures. They had known for the last 40 years. Though most of them still kept secret to keep out of the public's eye.

He looked at her. And did something he had rarely done. He knew few other shifters could do it. he formed a light mental link so they could speak without words.

-You are curious of another shifter? Might I ask why you are alone and why you are curious of me?- he thought to her.

-Just think back to me. No need to be afraid, others will not hear your words that way.- He leaded back against the building. He motioned beside him as he blocked some of the wind that was making her shiver.

-Stand beside me, you'll be a bit warmer if I block the wind.- He said as he continued to constantly look around though his head barely moved.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:20 am 

When she felt him touch her mind, a little smile touced her lips. And here she thought she was the only one who could do that; at least the only one that she knew of. Not being around shifters for as long as she had, it surprised her when they could do something...out of the ordinary. Made her happy in a sense.

But before she could 'speak', she watched him move, listened to his words echo in her head. 'Stand beside me, you'll be a bit warmer...' He didn't have to twist her arm. Even with all the layers she wore, she was still freezing. Then again, the ripped up jeans she wore didn't help any. Moving out of the chilling breeze, she stood beside him. Kai stood close enough so that he blocked the cold, but not so close that she was invading any personal space.

Finally, eyes across the street to her left, she 'spoke'. I've always been curious, she said to him and only him. Except for my parents and a few others, I haven't been around them before. Never grew up with them, never lived near any of them that I knew. She shrugged, gaze never moving. I guess I'm curious about you because...the last time I ran into a shifter, it was almost fifteen years ago? Before that even longer. As for why I'm alone....

She took a deep breath, holding it in for a moment as her eyes met his for a breif moment before looking down at the snow covered sidewalk. Did she really want to tell this story, even if it would be a short one? It didn't exactly tickle her to retell about her parents' passing, about how it happened. May as well.

Ever since I can remember, it was just me and my parents. We moved from place to place, never staying anywhere longer than a couple months if that. I can't remember where we were when it happened or how many times we'd moved, but....they died. From what I remember, we'd moved right into a rather large pack's territory and they didn't like it. I remember getting threats, them telling us we needed to move on or... She took another deep breath, calming herself. Long story short, they were killed right after the last threat. Didn't even have time to think about leaving; my dad was determined to try to convince them to let us stay awhile longer. Anyway, I hid for days in the crawl space. Once I was sure it was safe, I left. I've been alone ever since.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:27 am 

Back from hiatus!

Warren listened to her story. He didnt interrupt but he nodded respectfully at the end. He knew the kind of loss she had felt. Because he suffered a similar thing.

-I've been alone a very long time. I judge you to be a good age, over 80 at least. I am past a hundred..... And I have spent much of that time alone. You see I am a hybrid. I am a Lynx-wolf. A powerful and rare hybrid. I am feared and hated by some. Respected and honored by others. And hunted by yet others. I lost my parents when I was 17, they were killed because of what i was. My mother was a Lynx who couldnt shift, my father was a Wolf. Since then I have moved around. I have lived in many places, many countries. I havent had a home in over 60 years. i never stay in one place longer than a few days. I have fought two wars for this country. I served in Vietnam, and in World War Two. Im an old shifter. I have learned many things in my travels. It is also why i was leaveing you. I thought I had found yet another pack. I wished to avoid any arguments or hostilities. Also, for the last 40 years I have been chased by a certain pack. I dont know why, and I honestly dont think it matters. I need to stay moving or hidden from them.-

He sighed and looked around. -My name is Warren Tempest. And now you know more about me than anyone else has in over 70 years.-

He stopped and pondered what had prompted him to tell her everything. It was strange. She was the first shifter he had met in a long time that he was comfortable around. it confused him. He didnt understand why he was so comfortable around her.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:37 am 

Kai listened to him speak, staying quiet as she hung on every single word. She didn't really think it would be easy for him to guess her age, but he wasn't far off. If she was trying to get a few laughs, she'd lie and say she was only 80 years old; only shifters would understand and appreciate that joke though. In reality she was just a little over a hundred years old herself. Still a youngster compared to some, she guessed. The more she listened to him talk, the more she felt for him. He was alone just like she was. He didn't belong to a pack either. While no one hunted her, he was afraid and running for a reason; a good reason. No wonder he'd been so eager to get out of town as soon as he realized she knew what he was.

When he was done, she looked up at him, eyes sad. Seems like you've had it harder than me, she said to him. A smile touched her lips when he reintroduced himself I didn't say it before, but it's nice to meet you, Warren. I'm Kai Evans and, like I said before, I'm not part of a pack, so I mean you no harm.

She shifted on her feet, arms crossing to try and trap what little body heat she had left. Suddenly, an idea popped into her head. Kai doubted he would agree to it, but from one shifter to another, she had to try and offer a helping hand, even if only for a little while. Looking up at him, her smile grew and she said, Listen. I'd hate to leave you in this cold not knowing that you have somewhere safe for the night. So, if you'd like, you can stay with me. All I can offer you is the couch, but at least it's warm and safe. Something told her he would turn down her offer. He was a drifter and it would be understandable if he'd rather move on than stay with her. But she had to try. At least in the safety of her apartment, they could speak freely (and in the warmth) without having to worry about anyone overhearing them.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:39 am 

Back from hiatus!

Warren considered her offer for a few moments. He wanted to refuse, he didnt want her to be hunted too after-all. but something urged him to accept. He felt more content around her than he had felt in a very long time. he waited a moment as another few humans passed them by.

"As long as I am not intruding. I wouldnt feel ok intruding upon your home." he said as he looked at a few nearby humans. He tensed. something was off around them. He didnt know what it was but he was instantly looking around. His whole body tensed. He caught the scent of someone very familiar.

-Not here! Why now?- He thought to himself. it was the same hunter that had followed him for the last few years. he had never met who it was, and he honestly didnt think it would end well if he did. He stood from the wall and glanced everywhere as he tried to figure out where his hunter was.

PostThis post was deleted by Guest on Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:14 am.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:19 am 

Having to contain a happy smile, Kai gave a small nod. Rather than speaking through their mental link, she spoke aloud. "You wouldn't be intruding at all. Actually, it'd be nice to have a little company for a change, even if only for the night."

The moment she saw him tense, however, the smile disappeared completely. Kai tried to follow his gaze, wondering what he was looking at. What was he seeing that was making him act this way? Surely it had to be something, but of course she didn't know what to look for. She didn't know what he was running from, hiding from. All she saw were people minding their own business. Or so it seemed to her. Nothing felt out of the ordinary to her. But she wasn't used to being on edge like Warren probably was.

Looking up at him, she kept her voice low as she spoke. "What's the matter? Is...is everything alright...?"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:22 am 

Back from hiatus!

Warren tried to relax. maybe e was just overreacting. Then the scent hit him again. It was faint, but it was definitely there. He literally entered an automatic survival mode. He let his instincts take over.

"No. One of my hunters is nearby. I dont know how close. But he is here. i dont know how he found me this time." he spoke in a dead serious low toned voice as he continuously looked around. his hand had automatically come up to grip his sidearm. He glanced at her as he looked around alert for anything.

"You have a choice right now Kai. Turn around and walk away, forget you met me, and stay out of the trouble following me. Or stay and possible have to fight with me. I dont wish to drag you into this. I dont even know what the hunters want." He waited for her answer as he drew the gun and kept it at his side as he looked around cautiously.

Last edited by War'nak on Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:28 am 

If his words didn't strike some fear into her, the sight of a gun sure as hell did. Yes, she'd seen them before, used one once; but that was a long time ago. The thought that something was going to happen, something to disturb the peace in the little town that she called home, was frightening. But what did he mean by /hunter/? Was it from the pack that he said had been hunting him? Or was it someone completely different? There was no way to tell. He'd given her a choice. While a hard one, she knew she couldn't just leave him alone to fight this on his own. Walk away and forget she ever met him? That wasn't possible. If she walked away now, she'd worry for who knew how long about Warren, wonder what happened to him, if he'd survive whatever was coming on his own.

Taking a deep breath, she nodded, suddenly looking serious. "I'd feel horrible leaving you right now. Honestly, I may not be the best choice to have in a fight against anything, but I'm willing to try and help," she said. If he trusted her, then.... "What do we have to do?" Something told her that going back to her place now was not an option.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:31 am 

Back from hiatus!

Warren thought quickly. He knew that when the hunter found her scent mixed with his she would no longer be safe.

"We need to get to your place, quickly. You need to gather a few changes of warm clothes and anything you think you can use. We need to get going as soon as possible" He picked up his bag and muttered the scent changing spell. He extended it to change hers too since they were both on the run now. He turned her and lead her back the way they had come from the diner. he figured her home was the opposite direction from which he had walked, and she had followed him.

The whole way to the diner he kept his gun drawn, though it was hidden by his jacket. he was alert the whole way to the diner. As they got closer he slower down then turned to her.

"Lead on to your place. I have learned many skills in my time. I will do what i can to keep you safe, its all i can do now that I have involved you in my problems. " He said as he kept looking around.

Last edited by War'nak on Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 899 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 45  Next