All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: The flight of the dragon
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:22 pm 

Blog: View Blog (4)

When Kaida was young, she had something bad happen to her. For a long time she had stayed in elf form trying to hide her true self. But, when she grew older she was adopted by a nice couple, so she felt more comfortable being in her dragon form. Even though she was a black dragon, and they are feared greatly she mostly lived in peace after her uncle who had been trying to use her for her power was killed. Now she was an adult dragon, and she was on her own in the world. She felt very lonely, like something was missing. She knew about the dragons that took people from place to place on backs. So, she decided to see if she could get into the program. But, it seemed that they did not take dragons that were able to shift as that job. Something about people feeling odd about riding the back of something that could be something like them. She had traveled, and a hunter had caught her but not to kill her. He had caught her to be a mount for the dragon riders. She didn't like being forced into it, but perhaps the dragon rider would be what she had hoped for all this time. For someone to be close to.
She stood there in the fenced off area, waiting for the person that would bond to her. She was rather nervous. She feared that because of the fact she was a black dragon, whoever took her might have bad ideas about her. Well the fact the person who took her to be a mount for a dragon rider knew she wasn't something to be feared, she was pretty sure her rider wouldn't feel that way either.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:30 pm 

Medals: 8
Completed RP (1) Most Patient (4)
Most Punctual (1) 1st Year (1)
Blog: View Blog (0)

Eventually Kaida would have more than likely heard some conservation out of range of her vision, as it were blocked by a wall, and that would be followed by the sounds of footsteps. This was apparently the individual that was assigned to be her rider.

"Kaida I presume?" The figure immediately snapped to attention and saluted - an oddity considering that she were there in the fenced off area. The man was quite unusually professional looking, and dressed in a neat jacket that was complimented with a scarf around his neck. One might have thought it were human if not for the slightly blue coloration of his long hair and the points on his ears that jutted out of the same.

In reality, he had been of mixed race himself, which is why he was surprised to be assigned to Kaida. His father was half-human and half-elf and his mother was mostly human, but had enough fae blood running through her veins to make him develop a bit differently than his peers, but not enough to retard his growth or give him wings.

Looking forward he started to speak again, hoping that she would provide the same sort of snappy professionalism that he exuded.

"I am Major Tuigalen of the Dragon Riders Corps; it should be an honor serving with you. You are a black dragon, are you not? I should warn you that means we'll be assigned to a certain...unique corps to make the best use of your abilities."

Strangely, he seemed to be -impressed- by the fact that she was a black dragon. Rather than see her as a superior and cower in fear, or view her as a foreigner to be subjugated, Tuigalen apparently thought that meant that she should be expected to make as skilled an officer as himself.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:11 pm 

The dragon bowed her head to the man, looking over his features. He was a rather unusual man, though with what she was it wasn't surprising to her that she would be assigned to such a man. He didn't seem to be frightened of her, since he was assigned to be her rider she guessed was pretty silly to fear he might feel that way. But, with the stigma she had met in her earlier life such a fear wasn't unfounded.
"Yes, I am Kaida. Good to meet you sir. I am guessing seeing a dragon such as me here might of surprised you. I am not like the rest of my kind, evil. My parents were the same way, kind and caring teaching me to be like that."
Her uncle had been the typical one, yet she wasn't sure she should tell this man about her uncle and why he had wanted her. He was dead now, so they didn't have to worry about him, yet this man who was her rider should know the reason she would act skittish and fearful at times. It was unusual for any dragon to act that way. Dragons are huge, noble, and a bit frightening to those who do not know about them. But she felt she should trust this man before telling him of her unusual abilities. So she would not tel him of her past right away.
"Please tell me what you expect of me, I want to be the best mount you can have. I am quick to learn I am guessing that is why they chose you to be my rider, so you can teach me what I need to know."
She was frightened, but tried not to show her fear. He would wonder why she was like that. She knew she would have to fight in order to be the best. She had tried to train a bit before her rider had arrived to be what he or she may want. She was pleased to see it was a male, that is what she had secretly hoped for. She had no idea what her rider may want, so she had tried to do a bit of everything to be ready for whatever they might of wanted.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:15 pm 

Having gently tapped a riding crop at his side, he looked forward and smiled with a bit of a nod, "Right-oh, well, I will be expecting a great deal from you...our superiors will be expecting far more from the both of us."

Tilting his head again, he looked again and sighed, "You know that the dragon riders corps fights against innumerable odds and you would have to do the same, but it doesn't appear like our first enemies are going to be physical."

Removing a key from his pocket with the top in what appeared to be the design of a letter, he started to open the gate that kept her from him. Abruptly he stopped so that he could finish, "You've been assigned to the test division, where new equipment is tried out, as have I."

If she really knew anything about the Dragon Riders' Corps, then he shouldn't have had to say anything else about the issue. It was considered some of the toughest work. Flying with experimental equipment, both physical, magical and alchemical, was considered deadly by many. The active duty time of a test rider or dragon wasn't long because they so often got into accidents.

"I needn't tell you any more, eh?" It should have shown her something though - they trusted in her unique talents as a black dragon. In fact, his commanding officers might very well have trusted entirely too much in her unique abilities as a black dragon, and for that matter they might have trusted in him too much.

One thing was for sure, though - she wasn't going to have a dull day again. With a sudden clang the door finally came open and she was free to come out.

"You can exist as an elf independently, am I correct? We shall have to dress you appropriately as such as well. There are certain...conduct rules in that regard as you might have already surmised."

He then finally realized what she had said before, "Surprised? Being assigned to a black dragon was an incredible honor for me; I've been waiting for this kind of a posting for a long time. I'm honored that you compared me with your parents, though."

It seemed he actually volunteered for this, and it also seemed like he had no idea who her uncle was either.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:11 pm 

She was nervous, he expected a lot from her, she had been trying to get ready for whatever he wanted but was she really prepared for anything he may require of her? The people here tried to train her as best they could, but there was much she didn't know. This was her first rider after all. She had no idea what personality he might have, or how they would mesh with each other. He was like no other she had ever met that was for sure, even with knowing him for so little she was sure he was very different.
"Not physical? What sort of challenge will I be having then?"
She hummed a bit. "Testing equipment? That isn't what I was expecting to do, but I suppose there is a reason they chose me and you to do this task."
Kaida stretched her wings out slowly. "Um, well I am new to all this so anything you would tell me would be good."
She nodded, thought she was surprised he knew that she could take elf form. "I always dress conservatively, but if there is more of how I should be dressed, I am willing to dress however pleases you."
She gives a smile. "That is something, I was hoping for a male to be my rider. That ands the fact you are an elf is a added bonus. It seemed they picked us to be for each other perfectly."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:25 pm 

"There's a very good reason; only the best and brightest are set to try out the new equipment before it's issued to the other riders. Tell me, do you believe in magic?"

He frowned, "I ask because I've seen plenty try some sort of new thunder ball or lightening spell and get blown straight out of the heavens. That being said, forget about any of that - there's a very good reason they selected us for this task."

Pausing for a moment, he tilted his head and started to continue, "Should we perform very well I understand there is an extremely special and highly dangerous mission that they need a skilled rider and dragon to be assigned to. My guess is that this 'testing' assignment is far more than it looks like and we're really going to be assigned to something huge once we prove ourselves."

The comment about hoping for a male to be her rider surprised him and he blinked, "Was there any particular reason you had not wanted a female?" He looked confused and then smiled a bit more softly once he had found that he was addressed as an elf.

"Actually, I'm only part elf. My father was half-elf and half-human; mum is a quarter fairy. I guess that makes me a mutt if anything."

To be honest, Major Tuigalen was surprised with himself. He didn't believe he was going to be so open with his mount so quickly as it had seemed highly unprofessional of him to speak as such. Nevertheless here he was speaking as open as day.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:14 pm 

Kaida chuckled a bit. "Of course I believe in magic, if I didn't I wouldn't be what I am in front of you would I?" She knew far much more about magic than she was saying. She figured it was best to hide her gift away from him, she had hidden it for a very long time not wanting anyone to know she was special unique, more powerful than most dragons.
She tilted her head curiously. "I am not supposed to use any magic then? Well that is fine, I only have my breath weapon and that is all." Why she lied to him, she didn't know. What he said made her even more fearful about the powers she had, that they were wrong...bad. Of course her uncle wanting her for that power made her feel bad enough about that already. Maybe it was better than him knowing the truth, and him thinking she was normal when it came to abilities. Yet a time may come when she may have no choice but to use them, and then what?
She looked worried. "You may be skilled in riding, but I am not skilled as a mount. Why are they assigning us such a mission right off the bat?" Then her worry turned to embarrassment. "Well for a long time, I was scared of males because of..." a pause, and more embarrassment flooded her face, thinking of what happened with her uncle. "Something in the past. I loved my adopted father, yet.any other males I was still scared of. I thought I would give my fear a rest by finding a trusted male."
She then giggles. "Oh, well nothing wrong with being a mutt. That is quite unusual."
She didn't feel badly of him sharing such things with her, though she could understand wanting to hide what he was from others. She did that for a long time after all.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:51 pm 

"I never thought of dragons as inherently magical; isn't your impressive breath merely an action of your own biology?" He figured from what Kaida was saying that she knew precious little about magic; he was perhaps very much mistaken because of the fact that she was hiding something from him.

"No, I never said that you were not supposed to use magic - I was saying that you will probably be exposed to highly dangerous magic as a result of this posting, but you seem to know little about it so it should not be too much of a problem. If you have no magical abilities for it to react with I doubt it's much concern at all."

Naturally he trusted her, and that meant that Tuigalen simply thought she only had her breath weapon like she said. Fiery breath from dragons was just a fact of biology, wasn't it? They could produce it the same way that humans and elves exhaled water vapor.

"I'm sorry that you have such a problem with your history, but I promise I will only treat you with honor. I trust that you will come now; the gate is still open if you notice."

He wasn't sure that he should have pressed on with any questions about 'something in the past,' and being as professional as he was the rider simply decided to let those questions go. If there were skeletons in her closet should would tell him if she were ever comfortable.

Should she not have been then it wouldn't really have been his business...would it?

From his point of view she had no special powers beyond being a coveted black dragon, and that meant that he shouldn't have asked any further questions. He would perhaps be sorely mistaken come the near future should anything have happened in that regard, however.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:43 pm 

Kaida chuckled. "Perhaps not, but dragons are beasts of legend beasts that have much about them that people don't know about, don't understand. A lot like magic in a way, that is what I was trying to say."
Oh boy, maybe she shouldn't of lied about not having magic. With what he said, it was probably best to tell the truth now before something bad happened. She shuffled her feet, feeling very bad abut lying. He may not trust her knowing that she did, but he might understand why knowing about her past.
"Um...well..I actually have magic powers. But I had a good reason to lie. I had been used for my powers in the past. It is not that I don't trust you just...if someone else learns of my powers, what happened once may happen once more. You never know when someone may be listening."
You see her head turn towards a bird in what seems to be suspicion. She was that worried about a bird? Maybe she was not what you thought she would be when you saw that she was a black dragon.
She nodded a bit, moving out of the gate. Though she was worried with what she told him, he would change his mind. Though, she was confident they had chose the perfect rider for her personality. Yet, they didn't know about her powers. She had kept that a secret from them too. Now she was thinking that was a bad idea.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:55 am 

"For what it's worth, I have made it my business to learn about dragons. Remember I am a rider; I have had to study them from afar...and you know what? I rejected that."

He then smiled for a moment and stopped moving so that he could look straight into her eyes, "I rejected the idea that dragons are merely objects of study and decided to live amongst the dragons that I was supposed to ride. I've treated each one like an individual and..."

Immediately the Major's commentary came to an abrupt stop. She...she what?

"You have magical abilities? I was told that you would be perfect for this mission because you were a fairly mundane dragon, but were of black scales and therefore incredibly strong...they're going to assign you to something that..."

He stopped; what was going to happen was going to happen and he probably couldn't change his superior's mind anyway. If she was so frightened of a small bird it was perhaps best that he stop and not say more to avoid making her truly disturbed.

That was shocking to him, though. Black dragons were supposed to be the meanest and toughest. Of course he'd never actually met one, ironically with the fact that he made it his business to do so, but he'd always heard that they were supposed to be. This threw a monkey wrench into that equation something fierce that was for sure.

"Are...are you quite alright?"

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:28 pm 

"Maybe you don't know as much about dragons as you think..."
Kaida was different than most, not just different than black dragons but different than all dragons. It had been obvious at her birth something was unusual about her. That is why her uncle wanted to possess her. Why he killed her parents to get her. She didn't know he had, but she had always thought that could be the case.
"I hid I had powers from them, I didn't know I would be put on a case like this. Now I am wishing I did. This, doesn't change things between us does it? Maybe there is some way to work past my powers."
He must be wondering why she seemed scared of a bird, she wasn't really just...she had a bad experience with birds. They often ended up being spies.
"I think I have to tell you some things..."
She sighed, wondering if he would be as understanding as she thought.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:03 pm 

"What do you mean by that? I know a great deal about dragons; what I don't know is about you as an individual."

Looking forward as he listened to her and spoke, it had seemed as though he were still quite aware of what she was saying irrespective of the direction of his head.

"Change things...between us? What are you saying? That sounds awfully personal for someone I was assigned to work with."

Pausing once more, he then exhaled, "If you're asking though if it means you're being reassigned, it doesn't...it just increases the incredible danger that we're already in, which is why I wish that you would have said something to me in the first place instead of hiding that all this time."

Regardless of any of this, he would have been acting with understanding toward her as long as she had remained completely honest. Turning his head up once more, he shook it. "You know, I'm surprised that you weren't consoled by a telepath before showing up here. They usually like to do that in order to make sure that everything goes well, but I personally find it too probing."

The way he had said that suggested that he would have, indeed, been understanding in the way that she had wanted. Maybe she could open up to him after all.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:55 pm 

"That is what I meant, you do not know anything about me. It seems I keep embarrassing myself with words. I just feel a little strange around a man that is all. I had felt that way around males since my uncle did what he did to me. The only male I really trusted was my adopted father. I felt comfortable around him right away, why I do not know."
She felt very silly, and wondering what he must be thinking. In her mind, he must think they are a bad match. That she was a bad person for hiding the truth of herself. Now she got herself into a bad situation for hiding that. This assignment would be hard, yet really any would be that wouldn't it? Was she expecting easy?
"I mean, the fact I lied...do you want a different dragon now? Someone that is brave. Someone who doesn't have these issues?"
It seemed he must think she thought they had a romance! That made her even more embarrassed. Yet, she could not read his mind. He may not be thinking that.
She then bent over for him to climb up on her back if he wanted to do that.
"They didn't know I had the problems I had. I blocked myself from any mental intrusions. My mother taught me how to do that. I thought I could handle my past better I guess. I didn't know that this place had assignments like the one you describe. If I had known, I would of told them the truth before. I do not want my rider to get in trouble because of that. I promise not to lie anymore, and tell you the truth from now on. OK?"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:54 pm 

"You don't have to worry about embarrassing me with words or anything like that; you should know by now that I'm supposed to be a professional. Speaking of that even if I had wanted to have a different dragon I would have to apply for reassignment eventually after attempting to serve with you."

The Major again looked over to her before he started to move, hoping that she would walk with him. In the meantime he allowed himself to continue listening to her story and while he was deeply disappointed that she had not previously divulged any of that, he wasn't going to hold it against her for having kept it private in spite of the fact that his better judgment said otherwise.

"Someone who is brave might still have those issues; they would merely act contrary to them in spite of having them. If you truly do not lie any more, if you tell me the truth from now on...that would be what bravery is. Overcoming issues takes more bravery than lacking them to begin with."

He then sighed, looking her over once more, "I assume that you will still be coming down with me to report, right? Whether you like it or not, and regardless of whatever it was that had happened in the past, you're in the Dragon Corps now and you're not going to be able to get released from it, just like how I signed up and have to at least serve out my duty contract."

Having paused one last time he stopped moving and then looked her square in the eye as he spoke the next bit, "...I trust you know now that I'm not going to be like the others in your life were." While he wasn't suggesting that they had a romance like she had figured, he was saying that he would treat her more nobly than she had been used to.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:25 pm 

She smiled, beginning to relax now she knew he seemed like a nice guy, professional and not the type to dump her because she had a problem. Perhaps unlike her, he had experience with this so he knew what he was doing. If that was the case, she wondered what happened to the other dragon he had. But, she wasn't going to ask that now.
"That is a relief to me, I just wonder why they gave me an assignment like this when I am just starting out. Of course I wasn't expecting easy, but it seems that it is too much for me for the start. But, I guess if I was normal like they thought it would be simple for me. Now I see hiding truths about myself is stupid."
She walked with him, getting the idea that was what he wanted from her.
"Telling the truth can be brave, when the truth is something you want to hide. I felt if I didn't tell you that, we could be in big trouble.Will you be telling the others the truth about me? I wonder if they know, they will change the assignment. But from what you said, this is catered to a black dragon. None of the others here are black dragons."
Kaida blinked. "They didn't tell me that signing up for her was for life. Well, I will stand by what I said before. I think you are the perfect rider for me. From what I know of you, I can see you will not be like so many other had been."
She leaned over, and nuzzled him gently. She was feeling much more at ease and happy then she was before. Holding a secret like she had, weighed down on her greatly.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:07 pm 

Admittedly Tuigalen was an experienced dragon rider, that was for sure, but he had no experience with this type of flying. He'd volunteered for it because it was so dangerous, and therefore seemed far more exciting than any of the other possible assignments that he could have gotten.

On the day that they had overlooked each of the possible assignments given to newly promoted majors this looked like the best, and they only took the best and brightest for it. Emotional problems, however? He had no real experience when it came to dealing with that kind of thing at all.

"They put you on this assignment because you are a black dragon and therefore they assumed that you could stand up to anything no matter how fierce. That being said, you're not signing up for life - I never said that you were. I said you had an agreed upon contract and once you're done, you'll be moved to reserves and then out...if you want. As for me, I'm a career officer and one day I'd like to be a Dragon Colonel."

He spoke the title as though it were some great prize to be awarded. Soon enough, though, his attention had become distracted from everything else because he was...being nuzzled? Well, that was certainly a surprise.

Smiling once more he looked down toward the dragon and sighed, "Now what was that about wanting to be assigned to a different reptile? I'm not going to miss this for the world. Come on, though. Remember how we were talking about your transformation? We'll need you to have something to be fit with for when you're in elf form. You have to be dressed as an appropriate officer."

He turned his head up slowly and started to smile. The Major figured that if nothing else would raise her spirits then being given a uniform and being treated like anyone else would show her that she was truly worth something.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:45 pm 

Kaida sighed.
"Well obviously I am not the black dragon they thought I was. I guess I should of let them know more about myself. That I should of shared my troubles. Possibly they could of helped me with my fears. But I was ashamed of having those fears in the first place. I wanted to try this to explore the land, to meet more people. Maybe even to show off my power. To beat the fear my uncle pounded into me. Even with living with my adoptive parents, and them protecting me and teaching me I still feel that way. Whenever I see a male, I tense up. With being so close to my adopted father, I am not sure why males still frightened me. I guess, because my mother trusted him I trusted him too."
She had hoped that being this would make her stronger, yet it seemed that they already thought she was what she wanted to be.
"Does that mean, after this mission we would not be working together anymore?"
That seemed the worst thing ever, even though she barely knew him. Many males were not kind to her because of what she was. Assumed she would be evil. He was the first that seemed to want to be near her because of what she was, but right now she was feeling that she was failing him. That she wasn't being what he expected.
"Um, OK so we are going shopping? That is the last thing I thought I would be doing with my master."
Slowly, she became an elf with long black hair. A lovely thing indeed, with a noble and graceful look. It was easy to be fooled by her looks to think she was more confident than he really was.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:42 pm 

"You have put yourself in a position of incredible danger, but then again I figure that means that you have much more of a challenge ahead of you as a result. What that translates into is the fact that you are going to have to step up and try even harder to get the job done."

Tuigalen sighed for a moment, and looked back toward her with a shake of his head, "If after this assignment you are going to want to stay on board you'll be given the option to do so. I would then be asked if I had wanted to be reassigned back to you again, and then we could stay together. That being said you have to remember our main assignment is just that - one of several."

Pausing before he continued, the Major looked back toward her and shook his head, "We will be called on to take care of threats, criminals, marauders...perhaps in the middle of the night. This is dangerous work on top of the danger of doing magician's tests flights."

While he seemed all right explaining everything to her and even seemed relatively nonplussed when she became a graceful elf, one thing set him off.

"...we are not going shopping; you are to be fitted with a uniform."

Despite his distaste, it was obvious that at least somewhere maybe there was an aspect of his mind locked away that had considered something...attractive about that elfish form.

That being said, it wasn't something that he was going to openly acknowledge. He wasn't going to perhaps for any other reason merely because he had no wish to look as though he were anything less than a full professional. It wasn't a guise, but he did at times allow himself to become disconnected from things as a result of it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:38 pm 

Kaida had a grim look on her face. To face something like that on her first assignment, she wasn't sure she could handle it. But, she felt she deserved to be thrown into it for lying to them, to hide her true nature from them for so long. If she had been powerless, this would be easier. But because she lied, it was going to be harder. She felt she deserved this.
"I know I can do anything I put my mind to!"
She said, trying to put all her confidence to herself.
"Oh, well I guess we just have to see how this goes then. I mean, I shouldn't be rushing to make us a team forever."
She felt embarrassed for feeling so attached to him when they were first meeting. It was strange, feeling so uneasy around males and then just meeting him and feeling so close to him so soon. Maybe that was just the bond between a dragon and a rider. Not doing this before, she had no idea how it was.
"Uh...fitted? Are...you going to see me...naked?"
Her cheeks flushed bright red.Maybe it was silly to assume that though.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:26 pm 

"You would not be seen by me; rather the fitting agent would." He sighed and started to press his hand to his head.

Apparently what had annoyed him was not the fact that she had lied so much that she had very little knowledge in the way of military protocol and procedures. He was assigned to training recruits, so he figured that she would have been better prepared than this before seeing him.

Regardless she would have been taken off to somewhere that a female might have been able to provide her with an appropriate outfit before her return to Major Tuigalen, assuming that she would not have otherwise had any problem with that.

If she was able to get through this well, she would have been returned to him and he had been waiting there with a question for her.

"...can you read?" It seemed that he was being quite honest, fearful that she might not have been even able to do that.

Strangely, though, it didn't seem like he was going to abandon her should she not have been able to. He was ready at this point to stick with her through the long haul no matter what had happened really.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next