All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:41 pm 

Sort of back.

Medals: 16
Longest RP (1) Completed RP (2)
Dedicated Partner (1) Most Patient (3)
Blog: View Blog (59)

The year is 2116.

Humanity has finally conquered space travel in a way that's safe and comfortable. We have been travelling back and forth to several planets and mapping out our galaxy. Now, we are ready to take the next step - colonization. With all the progress humanity has made, we haven't learned how to preserve our own planet. So, when a sister planet to Earth was found, the first thing everyone thought about was: let's take over.

The planet has breathable air, liquid water, and a similar surface to Earth's. And it seemed to be completely empty of other life forms that could pose a threat. It seemed like the perfect place to start over... if they could find people willing to go out there and stay there, and those people had the necessary skills.

That above is the general plot. My idea for characters is to have a crew, sponsored by the government, that will move to the new planet and start a colony there. The twist here is that there is already someone in there - a native civilization, who is not happy at all to see their planet invaded.

The characters I need are:
- The ship's commander (reserved, AhZombies)
- Machinist (in charge of keeping all of the machinery working) (taken, Shades)
- Crew doctor (in charge of keeping the crew healthy and, when the time comes, prepare them for reproduction, which will be done through artificial means) (reserved, Eferhilda)
- Geologist (will be in charge of analyzing the land and choosing the best place for the colony, taking into account the presence of water, the climate, and the ability to grow crops. They will also plant and tend to the initial crops and teach the rest of the crew how to work the land as well) (reserved, Corrin)
- Cook (this person will be in charge of feeding the crew and making sure their stocks will last up until they can grow their own crops in the new planet) (reserved, Cotton)
- Record keeper and communications officer (this person is in charge of all of the necessary controls and records - they need to keep track of everything that happens, and send constant reports to mission control) (reserved, torosuperfly16)

Notes: all of these characters were already part of the Space Agency, and may be trained as needed for their specific role in the expedition. Every character can be of either gender, and will go through mental and physical health assessments before setting foot in the ship, so any character will have to be (or to pass themselves off as) physically and mentally sound in order to be accepted in the expedition.

Should this gather interest, I'll detail further.

Disclaimer: The pace for this roleplay will probably be of a post every two weeks. I will start the roleplay if I get people for all of the characters.

Thank you for reading, and feel free to ask any questions!

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:00 am 

Medals: 1
1st Year (1)
Blog: View Blog (0)

You had me at "Space" XD
Can I take the ships commander please? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:05 am 

Blog: View Blog (1)

Not normally into group RPs, but I can't pass up a good sci-fi story, especially not one about colonization. :D

I'm in if you'll take me. :)

I could play the geologist (though I don't know much about geology), or another scientist.

How many people will head over to the new planet? Is this like a large group of people and we play only a select few, or is it only the 6 people going to the new world?

Take a look at My Resume

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:07 am 

Sort of back.

Sure, reserving both characters.
And these ones are sort of an advanced expedition. If they manage to live decently there, the idea is to have other people go in gradually.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:37 am 

Sweet, thanks!

So if that's the case, mind if I make a suggestion? I don't mind if you keep things as is, and things don't need to be scientifically accurate or anything, but normally for a small crew this size, you need a diverse set of skills.

For example, what I think Nasa always does is they have astronauts that have two sets of skils, and every crucial role has a backup. In the book the Martian, Mark Watney was actually a mechanical engineer (mechanic), and the botanist. In the movie, I guess to dumb it down a bit, they just made him the botanist.

So for example, you might have the commander, and a second in command. They should also bring a set of science skills, so one might be a climatologist, and the other a mechanical engineer. There should be a doctor and a backup doctor, but maybe the doctor is also a biologist, while the botanist is the backup doctor (also assists the doctor), etc. I noticed my character is also kind of a climatologist and botanist? The chef feels a bit odd as for a crew this size you could have everyone rotate cooking (would make sense for a much larger crew). Or maybe the "Chef" could actually be the botanist and geologist, who's kind of a glorified farmer, and just happens to cook great meals, assuming the meals don't just come in freeze dried packets that you inject hot water with like Nasa currently does.

The communications officer I feel would also be for a much larger crew. Feel like they need to do something more specific.

Also everyone would have a rank of command, so if the commander and the second in command die, you know who's in charge.

Just not sure how accurate you want this to be, or if you want to go for more of a star trek vibe? Just throwing it out there as a suggestion. :) ;)

Take a look at My Resume

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:53 pm 

Sort of back.

To be honest, I'm not really going for scientific accurate at all. And to be even more honest, I've never watched/read The Martian, and not a fan of Star Trek either.

If this takes off, I may add a secondary skill to the character sheets, but for now, I'll keep things as they are and see where this goes.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:08 pm 

Shades wrote:
To be honest, I'm not really going for scientific accurate at all. And to be even more honest, I've never watched/read The Martian, and not a fan of Star Trek either.

If this takes off, I may add a secondary skill to the character sheets, but for now, I'll keep things as they are and see where this goes.

Okay sounds good. :)

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Take a look at My Resume

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:41 pm 

Contemplating existence

Medals: 3
1st Year (1) 2nd Year (1)
3rd Year (1)

Could I take the communications officer?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:43 pm 

Sort of back.

Sure, I'll reserve it for you in case it takes off!

View Likes PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:24 pm 

Owner

Medals: 14
Villain of the Month (2) Original Character (1)
Best Group RP (1) Longest RP (1)

Kind of want the doctor role...

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

"Any fool can write. It takes a genius to read"~Dadsky.
"Draco didn’t listen, so Hermione shut him down the best way she knew how"......"She set that ****ing on fire."
"Ausan: She's beauty, She's grace, She'll punch you in the face"~Smexy Awesome Fossil
Like Gaming? Want to Game with me? Or even just show your support? Check out my Twitch Channel!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:35 pm 

Sort of back.

Awesome!
If someone pops up to take the cook, I'll start working on setting up the lore stuff! =)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:23 pm 

Medals: 1
1st Year (1)

If no one takes it, I'd be happy to play a cook so we can get this started! :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:26 pm 

Sort of back.

I say we give it a few more days, as I'll probably be able to post the OOC only over the weekend, and if nobody gets it by Friday, you can have it too! How does it work?

View Likes PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:57 pm 

the stars look very different today ★

Medals: 5
Original RP (1) 1st Year (1)
2nd Year (1) Most Helpful Member (1)

Like hey I can cook. Could they also have a sort of biologist or botanist type background, so they can be more sciencey / useful? (Not that cooks aren't hecka useful)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:03 pm 

Sort of back.

Yup, every character will be allowed a main skill (what they were hired to do) and a secondary skill (something equally useful they can also do, but aren't experts on)!

View Likes PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:11 pm 

the stars look very different today ★

Medals: 5
Original RP (1) 1st Year (1)
2nd Year (1) Most Helpful Member (1)

cool <3

View Likes PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:12 pm 

Sort of back.

And, we have our full crew now! I'll start working on OOC info during the week, should be up around Friday-Saturday! (sooner if I can manage)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:27 pm 

Contemplating existence

Medals: 3
1st Year (1) 2nd Year (1)
3rd Year (1)

Looking forward to this one!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:36 am 

Can't wait!

Will we also have robots/drones to help survey the area and do various tasks?

Take a look at My Resume

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:40 am 

Sort of back.

The communications officer would probably have a few for surveying the area and return to the ship with the info about the area.