All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: REDWALL!.. Mostly!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:52 pm 

Straitjacket Hero

Medals: 1
Supporter (1)
Blog: View Blog (0)

REDWALL! Redwall is the first book in a series of the same name that many people, myself included, read as children and teenagers. Which is pretty great because these books were HARSH! Apparently woodland critters are at any given moment two steps away from a berserkergang the likes of which put hardened vikings to shame. And also do a lot of feasting and napping.

For those who aren't familiar with the series, the short version is that forest animals are as intelligent/advanced as medieval human beings (actual human beings tend to be curiously absent from the stories). Mice, squirrels, otters, and such are typically portrayed as being on the side of justice, while rats, ferrets, cats and other aggressors are usually painted as the villains. There's very little outright 'magic' to be spoken of, but I do recall the occasional seer or falling star made into a weapon. Really the most brilliant thing about the series was the balance between animals acting like people and acting like animals. Otters tend towards the water, squirrels often farm and store crops, and large birds are unholy terror (a lot like a critter equivalent of dragons).

I'm not looking to play a canon/strictly accurate representation of the world of Redwall, but I would very much like to set a story in this kind of world with these kind of characters. I've got several ideas for a plot and characters but I'd like to gauge interest first and then we can select a plot/set up that works for all of us. If cute, furry animals saving the world and murdering the absolute **** out of one another sounds like fun to you, I think you should give this idea a try!

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
 Post subject: Re: REDWALL!.. Mostly!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:33 am 

Medals: 7
Best Death (1) Funniest Member (1)
2nd Year (1) Most Dedicated (1)

Never read the books but i've played a tabletop rpg based on the series and loved it. i'm in.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
View Likes PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:48 am 

Blog: View Blog (1)

Gods yes! This was one of my absolute favourite series as a child. I think I may have read them a few times too many. I would adore having a Redwall game to play in!

View Likes PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:12 pm 

the stars look very different today ★

Medals: 5
Original RP (1) 1st Year (1)
2nd Year (1) Most Helpful Member (1)

Oh my goodness.

You know how many roleplays I'm in right now? Like, eight, probably. That's a lot for me.
But do you know how much I love Redwall?
Eulalia! Haway the braw! Logalogalogalooog!
you bet your butt I love it.

Pretty much what I'm asking is what is the posting pace you have planned? Because if you're looking for rapid-fire posting, I'm afraid I'd have to sit this one out. Whether I'm able to join or not, I will be looking forward to what you come up with!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:48 pm 

Straitjacket Hero

Supporter (1)

Real quick, I work most of today and all of tomorrow, so forgive a little slowness in response. I'm really excited to see this level of interest, and mildly intimidated too if I'm honest.

As to posting pace, speaking for myself I'm not looking for rapid posting. I work full time myself, I'd rather have fewer posts with more time put into them than rapid posts that might get ahead of themselves a little.

When I posted this I wasn't intending to hold strictly to the canon, partially because I'm just now rereading the books after years and partally because I tend to prefer original plots and characters. But we can lean more towards the canon if that's what people want, or find a spot in the middle (where Redwall and Mossflower are the setting and the characters have heard of figures like Martin and Matthias, but are unique with a unique story). Just let me know your preferences, I'm sure we'll find something everyone can enjoy =)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:08 pm 

I'm in for now, unless I find it too much later on, which I hope won't be the case.

I was personally thinking we could do non-canon characters and plot, in a somewhat canon setting?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:47 pm 

I agree. If it sticks to any of the canon i'd be lost as i've never read the books. I only know the world on a basic level, so original plot would be best.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:36 pm 

Aye, I'd prefer to not re-invent the wheel, as it were. I'm all for having the lore being canon, but the characters themselves being oc.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:56 pm 

Straitjacket Hero

Supporter (1)

That seems to be the balance I would have steered towards, which I'm very pleased with. The simplest way I'd try to balance it would be internal completeness, like... There's nothing in the thread that you have to look outside of the thread to understand, even if specific references are maybe lost on you. The books themselves are like that, for the most part you could pick any of them up and read it as a standalone story if you wanted to.

Would it be easier to talk over basic plot structure here or in an OOC thread? I will say that the format I have in mind is something like either a collection of heroes questing towards an objective, or an assembly of travelers forced into the defense of and survival off of a specific area. Both of those examples are more than once portrayed in the books, after all.
I would like to use character sheets if everyone is comfortable with that, I think the most fun elements of character design for this story will be things like species and weapon. =) Again, sorry for the delay, my work schedule is rather time-consuming.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:56 pm 

Delay? Pshaw. Your response time is just fine.
I would say we can move this over to OOC, as Interest Check is mostly just to gather the troops, so to speak. I personally like the questing heroes plot! It's so very traditional, but extremely flexible and entertaining.
I am also one to love character design. I've personally always loved the badgers, hares, and shrews, if you didn't notice by my chants.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:19 am 

I shall be known henceforth as Rathmewl, the troublesome chipmunk.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:24 am 

While I understand we aren't remaining strictly canon, one observation I noted when reading the books was the distinct lack of chipmunks. I don't recall any raccoons, either.

View Likes PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:17 am 

I was always curious about the lack of raccoons, really. They mention wolves, wildcats are an off-and-on villain, and horses are around, at least in the very first book, so it's not a size thing. And there are quite a number of species represented. Actually, that might be why...

View Likes PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:06 am 

Straitjacket Hero

Supporter (1)

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=49138

The OOC is up. =)