All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:19 pm 

Medals: 1
Supporter (1)
Blog: View Blog (0)

Greetings! I have been hoping to do an RP set between the 1500s and the 1700s. I'm hoping this to be an expansive RP with a heavy dosage of realism. Now, I'm no expert on the time periods listed, but I do have a basic understanding of the time frame and I would expect a potential RP partner to possess at least that. As mentioned in the title I'm possibly hoping the RP to span several generations, but it doesn't have to.

Now, I'm sure those with a keen eye will notice I included fantasy despite wanting realism. This is because I plan to include airships. But they'll be very rare and rely on the ancient dragon eggs that have been turned to stone through the ages. These dragon eggs though will enable ships to fly. This is about the only fantastical element I aim to include.

So now the back drop:

In 1602 two moderately well off families lived in Bridlington. These two families were the House of Hail and the House of Thorne. They were both trading companies that operated as opposition to one another particularly during the War of the Roses. Their rivalry with each other continued even up until 1602 as they fought a series of campaigns against each other for control over commercial trading routes. They both regularly recruited mercenaries to participate in these wars that exhausted the funds of both companies to the point where both were in danger of going under in 1602. Sensing their inevitable collapse, the sides agreed to a truce and decided on consolidating their companies and the two leading families joined together to become the House of Hailthorn.

The first to bear the surname Hailthorn was Broderick the Uncanny. He was born in 1603 and gained control of the Hailthorn Company in 1625 upon the passing of his father. A very astute leader, Broderick realized that their company was still floundering, so he outfitted their ships with cannons and launched attacks on Spanish trading ships. Broderick was very successful in these endeavors and brought wealth to the English crown.

Broderick used these funds to bribe Charles I who was desperate for funds after being denied the right to collect customs by Parliament. This was how they got their second ship. Broderick had it painted black and it was called the Nightstalker. Unfortunately for Broderick, he was not long for the world as he was slain on the very night they celebrated the victory.

His 18 year old son would then ascend to leading the company...
----------------------

And I'm going to stop there. Now as I mentioned before the backdrop, I do not pretend to be an expert in history. Especially English history given the fact that I'm an American, but I felt it would be a very fun time period to do an RP in. And you don't have to be an expert either. And we don't exactly have to adhere strictly to historical events. Just that everything that happened before 1602 is fixed. Everything afterward is more fluid.

So there are two potential starting points for our RP:

1. We could detail Broderick's attacks on Spanish trade ships and his endeavors on that front.

or

2. We could begin with his son taking over the trading company. This would be when the dragon eggs would become pertinent and the first airship would be created.

If you're interested at all please feel free to PM me and we can discuss more there. Until then, au revoir.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace