All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A small town mystery
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 12:32 am 

Sort of back.

Medals: 16
Longest RP (1) Completed RP (2)
Dedicated Partner (1) Most Patient (3)
Blog: View Blog (59)

Okay, the idea is simple… Sort of. I will only provide the name of the town the characters are in - a fictional small town somewhere in England - and a focal point - the suspicious death of one of the most prominent, though not one of the most loved, members of the community.

I won’t be taking character sheets, you will be introducing your characters in game, and building relations with the deceased (who will still be alive when the story begins) and amongst themselves as the story goes. I will ask that you provide only the name and a picture of your character at a post in the OOC (more details will be placed there), and this post will be edited as the story progresses and the characters grow.

So, that’s it. I am looking for 3 to 6 people, with availability to post at least every five days, and patience to wait on other posters, since sometimes real life does get busy.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
 Post subject: Re: A small town mystery
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 2:56 am 

Blog: View Blog (1)

I'm interested. Just to make sure, will we being trying to figure out what happened?

Off through the woods I go, to see my sister Snow White. My red cloak flows behind me, bright splash of color among a background of dark green and black. Let the Wolf find me, I'll invite him along, hoping that maybe we can eventually be. This I promise because my life is no fairy tale.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 5:13 am 

Sort of back.

We would actually be building what happened. With motives, means, opportunity, until the story leads to a point where it becomes clear who did it.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:58 pm 

Blog: View Blog (1)

Sounds awesome!

Off through the woods I go, to see my sister Snow White. My red cloak flows behind me, bright splash of color among a background of dark green and black. Let the Wolf find me, I'll invite him along, hoping that maybe we can eventually be. This I promise because my life is no fairy tale.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 9:35 pm 

Sort of back.

I'll let this stay around for a while, who knows.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 4:09 pm 

Blog: View Blog (0)

I'm interested, Shadow Lady.

I do have a few questions, though. For one thing, I've never been to England, and I'm sure my cultural stereotypes are nowhere near accurate. Is it a must that our characters be intimately familiar with English cultural mores and customs? Or could I introduce a character that is a foreigner, and who might not have full understanding of the culture? (Like, say... a Southern Texan, for example? :3)

Also, I have a few questions with respect to the person who is eventually going to die. I imagine no one is going to want to deliberately play a character who is a violent sociopath, and I'm pretty sure that most of us are going to want to play a character that is, in some sense, at least likeable. The thing is, likeable character's aren't necessarily the kind that go around killing people for trivial reasons.

Thus, is the soon to be deceased character going to be an NPC, and if so, will we all have access to his/her eccentricities and/or actions? It might be a lot easier if everyone had control over this person, so that we each could build our own motives without having to rely on someone else explicitly playing an unlikeable character.

Also, thank you for your wonderful welcome, Shadow. If this moves forward, then I'll post my character's name and appearance in accordance with your instructions. :D

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 4:27 pm 

Sort of back.

Hey, there, Peter.

Question-answering time.

I have never been to England either, which is why I decided to work with a fictional town. The country references I have (Brazil) would probably be just as foreign for everyone, so I decided to create a reference that would be foreign for us all (a place that doesn't exist).

Our characters, for this story to work, would need to be either locals or live in the town for a long time, long enough to know the town inside and out, so it's easier for me to just place them as locals.

The soon-to-be dead would indeed be an NPC, and one that provides plenty of motives to be murdered. So, whoever the person who did this was, they would have a valid enough reason not to be considered as 'killing for no reason'.

As for everyone having control over him, it would sort of defeat the purpose of a mystery, I believe, as everyone would end up knowing at least a part about him, and we would either know it all, or would run the risk of contradicting each other. Though in case this actually happens, more details can be discussed among the involved writers.

And you're welcome! Should you need anything, just shout!

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 9:35 pm 

Ah! Ok, so this makes things a lot clearer, then. So, I'm guessing that we don't actually have to be all super correct with english culture then, but that stereotypes can creep in if we need them to.

Hmm...

I'm not sure. I know that I wanted to get into an RP as soon as possible, but my gut is telling me to err on the side of caution. I think I'll wait a bit and think it over. I'm not sure exactly how this will go, but I'll keep this RP in mind, Shadow Lady. :D

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 9:47 pm 

Sort of back.

It's all right, I usually keep initial interest checks somewhat vague and flesh them out in further detail in case it becomes clear the roleplay will actually happen.
And I hope to see you roleplaying around soon! If this one takes off, I will be sure to check out with you for interest! =)

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 9:48 pm 

Thank you very much, Shadow Lady! I'll definitely be keeping this in mind! :D