All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: AU Marvel Interest Check
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:26 am 

Blog: View Blog (0)

Sooooo...

Anyone craving an AU Marvel RP?

One thing: no DC/Marvel cross-overs. I hate those. Seriously. >.< However, for humor, Detective Comics will exist as background; the character I'm thinking of is a huge fan of the Flash and dresses up as a female version of him every year for Halloween - or at least, she did until she gained her spider-powers. I'll explain that shortly.

First, there's a TLDR version at the bottom for those of you who aren't into details. There's a strong possibility you'll have to at least skim what's between this and that to get an idea of what's going on but at least the TLDR version will give you a basic idea of what I'm looking for.

We can do this one of two ways. One: this would be a next-generation Marvel RP. Think May Parker, daughter of Peter and Mary Jane Parker, for example. We could also skip ahead a generation of her, if you like, and go for the Anya Corazon era. At least, that's how it's chronologically playing out in my mind; I'm probably wrong. Honestly...I'm a huge Spidey fan but haven't picked up the last several series of comix. 'cause money.

Don't judge me. >_>

SO ANYWAY.

The characters here will either be canon or original, depending on who you wanna join with. May Parker would definitely be an option, as would any children of canon couples. Or, if you have a fandom couple you wanna be the kid of and can explain it logically, by all means - go right ahead. We can do canons or we can do originals, or we can do both. We can even alter canons for an AU - which is the idea I had in mind to begin with.

I also really like the idea of using this page as a historical basis for the RP timeline even if Carol Danvers isn't so much as referenced in the RP; her history spans a large portion of the major events in the Marvel universe, making it a good centre pointe for the general timeline. In that case, the story would be mostly canon but with AU elements, such as the introduction of originals or some other plot that intersects with canon storylines.

The main idea I had was the introduction of a mysterious Spider-Woman. In this RP, Gwen Stacy is dead; she's not a superheroine of any sort, wasn't resurrected, isn't a clone, et cetera - she's a corpse and has been for a good long while. Whether MJ has come into the picture...that's another matter entirely that we can discuss. Or we don't have to focus on the Spider-Verse at all, in which case my character idea would fill the role of Spider-Man/Woman/Girl/whatever (Jessica Drew is a completely separate character; I'm not counting her among those monikers - she can be played or not, up to the joiners, if any).

The reason I bring Gwen Stacy up is her costume when she was Spider-Woman in the comics. That costume would be the one worn by my Spider-Woman. However, my Spider-Woman would be a little different from others. Her story is as follows.

Cheryl Blaine grew up doing gymnastics and ballet. Unbeknownst to her and her parents, her mutation manifested when she was thirteen. Her mutant ability is that her body does not retain anything that does not improve it. So for example, she could eat nothing but red meat and retain the protein, making herself strong and healthy, but never suffer the ill effects that people supposedly suffer later in life from eating too much red meat. When she was fifteen, an odd thing happened. It wasn't really anything out of the ordinary - typical high school bull **** - but what resulted was a truly life-changing experience.

When Cheryl was fifteen, a jock at her school - let's say Midtown High for the sake of argument - set his sights on "conquering" her (you know how high school boys are, especially jocks). Well, he just happened to be the school's star quarterback and loved/lusted after by pretty much every cheerleader in the school. The cheerleaders were mortified and angered that he chose a relatively unpopular loner - basically a nobody - over them. But when Cheryl told him to **** off because she wasn't going to sleep with him - in front of everybody - the cheerleaders seemed to be of the belief that she thought he wasn't good enough for her. So they chased her, intending to beat her up for such an insult. She ended up running into an empty lot and falling through some rotten wood.

It turned out that a house used to be on the lot but it had been torn down years ago; however, the underground cellar - boarded up though it was - remained. It was into this she had fallen. She was only sore - not seriously hurt - but in seconds, she was literally covered in huge spiders. Thousands of them swarmed her, and their combined venom knocked her out. These spiders weren't normal, however; their venom was designed to attach itself to the victim's blood cells, thereby combining the spiders' DNA with that of their prey. In so doing, the venom worked extremely quickly and there was no antidote for it. But because of Cheryl's as-yet-undiscovered mutation, the harmful effects of the venom didn't kill her. Instead, her body retained the DNA of the spiders. Her confused body soon adapted, rewriting her DNA to give her incredible new powers. However, she retained her mutation via the x-gene that was a part of her basic genetic code.

Whether she's still a mutant, now a mutate, or both is a philosophical question I'll let you decide the answer to.

One theory I had is that these spiders are extraterrestrial in nature and their intelligence is superior to that of Earth-based humans. They worked together to drag Cheryl back to the surface, where she was found hours later, thinking she was dead. The spiders, despite their intelligence, couldn't have known about her mutated DNA and the spiders would be her personal mystery, thus keeping her story aligned with the typical Spider-Man-ish plot devices. She would be in a coma for four days and then would awaken and slowly begin to discover her new-found abilities. Very long story short, she would eventually design a costume and become Spider-Woman.

But that's just my idea (and please, please, PLEASE do not steal it - I worked long and hard on coming up with that in my head). Other canons, au canons, and/or originals could be brought in, as I said. Now, origin story/ies aside, we could set this in NYC or we could come up with a plot in Madripor or some other Marvel location.

TLDR:
I don't have set plot in mind but I'd like to do an AU Marvel RP using an original character I've invented but haven't developed beyond an origin story. My character would be an AU Spider-Woman wearing the Gwen Stacy Spider-Woman costume but her powers and origin story would be unique, as would the character herself, because this would be an OC. You can bring in canons, OCs, or AU canons and we can decide upon a location and plot; NYC is the default location but that assumes we don't come up with a location we like better for this. Let's bounce ideas off of one another, shall we? =D

I Play
R=Romance, TG=Transgender; first letter indicates my preference.
It is extremely rare that I will play a canon; my preference is for OCs.
Note that romance must be part of a story, not the story as a whole.

M/M, M/M/R, F/F, F/F/R, M/F, F/M
TGM/M, TGM/M/R, TGM/TGM, TGM/TGM/R, TGM/F

I Write
(G)=Genre, M=Mythology
HP, HP/AU, Modern Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Star Trek, Star Wars, Supernatural (G), X-Men, X-Men/AU
Egyptian/M, Greek/M, Chinese/M, Japanese/M, Norse/M

I am so tired of people telling me that tragedy is cliché and that I need to come up with a happy history for my characters. Tragedy is exactly what the word implies. However, what is born of tragedy can be beautiful; emotional; powerful; meaningful; and necessary for the development of a well-built character that’s deeper than a name, a face, a set of powers, and a utility belt. Tragedy in itself is not a story or a character; a story that includes tragedy, however, can be a character so epic that your ancestors rise from their graves to weep, to cheer, or to forever cry out to the heavens and curse those that would stand against xir.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:10 am 

PLaying SQUAD with TASQ

Medals: 6
Longest RP (1) 1st Year (1)
2nd Year (1) Most Helpful Member (1)
Blog: View Blog (8)

I am interested Indomitable Monolith. Since I haven't looked at a comic since the 1970s, I'll stick to an original character. Sure, I've seen the movie, but that isn't what this is about.

ImageImage

My Characters
My Writing Styles
Galileo Corporation
Modern Wargaming Rules
Bakushima; Fantasy Feudal Japan

Best Days for RPing
Fri - Sun

Attitude | +
"The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude to me is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than success, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, gift, or skill. It will make or break a company...a church...a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past...we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10 percent what happens to me and 90 percent how I react to it. And so it is with you... we are in charge of our attitudes. "
~ Charles Swindoll

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:04 pm 

Nope. And film stuff could totally be brought in but yeah, this is mainly comics-derived. Space for 2 more people, if anyone's interested. =D

I Play

I Write
(G)=Genre, M=Mythology
HP, HP/AU, Modern Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Star Trek, Star Wars, Supernatural (G), X-Men, X-Men/AU

I am so tired of people telling me that tragedy is cliché and that I need to come up with a happy history for my characters. Tragedy is exactly what the word implies. However, what is born of tragedy can be beautiful; emotional; powerful; meaningful; and necessary for the development of a well-built character that’s deeper than a name, a face, a set of powers, and a utility belt. Tragedy in itself is not a story or a character; a story that includes tragedy, however, can be a character so epic that your ancestors rise from their graves to weep, to cheer, or to forever cry out to the heavens and curse those that would stand against xir.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:36 pm 

The Happy RP salesman

Location: This is not the location you are looking for. Move along!
GM of the Month (1) Completed RP (1)
Dedicated Partner (1) 1st Year (1)

So if I have the Marvel Encyclopedia (which I do) but I don't own a lot of the comics, (granted I know most of what goes on due to the encyclopedia's overlapping character stories) would you still allow me to join this? I read a lot of the May Parker spidergirl comics when I was in highschool, and I know the spiderverse down to the origins of Kwaku Anansi and Ezekiel's "Helping" Spiderman. However, since I don't OWN any of the comics, I may get canon stuff wrong from time to time. I imagine since this is AU then you don't plan to use a canon storyline, though.

I am interested, but thought I'd give fair warning just in case.

Shoulder Demon: (Looking at controls of train) "Let's see how many times we can wreck this thing before we're all dead."

Shoulder Angel: "Are you crazy?!?!?! you'll get us all killed!!!!!!"

Shoulder Demon: "That's the idea, Moron!"

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:23 pm 

Location: Second star to the right and strait on 'till morning!
Medals: 1
Supporter (1)
Blog: View Blog (1)

I could throw in a few OC's, and might even have an easy origin story for anyone else's OC. Don't wanna take it over, but I do have a character I've designed to work in the Marvel universe. I'd be up for this.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:24 pm 

Supporter (1)

Oh, and the "this page" link requires an access key of some kind. Just FYI

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:34 pm 

PLaying SQUAD with TASQ

Longest RP (1) 1st Year (1)
2nd Year (1) Most Helpful Member (1)
Blog: View Blog (8)

Indomitable Monolith wrote:
I also really like the idea of using this page as a historical basis for the RP timeline...

The link referenced above is no good for me. I cannot see it. It says that is a Private page and unavailable to me.

ImageImage

My Characters
My Writing Styles
Galileo Corporation
Modern Wargaming Rules
Bakushima; Fantasy Feudal Japan

Best Days for RPing
Fri - Sun

Attitude | +
"The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude to me is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than success, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, gift, or skill. It will make or break a company...a church...a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past...we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10 percent what happens to me and 90 percent how I react to it. And so it is with you... we are in charge of our attitudes. "
~ Charles Swindoll

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:58 pm 

D'oh! Pffffffft. Indom, you dumbass. Sorry. Here you go. >.<

Anyway, yeah, that's fine. And now that we have four people, this is closed. =D I'll get an OOC thread up after lunch and link it here. ^_^ Welcome to da partay! =D

I Play

I Write
(G)=Genre, M=Mythology

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:12 pm 

Supporter (1)

You might want to link the OOC to this page. I can't, I'm on an app.

Sent from Castle Shadow-hold using Tapatalk