Post subject: Fallout: Phantoms
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:40 am 

Medals: 6
Best Couple (1) Dedicated Partner (1)
Supporter (3) Contest Winner (1)
Blog: View Blog (6)

Fallout: Phantoms

Warning: Potential Fallout New Vegas and Fallout 3 Spoilers

By the year 2077, the United States, the Soviet Union, and China remained as the three super powers of the world. After over a century of events leading up to great tension, most of which coming from World War II, The Great War took place. Out of the three major powers, and the many minors, it would never be known by anybody who fired their nuclear weapons first. However, what was certain, was that the way people had seen life for the past multiple centuries was about to change. Recent developments in science and technology would soon mean next to nothing. The only meaningful technology to survive the war was medical knowledge and military technology, including stimpacks which would work wonders on wounds and disease. Radiation medicine, a consumer could literally overcome radiation poisoning with RadAway. Laser weapons and power armor. Artificial intelligence survived in robots and terminals, though the world was never anything but a shadow of its former glory.

Much more than just the majority of the population was wiped out in this war. Vault-Tec had been creating vaults decades before the Great War began mainly as an attraction for cash. The basis was that a person would pay so much, and they would be reserved a place in the vault if nuclear war ever did break out. After 2077, these vaults sealed, and were precious safe havens to the humans that inhabited them. There was clean water, a constant source of food, a governed society, and most importantly; safety. Though for how long, began to become a question for many of these vaults. Many vaults lasted about two centuries until something made them either open up their doors to venture the outside in hundreds of years, or killed them before they could ever see the light of the sun. Very commonly, water purification systems would malfunction or reactors would break down. But for generations, these vaults provided bliss minus the sun for any lucky vault dwellers.

In the outside world, life didn't die. The humans that survived were lucky enough to have found capable shelter but remained in the outside world still. Subways, caves, and tunnels became safe havens where men and women wouldn't flood with radiation. The first century was the hardest for mankind, when radiation existed nearly everywhere on the surface, and to step on it without proper gear and medicine was a death sentence, whether it be from radiation poisoning or other means. Over time, the earth man once walked on became able to be walked on once more. Though so many places were still clearly radiated, when man could step on soil once more, it was a new age. And sadly, once a new age began, it was practically a new war. And war, war never changes.

While man was hiding, those who did survive on the soil were the farthest from their former selves. Super Mutants were born, and some humans even became living carriers of radiation. These beings were called Ghouls, radiation had no effect on them at all, though their sickly and torn skin was a clear sign as to who they were. Geckos became over-sized and could stand on two legs. Cows grew two heads instead of one and were called brahmin. Deathclaws came to exist. And although all this new inhumane terror existed when man stepped back on Earth, it wasn't long before they began shooting at each-other instead of the savages that walked the wasteland.

In time, groups like the New California Republic, the Brothers of Steel, the Enclave, Caesar's Legion, and other groups that took on in smaller numbers would form. Wars began between groups, the Brothers of Steel and the NCR went to war with the Enclave, destroying the entirety of their forces. The NCR and the BoS would go to war later in the west, and the near entirety of the BoS's western presence would be destroyed before they made peace with the NCR. However, in the end, the NCR wished to keep Hoover Dam and New Vegas to itself. It was determined by someone though, that the Mojave would be independent, and because of this, Caesar's legion was disbanded. However, other armies still exist out there, whether they be ten men or a thousand. These events occurred in 2281.

By 2285, the wasteland formerly known as the United States hasn't gotten much better. Towns continue to survive, but generally in small communities. Many major cities, especially New York City, remain phantoms of what they once were. People continue to try and figure out pre-war technology for what it's useful for, but as always, the wasteland is a very dangerous place. You never know when a mutated creature is going to stalk you or when someone is going to but a bullet in your back. Most people prefer to stick around in safety, but of course, with active war forces, it's rare for anyone to feel safe. In a world where life is hard and death is easy, how will you live?

---------------------------

Hello to anyone interested, and I appreciate the read! Unless you didn't read, however that's basically a miniature synopsis of the story so far and what this roleplay would lead into. If you've played the Fallout series, the above isn't exactly necessary, except for the fact that Caesar's Legion was disbanded while New Vegas was raised as an independent city. This is the canon I've decided to go for within the roleplay as a war between the BoS and NCR could allow for potential character opportunity.

Knowledge to the universe isn't necessary, but probably would be nice to have, as I'm sure the occasional slip of lore will happen. The most interesting thing about this universe will more than likely be the characters, as Fallout has always been a single player experience and scripted in a somewhat predictable manor. However, in this world, gameplay mechanics aren't what we're limited to, and therefore, the possibilities are endless. So what kind of wanderer will you control? Someone who knows how to use pre-war technology? Or maybe someone that scavenges old guns and bullets. Maybe your character doesn't use weapons at all, but talks their way out of everything? Or maybe they sneak around, only needing their hands. Maybe they just finished a tour with the NCR, or survived the cleansing of the Enclave. Or maybe they're a courier, or a settler living comfortably for now.

The general species for the characters will be human, but I'll leave their backstory and who they are entirely up to the person of course. If you however, wanted to have a follower, followers, or wanted to play a different species, just send me a PM so I can okay it. As seen in Fallout 3, there was a Super Mutant willing to help a human once. And there are very many ghouls who aren't feral.

As for the Soviet Union not having disbanded, that surprisingly is Fallout canon, and therefore I placed it in the mini-synopsis. Thanks again for the read, and when enough interest is peaked, I'll place the OOC up.

Last edited by Your Private Dancer on Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
 Post subject: Re: Fallout: Phantoms
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:59 pm 

Crossing my fingers to see some familiar faces here soon

Medals: 2
Best Couple (1) 2nd Year (1)
Blog: View Blog (1)

How have you not gotten any hits on this yet? I will most definitely join in on this as I am an extreme fallout player! I have been wondering where all the fallout fans have been these days.

"Don't Lose That 'Little Spark of Madness' "-Personality Test Website.
And you thought I did not fit in here. =)

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:23 pm 

Only just posted it this morning. But I did have a few people say they might be into it before I started typing, so I'll have a few people to talk to tonight. But you're certainly in Marco.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:30 am 
Subscriber

Medals: 4
1st Year (1) Supporter (3)

Well, hell. Sign me up! I am SO in!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:55 am 

Medals: 7
Best Death (1) Funniest Member (1)
2nd Year (1) Most Dedicated (1)
Blog: View Blog (0)

I am in sir

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:06 am 

Of course, the both of you are approved without a second thought! I'll have the OOC up today or tomorrow. I'll wait to see if I can't recruit another person or so before I make the intro post.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:27 pm 

Well, I am excited for this.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:17 pm 

OOC is up! Thanks for the patience guys, it's REALLY appreciated!

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=42647

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:58 am 

No problem man.