All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dragon Age RP
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:25 pm 

Contemplating existence

Medals: 3
1st Year (1) 2nd Year (1)
3rd Year (1)
Blog: View Blog (0)

Hey guys! So, I've been curious on trying an alternate take on the Dragon Age universe.

The idea: This will follow the story of the first game, Dragon Age: Origins, except that all those character the Warden runs into are going to be scrapped by our own original characters! We'd all start off in the aftermath of the Battle of Ostagar, some of the last few survivors, and then set off to try and gather another army to be able to take on the Blight.

For those who might not be too familiar with the game or the lore, its basic premise is that there are entities known as Old Gods which were corrupted by dark magic long ago. Since then, one of these Old Gods awakens every so often(usually takes hundreds of years in between these events, sometimes longer) and begins what is known as a Blight. A Blight means all these zombie-like men come out from the ground and begin attacking and consuming everything in sight. They have toxic blood which will turn you into one of them if you ingest it in any way, and they're toxic to the land, effectively making even plant life die out when they march through it. These things are called darkspawn, and they're intelligent enough to fight as an army and use weapons.

To end a blight, a Grey Warden has to land a killing blow on the awakened Old God(known as an archdemon at this point). Grey Wardens are an order of soldiers meant to combat darkspawn and the blight. They ingest a potion made of darskpawn blood, and if they survive it, they become sensitive to the presence of other darkspawn because they have some of the same taint. It also means they can kill the archdemon, as the soul of the Old God would just take the nearest darskpawn body over if it's killed, but when it's a Grey Warden that kills it, the soul goes into the Grey Warden and kills both the archdemon and the Warden.

And so, in this roleplay, a Blight has just started but hasn't gained momentum. The Battle of Ostagar was supposed to strike a crippling blow to the gathering darkspawn army so that it wouldn't ravage the land as Blights prior had, but half the army deserted through a traitor general's orders and the remaining soldiers were slaughtered.

The world, more generally, is a pretty typical fantasy setting. There are humans, elves, and dwarves. Dwarves reside underground, though some have been exiled to the surface. Humans are just humans, pretty typical. Elves are separated into two groups: city elves, who usually live in slums and are treated as secondhand citizens, and the Dalish, who are nomadic tribes that stick to forests and mountains and have retained their(very extensive) lore of old. There are also certain people who can wield magic, known as mages. Dwarves have no affinity to magic so they can't be mages, though they're the most resistant to lyrium, which is the world's main source of magical power and grows in crystals underground. Mages that follow the law are taken to the Circle of Magi, a school for them, where they learn to use magic in accordance to the Chantry(basically the church). There are those who feel this is akin to imprisonment, however, as mages are not allowed to leave the Tower apart from those who rise through the ranks and are allowed to leave on some assignment or other. Those who never go to the Circle are fugitives known as apostates.

So yeah, if anyoe is interested, let me know!

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
 Post subject: Re: Dragon Age RP
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:39 pm 

Medals: 1
1st Year (1)

Yes?! Dragon Age is my favourite game (well, after Mass Effect XD)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:35 pm 

Contemplating existence

Medals: 3
1st Year (1) 2nd Year (1)
3rd Year (1)

I suspected as much :P

Hopefully we can get a few more people interested! If not then you can be my Alistair-esque buddy haha

View Likes PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:48 am 

Medals: 1
1st Year (1)

Haha, or Zevran-esque. Everyone loves that Antivan Crow. XD