All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Persona RP, anyone?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:35 pm 

By the power of Grayskull!!

Blog: View Blog (0)

I'm a huge nerd for ATLUS' RPGs. Well, I like to say I am. I haven't gotten into Shin Megami Tensei yet, but I've been meaning to try one of the SMT games (probably Digital Devil Saga) for some time now. I've been an Etrian Odyssey fan since I played a demo for Untold on 3DS, and it basically acted as my gateway to Persona through Persona Q.

For those of you unacquainted with the Persona series, the concept is simple enough. The series focuses on Japanese high school students who are faced with mysterious, often paranormal challenges - buildings transforming into labyrinths at midnight, people getting killed after being pushed into a TV world, rumors becoming reality, etc - and must overcome these hardships using the powers of a Persona, which is a physical embodiment of their psyche which takes the name of characters from mythology and literature and uses mysterious powers to fight alongside and defend the being it represents. Assisting them in mastering their abilities is Igor, the long-nosed master of the hub of Persona-users, the Velvet Room, which exists "between dream and reality, mind and matter."

The roleplay would follow the same basic formula as the Persona games' stories. The roleplayers' characters will (almost) all be students of a Japanese high school that find themselves confronted with mysterious and paranormal events. And, using the powers of their Personas with some minor assistance from Igor and other Velvet Room occupants, they will have to overcome hardships and solve these mysteries.

Of course, there will be some differences. For one, the "power of the wild card" - the ability to freely switch between Personas in battle - will not be exclusive to the protagonist. Either every character will have this distinction, or they'll all be stuck using their initial Personas. Of course, Personas will still be able to "evolve" into more powerful forms during climatic moments in their wielders' lives (death or loss of a close friend, recovering from a near-death injury, etc).

So, if you're interested in pursuing your true self (har har Persona 4 reference) and hopping into the adventure, then lemme know. But, uh, don't expect it to start up too soon - I'm still brainstorming some of the concepts for the story...

John Cena Theme MIDI. Because why not.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
 Post subject: Re: Persona RP, anyone?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:29 pm 

Natsucooldude wrote:
I somewhat support everyone having just one persone, mostly because I think everyone having everything is a bit... impersonal, (ha...ha)

Is there a facepalm emote? 'cause I really wanna facepalm right now.

Anyway, I'm trying to do some research. Sounds a bit like Bleach, though you referenced something else in the c-box (and my experience with Bleach is limited anyway). I might be interested in seeing this fleshed out a bit, though.

Hmmm...I like Alice. >_> Also Ganesha.

I Play
R=Romance, TG=Transgender; first letter indicates my preference.
It is extremely rare that I will play a canon; my preference is for OCs.
Note that romance must be part of a story, not the story as a whole.

M/M, M/M/R, F/F, F/F/R, M/F, F/M
TGM/M, TGM/M/R, TGM/TGM, TGM/TGM/R, TGM/F

I Write
(G)=Genre, M=Mythology
HP, HP/AU, Modern Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Star Trek, Star Wars, Supernatural (G), X-Men, X-Men/AU
Egyptian/M, Greek/M, Chinese/M, Japanese/M, Norse/M

I am so tired of people telling me that tragedy is cliché and that I need to come up with a happy history for my characters. Tragedy is exactly what the word implies. However, what is born of tragedy can be beautiful; emotional; powerful; meaningful; and necessary for the development of a well-built character that’s deeper than a name, a face, a set of powers, and a utility belt. Tragedy in itself is not a story or a character; a story that includes tragedy, however, can be a character so epic that your ancestors rise from their graves to weep, to cheer, or to forever cry out to the heavens and curse those that would stand against xir.

Last edited by Indomitable Monolith on Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:43 pm 

looking for active people

Medals: 4
Most Patient (1) 1st Year (1)
2nd Year (1) 3rd Year (1)

I want to join ^^
finally picked an arcana too (justice if you don't mind that is)
before the rp starts I may have time to read up a bit on persona (which I never really encountered before XD)
going to subscribe to this thread too so that I won't miss anything ^^

Reply time: max. 1-2 weeks. Please send me a reminder (pm, ping, chatroom) if my reply is overdue ^^

here is my Resume<-do read it for better understanding

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:49 pm 

@Natsucooldude: Same. I was almost certainly going to choose that one before, but now it's official - one Persona per character. Only way to change is to evolve.

@Indomitable Monolith: Yeah, they look pretty cool. I'd prefer it if the characters used... well, not necessarily Personas that haven't already existed, but if the Personas they use looked and acted a bit different from those Personas, that'd be swell. But that's just me being a dingus - so long as it fits into the world of Persona, I'm cool with whatever. (And you'd be surprised at what fits into the world of Persona... >___>")

@Chemical Lady: Welcome aboard! I'm actually pleasantly surprised that you already have an Arcana for your character picked out - I was considering asking people to build their characters around an Arcana if it wasn't too much trouble for them.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:32 am 

@monstermanchego I was talking about it with natsu in chat and we may have gone a little overboard XD that is why
btw you can ping people with a space in their name by wrapping the name in " so @"name with space" ^^

Reply time: max. 1-2 weeks. Please send me a reminder (pm, ping, chatroom) if my reply is overdue ^^

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:41 am 

Yeah, I already got a PM from one of the mods explaining how to do it, but thank you regardless.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:05 am 

I am looking forward to this rp
and I hope that I won't disappoint you and your idea ^^

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:11 pm 

@Chemical Lady @Indomitable Monolith @Natsucooldude

The OOC is up!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:49 am 

I'm still not entirely sure how this works. All I know is people use the spirits of dead folks to fight.

I Play
R=Romance, TG=Transgender; first letter indicates my preference.
It is extremely rare that I will play a canon; my preference is for OCs.
Note that romance must be part of a story, not the story as a whole.

M/M, M/M/R, F/F, F/F/R, M/F, F/M
TGM/M, TGM/M/R, TGM/TGM, TGM/TGM/R, TGM/F

I Write
(G)=Genre, M=Mythology
HP, HP/AU, Modern Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Star Trek, Star Wars, Supernatural (G), X-Men, X-Men/AU
Egyptian/M, Greek/M, Chinese/M, Japanese/M, Norse/M

I am so tired of people telling me that tragedy is cliché and that I need to come up with a happy history for my characters. Tragedy is exactly what the word implies. However, what is born of tragedy can be beautiful; emotional; powerful; meaningful; and necessary for the development of a well-built character that’s deeper than a name, a face, a set of powers, and a utility belt. Tragedy in itself is not a story or a character; a story that includes tragedy, however, can be a character so epic that your ancestors rise from their graves to weep, to cheer, or to forever cry out to the heavens and curse those that would stand against xir.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:42 am 

The "spirits of dead folks" are more similar to "physical embodiment of their personalities," really. They just happen to have the names of characters from literature and mythology.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:53 am 

Just....yes. Yes.

I love you.

Joining.

Might be dragging in the hubby. Give me a day or two. omg yes.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:57 am 

I have a deep regard for you as well, Mr Peabody. !blush