All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:56 am 

Blog: View Blog (0)

Discord

It was a simple name - 'Discord', the moniker given to a constantly evolving, multidimensional well of constant change. No one knows where the genesis of Discord began, but its existence goes without question, because people have seen it. They continue to see it. Perhaps a level of consciousness inconceivable by any mortals(even those who think themselves higher, such as any random number of errant godlings and demons alike), Discord developed a will of its own, and soon enough, it began to call out. But to whom? Those whom knew the din of battle. Whom had, for one reason or another claimed a life. And sure enough, Majesty demanded blood, but not for free. For he or she who emerged from its limitless pocket dimensions and quasi-real realms as the lone survivor of the bloodshed was offered renown and power the world over would envy. And again, it demanded blood. It demands again for a king to be crowned.

Forward

Hello Creative Freedom, and welcome to the Discord Tournament's recruiting and information thread.

To begin, I'll start by explaining why exactly I'm doing this, and it is a rather simple compulsion that drove me - I like fighting. Almost everything about it. It's a sport I have enjoyed since my time starting this game we all love to play called rp. However, as time staggered on, combat died out in several places, and my still-burning drive and love guided me here, where I hope to continue it in a new generation of able combatants. It should be noted that while I am the facilitator of this tourney, I will also be participating, but third party judges aside from myself will also be here.

Below are the rules, and for those who intend on following them, I can promise you, at the very least a good learning experience, if not all-out fun.

Judges: Law, (others coming shortly)

DA RULES

Rule 1: No Godmod. No metagaming, reality bending, character control, invulnerability, lightspeed, autohit, etc. etc. etc.

Rule 2: No use of OP character abilities. This is subjective and will be determined on a case by case basis. In general if you are leveling entire city blocks in the blink of an eye without issue or tanking massive amounts of damage with no actual consequences.

Rule 3: The official term I am using to define the power standard for this tournament is 'Medium-high'. What does that mean? Not much if you have a vivid imagination, but for those who like specifics, it essentially means all of those things that are common and/or allowed in mild powers environments(magic, sci-fi themes, psionics, chi, etc.) are still allowed, with a slight expansion on the concepts and abilities surrounding characters. It essentially means, we are a step above Mild Powers without getting into Powered Characters waters where breaking reality and collapsing dimensions is commonplace. Under this law, more abstract, or powerful concepts are allowed, but not to a level that completely removes fairness or tact from the situation. I leave this primarily up to the readers imagination, but specifics can be asked for. Of course if you think a character pushes the limit on even this, it is perfectly reasonable that you get a judge.

Rule 4: Posting time limit is 3 days, and failure to post within that limit will be treated as a forfeit. You should also inform your opponent upon posting a reply so they can post in a timely manner. Exceptions and extensions can be made from outstanding circumstances however this should not be abused.

Rule 5: No numerical speeds or other numeric values aside from physical constants. For clarity this means quantity, size, and area of effect or other such things can be detailed. This rule is in place to prevent escalation of values which causes arguments an the prevention of fun, fair play.

Rule 6: No teleporting. If you or a force under your control does not go from point A to point B without traveling the distance between in its entirety in a speed that is not considered OP then its counted under this rule. Exceptions can be made for the purpose of summoning weapons/allies/etc.

Rule 7: No bunnying. You are allowed one attack per turn, and that is all. Actions that transpire as a result of that attack are, of course, perfectly fine, and your one attack may consist of multiple offensive actions so long as they do not cause a "barraging" effect like seen in a chain of separate attacks. This is to prevent continuity breaks that lead to confusion when a chain of actions is interrupted.

Rule 8: No retro-active prevention of your opponent's actions via your own AKA no time-lining. As long as your opponent's sum totaled actions take place in a time-frame that is not obviously stretched beyond the normal capacity of a fight post you may not 'interrupt' them in your own post in a way that would cause them not to happen. In short, unless your opponent does so much stuff (in sequence, not simultaneously) in a time-frame that there is no feasible way your character could not(and should not) stop them don't even try. [Example, monologue-ing, incredibly extensive prep, repeatedly relocating acting then relocating, and extensive exposition.]

Rule 9: Player derived NPC limit at . NPC are treated as full characters in regards to being hit and receiving damage but their power must be relative to the controllers character in terms of balance to be treated as full characters for this purpose, otherwise they may be autohit and damage assigned as if they were environmental NPC. This will be discussed and agreed upon when relevant.

Rule 10: As this is a universal fantasy/sci-fi RP, science can be bent, but not to bullshit capacities. Any and all rp's function under the same laws and basic environmental principles as Earth. This means your setting can NOT be mandatorally detrimental to anything that could survive on earth in a non extreme environment.

Rule 11: Any information not on your character sheet at the time the match starts or not stated in your introduction post is completely invalidated, and cannot be used within the confines of the battle itself. You aren't allowed to make up abilities as you go along, don't even try. Being caught doing so will result in instant disqualification. This said, charactersheets are not enforced, but encouraged given some epeople do not keep detailed logs of character capabilities. If you are not using a charactersheet, you are required to inform your opponent of your characters capabilities prior to fighting, and of course, you are limited to using a single character throughout the bout.

Rule 12: Failure to comply with any rule, except those with an already defined consequence, will result in a repost. You are allowed TWO reposts, and thereafter an infringement results in a disqualification.

Rule 13: A judge has the right to dismiss any claims made should they find that the actual issue at hand does not in any real way affect the match itself. This applies both to inconsequential details that don't actually affect combat in any way being used as a point of contention AND cases where the involved action is being disputed due to an aesthetic process rather than its actual effects or outcomes which would be found to be perfectly acceptable if done by another process. In short Don't nitpick.

Rule 14: You not only reserve the right to have a post explained to you by your opponent in laymen's terms and to have any and all questions answered but may request a pause in the match room for until such concerns are addressed. Refusal to answer questions asked by an opponent about your post or abilities, within reason, will be treated as a forfeit. A judge has the right to waive this privilege if they find it to be used for the purposes of stalling, but only after initial questions have been addressed.

After Note: I am aware this seems like a lot, but many of these are rules that are commonplace in most tournaments to allow for fun, fair play, and were simply expounded on for clarity.

Note 2: This is, and I repeat, a moderate-high level power combat tournament. Keep that in mind while bringing/building your characters.

If you want to join the tournament, it's nothing but saying the word and/or the name of your character(along with a link to your sheet, though it isn't required). If you are not using a sheet, remember that you are required to inform your opponent of their capabilities in one way or another, and to stick to this sheet for the remainder of the event. If a judge should find you are changing information, it will be an auto-disqualification.

Last edited by Law on Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:23 pm 

Blog: View Blog (0)

Update: Power standard has been revised to accommodate Mild Powers, as opposed to Moderate-High.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace