All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:26 am 

Blog: View Blog (0)

One setting I haven't seen floating around is that of a Multiversal City- where all the meeting points of various fantastical settings intersect without having to be bound to exactly a specific mythos of how that Multiverse operated (or in otherwords, so everyone wasn't stuck to the established D&D Planescape setting, or any specific cosmology in general).

These threads operated as a kind of anything-goes mingling point for all the players' original characters- allowing them strange new experiences and everyone getting the chance to RP with one and other outside of the often rigid setting constraints that normally were in place.

It was always quite fun and popular back in the day, and it is something I find myself pining for again. If there are at least 3-4 others interested in this, great, that is enough to start in my book.

The Setting for the thread itself would likely be some type of Tavern/Beerhall/Social Club within said Multiversal High Fantasy city. If this gets bigger, I'll start making the setting bigger. I am not too big on telling people what their own character's story should be about before I write it (also known as plot) but I am big on giving people prompts when requested, interjecting strange circumstances, and requiring motivations to start with characters. There would be a few small housekeeping requirements as well, as this would run generally in a single long thread, and there are a few things we could do so that way people could just be joining in even if we get this thing up to a gigantic amount of pages, and also just to make the GM/MC/Storyteller's (yours truly) job easier in that regard.

Feel free to submit any questions or state your interest, and we can run with it from there. I'll update this post to include an FAQ if it gets to that point.

So yeah, just let me know. If we hit the mark on this, I'll get the OOC thread up quickly so people can start posting characters and we can get this ball rolling. =D

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:01 am 

I'm fairly interested. Now, do you mean like, any non-canonical OC's from established settings (Middle Earth-ers interacting with people from Azeroth etc.) or like OC's from original settings?

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:29 am 

PLaying SQUAD with TASQ

Medals: 6
Longest RP (1) 1st Year (1)
2nd Year (1) Most Helpful Member (1)
Blog: View Blog (8)

Would this be exclusively a fantasy setting or can we draw characters from Sci-Fi, Historical fiction or modern reality?

ImageImage

My Characters
My Writing Styles
Galileo Corporation
Modern Wargaming Rules
Bakushima; Fantasy Feudal Japan

Best Days for RPing
Fri - Sun

Attitude | +
"The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude to me is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than success, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, gift, or skill. It will make or break a company...a church...a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past...we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10 percent what happens to me and 90 percent how I react to it. And so it is with you... we are in charge of our attitudes. "
~ Charles Swindoll

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:02 am 

@KaptainSigil: Both to be honest. If it is an established fictional setting (Tolkien, Ringworld, Song of Ice and Fire, Chronicles of Amber, or anything else really) or an original setting that is fine. It was about getting to get people together who's setting otherwise would not let them play together.

With an established setting, the focus is still on original characters though. Canon characters can get rather messy, and anyone playing a beloved primary protagonist always tends to carry an "All about them" feel. You start to see problems like "Too Many Gokus", "Batman vs Superman", and "Epic Rap Battles of History".

@Gunther: Well, I suppose you could really. I know Powers/Mutants tend to do well, but the three you mentioned tend to have a bit of a hard time to be honest. Sci-fi not so much because Magitech settings tend to qualify so they can relate, but Historical and Modern, if from low/no power settings, tend to be at a serious disadvantage in terms of wrapping their minds around things or if player characters come to into a conflict from point of story. I personally would have no problem with it, but I would feel bad if people in the thread started feeling left out because they purposefully couldn't relate to the Wizards, ESPers, Supers, Elven Queens, Power-armored Space-pirates. Then again, well-played is well played, so I'd never discount the power of creativity, ingenuity, and skill. But I do hate to say "I told you so".

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:19 pm 

Location: Second star to the right and strait on 'till morning!
Medals: 1
Supporter (1)
Blog: View Blog (1)

I absolutely have a character for this. Planes walker from the Magic the Gathering universe tasked with exploring and documenting the multiverse. I'll be sure to not make him overpowered though.

Sent from Castle Shadow-hold using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:46 pm 

I have returned

This looks interesting, I'm think I'm going to make a character for this, probably one from a universe of my own creation.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:04 am 

Well, that is two confirmed from Jack and Jesse.

Kaptain, Gunther, should I count you both in as well?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:41 am 

You should indeed. I think I know my character concept, too. From an established canon.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:21 pm 

Most Punctual (1)

I'd love to if I can throw my hatchling dragon, Alleo into the mix :)

If i can, that's an interested from me!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:31 pm 

No problem at all Alecksin- the more the merrier is very much the idea.

I'll have an OOC up a bit later tonight where I will go over some specifics of the Social Club, the few required parts on any character sheets, and also just the little helpful tag I'd need people to add to posts, so that way I can keep track of things and make it easy for new people to keep joining the thread, and that in turn allow us to grow the setting. Expect another reply from me with a link as soon as I the OOC thread up. =D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:35 pm 

Supporter (1)

Not to rush you or anything... But the OOC?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:25 pm 

Completed RP (1)

My character is already a Traveler so that works perfectly.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:42 am 

Sorry folks, I had to have a quick stay at the hospital due to flu. All better now, thankfully. I'll have the OOC up tonight for you and update this post when I have it written.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:23 pm 

Supporter (1)

Ooo, that's no fun. I'm glad your feeling better now.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:11 pm 

I have returned

I concur, glad you are feeling better.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:47 am 

Most Punctual (1)

Good to see you are well :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:51 am 

I'm quite interested in this Idea, the problem is I haven't really made a character yet. I have an Idea but haven't posted it yet. How could I become part of this?

P.S. I'm new

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:32 am 

I have returned

Well, all you have to do is have Atlantes give you the ok and you could join. as for posting a character, this is only the interest check, so you don't have to yet. But once Atlantes makes the OOC that is where we will post our character sheets. Anything else you need help with?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:56 am 

Absolutely! could you give me a rundown of how the RP sessions get started.
How long does it normally take? (to start)
How often will I need to post?
Steps for starting one?

Stuff like that.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:02 am 

I have returned

I'll PM you all the knowledge I have gathered in my time here.