All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:11 am 
Subscriber

Medals: 4
1st Year (1) Supporter (3)
Blog: View Blog (1)

Thanks to a sojourn on another RP site that has now come to a close, I now have a working understanding of how to run a nation roleplay. I'm here to test the waters and see how people respond to the idea (kinda the point of an IntChk). I don't intend to dictate much about setting, since I was planning on letting other people get their own mark on the universe they'll be fighting over, whether militarily, diplomatically or economically.

Who wants in?

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:20 am 

PLaying SQUAD with TASQ

Medals: 6
Longest RP (1) 1st Year (1)
2nd Year (1) Most Helpful Member (1)
Blog: View Blog (8)

I love NRPs, but you should choose some sort of setting. Historical Fiction? Present day? Future/sci fi? Reality based? Fictional planet? Fantasy? I'm up for either one.

ImageImage

My Characters
My Writing Styles
Galileo Corporation
Modern Wargaming Rules
Bakushima; Fantasy Feudal Japan

Best Days for RPing
Fri - Sun

Attitude | +
"The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude to me is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than success, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, gift, or skill. It will make or break a company...a church...a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past...we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10 percent what happens to me and 90 percent how I react to it. And so it is with you... we are in charge of our attitudes. "
~ Charles Swindoll

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:56 am 
Subscriber

Well, the plan was to let the people who wanted to join pick the main genre and work from there. If I were to pick it would be futuristic sci fi, but I was of the opinion that people might want to have a say.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:19 pm 

Blog: View Blog (0)

how about a mixture. like some nations are based on sci-fi/future and some are based on fantasy. let the people pick for themselves.

Your killing me slow, but i ain't ready to die.

"Behind my mask...... Is another mask." - Kakashi Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:56 pm 
Subscriber

I would still like to have a unified genre though. I don't really want to see "Space Elves" in a sci fi NRP, just as I don't want "Fantasy Little-Green Men from Mars" in a fantasy setting. There is something to be said for the unified genre.

What I was after was people putting ideas forward for that. Should we play in a sci fi, fantasy, medieval, modern or post apocalyptic setting? Then we would create races within that and explore the universe.

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:04 pm 

PLaying SQUAD with TASQ

My suggestion is Science Fiction on a fictional planet of our design. Someone provides a map of this planet and the authors grab a plot of land to call home. The tech level is either 50 years in the future; all tech currently being developed/theorized is practically implemented in the Role Play. This way we aren't designing too many new weapons on overly speculative concepts. Or we choose a universe like Star Wars or Star Trek to borrow tech from. This way, a balance exists in the design concept.

If we assign a planetary government to each author, then we can create races inhabiting these fictional planets, but the notion of distance between planets, FTL speed and time to move between locations comes into play. Am I getting too much into the weeds too soon here?

ImageImage

My Characters
My Writing Styles
Galileo Corporation
Modern Wargaming Rules

Best Days for RPing
Fri - Sun

Attitude | +
"The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude to me is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than success, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, gift, or skill. It will make or break a company...a church...a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past...we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10 percent what happens to me and 90 percent how I react to it. And so it is with you... we are in charge of our attitudes. "
~ Charles Swindoll

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:18 am 

PLaying SQUAD with TASQ

You RP as the nation's executive, ambassadors, Sec of State/Minister of Foreign Affairs, Major businessmen, Military commanders at any and maybe all levels or just Joe in the streets. It is all up to you.

ImageImage

My Characters
My Writing Styles
Galileo Corporation
Modern Wargaming Rules

Best Days for RPing
Fri - Sun

Attitude | +
~ Charles Swindoll

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:39 pm 

I'd be interested in a Nation roleplay. I would prefer playing your own planetary government or space organization (I even had an old campaign setting written up with race ideas). But I'd be up for whatever.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:00 pm 

PLaying SQUAD with TASQ

How to build an Army is something I enjoy doing. I often times tend to put excruciating detail into building an army I may use for a nation Role Play. Some have asked me why I do this. Isn't it a waste of time? No one actually needs to know that level of detail, right? They are correct. It is unnecessary, but I enjoy it. For me, the detail that goes into an army is fun to construct. I'm not talking about simply choosing which weapons systems, my soldiers will employ, but also how they are organized, the rank structure, what ranks are in what positions and how they fall under the complete military chain of command.

I have been reading military history for 40 years and spent 21 years in combat boots. The closest I ever got to a combat zone was a peace keeping operation in the Balkans. The most deadly enemy I had to fight was boredom. But reading MilHist and drawing up military organizations is fun to me. This thread, I posted to my blog called, Technology Defines Tactics is more of an evolution of organization than a statement on tactics. Armies change their tactics as new technology is defined.

The musket changed how we fought. No more were formations tightly packed and forced to close with the enemy in order to bring the weight of the broadsword down on our opponent's heads. The musket allowed an army to exchange a few volleys before charging with the bayonet. The rifled musket determined a need for infantry to use cover for protection, including entrenchments. Pre-made cartridges and increased magazine capacity increased the sustainability of troops in the field. Machine guns modified the way in which Infantry approach enemy positions. The Art of maneuver had to be modified. The tank created the need for Anti Tank weapons. How to employ the tank and its counterpart needed to be included in our scope of tactics. Today, the great technology is Real Time Intelligence Analysis on the battlefield. how we incorporate that aspect of technology in tactics will determine future outcomes. How far down the chain of command is this information shared? Brigade? Battalion? Company? or does it go directly to the soldier carrying the pack?

Ooops! Did I just go off on a tangent again? Sorry guys. :( Creating armies is just something I greatly enjoy. When we get to that point of a NRP, feel free to ask me questions. I will help any way I can.

ImageImage

My Characters
My Writing Styles
Galileo Corporation
Modern Wargaming Rules

Best Days for RPing
Fri - Sun

Attitude | +
~ Charles Swindoll

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:15 pm 

Wouldn't telling every detail of your military system expose even the tiniest of weaknesses in the system

Your killing me slow, but i ain't ready to die.

"Behind my mask...... Is another mask." - Kakashi Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:22 pm 
Subscriber

That kind of thing applies to all sections of an NRP. If you want to put masses of time into constructing your military, you can do that. If you want to create a mammoth bureaucratic system akin to the British Civil Service, you can do that too. How much detail you put in is up to you. It's all part of the fun. It's like building a battle robot. You build what you like and pit your creations against one another.

On that note, it seems there is enough interest for this to go forward (I think). I'll put up the OOC at some point soon. After giving it some thought, I think I'd prefer to try a single planet setting for now and save the interplanetary galactic madness for when I have this stuff down to a science.

@imortalghost, that's all OOC info. If the characters in the IC wouldn't know, you can't use it. That doesn't mean to say you can't get your hands on the info, just that it's not universally available at start.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:09 am 

Rather Annoyed.

Medals: 1
Recruiter (1)

I am interested in this, DadSky.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:33 am 

PLaying SQUAD with TASQ

imortalghost wrote:
Wouldn't telling every detail of your military system expose even the tiniest of weaknesses in the system

Like Dadsky says, knowledge of this information as an author and using it in character would be considered meta-gaming. If I were to write some secret plot in the IC thread that only the President and a few ministers are privy to, no one outside that room knows it. If another author were to use that information as though they somehow had access to it in their post; assumed it was in the news media, that would be meta-gaming. There is no way another author's character would know.

I am not here to "win" a game. I am an author writing a story. Hell, I'll even have a sit down in character with one of your spies and my governmental clueless informant spilling the beans in some public cafe if you wish. For me, it is all about the story and has absolutely nothing to do with winning or losing. In fact, if I had to choose between winning and losing in an RP, I'd choose the losing side. It is definitely a much more interesting story.
Noir wrote:
jeez no need to get so defensive

He's not being "defensive" in any way. In fact, I didn't perceive your comment as offensive. He was simply answering your question. How can someone be defensive in a conversation when the other is not being offensive? It is not a fight. It is simply a mature conversation.

ImageImage

My Characters
My Writing Styles
Galileo Corporation
Modern Wargaming Rules

Best Days for RPing
Fri - Sun

Attitude | +
~ Charles Swindoll

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:37 am 

PLaying SQUAD with TASQ

You're welcome.

ImageImage

My Characters
My Writing Styles
Galileo Corporation
Modern Wargaming Rules

Best Days for RPing
Fri - Sun

Attitude | +
~ Charles Swindoll

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:18 pm 

Not all the players have to come up with their own nation do they? Could i say rp a character in Gunthers nation as opposed to creating my own? He's definitely more cut out for and knowledgeable in logistical aspects, mission orientation, and history over all than I am. I spent my four years in uniform from one combat zone to another. I can fight a war....not really lead a country haha.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:55 pm 
Subscriber

That's between you and him. If you want to liaise with him over that kind of thing, be my guest.

Which reminds me, if anyone has any good ideas for Nation Sheets can you please share? I'm a bit stuck atm.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:30 am 

PLaying SQUAD with TASQ

CorporalDingo wrote:
Not all the players have to come up with their own nation do they? Could i say rp a character in Gunthers nation as opposed to creating my own? He's definitely more cut out for and knowledgeable in logistical aspects, mission orientation, and history over all than I am. I spent my four years in uniform from one combat zone to another. I can fight a war....not really lead a country haha.

I would welcome this, Corporal Dingo. In my last Nation RP, I was fighting two proxy wars, conducting espionage on two continents and testing Nuclear Weapons. The RP was set in the 1950s.

ImageImage

My Characters
My Writing Styles
Galileo Corporation
Modern Wargaming Rules

Best Days for RPing
Fri - Sun

Attitude | +
~ Charles Swindoll

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:34 pm 

PLaying SQUAD with TASQ

I thought of Corporal Dingo's idea some more. Once, I got into a government RP where each author took on the role of various positions in a government. As an American, I would lean toward an American version, but could do some other nation. I am familiar with UK, French and German governments too. Maybe if I put some thought into this or someone has ideas on this, we can discuss. The one thing I do not want to get into is the legislative process of government. I would be more interested in the executive branch, the cabinet/ministry or the State Department/Foreign ministry/diplomacy and intell gathering.

ImageImage

My Characters
My Writing Styles
Galileo Corporation
Modern Wargaming Rules

Best Days for RPing
Fri - Sun

Attitude | +
~ Charles Swindoll

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:43 am 

This looks really interesting, but I really have no idea about politics, with only a vague idea of politics from middle school history lessons. Would I still be able to play? Perhaps as a part of someone else's government?

The fool clock, it shall stop.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:12 am 
Subscriber

No knowledge of politics or government systems required. All you need to do is hop in and go.