All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Murder Mystery
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:07 am 

Blog: View Blog (0)

This is a little game I decided to try based on one I used to play on a different site. It is, as the title suggests, a murder mystery game. Warning: yes, there will be talk of murder and mild descriptions of violence. If this bothers you, this is not the game for you. This game requires quite a few participants to be fun, ideally about twenty, so hopefully we get some interest. So, here's a little explanation as to how it would work:

Set-up
-Every person playing the game will have one character.
-One character will be chosen at random to be the killer. Their creator will be notified by me, but no one else will know who was chosen.
-The game will be divided into turns, each turn having two phases

Phase 1:
-The killer will select one character to murder.
-I will write a story from the killer's perspective that will contain clues to the killer's identity. Yes, this means if your character is the killer, I will be writing from their perspective. I know it may sound a little odd, but this is for two important reasons:
*1. The story will contain clues to the killer's identity. These clues must be present so that the mystery can be solved, but if they're too obvious the game will be rather short. It's a delicate balance and difficult to do, which is why I want to handle the task personally.
*2. Everyone has a different writing style. Should the creator of the killer write the scenes, it may be possible to identify them based on comparing the stories to their other on-site writings, which is not the point of the game. This way the posts will be written in my style, not anyone else's, so the writing style won't give anything away.
-This ends phase 1 and begins phase 2

Phase 2:
-The characters still remaining in the game will vote who they think the killer is, based on the information in the story (more information on this will be given below)
-Whichever character receives the most votes will be lynched by the group
-This concludes phase 2.

This is also the end of the turn. At this point, if the killer was the one lynched, the remainder of the group wins. If the person lynched was not the killer, the game continues on to the next turn, beginning with phase one and a new murder. This cycle will continue until the killer is caught.

Information about voting:
Before voting, all members of the group will have the chance to discuss which details of the story are clues and who they think the killer is. This will be OOC, and even members who have already been killed can join in the debate. However, only those still alive will be able to vote. This is your opportunity to try and catch the killer, try to save your character if they are under suspicion, or (in the case of the killer) deliberately try to point the blame on an innocent person. On this topic, saying, "Please, my character is innocent and it isn't fair that you kill them, vote for someone else," isn't going to convince anyone of your innocence. Try to base your arguments on logic, not emotion. And remember, this is a game. If someone suspects your character it isn't a personal attack. It's part of the game, and there is a good chance that your character may die during this game. Try not to be offended by it.

In addition to this, I will have an IC thread where members of the group can RP their characters and get to know each other. Posting in this thread, as well as the OOC debate thread, is completely optional. Participants are not required to use them. However, it will make the game a lot more fun if you do choose to use them. Discussions similar to those in the OOC voting debate thread can be held, but these would be in character. On this note, in this thread, unlike in the OOC, your character is more than welcome to make emotional appeals to try and save themselves, but remember that logical arguments will be more convincing. Only members who are still alive should post on the IC thread.

EDIT: Oh, I almost forgot. When creating characters, please give a little bit of information about their personality and history, as I will use these to draw on for clues to the killer when I write my stories. Also, include a picture. I find that a written description, while all well and good, doesn't give me enough detail to use for clues.

Edit 2: As far as setting goes, it will be an old fashioned small town. Think colonial America. Not much technology yet, and the towns are mostly independent from each other.

So, now to the all-important question: Would you like to play a game?

Last edited by Mnemosyne on Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
 Post subject: Re: Murder Mystery
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:26 pm 

I AM DOWN FOR THIS GAME.

Question #1
I apologize for the lack of information, but what are:

OOC and IC?

Question #2
Are we to Privately message you our character info so as to keep everyone's profile a secret from each other?

If I'm making sense.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:56 pm 

No problem- questions are good! They mean you actually care. So...

Answer 1: IC means 'in character.' This means you are writing as your character, such as in a normal role playing post. OOC means 'out of character.' This means you are not writing as your character. For example, this conversation is out of character, because we are talking as ourselves, not a character we created.

Answer 2: No, characters would be posted here. In order for other players to find the clues in the post and determine who the killer is, they would have to know who the other characters are.

Anyway, I hope that made things clearer, and I'm glad you're interested in the game! Feel free to let me know if you have any more questions.

View Likes PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:41 am 

This is getting me going.
Thank you for the answers.

I'm all pumped up now.
!gah

Brainstorming for Character profile.
So much fun.

View Likes PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:54 am 

Feeling mighty sneaky.

Medals: 1
Longest RP (1)

Yeah, I am in, very thrilling.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:16 am 

1st Year (1)

This sounds fun, I've played this before in theatre classes XD

I'm in!

@Shades? Whatch'a think?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:57 am 

Sort of back.

Medals: 16
Longest RP (1) Completed RP (2)
Dedicated Partner (1) Most Patient (3)
Blog: View Blog (59)

I didn't kill anyo... oh, wait.

Damn you, @AhZombies. You'll pay for that. I was trying to resist. XD

I'm in, if people can be patient with a slow-ish poster.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:40 am 

Awesome, I'm glad there's some interest! Feel free to post your characters whenever you're ready, and I'll add a character list in the first post. Hopefully in the meantime we can get some more players as well.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:31 pm 

Feeling mighty sneaky.

Longest RP (1)

*interest intensifies*

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 12.77 KiB | Viewed 23619 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:17 pm 

Sort of back.

Where will this be set? As in, country, and will it be modern day? Just so I know, creating a character concept in my head now.

View Likes PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:24 pm 

I suppose that information would be helpful, huh? I rather forgot about that. Sorry. I edited it into my first post, but essentially it would be a small rural town in a colonial America type setting. I figure if it was modern era there would be law enforcement and such, which would rather interfere with the plot.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:34 pm 

Sort of back.

Don't worry, I do it a lot with my own ideas. It happens. Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:26 pm 

Sort of back.

Sorry, I have been way too busy, and would end up stalling everyone. I'll have to bow out of this. Maybe if there's still room in the future, I'll join back! Sorry again!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:08 pm 

*Looks left* *Looks right* I see no one here to stall, really. You know, considering we currently have... All of 0 characters. Still, it's totally up to you, so if you want to back out that's perfectly fine. Maybe if things calm down a bit you can see about trying after all. Assuming it isn't completely dead by then...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:15 pm 

Sort of back.

I do plan on returning in the future indeed, in case this takes off!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:30 am 

Rum innate.

Medals: 2
December 2015 (1) Gif Hunt Participant! (1)
Blog: View Blog (4)

I'm in.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:11 pm 

Rum innate.

Medals: 2
December 2015 (1) Gif Hunt Participant! (1)
Blog: View Blog (4)

I did it. I killed chat.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:36 pm 

I am down for this... all I got to say is red did it, he is kinda sus!