All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:39 pm 
Horror Writing Contest Winner

Blog: View Blog (1)

I haven't written any music reviews since I was part of my student newspaper, but I thought I would give it another go. It gives my the opportunity to stretch out my creative energies by placing words to sounds. There will be a mixture of old and new releases, from a variety of genres, but ultimately I'm trying to convince you its worth a listen.

I was unaware of Gojira until I went to Bloodstock 2010 (last weekend), to which they played an impressive set. However, my focus is on the studio material I have recently come across. Let's throw out these key genre buzzwords if you need them to try and understand what you're getting, how about 'experimental progressive technical death metal.' I think this really stunts the bands integrity, as they have risen in a space of about eight years from unknowns to an internationally recognised band, and given the niche market of metal in general (at least in the UK) this is extremely good. Plus hark back to the old school days of no computers and internet where artists needed to build a reputation from word of mouth, and the odd magazine critic. The current technological environment gives great advantages to obscure but great bands. Potentially giving them the audience they deserve.

Gojira - The Way OF All Flesh

Released in 2008, and their fourth studio album, French metal band Gojira have upped the ante. Opening track 'Oroborus' strikes you quickly like the serpent getting you into the mood, with its catchy riffs weaving in and out. Their influences from bands like Meshuggah and Tool become apparent early on. Their namesake revolving around Godzilla, this bands lyrical content likes to explore environmental issues like 'Toxic Garbage Island' as well as death in its many guises, personally and socially. Their verses alternate between throat-stripping vocals and fast double bass drumming to a kind of groovy guitar momentum, characteristically in tracks such as 'A Sight to Behold'. 'Adoration for None' features Randy Blyth of metalcore contemporaries Lamb Of God and he is perfectly utilised in the song. Make no mistake, this is heavy and dark music. Each track tries something different in terms of technique and song structure but remains thematically a united whole. Short interludes like 'A Silver Cord' expresses a meditative side of this scaly beast.

'The Art Of Dying' is the standout track for me primarily for its tribal jittering intro like bones dangling in the air of some deep African jungle, then exploding into the mammoth-striding rhythm section. Dealing with the obsession with technology and loss of humanity, the song then massacres everything in Tokyo in true death metal etiquette before riffing off triumphantly into the night.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:03 am 

Shiny Toy Guns - We Are Pilots

Shiny Toy Guns is the brainchild of DJ Jeremy Dawson and Vocalist/Guitarist Chad Petree. Both have had much experience within the industry, performing throughout the US, producing several dance hits and even scoring a majority of the Grand Theft Auto III soundtrack. Their professional and perfectionist attitudes have lead to a very polished and exciting sound. Their faithfulness to classic song writing does them credit, and combined with the latest digital technology, makes them forward thinking. ‘You Are The One’ is the first single from the album and a cracking opener, filled with gothic organs, rock riffs and synthetic strings. ‘Waiting’ is a subdued song of yearning that sheds chills up the spine. ‘Jackie Will Save Me’ is great dancing material, complimented by co-singer Carah Faye’s vocals. There is a great diversity of songs here. Embracing every ‘neutral’ genre of music, making them easily accessible, whether it be fans of rock, pop, electronica, whatever. Having already toured with the likes of My Chemical Romance and Fall Out Boy, these guys could effortlessly rise up to those groups dizzying heights of success.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:17 am 

Tool - 10,000 Days

Tool made a triumphant return after a five year long wait. 10,000 Days is a seemingly natural progression of the new wave of prog rock/metal bands. Compared to their seminal masterpiece 'Lateralus' with its complex concept evolved by its mind bending lyrics, each of the tracks on 10,000 Days feel more individual and concise. For first time listeners to their brand of prog rock, this band defy traditional song structure and transcend to another plane of existence, thematically speaking. Opening tracks ‘Vicarious’ and ‘Jambi’ make the hairs on the back of your neck stand on end as they hit like a sledgehammer. Danny Carey’s drumming and Justin Chancellor’s bass playing together are unrivalled and Adam Jone’s guitar work adds the signature Tool sound. ‘Wings For Marie’ along with the title track makes an epic and moving epitaph to singer Maynard’s mother. References to their previous albums can be heard throughout, with alternative versions of recognisable riffs, most notably Aenima’s ‘Third Eye’ on ‘Rosetta Stoned’, which is as exciting as it is lyrically hilarious. Apart from the odd filler track, this is brilliant, artistic and mentally stimulating rock. The creative packaging and 3D artwork is worth the CD price alone.

When I wrote this review as I was just getting into 'post-rock', which if you know take things even further experimentally. But I shall return to this on a later date.