All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What Would You Do?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:05 am 

Blog: View Blog (2)

What Would You Do?

Your walking along the streets of New York. Millions of people rush by you as you walk, and suddenly you see a woman. She is well dressed, obviously has a good job of some sort. She staggers before falling suddenly, passing out nearly out of the blue.

What Would You Do?

Help, of course! Stop by her and call 911 right? Well, let's change the scene ever so slightly. Your walking along the streets of New York. Millions of people rush by you as you walk, and suddenly you see a homeless man. He looks like a wreck, and there is a foul stench coming from him. Suddenly he staggers, and falls to the floor, passing out.

What Would You Do?

Help, of course, right? WRONG. You say you would, but you only say that to be a good person. In reality, you would look over at him but walk by, not a care in the world for that man or why he was passed out. If he was dead.

Year 2008, Hospital. A woman is sitting in a chair. Suddenly, she falls out of the chair, knocked out cold for unknown reasons. Staffmembers, Doctors, Nurses, and even Police Officers look over at her, take notice of her, and yet shrug it off and do nothing. The woman goes unnoticed. IN A HOSPITAL.

Not too long ago, a homeless guy is attacked by some men. He falls over, hitting his head on a car, and blacks out. 20 minutes later, after people look and notice him but pay no attention, someone notices. They call an ambulane. Too late. He's dead.

Why is it that we humans say we are all equal, when these things happen? "I'm going to be late for work, someone else will find him." That's what you think. And yet, that's what everyone thinks. They would rather be somewhere else. Until a Good Samaritan comes along. Why do we do this? What is wrong with us? I made this so that everyone can share experiences, times when we have seen others in danger or in need of help, but we passed along even though we knew it was the wrong thing to do. Don't be embarassed, it has happened to all of us. We are all guilty in our own way.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
 Post subject: Re: What Would You Do?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:33 am 

Owner

Medals: 14
Villain of the Month (2) Original Character (1)
Best Group RP (1) Longest RP (1)
Blog: View Blog (0)

There are more recent stories such as this, in fact just this year a man gets stabbed stopping a man from mugging some woman collapses on the ground and slowly bleeds to death as people step over him and go about their day. Some guy even stopped to check his pockets and take a picture of him with his cell phone but not once did anyone call for help and so this good Samaritan dies because no one stepped up to help him. The whole thing is caught on a security camera from the bank he collapsed in front of, time stamp and everything of the hours he laid there.

Another store was of an elderly man that go hit by a car crossing the street and no one did anything to help him, just left him lying in the street. I mean even other ****ing cars slowed to drive around him but no one called an ambulance and so this man also died. We have lost our connection with one another and it is a sad, sad world we live in when someone wont stop to give another help while they lay there dying.

"Any fool can write. It takes a genius to read"~Dadsky.
"Draco didn’t listen, so Hermione shut him down the best way she knew how"......"She set that ****ing on fire."
"Ausan: She's beauty, She's grace, She'll punch you in the face"~Smexy Awesome Fossil
Like Gaming? Want to Game with me? Or even just show your support? Check out my Twitch Channel!

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
 Post subject: Re: What Would You Do?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:48 am 

Blog: View Blog (0)

I will probably make myself sound very cynical here, but do bear with me.

Even in the first situation, of someone wealthy passing out, I believe the chances of someone helping are still rather slim. This is because generally in a crowd situation, the more people there are, the less likely one is to help.

The first step to helping is to noticing that something is wrong. The thought of someone collapsing seems like a pretty obvious emergency in your head, but when you're passing through a large crowd, trying to get somewhere, not specifically looking for any of these kinds of emergencies, it is surprisingly easy not to noice in the first place, making you seem to be indifferently walking by.

After this, a person needs to decide if it's an emergency. Someone just fell to the floor; but are they having a heartattack or did they just fall over? People often draw from the reactions of those around them as a guide of how they should act if they are unsure of a situation, and if the crowd is just staying calm about this, it can be a reassurance that things aren't as bad as they seem to you, causing you to just keep walking past.

Finally, if the person notices and does indeed decide it is an emergency, they need to actually help. Because there are lots of others around, they will feel a "diffusion of responsibility" - a person feels less responsibility to go help because there are others around so the responsibility is shared. However, don't mistake this for apathy or not caring about the situation. People who have been in this situation are often in a moral dilema afterwards, having worried about the person but not felt enough obligation to step forward and help, whilst others were around.