All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:04 pm 

Missing My Companions

Medals: 3
1st Year (1) 2nd Year (1)
3rd Year (1)
Blog: View Blog (2)

For me, to tell someone I have a favorite Lord of the Rings character is difficult. Mainly, because I have loved Tolkien's characters for many long years...since I was ten...so nearly thirty-two years.

Overall, there is one that always shines out the most to me: Galadriel. She was wise and beautiful in many ways, and that was even before I saw her on the screen. To me, it seemed she was just wonderful - strong, independent, farsighted, and even with her power and beauty - she had a radiant simple grace to her, and she still knew how to laugh even in moments of darkness and trouble. It was she who saw through Saruman before any other; though it would be Gandalf who would truly uncover his treachery to the White Council. It was Galadriel who wished Gandalf to originally lead the Council. She knew how difficult Frodo's journey would be, and gifted him with one of the most powerful of her treasures: The Phial of Galadriel...kept within by the power of their most beloved star: The Star of Earendil. She was everything, and still modest in it all.

Of course, I loved Gandalf, Eowyn, Faramir, Aragorn, Frodo (though less so from the movies), and many others, but always I adored Galadriel.

Now, it is your turn. Have fun choosing and explaining your choice!

"One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them."

~J.R.R. Tolkien

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
View Likes PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:42 am 

Been over on Rolplay Repository for a bit. Currently retired.

Blog: View Blog (2)

Awesome topic Dnarion! For me, I finished reading the Lord of the Rings books shortly before I saw the first movie in 2001. I got the book set for my 13th birthday. I too loved Galadriel for she seemed such a wise and beautiful soul who had a bit of mischievious streak in her. My suspicion was verified when I later read The Silmarillion and found out she was a Noldorian rebel in Valinor. I thought Cate Blanchett did a remarkable job portraying Galdriel in the movies, but didn't quite have the look my mind gave Galadriel when I first read the books. The best portrayal she did of Galadriel was at the White Council scene in the Hobbit movie. The one with the moon in the sky behind her!

The character that really stuck with me though when I red the books was Eowyn. I thought her tale was full of sadness which Faramir was able to heal. She suffered from emotional abuse at the hands of Grima, cared for her uncle who had become despondent, felt there was no way out and fell deep into dispair when her cousin is slain at the Fords of Isen, then Eomer is arrested after returning to Meduseld after the insident near Fangorn and meeting Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli. She saw hope when she saw Aragorn, and she held to that hope until it too was crushed when Aragorn rode off to the Paths of the Dead. So she sought death in the war and nearly had it. The whole Houses of the Healing part was so touching!

And yes, I swooned for Faramir in the books, and also Strider/Aragorn in a swoony teenage girl way. Thought David Wenhem and Viggo Mortenson portrayed the characters quite well, but the movie screenplay really stuffed it up for Faramir.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace