All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

View Likes PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:44 pm 

OK, this looks bad.

Blog: View Blog (11)

Hello!

I've been browsing the Chit Chat/Random talk section and I noticed there wasn't really a topic on comics or Graphic Novels (or maybe there was and I missed it. I mean, there are lot.)

So here I am, starting one. Have you got a favourite comic you really want people to know about? Do you write comics? I do too! To both of those things! Do you draw comics and want to share your awesomeness? Let's chat! Or we can wave through our computer screens at each other, but it is hard to tell when someone is doing that. Here's my first offering:

I've just finished the second volume of Saga, written by Brian K. Vaughan and artwork by Fiona Staples. This is a Sci-Fi/Fantasy series (or "saga" you might say) that I have fallen in love with. The artwork is beautiful and the writing is amazing. I can't even begin to describe what it's about, but the absolute minimum is that it follows from two people from different sides of a war (between a planet and a moon, obviously) who fall in love, have a baby and want to escape it all.

The story doesn't flinch from more mature topics and even though some of the characters might look a bit insane (one guy has a TV for a head), they are all incredibly realistic.

The first digital issue is available for free from https://imagecomics.com/comics/releases/saga-1 if you want to check it out!

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
View Likes PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:37 am 

hey kid want some dmt

Medals: 1
Supporter (1)
Blog: View Blog (0)

I'm also a recent (as of December) saga fan, I'm excited to have someone to gush about it with!
Up to date with it at the moment and impatiently awaiting the latest installment. I hope you manage to get your hands on and enjoy everything past book two!

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:03 am 

eye of newt, tail of newt... rest of newt...

Medals: 12
Best Couple (1) 1st Year (1)
2nd Year (1) 3rd Year (1)
Blog: View Blog (59)

@Sojourn Was it you who mentioned 'Saga' to me once upon a time?

Regardless, it looks super neat! I used to read so many damn comic books when I was younger, particularly Donald Duck (Carl Barks, you are amazing), and a series called Nofret which takes place in ancient Egypt and describes historical events and things that might've happened through the eyes of an inquisitive Egyptian woman who gets into all kinds of crap. Loved it!

Sent from t̗͈ͥ͒͒̅̑̿h̺ͣ̑̐̎̑̇͝ẹ͇͊ͤͅ ̗̝͖̠͍͔̺ͣ̓͆͐̕v̶͂̒͗oͭ̀̌̉̿ỉ̉̌̒̓̈͌͠d̛̤̻͖̂͊͗̈͑ using Tapatalk

Only doing 1x1s and tiny groups for now due being generally busy. If you have a cool idea, feel free to approach me, though, alas, even the most awesome adventures must be passed up on sometimes.
invisgmt+1 + 6th semester university student = patience please ♥

View Likes PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:19 pm 

OK, this looks bad.

@wolvesatebarbie I only discovered Saga last week and have fallen in love with it. I am absolutely happy to gush about it and I'm already saving my pennies for the next few volumes! How many is it now, 5?

@Fearless Sissy You neeeeeed to read it. I mean, obviously I don't control you and your choices are your own, but your neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed to. Or not. Your choice. (Read it)

Also I hope "things that might've happened through the eyes of an inquisitive Egyptian woman who gets into all kinds of crap" was the slogan that was used for Nofret. If not, they really missed out.

Also if either of you (or anyone reading this) are interested in Buffy the Vampire Slayer, the Humble Bundle is doing a massive sale on Buffy comics right now. $15 for over 30 digital comics. Assuming you like digital comics that is. I have mixed feelings about them myself.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:24 pm 

Medals: 6
Dedicated Partner (1) Most Patient (1)
1st Year (1) Supporter (1)

@Fearless Sissy: It wasn't me. Although I must say, it does look pretty interesting.

The two comics I ever got the most into were Sojourn (where I got my username) and Witchblade (the lead character is my current avatar).

ImageImage

View Likes PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:09 am 

Medals: 2
Original Character (1) December 2015 (1)

Yessssss for comic talk! I've heard about Saga, but now that you've recommended it I might go and give it a proper look soon.

One webcomic that I absolutely adore is Unsounded

It's one of those stories that's really hard to explain, as it's just jam packed full of everything, but at its core, it's about the families people make for themselves amid the unexpected, and the unlikely bond between a 'zombie' bodyguard and a child from a long line of criminals. With a fantasy twist and gripping storyline turns, its one of those rollercoaster stories that really takes you on a journey and makes you think outside of reading it. The artwork gets especially amazing in its recent chapters; it really feels as though the comic evolves with you the more you get stuck into it!

It's still ongoing, but one can tell that so much thought went into the world building - from its unique magic system, to the creation of a whole new language, to the creator behind it all even creating prose side stories and a tumblr account to answer her audience's questions regarding various aspects of the world that wouldn't otherwise be touched upon in the comic - its just so good I could gush about it for days xD

Some of its artwork:

View Likes PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:48 am 

OK, this looks bad.

A new webcomic! Excellent, I love webcomics. @turtleteapot you definitely had me hooked at ''zombie' bodyguard and a child from a long line of criminals". Any time wasted over the next few days reading this comic is entirely your fault :D

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:01 am 

Apropos webcomics, I used to be super into one called 'The Property of Hate' - I dunno if anyone else has heard of it? I only ran into one person here who had, which is a shame, because damn, is it beautiful and unique and crazy! It's so crazy that I don't actually know much about the plot. There's a child who is lost in this crazy dream world and they befriend their surroundings who take turns to be either neutrally benevolent or out to kill them. Honestly, I couldn't explain, but check it out. I really should get back into it soon...

It's also available in several languages, which is rad af in my opinion.

Only doing 1x1s and tiny groups for now due being generally busy. If you have a cool idea, feel free to approach me, though, alas, even the most awesome adventures must be passed up on sometimes.

Last edited by Fearless Sissy on Mon May 16, 2016 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

View Likes PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:07 am 

OK, this looks bad.

I bought a graphic novel on a whim yesterday called Nimona:

Anyone else read it? It's about an 'evil genius' who recruits a shapeshifting girl called Nimona to be his sidekick. I read it in one session as it is HILARIOUS. Here's a little snippet of the second page and if it makes you giggle, this book is one you'll want to check out:

Page 2 of Nimona | +

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:10 am 

@SunkenTreasure bro dude that looks incredible. Thank heck I just earned some extra money, because I might have to get that!

Just the "yessssss" at the end it is incredible. Plus, I super like the Adventure Time-ish art style! (Been too long since I watched that, too.)

View Likes PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:14 am 

hey kid want some dmt

Medals: 1
Supporter (1)

@SunkenTreasure Thank you for sharing! Definitely going to track Nimora down, looks like my cup of tea.

If you enjoy sitting in front of a screen for hours on end (of course you do) I'd seriously recommend this webcomic. It's not super long, but it is hilarious and the art is breathtaking. Check out Romantically Apocalyptic , here's a strip from it below about two guys just trying to make light of the apocalypse.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:04 am 

...looking for some new RP's.

Medals: 2
1st Year (1) 2nd Year (1)
Blog: View Blog (1)

Great thread you have here! More "food" for my brain to read! Thanks =D
While I am at it I would like to share my slice of the cake :

I quite enjoy the comics on the site webtoons
My favourite one from the site is Noblesse.
http://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/noblesse/list?title_no=87,
Other names as The Gamer, The God of High Shool,Winter Woods as well as Lessa and Dr.Frost, is series I keep track of, because they have all their unique flavor...

These are all kinds of interesting comics in different art styles and genres. (some of them manhwa, others not)
It ranges from slice of life to fantasy and magic :)

To sum up my favourites:

Going back to Noblesse, It is about Vampires, Humans, Mutants, Artificially created puppets, and other interesting things happening :D I dont want to spoil too much in case somebody decides to pick it up. The mixture of action, plot, gags and last but not least the art has kept me on my toes for more than 4 years :D

The Gamer is about a guy who developed the magical ability of turning his real life into a game. It is funny and full of action.
The God of High School is centering about a martial arts adventure, with some slight referrence to DB/Z. Mostly action and fighting themed.

While Winter Woods is a kind of a Zombie (Hommunculus, actually) turns Human romantic story.

Lessa is previously set as Vampiric novel, but it gradually turns mystical and fantastic with lots of 'demonic and angelic' elements.

And to top it off Dr.Frost is about a psychologist counsellor who picked up psychology to 'cure' himself. Highly recommended if you are interested in human psychology and mystery riddles.

View Likes PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 8:44 am 

Hello! Since drunken treasure asked about people who make comics as well as love to read them, I thought I might plug my own series of webcomics: The Kolodruidtale: Epilogues series, and the CPP::SAMA series. You can read both of these comics on the current Tapastic website:

CPP::SAMA
Kolodruidtale Epilogues
(:edit: Kolodruitale: Epilogues is fairly old... not a great depiction of my current level of ability. But I'm currently planning on resuming work on it, so yeah! :D)

I'm not quite at the level of a professional comic book artist just yet, but I'm definitely aiming to get there. :D As for being a fan of comics in general, I really was a huge fan of Conan the Barbarian, all the Wolverine marvel comics and the huge upsurge in Manga popularity in the 90's and early 20's.

Thing is, I seem to have been away from the game for a long time. I've only recently returned to the world of comics, and particularly in the west has everything seem to have changed so much... it's a bit intimidating and scary for one who wants to make his own... :(

Excellent selection of comics, though, guys. I'm definitely going to check out Nimona and Unsounded, so kudos to @SunkenTreasure and @tutrleteapot for suggesting them! :D

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 2:56 pm 

OK, this looks bad.

Plug away @DruidPeter! I'm going to check out your comics for sure! I'm sure you'll be at professional level in no time.

Don't be intimidated by what's out there! Reach for the stars DruidPeter. We are behind you 100% of the way cheering and waving little flags with your face on.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 5:49 pm 

lol. Thanks, @SunkenTreasure! I'll do my best to make something of outstanding quality! :D

View Likes PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 3:01 pm 

Go you @DruidPeter c: Pursue your dreams!

Recently stumbled upon Shattered Starlight, and aside from the art style being really cool, the premise is the most amazing thing I've ever seen:

Farah Shaughnessy is a magical girl. Or rather, she was a magical girl. Now, instead of saving Montreal from the forces of Chaos and Entropy, she’s just trying to hold down a decent job to pay her rent and still trying to get her life together a decade after the breakup of her team. When strange things start happening around her and old enemies start to reappear, Farah has to make a choice: face the things she’s been running from all these years or put down her astral weapon hockey stick and walk away for good.

Prologue is just about to end, and chapter 1 about to start, so there's nothing to catch up on if you're looking for a new comic fix!