All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:22 am 

Medals: 1
Dedicated Partner (1)
Blog: View Blog (0)

So I'm now questing for truly good horror novels, preferably with paranormal/supernatural/occult tones. Or really just weird **** that has no explanation. Looking forward to suggestions!

"Who put bacon in the soap?!?!?!" - Zim

I'm writing this story! It's called The Legends of Kal'duune. You can comment about things you like or hate, but preferably the first thing, here!

This thing is my resume! Reeeeaad iiiiiit...

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:40 am 

eye of newt, tail of newt... rest of newt...

Medals: 12
Best Couple (1) 1st Year (1)
2nd Year (1) 3rd Year (1)
Blog: View Blog (59)

Okay, but - everything Edgar Allan Poe.

It's super psychological and pretty scary. It makes me unsettled reading it. I have only really read a bunch of his short stories (tbh I'm not 100% sure if he's ever written full novels?), but I super super recommend his writing.

Sent from t̗͈ͥ͒͒̅̑̿h̺ͣ̑̐̎̑̇͝ẹ͇͊ͤͅ ̗̝͖̠͍͔̺ͣ̓͆͐̕v̶͂̒͗oͭ̀̌̉̿ỉ̉̌̒̓̈͌͠d̛̤̻͖̂͊͗̈͑ using Tapatalk

Only doing 1x1s and tiny groups for now due being generally busy. If you have a cool idea, feel free to approach me, though, alas, even the most awesome adventures must be passed up on sometimes.
invisgmt+1 + 6th semester university student = patience please ♥

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:53 pm 

Dedicated Partner (1)

Edgar Allen Poe is always a good choice. So is HP Lovecraft if you haven't read him. I'm just having trouble finding something that actually scares me.

I'm writing this story! It's called The Legends of Kal'duune. You can comment about things you like or hate, but preferably the first thing, here!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:23 am 

Been trying to get into Lovecraft as of late, but alas, there are so many other good books I would also like to read!

But as for things that scare you, I dunno, Stephen King? Dude is a genius in my humble opinion (although I am admittedly more interested in the not-horror stuff he writes).

A second suggestion would be Stig Larsson. I know it isn't horror (he wrote the Millennium Trilogy, 'Men Who Hate Women' etc.), but damn if it isn't disturbing.

Sent from t̗͈ͥ͒͒̅̑̿h̺ͣ̑̐̎̑̇͝ẹ͇͊ͤͅ ̗̝͖̠͍͔̺ͣ̓͆͐̕v̶͂̒͗oͭ̀̌̉̿ỉ̉̌̒̓̈͌͠d̛̤̻͖̂͊͗̈͑ using Tapatalk

Only doing 1x1s and tiny groups for now due being generally busy. If you have a cool idea, feel free to approach me, though, alas, even the most awesome adventures must be passed up on sometimes.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:50 am 

hey kid want some dmt

Supporter (1)

I second the above suggestions and would also recommend 'Heart Shaped Box' or 'Horns' by Joe Hill (Stephen King's son, both weird with supernatural elements), any of Gillian Flynn's books (not supernatural but well written horror/mystery. She's the author of 'Gone Girl'), 'Cell' by Stephen King (my personal favorite of his bibliography), 'Exquisite Corpse' by Poppy Z Brite (body and psychological horror, very adult themes). There's probably a bunch of others but they've escaped my mind right now.

I know how you feel though, I find it difficult to find something that genuinely scares me outside of HP Lovecraft. Some of his works don't quite do it for me, but others absolutely terrify me.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:10 pm 

looking for active people

Medals: 4
Most Patient (1) 1st Year (1)

I personally find the short story collections of Stephen King to be quite interesting, especially the one about the worms from outer space, still hunting me to this day XD
Cell is very interesting too, I have read that one in the train. But the most scary about that was that after the first few pages I looked around and saw how many people were holding their cellphones, that creeped me out XD
I think I actually have heart shaped box in my collection, still need to read it ^^
HP Lovecraft is definitely the way to go
Try dreamcatcher or duma key by Stephen King too, they are pretty thick books but worth it

Reply time: max. 1-2 weeks. Please send me a reminder (pm, ping, chatroom) if my reply is overdue ^^

here is my Resume<-do read it for better understanding

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:15 pm 

Dedicated Partner (1)

I love Joe Hill. I just read Horns and damn that book was brilliant. I loved the message behind it. Heart shaped box is definitely on my list as well. Thanks for the Stephen King suggestions. I'm currently reading the shining. It's my first adventure into his writing, but wow I'm impressed

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:50 am 

hey kid want some dmt

Supporter (1)

The Shining actually isn't high up on my list of favorite's by King, weirdly. I agreed wholeheartedly with Chemical Lady regarding his short stories though - 'The Mist' is a fantastic short. And the sudden realization of how screwed the human race would be if our cell phones were used against us also hit me during the first few pages of reading 'Cell', haha.

Side note for 'Horns' - the movie with Daniel Radcliffe is surprisingly great in my opinion too. Very true to the book.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:55 am 

Dedicated Partner (1)

I agree. Both great in their own ways. I like that the movie took some creative liberties. Especially the "punishment" scenes. Great touch

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:08 am 

I used to wait for the bus on my school's library reading King's 'Nightmares and Dreamscapes' short story collection. There was this super disgusting one with a longass finger that lived in a guy's drain. Brrr. Stephen King, how do you sleep at night with that freaky imagination?

Glad you're trying him out, @Malikai!

View Likes PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:38 am 

looking for active people

Medals: 4
Most Patient (1) 1st Year (1)

I have read that one with the finger XD I liked how he described the end although I was wondering about that since the beginning of the story

Reply time: max. 1-2 weeks. Please send me a reminder (pm, ping, chatroom) if my reply is overdue ^^

here is my Resume<-do read it for better understanding