All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

View Likes PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:21 pm 

eye of newt, tail of newt... rest of newt...

Medals: 12
Best Couple (1) 1st Year (1)
2nd Year (1) 3rd Year (1)
Blog: View Blog (59)

So @Shades' 2016 reading thread is made of radness and fun bibliophiliac tendencies, and you should go check it out, because books are great and I feel like it just creates a really good sense of community when you know you're reading with fellow nerds, even if you are not reading the same things!

The only reason I am making this thread is for the purpose of a brief guide on how to create a personal book log, which is really super simple, that I feel like ties in really nicely with Shades' thread. So, here goes:

1) Make a spreadsheet. I used Google Docs, because I like to be able to link my own log. I hope others will do the same because I love to stalk.
Click for larger image.
2) What you want to track is of course how many books you've read and what they were called. That's really the most basic thing. But spreadsheets are pretty wonderful and will do math for you if you tell them to - so why not use that?
3) Highlighted in red is my total page count. An important part of this is to know that you don't have to finish every book you start, thus also the 'A' column made for tracking the books you do finish. To make the spreadsheet count the amount of pages/books/whatevers, enter the code also highlighted in red at the top right. My read pages are in the 'E' column, but for obvious reasons yours might not be. So far, it only counts the numbers listed in cells E2 through to E21. Easy to change later on if I manage to fill those out!
4) The stuff highlighted in purple are fun stats (or not, I don't know how much of a geek you are. Don't judge me) that really serve no purpose (other than the total page count of the books because I want to do things with percentages and pie charts (don't JUDGE ME).

So yeah, share in the fun, talk about the awesome books you read in 2016, and create a book log to share with the rest of us, too, if you want, because if you didn't know how to before, now you certainly do. Remember, it's not as important to finish the books as it is to just read! =D

Only doing 1x1s and tiny groups for now due being generally busy. If you have a cool idea, feel free to approach me, though, alas, even the most awesome adventures must be passed up on sometimes.
invisgmt+1 + 6th semester university student = patience please ♥

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
View Likes PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:26 pm 

Sort of back.

Medals: 16
Longest RP (1) Completed RP (2)
Dedicated Partner (1) Most Patient (3)

There ya go, stalker!

Decided to add a little more because nerds must do the nerdish thing, amirite? Thanks for creating this!

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:20 am 

Medals: 7
1st Year (1) 2nd Year (1)
Supporter (3) Contest Winner (1)
Blog: View Blog (16)

Thanks for the guide. Google Docs is sooo much simpler to use. (I do know how to navigate round normal Excel, but it's lonnng xD)

Anyway, here's my log. I'm disappointed at how little I've managed to read this year :( haha! Ah well, just gonna do one of my summer reading challenges to get some more in my head haha xD

Attachment:
Book Log.jpg
Book Log.jpg [ 116.95 KiB | Viewed 3727 times ]

One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

View Likes PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:54 am 

eye of newt, tail of newt... rest of newt...

Medals: 12
Best Couple (1) 1st Year (1)
2nd Year (1) 3rd Year (1)

@Vampire.Panda Looks super neat! But yeah, tell me about the little time for reading. I am surprised at how slowly I finish books now that life has gotten more in the way, and I really have to sit myself down and tell myself that "there, it's reading time now. Open that book and ignore everything else for just half an hour". Maybe I should schedule time for reading every (other) day!

Sent from t̗͈ͥ͒͒̅̑̿h̺ͣ̑̐̎̑̇͝ẹ͇͊ͤͅ ̗̝͖̠͍͔̺ͣ̓͆͐̕v̶͂̒͗oͭ̀̌̉̿ỉ̉̌̒̓̈͌͠d̛̤̻͖̂͊͗̈͑ using Tapatalk

Only doing 1x1s and tiny groups for now due being generally busy. If you have a cool idea, feel free to approach me, though, alas, even the most awesome adventures must be passed up on sometimes.
invisgmt+1 + 6th semester university student = patience please ♥

View Likes PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:32 am 

Medals: 7
1st Year (1) 2nd Year (1)
Supporter (3) Contest Winner (1)
Blog: View Blog (16)

@Fearless Sissy, Thanks! and I know what you mean. I normally set some time aside once everyone's sleeping, but can almost guarantee that as soon as I go to open the book, something pops up haha!! Hopefully when things quiet down again I can get back in the swing of things haha! xD

One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them