All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 2016 reading thread!
View Likes PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:12 pm 

Medals: 8
Completed RP (1) Most Patient (4)
Most Punctual (1) 1st Year (1)
Blog: View Blog (0)

That does make me feel a lot better. Do you usually like to read stories that have those sorts of endings or not? Sometimes those kinds of endings can be really poignant, but on other occasions they just come off as rather fatalistic to me. The Fault in Our Stars seemed like such a sad story to me. Would you recommend it, or think it's something that I should probably avoid? I'm honestly not sure that I would be able to handle something like that!

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:28 pm 

eye of newt, tail of newt... rest of newt...

Medals: 12
Best Couple (1) 1st Year (1)
2nd Year (1) 3rd Year (1)
Blog: View Blog (59)

I usually don't read stories that I know from the get-go are going to make me sad as hell, no. And honestly, I feel like John green is a hit-or-miss kinda author.

TFiOS is really really YA, but that doesn't mean it's not a good book. I thought it was very engrossing and I liked the characters a lot. It's silly and sad and I really liked it, actually. But it is very Young Adult, so if that's not your genre, I wouldn't bother with it.

Only doing 1x1s and tiny groups for now due being generally busy. If you have a cool idea, feel free to approach me, though, alas, even the most awesome adventures must be passed up on sometimes.
invisgmt+1 + 6th semester university student = patience please ♥

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:12 am 

Honestly the reason I had asked had nothing to do with the Young Adult Fiction genre aspects of the story, but more because it sounds like it's something that would indeed make me sad. Having looked over the story description again and confirmed that it's about what I thought it was about I think I'm going to pass it over. I'm not sure I could really handle that kind of a plot myself, having lost several loved ones to cancer in the real world ^^;

View Likes PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:18 pm 

Medals: 1
1st Year (1)

@Aeromancer,
I know how you feel and I'm sorry about your loved ones. My mom's best friend, Annette, fought different variations of cancer for the past ten years. It went from breast cancer, to organ cancer, then the last one was radiation cancer (it's the cancer affecting the bones). The last cancer was the one she couldn't get surgery or real treatment for, so all she could do was get as comfortable as she could. My mom and I supported Annette by taking her to the doctor's appointment and staying with her during recovery. Her own family wasn't the most supportive during this process because they were waiting for her to pass on, but in my family's case she was family. We love her and still do. Though she not here physically, I honor her by visiting her grave and growing out my hair, so I can later donate it to associations that helped her as much as they could when she was alive. I still pretty much attend and raise money for charities like those to this day by running in 5k's or volunteering my time in those specific hospitals. Whatever I can do to help other people who are going through the same situation.

As for Fault in our Stars....Well, I will say it's not my favorite book. Not that it makes me sad or anything, but it's because the characters bug me. They kinda of rubbed me the wrong way because they come off as pretentious and uncharming to a book that is suppose charm and win the hearts of the audiences. Somehow I wasn't buying into it and I get tons of heated hate from others when I voice my opinion about the book and the movie. If anything I agree with CinemaSins on this video about the movie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QY2mOlbHyHY

I enjoy watching John Green on his YouTube channel, but I do agree with Fearless Sissy that he a hit or miss type of author. I'm one of those readers that's not a fan of his books.
A book I did like when I was younger and was beginning to go through stages of Annette's chemo treatment was Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult. To me the book gives a little more respectful perspective of each family member's feelings on the whole deal of one of the daughters diagnosed with cancer at a very young age. It has a dramatic twist and turns without it insulting the readers and I felt like it was more grounded to reality. Plus Kate, who has cancer, does get a love story. So just like Fault in our Stars for some audiences this plot is sad too. I don't normally cry with plots, but this one got me when I read the book and watched the movie.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:35 pm 

Writing that all out for me was actually quite thoughtful of you; thank you; actually I hadn't been too familiar with John Green before any of this discussion. To be honest, I'm the sort who choked through tears not only through what I've mentioned, but also through Louisa May Alcott's novel Little Women so I might want to steer clear of any of the books so mentioned. Still, I really appreciate you all writing these replies out to me, and I'm sorry to hear that you've been through some of the same kind of pain that I've suffered through as well T_T

That being said, I don't like whenever someone gets on people because they criticize the characters independent of the story of a particular work of fiction. I'll have to check out the Cinema Sins video. I usually like his send-ups of movies, including ones that I actually like, so this should give me a pretty good overview overall anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:10 pm 

Hit a milestone - passed 4500 pages read in 2016 since I finished Van Gogh's Letters. Li'l proud.

Only doing 1x1s and tiny groups for now due being generally busy. If you have a cool idea, feel free to approach me, though, alas, even the most awesome adventures must be passed up on sometimes.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:31 am 

Medals: 1
1st Year (1)

@Aeromancer,
Awww, I can understand how Little Women can be sad. I read that book when I was 13 years old and I nearly cried in one scene with Beth, BUT I was in a classroom with a bunch of boys that I used to play soccer with in middle school. At that time I just sucked it up and pretend I wasn't going to lose it. I was such a tomboy at that time and still pretty much am today. I reread Little Women many times after my middle school because I love the book so much, though I absolutely adore Louisa May Alcott's Little Men <3

Lol you're welcome. I'm happy to help when I can.

Fearless Sissy wrote:
Hit a milestone - passed 4500 pages read in 2016 since I finished Van Gogh's Letters. Li'l proud.

Congratulations :D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:45 pm 

the stars look very different today ★

Medals: 5
Original RP (1) 1st Year (1)
2nd Year (1) Most Helpful Member (1)

Some time ago I finished a book called Magic Kingdom For Sale. It's an older fantasy novel about a guy who has no life, friends, and future because his wife has died. He finds a magic kingdom for sale in a wishbook, buys it, finds out he's king and has to defeat an evil being that hasn't been thwarted by plenty of past buyers. I thought the beginning was pretty solid, set up an interesting premise, made you empathize with the character. The world itself was interesting enough, albeit generic. And then Willow showed up and ruined everything.
Okay, she didn't really ruin everything, but she really brought down the enjoyment of the whole novel for me. She's a nymph that the main character sees naked in a pond, and that means that he owns her. She really serves no purpose except to be an extremely weak love interest that simpers and looks really attractive.
The rest of the book is a standard fantasy romp that ends with an anticlimactic fight sequence. Not really worth the time but for some reason I was compelled to finish what I started.

View Likes PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:28 pm 

So I've been wanting to read The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time practically ever since @Fearless Sissy mentioned it on this board, but I've been unable to find it since the local library sucks.
Turns out my mom owns it.
I read it in one sitting, and it was a rollercoaster ride with several moments that made me pause and contemplate for a while. It really hits home to me because my brother is high functioning autistic, and it comforts me to know just a little bit what it's like in his world.

I'm currently rereading two books I haven't read in a number of years: The Eyre Affair, and The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared.

I also read The Cursed Child since a friend had it. It was pretty rubbish. Not going into detail on that because it's too much effort.

Post subject: 2016 reading thread!
View Likes PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:04 am 

@Cotton If you like the 100 Y/O, you should ABSOLUTELY look into more by Jonas Jonasson! 'The Illiterate Who Could Do Math' is amazing in every way (and has a black female protagonist!). I'm glad you enjoyed The Curious Case, too! I really enjoyed all the notes and diagrams and everything in it in particular.

I have decided to pretend TCC doesn't exist. I haven't read the script, but tons of impressions of it, and - yeah. Not worth it, as much as I love Harry Potter.

Sent from t̗͈ͥ͒͒̅̑̿h̺ͣ̑̐̎̑̇͝ẹ͇͊ͤͅ ̗̝͖̠͍͔̺ͣ̓͆͐̕v̶͂̒͗oͭ̀̌̉̿ỉ̉̌̒̓̈͌͠d̛̤̻͖̂͊͗̈͑ using Tapatalk

View Likes PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:36 am 

It seems we have a very similar taste in fiction! I'll be sure to check it out, thanks c:
I also felt like a simpleton reading Curious Incident because I was on The Monty Hall Problem page for probably five minutes, concentrating really hard.
And the only good thing I can say about TCC is that Scorpius is a pretty decent character. Not bad for a kid made from Voldemort's sperm (at least that's what the kids at Hogwarts say about him. WTF, Rowling?).