All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2016 reading thread!
View Likes PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:21 pm 

you catch more flies with honey but you catch more honeys being fly

Medals: 8
Best Entrance (1) Creative (1)
1st Year (1) 2nd Year (1)
Blog: View Blog (0)

The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey

Post apocalyptic without being dystopian. The point of view for the first few chapters can be a bit daunting and hard to follow, as it is essentially one big flash back with hints of real-time action mixed in, but it is almost due to the point of view that I enjoyed this book so much.

The book follows Cassie, and her take (as well as other characters' opinions) about the past and coming "waves" of the apocalypse, as brought on by an E.T. force as they wait for humanity to wipe itself off the face of the earth. I picked it up as a sort of joke to see what this movie hype was about, and then I suddenly couldn't put it down.

_________Obscure__________Rules
__________Updates___________CF Guide
___________Contests___________Staff Contact
____________Ask the Staff________Posting Tutorial

__________Cirque du Creativité

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:54 pm 

Sort of back.

Medals: 16
Longest RP (1) Completed RP (2)
Dedicated Partner (1) Most Patient (3)
Blog: View Blog (59)

Oh, that one is definitely making my list. =) Thanks for sharing, Moose!

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
View Likes PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:15 pm 

eye of newt, tail of newt... rest of newt...

Medals: 12
Best Couple (1) 1st Year (1)
2nd Year (1) 3rd Year (1)

Finished another one!

"The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time" by Mark Haddon
A very touching book about a teenage boy with Asperger's Syndrome and his quest to solve the mystery of who killed his neighbor's dog. It's really cool and an easy read (although by no means anything I'd classify as a children's book).

Sent from t̗͈ͥ͒͒̅̑̿h̺ͣ̑̐̎̑̇͝ẹ͇͊ͤͅ ̗̝͖̠͍͔̺ͣ̓͆͐̕v̶͂̒͗oͭ̀̌̉̿ỉ̉̌̒̓̈͌͠d̛̤̻͖̂͊͗̈͑ using Tapatalk

Only doing 1x1s and tiny groups for now due being generally busy. If you have a cool idea, feel free to approach me, though, alas, even the most awesome adventures must be passed up on sometimes.
invisgmt+1 + 6th semester university student = patience please ♥

View Likes PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:26 pm 

Sort of back.

Sounds neat! Updating =)

View Likes PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:04 pm 

the stars look very different today ★

Medals: 5
Original RP (1) 1st Year (1)
2nd Year (1) Most Helpful Member (1)

Barbie: A Surprise for a Friend by Kellee Riley
The story of a girl named Barbie and her friends' quest to throw a party for her, for once. Barbie is always planning events and parties for others, so one day her friends plan a beach party, with Barbie as the guest of honour, but complications arise that end up making the party even better than before!
A good, simple read with nice pictures and amusing puns. Teaches about the true meaning of fun and friendship. However, the main character, Barbie, seems a bit Mary Sue. This 15-page book is still an all-around good read for those who are extremely bored and on the toilet. It also comes with stickers and Valentine's cards!
(seriously though I need to start reading more -actual- books)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:06 pm 

Sort of back.

lol
That sounds like a fun read indeed! =) And this thread is full of cool suggestions, so maybe it's a good place to choose a few?

View Likes PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:10 pm 

the stars look very different today ★

Medals: 5
Original RP (1) 1st Year (1)
2nd Year (1) Most Helpful Member (1)

oh my god you actually put it on the list

and yes, I have a sticky note full of suggestions. I'm planning a library raid soon.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:16 pm 

Sort of back.

lol Of course, I had to take this chance XD

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:43 am 

Completed RP (1) Most Patient (4)
Most Punctual (1) 1st Year (1)

I just finished [b]The Truce at Bakura[/i] by Kathy Tyers. I haven't read this novel in around 18 years, but I figured it would be good to see how much Star Wars prose changed in that time. It was a lot different reading it this time especially since I was a little kid the last time I read it. The characterizations actually sort of make everyone on both sides of the conflict look like they're out for themselves, which is a really interesting take on the story. Also, though I sometimes say that media-based science fiction has gotten longer over the years, this book kind of has a strike against me in that respect since it was a full 311 pages long. It was really interesting looking back on the story as an adult and having a totally different perspective of it.

Post subject: 2016 reading thread!
View Likes PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:42 am 

So after an arduous battle during which I developed a personal dislike of the book and an intense determination to finish, I finally did it: "The Teleportation Accident" by Ned Beauman (sp)

It's apparently historical fiction, but the main character (whom I was for a good 30 pages towards the END of the book not certain about whether he really was the main character or not, never a good thing) deliberately and elaborately avoids anything that's going on, thus not rendering it very 'historical' at all. Ugh.

UUUUUUGGHHH. Probably going to review it later to get rid of some more frustrations.

Sent from t̗͈ͥ͒͒̅̑̿h̺ͣ̑̐̎̑̇͝ẹ͇͊ͤͅ ̗̝͖̠͍͔̺ͣ̓͆͐̕v̶͂̒͗oͭ̀̌̉̿ỉ̉̌̒̓̈͌͠d̛̤̻͖̂͊͗̈͑ using Tapatalk

Only doing 1x1s and tiny groups for now due being generally busy. If you have a cool idea, feel free to approach me, though, alas, even the most awesome adventures must be passed up on sometimes.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:42 am 

Medals: 2
1st Year (1) Supporter (1)

Since the start of 2016 I have finished one series of Novels and am now halfway through another. Both of which I highly recromend to Dresden Files readers.

Lets start with the one I finished. The Felix Castor Series by Mike Carey

The Devil You Know
Vicious Circle
Dead Men's Boots
Thicker than Water
The Naming of the Beasts

This series follows a London exorcist by the name of Felix "Fix" Castor who is,at the start of the series, going back into being an exorcist after wrongfully trying to exorcise a demon out of his close friend. In this series he acts as a paranormal expert trying to make ends meet.

This caught my attention right from the get go. At first I thought he was just an english version of Dresden but after a few chapters it dragged me into its world.

The series I am on now is named Sandman Slim by Richard Kadrey
I am currently on book 3 and I just can't seam to put the series down.

Sandman Slim
Kill the Dead
Aloha from Hell
Devil Said Bang
Kill City Blues
The Gateway God
Killing Pretty

a 19 year old magician who is in love gets betrayed by his friends and gets sent to hell. 11 years later he is back for revenge. And it just gets better from there.

The main character is a straight up sarcastic hardheaded rebel. Stark is just my favorite type of Protagonist, he isn't in it for anyone other than himself and revenge and he stops at nothing to prove it. If I had to compare him to Dresden, I would say Sandman Slim is to Dresden as Lucifer is to Gabriel. To top it off its set in Hell,Heaven,and Hollywood.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:25 am 

Rping on Weekends!

Medals: 3
Hero of the Month (1) Longest RP (1)
1st Year (1)

Oh Man, honestly the best book that I've read this year and in the past has been the Red Rising series by Pierce Brown. Think "Epic Greek/Roman Tragedy Space Opera with Immense lore and Mythos" SOOOOOOOOOOO GOOD. Much bloodier than the Hunger Games as well. Think of it as a awesome rated R movie but as a book. Last book in the trilogy came out not to long ago and my bestie on this site Dreamgurl42 got it for me as a gift and sent it through the mail. Finished it and it was satisfying.

"Life is composed of light and shadows, and we would be untruthful, insincere, and saccharine if we tried to pretend there were no shadows"

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:24 am 

Sort of back.

Neat! I'll add them to the OP! Thanks for sharing! =)

View Likes PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:44 pm 

Teller of Tales and Magical Myths

Finished American Gods! Woohoo! It was so good. <3

Now I'm reading The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. It's fantastic, which surprised me because it's written in present tense which I usually don't like. AND the interludes are in 2nd person which I HATE, but they are very short and not intrusive at all. The story is about two magicians (Celia and Marco) who are bound into a magical duel as children. They compete against one another at the Night Circus in different ways. It's an easy read and very compelling and it makes me want to go to the circus. :D

My Resume

View Likes PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:55 am 

Completed RP (1) Most Patient (4)
Most Punctual (1) 1st Year (1)

I just got done reading a couple of pretty weighty chess books that I had borrowed from someone and had sitting around while I did work on the computer. Naturally I work a lot on the computer, so I would read while waiting for something to finish up or load. Regardless, they were still pretty thick. The Oxford Companion to Chess is written like an encyclopedia, but I really appreciated that it had sections on fairy chess and shogi. For those who aren't familiar, shogi is a Japanese chess game that I actually have begun to prefer to chess because it doesn't have all the problems with tons of games ending in draws that chess does. Fairy chess involves using extra pieces or different boards from standard chess.

James Howell's Essential Chess Endings: The Tournament Player's Guide was much more straightforward, and was merely focused on mating situations as the name suggests.

I think I'm the nerdiest person here now.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:20 pm 

Sort of back.

I've been so busy it took me a while to finish another one.

Just finished a set of short stories by Lovecraft, part of the Cthulhu Mythos. The stories are:

1. The horror in clay
2. The Tale of Inspector Legrasse
3. The Madness from the Sea
4. The Dunwich Horror
5. The whisperer in darkness
7. The haunter of the Dark

The first three are all under the title "The call of Cthulhu". Some of them are better than others, but I have to admit I really love reading Lovecraft's stories. I don't know if he does it for everyone, but I can most definitely close my eyes and see very clearly what he describes. 10/10 recommend.

View Likes PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:45 am 

Man, I haven't been reading nearly as much as I'd have liked to either - gotta back in there!

I do have a book of short stories by H P Lovecraft that I bought about two years ago. Still haven't read it, woops!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:21 pm 

Sort of back.

Just finished "Crooked House", by Agatha Christie (bear with me, you'll see lots of detective stories on my read list as it's my favorite genre).

It's about the investigation of the murder of an old patriarch, and everyone in the family is a suspect until proven otherwise. Without giving spoilers, I can only say that the murderer was at the same time the most and least obvious, and I couldn't figure it out until the very last chapter. 10/10 recommend.

View Likes PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:50 pm 

Agatha Christie is great with crime novels and the whole obvious deception thing. My sister is reading one of hers rn (not sure of the English title, might be 'Murder In The Sun' or smth) for English class where they're going to analyze structure of storytelling and stuff like that.

Also, I just finished my book, finally! 'The Little Old Lady Who Broke All The Rules' by Christina Ingelman-Sundberg is about this old church choir who decide they'd rather live in a prison than a retirement home and they go off to commit crime. It's funny enough, but for anyone who's looking for wacky humor with a lot of loose ends that finally and perfectly come together in the end, I would really rather recommend anything by Jonas Jonasson. 'The Illiterate Who Could Do Math' had me howling, and 'The Hundred-Year-Old Who Jumped Out The Window And Disappeared' is supposed to be just as amazing. That one was also made into a pretty good movie that's faithful to the book from what I know.

View Likes PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:37 am 

This winter I read two books by Chinese author Liu Cixin: "The Three-body problem" and "The Dark Forest". Those two are the parts of the trilogy called "Remembrance of Earth’s Past". The last book is not translated into English yet, it's scheduled for coming in the autumn.
The author is claimed to be one of the most famous Chinese sci-fi writers, and I can totally see why. His books are classic "hard sci-fi" with plenty of details and theories.
The main plot of the story is about "the first contact". And it's really only about the contact and its influence on humans lives, not about the aliens themselves. The author gives us many theories about single human behaviors, about government behaviors, about scientists reactions on such event. And he even provides us with a hint of "cosmic sociology".
The only thing that annoyed me a little is that from time to time he seemed to be lost in the background of his characters. When he is describing someone's way of life he can literally depict day after day, even if all of this is not actually so important. But despite that fact, I really loved the books. I'm looking forward to reading the last one.

P.S. "The Martian" is brilliant! I've never read such an optimistic book about someone lost in space.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next