All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2016 reading thread!
View Likes PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:32 pm 

Sort of back.

Medals: 16
Longest RP (1) Completed RP (2)
Dedicated Partner (1) Most Patient (3)
Blog: View Blog (59)

So, I decided I won't open up the challenge thread this year, but more of a sharing thread.
If you are so inclined, share the books you read as the year goes by, and say a little something about them. If you loved them, hated them, are indifferent to them, etc. This way, we can all share our readings and maybe encourage our fellow bookworms to read up on some new authors!

I just ask that if you wish to debate the book at length, you take it to Private Messaging or other place where spoilers can't be given to those who haven't read, and also to keep the thread free of clutter. I will update this first post with the books people have read under their names, so none gets lost in the thread.

Have fun!

Shades
1 - The Strange Case of Peter the Lett (original name Pietr-le-Letton), Georges Simenon
2- Ordeal by Innocence, Agatha Christie

Fearless Sissy
1 - Our Tragic Universe, Scarlett Thomas
2- The Martian, Andy Weir
3- The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, Mark Haddon
4- The Teleportation Accident, Ned Beauman

Rose_Enthorne
1 - No Country for Old Men, Cormac McCarthy
2 - American Gods, Neil Gaiman

Eggsy

1- Mistborn: The Final Empire - Brandon Sanderson

Aeromancer
1 - Star Wars: the Force Awakens - Alan Dean Foster
2- The Truce at Bakura, Kathy Tyers

Rethwyn
1- Breath and Bone, Carol Berg
2- Waistcoats & Weaponry, Gail Carriger
3- Tower of Thorns, Juliet Marillier

Muse
1- The 5th Wave - Rick Yancey

Cotton
Barbie: A Surprise for a Friend, Kellee Riley

If you feel like creating a book log spreadsheet and share with us all, drop by this thread, created by @Fearless Sissy!

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
 Post subject: Re: 2016 reading thread!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:35 pm 

Sort of back.

The Strange Case of Peter the Lett - Georges Simenon

A detective novel, as many here know it is my preference. It features a Police Inspector called Jules Maigret (it's the first novel featuring him) who is on the chase for an international criminal. I won't go further as I don't want to give spoilers.

I highly recommend it, as it's a short novel, and very entertaining. Maigret is a very cool character in my opinion, and I'm pretty sure other books by the same author will appear on this list afterwards.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
View Likes PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:08 pm 

eye of newt, tail of newt... rest of newt...

Medals: 12
Best Couple (1) 1st Year (1)
2nd Year (1) 3rd Year (1)

You read my mind! I was thinking about putting a similar thread up yesterday! Wild =D I was inspired by someone making a book log in which they track their read books along with other interesting stats. I've made one myself here, and I think it'll be a fun project. Feel free to steal c;

Anyway, to books read!

Our Tragic Universe - Scarlett Thomas
'If Kelsey Newman's theory about the end of time is true, we are all going to live forever. But who would want that? Certainly not Meg, a bright spark trapped in a hopeless relationship. But if she can work out the connection between a wild beast on Dartmoor, a ship in a bottle, the science of time and a knitting pattern for the shape of the universe, she might just find a way out.'

Thus reads the text on the back of the book, but despite what it sounds like, this is neither fantasy nor science fiction. It's a sort of impressionist piece of literary fiction with a really nice flow, and I wholeheartedly recommend it, even though I find it hard to explain why.
There is just has something about it.

Only doing 1x1s and tiny groups for now due being generally busy. If you have a cool idea, feel free to approach me, though, alas, even the most awesome adventures must be passed up on sometimes.
invisgmt+1 + 6th semester university student = patience please ♥

View Likes PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:17 pm 

Sort of back.

Cool! Thanks for sharing that, I'll definitely be starting one for the year myself! It will be fun to track what I have been reading!
And adding you to the list. I'm really hoping more people will participate, so we can share notes on what attracts us! =)

View Likes PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:24 am 

Teller of Tales and Magical Myths

Blog: View Blog (0)

I've started 2016 off with American Gods by Neil Gaiman. Im 2/3rds into it and it's pretty good so far! I've been reading it all month though. I'm so slow. !sigh

I also finished No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy at the beginning of the year so I'm counting it for 2016! For such a short book it took me a long time to slug through it. It wasn't my favorite book but it had some great lines occasionally.

My Resume

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:15 am 

Sort of back.

Thanks for sharing, both added!

View Likes PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:31 am 

@Rose_Enthorne 'American Gods'! Thank you for reminding me, I totally want to read more Gaiman after 'The Ocean at the End of the Lane' (picked up on a whim), and AG has been recommended to me several times c:

Only doing 1x1s and tiny groups for now due being generally busy. If you have a cool idea, feel free to approach me, though, alas, even the most awesome adventures must be passed up on sometimes.

View Likes PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:17 pm 

Teller of Tales and Magical Myths

Fearless Sissy wrote:
@Rose_Enthorne 'American Gods'! Thank you for reminding me, I totally want to read more Gaiman after 'The Ocean at the End of the Lane' (picked up on a whim), and AG has been recommended to me several times c:

I was introduced to him and Terry Pratchett at the same time when a friend forced me to read 'Good Omens'. I found it difficult to understand at first (in that disjointed literature kind of way you know?) but once I got the flow of the book I devoured it! Of the two I liked Gaiman's style better so AG is my first glimpse at a work that's all his.

My Resume

View Likes PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:26 pm 

eyy, senpai!

Medals: 14
GM of the Month (1) Longest RP (2)
Completed RP (1) Best Entrance (1)
Blog: View Blog (3)

I'm reading Mistborn: The Final Empire. It's pretty rad so far, and I'm probably gonna end up reading the rest of the series at some point as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:47 am 

Sort of back.

@Eggsy - who is da author, m8? (Yeah, I'm lazy)

View Likes PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:52 pm 

eyy, senpai!

Medals: 14
GM of the Month (1) Longest RP (2)
Completed RP (1) Best Entrance (1)
Blog: View Blog (3)

@Shades - Brandon Sanderson

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:01 pm 

Sort of back.

Thanks, m8! =)

View Likes PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:39 pm 

Medals: 8
Completed RP (1) Most Patient (4)
Most Punctual (1) 1st Year (1)

I finished Alan Dean Foster's novelization of Star Wars: the Force Awakens. In some ways it's drastically different from the movie, and he seems to be keen on drawing in an aspect or two of his original 1970s-era novelization of the original movie. The book actually mentions concepts like the religious text called the Journal of the Whills, and several characters are described rather differently. I always like reading film novelizations since they're so often very different from the movies that they're based on. Last year I read the original Alan Dean Foster book, so I'm glad that they were able to get him for this project as well.

View Likes PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:28 pm 

I've always been iffy about movie-to-book, so it's pretty cool to hear about one that turned out well! =)

Just popping by to tell @Eggsy that if he wasn't planning to already, he needs to read 'The Martian' by Andy Weir (you reblogged a picture from it relatively recently). I'm a good 4/5ths done with it myself, and it is SO funny, mixing my beloved journal-esque narrative with some sensible sci-fi. Mmmm. Talk science to me.

View Likes PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:20 am 

Medals: 8
Completed RP (1) Most Patient (4)
Most Punctual (1) 1st Year (1)

I haven't read the Martian yet, but maybe I should. See, I'm such a big fan of the real life space program I tend to get nitpicky, but I don't want to sound unfair at the same time when someone compares a work of science fiction to real life. Does that make sense?

As I mentioned to someone here before, I actually recently decided to re-read The Little Mermaid. I haven't in a long time, and I forgot just how tragic it is for the main character. While it's excellently written, at least in the translation I'm reading, the story seems rather like a fatalistic comment on what happens when you endlessly chase a dream.

View Likes PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:27 am 

@Aeromancer 'The Little Mermaid' is one of my FAVORITE HCA fairy tales, if not my favorite. i cri evry tiem. But yeah, fatalistic is a good word to describe it. HCA wasn't a very happy dude a lot of the time, and I find a lot of his stories very upsetting upon closer reading. There's one about like, a pine tree that just dreams and dreams of becoming a beautiful Christmas tree, and then it is and it's so happy and proud - and then it gets thrown away and rots with all its ornaments on. Either that, or it's chipped up and made into matches. It's been a long time since I read it. But I remember it not being a very cheery Christmas tale.

And yes, absolutely read 'The Martian'. It's funny and takes place so relatively far in the future that I don't think your nitpickyness will get triggered :P

View Likes PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:52 pm 

So far this year I've read:

"Breath and Bone" by Carol Berg (the second book in her Lighthouse duology) - This was a new author for me, and I absolutely love her writing. She has some beautifully done world-building and concepts, and compelling characters that have as many flaws as the rest of us, even if they're doing something heroic.

"Waistcoats & Weaponry" by Gail Carriger (the third book in her Finishing School trilogy) - I love Gail Carriger's books, because they're frequently hilarious. All three of the series she's written in are based in the same world, and are this fun combination of intrigue-steampunk-supernatural-comedy of manners. They make for great light reading.

"Tower of Thorns" by Juliet Marillier (the second book in her Blackthorn and Grim series) - Juliet Marillier has been one of my all time favorite authors for years, and this is her newest series she's started. Blackthorn and Grim have this great dynamic, where Blackthorn is usually prickly and on edge, and Grim is patient and knows when to say something and when to stay quiet, which tends to smooth some of her prickles. Marillier's writing is usually based in Scottish and Irish folklore, and tends to be fairly lyrical, with characters you can relate to.

View Likes PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:15 pm 

Sort of back.

Added, thanks! =)

View Likes PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:39 pm 

The Martian - Andy Weir
A hilarious and exhilarating space Robinson Crusoe. Highly recommended, even if sci-fi isn't typically your genre.

Also started and ploughed through half of 'The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time' today. It's shaping up to be real emotional.

View Likes PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:55 pm 

Sort of back.

Just finished Ordeal by Innocence, by Agatha Christie, today. It deals with a family whose matriarch has been murdered and one of the sons arrested for it. Two years later, someone comes up with a piece of evidence that proves that the son could not have done it. A new investigation then starts to figure out who actually committed the crime. It was a really nice story, and although I did figure out the actual killer before the ending, it was still a lot of fun to follow the story and it has given me the seed for a roleplay idea.