All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:00 pm 

Blog: View Blog (0)

Hi, all. I've recently been pining for books to read, and it just is getting aggravating because I can't find a book that somewhat fits the requirements that I am looking for. So I hope someone can help me out here.
Is there a book that combines childhood-adolescent romance, adventure, magic/science fiction with a setting in a European city like Paris or Venice? A YA fiction book? I'm thinking of a setting alike to The Thief Lord, which is a children's book based in Venice, Italy. In The Thief Lord, there's a group of misfits (young children and teenagers) who steal in order to survive and are lead by a "Thief Lord" who is actually the heir to a very rich man he despises. The world that Cornelia Funke created was very rich and imaginative, the city on water with goblins, lions, cathedrals, magnificent architecture and magical merry-go-rounds. There is no romance in this particular book. Keep in mind that I want a book where the characters are not older than 18. An innocent first love kind of thing, you know? The boy meets the girl by chance in the city, they may be separated by being in different economical situations, adventure ensues and onwards! Sorry... I am a child so I guess anyone can see rather how immature my taste in books are. I just really want a book, ASAP!

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:09 am 

eye of newt, tail of newt... rest of newt...

Medals: 12
Best Couple (1) 1st Year (1)
2nd Year (1) 3rd Year (1)
Blog: View Blog (59)

Well, unfortunately I don't think I can point you towards any YA fantasy books with any particular romance - at least not the two elements combined! I will, however, recommend these:

The Haunting of Alaizabel Cray by Chris Wooding. This takes place in mock-Victorian London, which happens to be infested with demons. Fun fun fun for our protagonist!
    Storm Thief by Chris Wooding (again, because he's really an amazing author). This is not fun. This is terrible and soulwrenching. But it's such a good book, and it's incredibly immersive and vivid. Adventure and sci-fi, as well as thieving (which is what made me think of this) covered here.
    Cinder by Marissa Meyer. Now, this had both aspects of romance and a sci-fi setting. It is not, however, based in Europe, but rather a futuristic China. I did a review of it on my blog recently if you're curious for more! It's a part of a series (this is the first book), and I highly suspect the romance will develop into something more.
    Glass Houses by Rachel Caine. Honestly one of the only (super overdone) vampire books I genuinely like. Claire, the main character, is 17, and her friends are a little older (there's a good reason for that which you'll find out when you read), and I guess adventure and romance is covered here. (Don't worry, she doesn't fall in love with a vampire. The vamps are the bad guys. Refreshing!). This is part of a huuuuge series which I believe is about 15, 16 books by now, called 'The Morganville Vampires'. I've read 8 of them, and I think they're worth checking out.
    The Iron Thorn by ?. I don't remember who wrote this book, as it is not one I own, but borrowed from my local library. It's some more steampunk adventure with the beginnings of romance, but nothing big. This is, as far as I understand, also part of a series.

Best of luck on your search ^^

Only doing 1x1s and tiny groups for now due being generally busy. If you have a cool idea, feel free to approach me, though, alas, even the most awesome adventures must be passed up on sometimes.
invisgmt+1 + 6th semester university student = patience please ♥

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:15 am 

Wandering through uncharted space...

Location: Canada... Somewhere in the North of Kere's Domain...
Medals: 6
Best Group RP (1) Longest RP (1)
1st Year (1) Most Helpful Member (1)
Blog: View Blog (3)

I don't know that it would help you any, but my recommendation for a YA romance series would be:

Chronicles of Nick by Sherrilyn Kenyon. Infitinity that should take you to the webpage for the first book. I'd not do justice to the series if I tried to give you a synopsis so I'll just link to the author's website.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:24 pm 

Blog: View Blog (0)

Hmm. Not sure what you mean by a "child", exactly? But based on your writing I'm supposing you may be in your early teens, so perhaps this might work....

The girl who was tutoring my daughter over the summer (who is also the daughter of a friend) was all into this novel called 'The Enchanter.' (by Joanne Wadsworth, as I see from the web) It's actually #3 in a trilogy, about certain select people from earth crossing over into this other world. It sounds like its got most of the things you're looking for, except the European angle. But, I understand the author writes a lot of historical/romantic fiction, and it has that sort of a feel to it, even though it is (predominantly) a fantasy setting.

Good luck in your quest!

-Heather Nova, Winter Blue

Hawkgirl: "Standard interrogation technique. I was bad cop."
Superman: "You're always bad cop."
Hawkgirl: "Why play against type?"
Urd: "I'll just be Santa's little helper...so to speak."