All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View Likes PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:18 pm 

PLaying SQUAD with TASQ

Medals: 6
Longest RP (1) 1st Year (1)
2nd Year (1) Most Helpful Member (1)
Blog: View Blog (8)

I had another great day. The kids were off from school and I spent more than a few hours writing. I set a writing goal to achieve and I hit it, plus some.

I actually did hit a block a few days ago. I had written my story up to a decent place and I knew where I wanted to end up and which characters I wanted where, but I didn't know how to get there. So I wrote about a dozen sentences depicting the steps to get there. These sentences set the scenes. They were an outline for me. Each of those sentences has generated over 2,000 words each day that I have written about them.

When I am writing, I get in a zone. I picture everything that is happening in my mind and it simply spills out onto the paper (MSWord). I don't care about how Good or Bad it is right now. All I care about right now is getting these ideas down on paper. Once I have completed it, It is the first draft and the fi rst draft only. I have no intention of ever publishing a first draft. I will spend December and maybe even January rewriting and editing it. then it will be done.

NaNoWriMo has forced me to write something, good or bad. Once I have that raw story to work with, then I can turn it into an epic piece of science fiction! :D

ImageImage

My Characters
My Writing Styles
Galileo Corporation
Modern Wargaming Rules
Bakushima; Fantasy Feudal Japan

Best Days for RPing
Fri - Sun

Attitude | +
"The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude to me is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than success, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, gift, or skill. It will make or break a company...a church...a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past...we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10 percent what happens to me and 90 percent how I react to it. And so it is with you... we are in charge of our attitudes. "
~ Charles Swindoll

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
View Likes PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:21 am 

Blog: View Blog (1)

I'm starting to realize that doing your first draft of your novel is kind of like opening a puzzle box, throwing it onto the table, and saying 'tada!'

This thing will need some re-working :D

Take a look at My Resume

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:15 pm 

I am not participating this year myself, but take heart! Neil Gaiman believes in you!
http://nanowrimo.org/pep-talks/neil-gaiman

View Likes PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:35 pm 

Sort of back.

Medals: 16
Longest RP (1) Completed RP (2)
Dedicated Partner (1) Most Patient (3)
Blog: View Blog (59)

@Corrin : This is pretty much how I feel. I start a chapter with a plan, and things to their own way, with me trying to chase the ideas and grab their tail so I don't get left behind lol.

It's pretty much why I'm not even worrying about the word count, since every chapter grows from handwriting to typing and I'm pretty sure they'll nearly double once I do the editing process.

...someone send help. And by help, I mean coffee. And food.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:14 pm 

Administrator

Medals: 13
Best Death (1) Best Group RP (1)
Completed RP (1) Dedicated Partner (1)
Blog: View Blog (0)

I've been so drained... November just has not been a good month. I have not had the drive to get any more writing done . I don't want to give up, but there is always next year. I probably won't get much further than I am now... I haven't even hit the 5k mark yet.

Just too much **** going on. It's one thing after the other.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:02 pm 

Wandering through uncharted space...

Location: Canada... Somewhere in the North of Kere's Domain...
Best Group RP (1) Longest RP (1)
1st Year (1) Most Helpful Member (1)
Blog: View Blog (3)

I'm thinking that more then just one month to write is more fun then just one month to cram it all in. Sil we can always keep going with smaller goals. Set a more reasonable goal for a month? That way we still get to the end of our novels, but don't end up giving up or putting asite the RL crap or feeling like where not acomplishing our goals.

View Likes PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:20 pm 

Administrator

Medals: 13
Best Death (1) Best Group RP (1)
Completed RP (1) Dedicated Partner (1)
Blog: View Blog (0)

That might be more reasonable, yeah. One of my New Year's Resolutions, because I still believe in those, they do work sometimes, is to finish what I start. Even it takes awhile, I want the satisfaction.

View Likes PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:24 pm 

Sort of back.

Honestly, since November is being a super busy month for me, I have set my own goal. Namely, to finish the novel draft this month, by doing something (usually a chapter) per day, regardless of the word count. I know it'll expand a lot once I get to the editing and polishing phase, so I'm now just getting the ideas out there and setting the order for my novel.

Once I stopped focusing on the word count, the ideas started flowing a lot more freely in the days I actually have the time to sit and write.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:31 pm 

That's exactly what I am doing as well Shades. Is just writing and not carring about word count.

View Likes PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:39 pm 

Sort of back.

Yeah, getting hung up on how many words stunts my writing big time. I'm focusing much more on reaching the next milestone in the story.

View Likes PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:53 pm 

It's exactly why I don't focus on word count because I would go craycray and wouldn't be able to write at all.

View Likes PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:57 pm 

Sort of back.

I can't 'go' cray-cray. I'm already there and establishing residence.

View Likes PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:23 pm 

There any place left? in this residence?

View Likes PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:33 pm 

Sort of back.

For you, plenty! =D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:58 pm 

PLaying SQUAD with TASQ

I also am focusing more on the content, but checking the word count about once an hour or two. It does require time and if the ideas are flowing like an open tap, all it takes is a pair of fast hands to catch them on your keyboard.

ImageImage

My Characters
My Writing Styles
Galileo Corporation
Modern Wargaming Rules

Best Days for RPing
Fri - Sun

Attitude | +
"The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude to me is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than success, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, gift, or skill. It will make or break a company...a church...a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past...we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10 percent what happens to me and 90 percent how I react to it. And so it is with you... we are in charge of our attitudes. "
~ Charles Swindoll

View Likes PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:23 pm 

My apartment hasn't had water for the past two days due to a waterpipe burst that the city can't seem to fix...

Is it just a coincidence that I'm writing a story about a Water Hunter?

All these issues though have been a distraction, and I'm a day behind now. I have to catch up! I have to do this!

Take a look at My Resume

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:30 pm 

Sort of back.

Ugh, that sucks. Being without water is a big pain.
I hope this at least inspires you, and that the city gets water running back.

Go, you can do it!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:14 pm 

PLaying SQUAD with TASQ

I have finally arrived at THE setting. You know that point in the book when your painting the scene for hte climax. The climax is about to arrive, but you need to take your time adn hammer out every tiny little detail? Well that is where I am. I should update my word count. I went over 38K this afternoon.

ImageImage

My Characters
My Writing Styles
Galileo Corporation
Modern Wargaming Rules

Best Days for RPing
Fri - Sun

Attitude | +
~ Charles Swindoll

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:18 am 

Sort of back.

Not even upgrading the count anymore. Past few days have left me little to no time for writing. I'm about to introduce the one fact that will get the major plot point rolling, so story wise, I'm pretty satisfied with the progress. Word count... yeah, not even close to being able to reach 50k by the end of the month.

On another note, just watched this video here about writing villains, and I was wondering... what is your villain like? Do you have one villainous person? A group? A whole world? (Goes for all). For mine, I have one person, but it's really hard to define her as of now.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:50 am 

PLaying SQUAD with TASQ

I have a character who could be a villain. The line between good and bad is gray. Depending on how things go, he could go either way.
My primary villain is more a businessman than anything else, but his business is evil. I have never defined what has put him on the course of evil and will need to flesh that out in the edits. But he has a very large organization of evil people. Technically there are two groups of antagonists. One is minor now, but will be the predominant evil group in the second book. In a third book, it is m ore of a political thriller. The bad guy is in house and needs to be rooted out of the homeworld. Yes, I have ideas for three books along this same thread. This NaNo Challenge has really helped me to get these ideas out of my head and onto the paper. I love it.

ImageImage

My Characters
My Writing Styles
Galileo Corporation
Modern Wargaming Rules

Best Days for RPing
Fri - Sun

Attitude | +
~ Charles Swindoll

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next