All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:50 am 

Wandering through uncharted space...

Location: Canada... Somewhere in the North of Kere's Domain...
Medals: 6
Best Group RP (1) Longest RP (1)
1st Year (1) Most Helpful Member (1)
Blog: View Blog (3)

My villain is two folds. The one you believe is the villain from the start of the story is the main baddy character. Or the father of my main character, but no one knows that yet.... And than there is the invading army of nightmare that is trying to take over the world in order to gain access to the whole galaxy. The second or main villain.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:36 am 

Sort of back.

Medals: 16
Longest RP (1) Completed RP (2)
Dedicated Partner (1) Most Patient (3)
Blog: View Blog (59)

I think my trouble defining my villain is that, if things go according to plan, she'll snap and start doing things, it's not a... planned thing/in her overall nature.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
View Likes PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:38 am 

Administrator

Medals: 13
Best Death (1) Best Group RP (1)
Completed RP (1) Dedicated Partner (1)
Blog: View Blog (0)

I don't really have a main villain. The lines are kind of blurred everywhere, so it's up to the reader to decide who/what is considered 'villainous'.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:44 am 

I know that feeling Sil! See the villains are not really villains in my tale either, but they are perceived as such by the main charie because of what they did. But to the other side they were wronged a long time ago and exacting vengeance and trying to set things right... So much blurring of the lines. But central to it all is the fight against the destroyer. So there is a actual villain but you never meet him as he's a puppet master making things happen while pulling the right strings and whispering in the background. Never acting in the open.

View Likes PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:10 am 

Blog: View Blog (1)

Grey characters are great. Though I felt my story needs some straight forward villains. Just need them to have some depth, and maybe they aren't all 'black', but just dark grey at most.

Well, I kind of have five, but not really. It's grey for most, except maybe two/three.

First there's Raze, she's dangerous and a long time friend of the main character, Keinko. She wears skull paint to look frightening, and believes she has no choice but to be cold and violent, as it's what the world demands, even if it eats her up. At first she's told to kill Keinko, and not to reveal too much, but she tries to help him so it doesn't turn out that way. So she's a villian who we find out isn't really a villain (but she may have to turn on him...).

Then there's Aspen. He's a classic cold killer sent out to kill Keinko, a graceful assasin. He seems cold at first, but he's a thinker, and he has a bit of a moral compass, and he knows something is off. He also doesn't like killing innocents, especially kids... but he may have to at some point. He may not turn around as a villain, but he isn't as cold as he first seems at least.

Then there's Overlord Kordobaan, he's the main baddy and runs the Vex, a gang of killers who control the land (and controls Raze and Aspen). He's a soft spoken but also paranoid character. When he strikes a deal with Keinko, he still thinks Keinko and raze are trying to run and sends out Aspen. Aspen is Kordobaan's right hand, and Aspen needs to follow all of the overlord's orders, even if Aspen doesn't agree with them. Lord Kordobaan ends up being Raze's main villain.

Then we have Cin. She's kind of a side villain who pushes Keinko, and is from a rival gang of the Vex, the Blood Wolves. She's a psychopath in all sense of the word. She pretends and manipulates, and is damn convincing. She also get's a pleasure from hurting. It's a girl that Keinko saved and 'fell in love with', but she ended up stealing all of his water and stabbing him, leaving him for dead. This is Keinko's main villain, as he's struggling with the need to kill (which got him in that mess in the first place).

Then we have Shale, he shows up only once in this book, in the prologue, and kills Keinko's father. He's a bit crazy, a loose screw, but also vindictive and uncaring. Going after Shale is Keinko's main motivation, to free himself of the water debt to go out and free his father's spirit (as spirits gets tied to the person who killed them if it's an unclean death). He's going to show up in the next book.

Hopefully it's not too many baddies, but I feel it's a good balance, as this world kind of demands a lot of bad guys.

Take a look at My Resume

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:07 pm 

Someone on the nanowrimo forums took my request and did a sketch of Raze!

http://41.media.tumblr.com/a73d7679aa21c7423c4bd4f83ac1e7a5/tumblr_ny0e6xAmRp1u2z8jvo3_1280.jpg

Not exactly as I imagined her, and it's strange seeing what I see in black in white. I feel the white and black skull is a lot more impactful with her blue eyes, and her blond and hot pink hair.

I'm thinking of trying to color it, just for the heck of it.

Take a look at My Resume

View Likes PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:33 pm 

Administrator

Seeing how other people imagine my characters look like has always been something that both amuses me, and interests me personally.

That looks pretty damn cool.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:30 am 

PLaying SQUAD with TASQ

Longest RP (1) 1st Year (1)
2nd Year (1) Most Helpful Member (1)
Blog: View Blog (8)

The sketch looks great even if she doesn't look like how you imagined. How did you describe her to the artist? I also have asked some artists to help with cover art. My request went out at the beginning of this, 19 days ago and I still haven't seen anything yet. Since my story is about space ships and futuristic battles on distant planets, the art I'm looking for has a lot do with ships. I described those for the potential artists.

ImageImage

My Characters
My Writing Styles
Galileo Corporation
Modern Wargaming Rules
Bakushima; Fantasy Feudal Japan

Best Days for RPing
Fri - Sun

Attitude | +
"The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude to me is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than success, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, gift, or skill. It will make or break a company...a church...a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past...we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10 percent what happens to me and 90 percent how I react to it. And so it is with you... we are in charge of our attitudes. "
~ Charles Swindoll

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:33 am 

Sort of back.

I would advise always checking with your chosen artist if you can use reference pictures to give them ideas in specifics you want, such as a position, or a specific detail, making it clear it's only a reference. I have done it before, giving artists some reference material, and I haven't gotten disappointed so far, result wise.

View Likes PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:38 am 

What Shades says is true. As an artist referencel images are worth their weight in gold!

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:02 pm 

If anyone wants character art I have a thread on here where I take requests and commission. But I will say I am slow and have two lined up first to finish off.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:34 am 

Gunther wrote:
The sketch looks great even if she doesn't look like how you imagined. How did you describe her to the artist? I also have asked some artists to help with cover art. My request went out at the beginning of this, 19 days ago and I still haven't seen anything yet. Since my story is about space ships and futuristic battles on distant planets, the art I'm looking for has a lot do with ships. I described those for the potential artists.

I'm not dissapointed. She came out mostly like I imagined her. I also gave reference pics (mostly for the make-up). I described the make-up as something between zombie boy and candy skull face paint from dia de los muertos. He did the face paint fairly well. I just feel it was mostly zombie boy, and needed a bit more dia de los muertos like this:

I imagined her having a bit more of a 'thin' face, I suppose because she lives in a harsh world with little food. However the sketch still works very well. The more I look at the picture, the more it looks like Raze. She also looks the right age (18).

Also I guess I see her in color. Most of the time when I think of a character, I see their hair color, skin color, and eye color. Seeing her in black and white throws it off a bit. I want to try and color her myself, though I'm not too talented with that. I imagine her with blond/silver hair streaked with hot pink (almost blood red). Her bright blue eyes should be striking with the white and black make-up on. So I'll give it a shot when the month is done.

Yeah it took a while for this, as I submitted near the beginning, but this guy was dishing out sketches every few days, so I was lucky. I also asked for a book cover from someone I liked, and they said mine is next (she even said it was half done), but it has been a while since she let me know any updates. She's also doing Nano, so I doubt she'll get to it before the end though.

Hope you get yours done!

On a side not, I fell behind and was worried for a while. Today I got back on track, just surpassing where I should be by this date! Yay! I'm nearing the end, when the boulder just tumbles on it's own.

Take a look at My Resume

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:15 am 

Sort of back.

I'm officially defeated on the purpose of finishing it before the end of the month. As it happens, life decided to toss visiting relatives and mother's "I'll leave you alone while you write" promise was obviously BS, so... yeah, I won't even try (I'll keep on writing, but NaNo is over for me).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:47 am 

Administrator

Yeah, NaNo is pretty much over for me as well. I got absolutely nothing accomplished... Not to mention, I had some unexpected things happen to me as well.

Ugh... Maybe I'll try to get working on something. I do want to finish at least one of the things I've started. Losing that flashdrive data really hit me hard, not gonna lie :/

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:49 am 

Sort of back.

I will still continue writing, I didn't give up on the story I created for NaNo. But even the chances of finishing it before December are of 0%, so... I'll roll with the punches and do what I can.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:00 am 

PLaying SQUAD with TASQ

I am almost complete. I hit 48,174 last night. I also finished my story. I mean, I have a beginning, middle and ending. If I were to extend the denouement too far, it would be terrible. So, I am going to return to the beginning and read through. I know there are scenes I could elaborate with more detail. I know I can add at least another 1826 to hit 50,000. On top of that, I held back the introduction and a prologue that numbers over 3100 words. I can add that. Then the novel will be over 53,000 words. I will work on that today.

No sign of the artwork yet.

ImageImage

My Characters
My Writing Styles
Galileo Corporation
Modern Wargaming Rules

Best Days for RPing
Fri - Sun

Attitude | +
"The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude to me is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than success, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, gift, or skill. It will make or break a company...a church...a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past...we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10 percent what happens to me and 90 percent how I react to it. And so it is with you... we are in charge of our attitudes. "
~ Charles Swindoll

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:10 pm 

I'm still on course, keep falling behind by about a day, but it's not hard to come back. My problem is like yours, gunther. I'm nearing the end and not sure I'll make it to 50k. So I keep trying to stretch it out a bit, focusing on details a little bit more instead of just the skeleton. Either way I'll figure it out. The ending may just bring me over without expecting it.

That's too bad Sil and Shades, but life is always understandable. Nano is just an example of setting a goal and keeping to it. I have trouble doing this outside of nano, but I hope you have better success.

Take a look at My Resume

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:41 pm 

PLaying SQUAD with TASQ

I was going to write this afternoon. I have a cold, I've been milking for two weeks now. I fell asleep at the computer.

ImageImage

My Characters
My Writing Styles
Galileo Corporation
Modern Wargaming Rules

Best Days for RPing
Fri - Sun

Attitude | +
~ Charles Swindoll

View Likes PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:58 pm 

Sort of back.

I'm actually keeping a schedule on my planner to write every other day or so on the story I have planned. So I'm pretty sure I will eventually get to the end, just on a different schedule than 30 days.

View Likes PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:00 am 

PLaying SQUAD with TASQ

I went over 50K this evening. I just want to read it through before I submit it.
/phew!
I have two more stories based on my Galileo Corporation Universe in my head to write. I may just save them for next November and do this again. But I need to get through the revision/editing process first. I intend to publish.

ImageImage

My Characters
My Writing Styles
Galileo Corporation
Modern Wargaming Rules

Best Days for RPing
Fri - Sun

Attitude | +
~ Charles Swindoll

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next