All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

View Likes PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:54 pm 

Rum innate.

Medals: 2
December 2015 (1) Gif Hunt Participant! (1)
Blog: View Blog (4)

'Grilled' pork chop ~ 20 min

What
pork chop, salt, lemon, water (from electric kettle)
frying pan

How
In frying pan, spread pork chops evenly in one layer. Squeeze one lemon's juice all over. Sprinkle salt sparingly. Pour boiled water just enough to submerge all chops. Stove to medium heat. Water will eventually evaporate, leaving chops to fry in their own grease. Wait 'til chops brown before turning over once to brown the other side. If a chop pops up, slice from outside arc to middle to keep it flat. Serve on paper towels.

Why
The amount of effort is less than five minutes. The boiling cooks chops thoroughly, but the last five minutes frying give them chops that grilled yumminess. Salt and lemon, so simple, yet very delicious.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
View Likes PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:27 am 

Blog: View Blog (0)

Oh goodness, but this is exciting!. I may or may not (read: definitely do) teach cooking classes at work. And I cook meals 6 days a week, on a budget, in the TINIEST studio kitchen with the most ineffective fridge... So... Kinda really stoked that this exists. o.o

So to start, the most basic of basic recipes which is THE BEST for when chicken is on sale, and you've a bunch of veggies in your fridge/pantry... Quick (but moist) roast chicken

You need
    1 whole chicken, rinsed and pat dry (or bone in, skin on chicken pieces)
    2 Tbs olive oil (more or less to taste)
    1 tsp salt + pepper (more or less to taste)
    Quartered onions and or lemons (one or two of either or both, enough to stuff your bird)
    2 cups leftover raw vegetables, washed and cut into 1" pieces (potatoes, parsnips, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, carrots, celery, zuchinni, etc.--literally, whatever leftover veggies you've got, it'll aaaaaall taste good regardless)

Optional ingredients
1 tsp dried thyme + 1 tsp dried rosemary + 1 tsp dried sage (or 1 TBS each fresh, chopped)
OR
Zest from 1 lemon, 2-3 garlic cloves, minced

Cooking twine

Procedure
    Remove neck and organs from chicken, then rinse chicken with cold water outside and in the cavity. Pat dry with paper towels. If desired, reserve neck for chicken stock. If cooking organs, place underneath the roasting rack.*

Place chicken on a roasting rack in roaster, or inside oven-safe frying pan/skillet/saute pan, breast side up. Stuff bird cavity with quartered onions and or lemons (helps to keep an un-brined bird moist, and imparts a little flavor!). surround chicken with chopped vegetables. Drizzle olive oil generously over chicken and vegetables. Rain salt and pepper over bird and vegetables evenly from at least a foot above the bird, to ensure your seasonings stick.

If adding optional seasonings, add here in a similar way to salt and pepper.

If cooking twine is available, truss bird--at least tie the legs together, this helps to keep the breast from drying out.

Place in oven at 450F/232C for 30 mins, then reduce to 350F/175C for at least 1 hour or until internal temperature of chicken reads 165F/75C. Allow to rest at least 10 mins before carving. Serve chicken and vegetables with drippings.

**If you don't own a roasting rack, roll a long strip of foil into a snake, then create a coil. If roasting chicken organs, place in the center of the coil before placing the bird on top.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
View Likes PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:05 pm 

Sort of back.

Medals: 16
Longest RP (1) Completed RP (2)
Dedicated Partner (1) Most Patient (3)
Blog: View Blog (59)

Pasta salad - this is one of my favorite for when I want to cook a little quick thing but also want it to taste nice and fill me up. This makes one good serving (I live alone, so I cook for one a lot) or two.

You need

- Penne (enough for one dish - I would say three handfuls or you can measure it on a regular plate)
- Half a can or tuna (or one whole, if you're cooking for more than one portion)
- Green olives, seedless, as many as you prefer
- Cherry tomatoes, cut in halves, as many as you prefer
- Tomato sauce
- Shredded Parmesan cheese (optional)

Procedure

Cook the penne to your taste.
Once it's cooked, dry it and mix just a little of the tomato sauce, so it's not too white (and too dry). Warm just a little and put it in your plate/bowl.
Open the tuna can and let some of the oil run so it's not too wet.
Spread the tuna over your pasta and then mix it in.
Spread the olives over and mix them in.
Same with the cherry tomatoes.
If you want to, spread some parmesan cheese over the salad.

It's ready to serve. =)

View Likes PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:28 pm 

Caramel-Apple Stuffed French Toast

Ingredients:

- 2 Large Apples of your choice, cubed. I used Red Delicious.
    - 1/2 cup Brown sugar.
    - 1 tbsp cinnamon.
    - 6 Eggs.
    - 14 slices of bread.

*Powdered sugar and vanilla is optional.
(Ingredients are give or take.)

Directions:

In a small sauce pan, put your diced apples, brown sugar, cinnamon (and vanilla if desired), and a splash of water into it, and saute over medium high heat until apples are soft and brown sugar has caramelized like a syrup. Turn off the heat. Whisk the eggs in a square dish if you have one (I use a sandwich tupperware), then sandwich a thin spread of the caramel-apple sauce between two slices of bread. Dip the bread in the eggs, surface only, on either side of the sandwich. Cook on medium heat in a fry pan until golden brown and slightly crispy on each side. Serve with optional powdered sugar sprinkled on top!

View Likes PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:14 pm 

Teller of Tales and Magical Myths

I made this the other night and it was fantastic! The whole bit cost about $12 for three people and we had leftovers! It can also be made on one of those 2-eyed stoves if you pace yourself. I, personally, used the garlic powder but I think it would be just fine without it. I did not get a chance to use tomatoes so if anyone does let me know how it tastes!

Salt, pepper, and Olive Oil are treated like Rachel ray's freebies. They help add flavor to the pasta, but the sauce itself has plenty of flavor without!

You need
    1 jar sun dried tomato alfredo sauce
    1 container frozen chopped spinach
    1 box angel hair pasta
    1 pound ground chicken
    dried italian herb seasoning (no measure)

Optional ingredients
Garlic powder
sun dried tomatoes

Procedure
    Start by adding the frozen block of chopped spinach to a pot with 1/4 cup of water and bring to a boil
    Once spinach is boiling, reduce to simmer and let sit until tender
    While spinach is cooking, boil a pot of salted water for pasta
    Remove tender spinach from pot into a strainer and let drain (squish it with the spoon to really get the water out)
    While spinach is draining, boil pasta
    Add dried italian herb seasoning (and garlic powder if you choose) to ground chicken and cook until done
    Combine chicken, spinach, and alfredo sauce and mix to combine then leave on low to get warm. The sauce will be a lovely deep green with highlights of light red from the sauce
    Drain angel hair pasta
    Combine and serve

My Resume

View Likes PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:15 pm 

eye of newt, tail of newt... rest of newt...

Medals: 12
Best Couple (1) 1st Year (1)
2nd Year (1) 3rd Year (1)

A half-my-own-variation of my cherished kale salad.

You need
    Fresh kale
    Half a pomegranate
    A good handful of hazelnuts
    White wine vinegar
    Olive oil
Procedure
    Chop the hazelnuts roughly and roast them lightly.
    Remove all the seeds from the half-a pomegranate into a small bowl. Pour a dash of white wine vinegar onto them. Add roasted hazelnuts and mix it briefly.
    Wash and shred the kale. Pour a bit of olive oil onto a hot frying pan; add the kale immediately after. Let it fry on high heat for about 45 seconds, then add the pomegranate and hazelnuts. Mix it together in the pan quickly - you don't want your kale to get soggy! - and then empty the now hot salad into a large bowl.
    Serve warm or cold!

Sent from t̗͈ͥ͒͒̅̑̿h̺ͣ̑̐̎̑̇͝ẹ͇͊ͤͅ ̗̝͖̠͍͔̺ͣ̓͆͐̕v̶͂̒͗oͭ̀̌̉̿ỉ̉̌̒̓̈͌͠d̛̤̻͖̂͊͗̈͑ using Tapatalk

Only doing 1x1s and tiny groups for now due being generally busy. If you have a cool idea, feel free to approach me, though, alas, even the most awesome adventures must be passed up on sometimes.
invisgmt+1 + 6th semester university student = patience please ♥

View Likes PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:10 am 

Sort of back.

Decided to share something we do often where I live. Learned this from my mother.

Home made hot sauce

You need
Red chili peppers
Olive oil
White wine vinegar
A glass bottle or jar

Procedure
Fill 1/3 of your recipient with chili peppers
Add about half this amount of olive oil
Add about the same amount of white wine vinegar
(Optional) You can put a few clovers of garlic as well for taste
Once it's all in your jar or bottle, close it tightly and put it in a dark place (a cupboard will do) for a couple weeks, for the liquid part to take in the taste. The longer it stays, the hotter it will be. Once it's done, you can eat the peppers, or use just the liquid mixture on your food.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:06 am 

Sort of back.

Another easy, but satisfying one. Just had it for breakfast, so I decided to share.

You need
Sliced bread (as many slices as you wish)
Olive oil
One garlic clove (or more, depends on how many slices and the size of the clove) in thin slices
(Optional)Oregano
(Optional)Salt

Procedure
Toast the bread to your preference. I usually toast them on a flat frying pan, as you can control it better and turn it until it's the way you like it.
After it's toasted, add a coat of olive oil, and, if you use oregano, add it right after.
Add the sliced garlic over the olive oil
Add a pinch of salt, spreading it over the slice of bread (or not, if you don't like adding salt to things)

Enjoy!

View Likes PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:02 pm 

Homemade lemon curd! It's basically lemon mush. Very refreshing, really good for breakfast (in yoghurt or on bread), or as a dessert component. Or hey, just eaten with a spoon, I'm not judging you. Not at ALL, in fact, because it's so delicious.
Lemon curd in jar to the left, lemon curd and greek yoghurt in bowl. Soooo good.

You need
    2 organic/untreated lemons (very important, as you need the peel. Don't want residual pesticides on that.)
    3 eggs
    170 g sugar
    70 g butter

Procedure
    Grate the peel off of the two lemons. Be careful not to get any white with it - that's bitter!
    Squeeze the lemons. Add lemon juice, eggs, and sugar to a pot. Stir together until uniform for a few minutes at medium heat. It mustn't boil. The actual cooking part of this is actually very easy, as the heat just needs to be at medium all the time.
    Add grated lemon peel and cubes of butter, and keep stirring/whipping until the mixture starts to get nice and creamy/thick. This is probably gonna take the better part of an hour, so make sure you have time (and possibly someone else nearby to take over for you if your arm starts to go dead!)
    Pour the mixture through a sift and let it cool down.
    Store the lemon curd in a fridge or similarly cool place.

Only doing 1x1s and tiny groups for now due being generally busy. If you have a cool idea, feel free to approach me, though, alas, even the most awesome adventures must be passed up on sometimes.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:56 pm 

These 'chips' are a very fancy-looking and tasty treat, as well as super easy.
Image | +
Pretty and swirly!

You need
    Premade puff pastry
    1 glass of 'caviar' (fish eggs. Use the cheapest kind you can come by. This is a snack, not a gourmet appetizer.)
    Quark

Procedure
    Spread out the sheet of puff pastry. Cover with a layer of quark, then a layer of 'caviar'.
    Bake in the oven on 200 C/400 F for about five to ten minutes - depending on your oven. They need to be only lightly brown and crisp. The first time you make these, I would greatly recommend standing by the oven and timing it so you know how long it takes the next time.
    Leave for a little bit to cool for extra crispness - or eat them warm right away!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:11 am 

Medals: 8
Completed RP (1) Most Patient (4)
Most Punctual (1) 1st Year (1)

I have one warning about cheap caviar. Many really super-inexpensive varieties of caviar are great, but check to look at the ingredients. Some of them add extra water to stretch out the supply. Worse, some of them add alcohol to do the same thing x3

View Likes PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:09 pm 

Sort of back.

Cheese-filled chicken

This is one I usually make when I want something a little different, but still quick, for lunch. There are a few variations, so I'll add them all here.

You need:

Pre-cut pieces of chicken breast (you can cut them yourself, but the pre-cut ones will give you only breast).
Your favorite kind of cheese.

Seasoning options:

1- Rock salt
2- Salt and lemon
3- Salt and ground pepper

Procedure:
Wash the chicken breast pieces and remove the fatty parts.
Cut them open, but leave a bit still together, so you can fill it in and close it.
Cut the cheese in pieces or a slice, in a size that fits inside the chicken breast.
Get some of the seasoning inside, put the cheese in, and close the chicken breast (if you're careful, you don't need to use anything to actually hold it closed).
Get the seasoning on the outer part.
Fry it until crisp.

I usually have it either as the whole dish or with white rice and homemade chips.

Hope you all enjoy it!

View Likes PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:25 am 

A ridiculously easy, super quick pasta dish. This is meant to be for roughly two people, so scale the amounts to however many people you are.

You need
    Fusilli pasta (or similar bite-sized pasta type)
    Mascarpone cheese
    100 g shrimp
    200-300 g vegetables cut into little pieces (eg. broccoli, corn, peas, green beans, or carrots). Vary as you wish!
    Lemon zest from half a lemon

Optional ingredients
Minced garlic; minced fresh basil; olive oil

Procedure
    Cut vegetables. If using broccoli, use only the 'leaves', not the stem. Drain fishy juices from shrimp. Grate lemon zest.
    Boil pasta according to instructions. About 4 minutes before time is up, add vegetables. Just a little before the time is up, add shrimp.
    Drain water and place pot back on the stove on low heat.
    Add 3 tablespoons (or more) mascarpone to pasta until you have a creamy sauce. Add lemon (and garlic/basil/a dash of olive oil). Mix well so the sauce coats the pasta evenly.
    Serve and enjoy immediately!

View Likes PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:57 pm 

RN (Ratchet Nurse)

Global Moderator

Funniest Member (1) 1st Year (1)

Saw this the other day on fb and thought it might be a cool thing to try one day!

TWERk twERK tWeRK | +
Fire, fire burning bright,
Turn my darkness into light!
Take away my bad luck and ill,
Now bring me nothing but goodwill.
Bad luck came and stayed too long,
Be gone forever, be gone, be gone!
With this fire burning bright,
Bring me good luck, bring me light!

View Likes PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:19 am 

It is a hollow shell of what it once was.

Medals: 14
Best Death (1) GM of the Month (1)
Best Group RP (1) Longest RP (2)
Blog: View Blog (3)

Slow-Simmered Tomato Sauce

Alright so anyone who has made their own sauce knows how much better it can be than the varieties we get in jars. This one is pretty low maintenance and has massive flavor! A tomato sauce that's simmered for a long time just has a depth you can't find anywhere else.

Ingrediuhnts
-Olive oil, about a quarter cup
-1 Onion, finely diced
-Oregano, a teaspoon if it's fresh and half if it's dried
-2-4 garlic cloves, chopped (fine-ish, but not necessarily minced). Amount depends on taste, I always go for moar
-2 teaspoons of salt, with more or less depending on taste
-TOMATOES. 2 cans with 28 ounces each of diced tomatoes can work here (or whole peeled plum tomatoes if you have those cans instead), plus 2 tablespoons of paste

(You can use black pepper, cayenne or red pepper flakes if you want to spice it up a bit. There's also an option for red wine if you've got an open bottle nearby)

DiREKTions

-Get a large pot and put the olive oil on medium-low heat.

-Add the onion, oregano and salt. Cook, stirring often, for about 6-7 minutes.

-Add the garlic, and cook another 3 minutes or so until the onions are soft and translucent.

-Add the tomato paste and continue cooking for 5 more minutes. You can also add in a couple of splashes of red wine here, if you so desire. Try to keep it moving so it doesn't burn - you want the paste to cook through nicely, releasing all the goodness within.

-Add the diced tomatoes and raise the heat to medium, stirring frequently until everything comes to a boil.

-Here's the fun part. Lower the heat as low as it can go, and simmer this stuff for 1-2 hours. 3 if you want. Just be sure to stir it up every 5-10 minutes to keep the bottom of the mixture from burning. You can add your pepper to taste here, if you're using it.

-Spoon it over your favorite pasta, and eat with caution as it may cause your clothes to fly off upon tasting it for the first time.

Learning a simple lesson isn't always simple. Sometimes, you have to slowly lose everything great around you to understand the gravity of your shortcomings. Admit that your egos have grown too large, that you've lost your sense of what you realistically are, and maybe you can repair the road that has broken beneath the weight of your failings. Or maybe you'll just keep going as you've gone, and you'll learn nothing, and eventually, everything around you will become dust. To be honest, that's by far the likeliest of all outcomes.

View Likes PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:26 am 

Did I mention that I got a chance to try out the cheese-filled chicken recipe? I hope you won't mind if I'm completely honest and end up admitting that both me and my step-dad covered it in hot pepper sauce !meow

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:16 am 

Sort of back.

Ha, I should have figured! I hope you have liked it!

View Likes PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:55 pm 

Honestly I really did like it, and I hope I didn't ruin your recipe too much by doing that! !meow

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:14 pm 

Sort of back.

Rice with a little special taste

You need
    Rice
    A large clove of garlic
    Frying oil
    Tomato sauce
    Salt

Procedure
    Crush the clove of garlic
    Fry in in the pan you're using to cook the rice
    Once it's golden, mix in the rice and stir
    Top with water and let it cook
    Once it's cooked, mix in the tomato sauce and the salt until the taste is to your liking (note: I add the salt at this point so I don't put too much in)

I'm actually eating it with nothing else right now because I love rice, but I can see it going really well with chips or some kind of meat.
Note: quantities should be adjusted, I counted for one portion.

View Likes PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:35 am 

eyy, senpai!

Medals: 14
GM of the Month (1) Longest RP (2)
Completed RP (1) Best Entrance (1)
Blog: View Blog (3)

That's very similar to a Mexican rice recipe I make on occasion, the main difference being that I mix the tomato sauce in with the cooking water. Really helps get the flavor into each grain.

I also like throwing in chopped peppers during the frying stage, but any other small veggies work, really.