All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Origin Stories!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:53 pm 

Medals: 2
Most Helpful Member (1) Contest Winner (1)
Blog: View Blog (0)

How did you get into roleplay? Thought we could do with another sharing thread to get to know each other better. !blush

I started roleplaying in 2000-2001 ish. I was new to the states and had just started school here. Didn't know anyone but I loved to write. We had a book club at school where we sometimes would have little competitions (the winner won movie tickets!) for writing something about the book we were reading. Well after reading them to some of my classmates we started "continuing" our stories in a notebook and passing it day to day to each other. It was exactly like roleplay on here! I was always so excited when it was my turn to receive the notebook, to see what everyone else had written. We filled so many of them.

Oh, nostalgia. !sigh

So, what's your story?

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
 Post subject: Re: Origin Stories!
View Likes PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:07 am 

Medals: 7
Best Death (1) Funniest Member (1)
2nd Year (1) Most Dedicated (1)

Back after high school around 2007, I had just found out about Eragon. After reading the books I came to love them and found that the Author, Christopher Paolini, Was only 16 freaking years old when he started writing that lovely book. Well I got it in my head that If that nerd could do it, so could I. I found a website that let you write and post the work for all to see, and started up in a "choose your own adventure" style of story. That lead to randomly writing with a group of people on and off, and while I was getting the groundwork for my favorite world, "Hyperion," it just wasn't streamlined enough. To many people coming and going at once and the writing styles were all over the place to call it a singular tale.

So I shifted my attentions, started writing solo in large chapters. This too didn't last however, as I found that I can't keep my attention on it without a co-writer at the very least, someone else invested in the story. Praise, criticism, that sort of thing. I needed feedback. It was a few years since I'd started writing, and I came to find that the best source for me would be a forum roleplay. People to write with and socialize, while not having too many writers at once to keep things streamlined and consistent.

Wasn't long after that that I found my place here on CF, which is another tale altogether.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
View Likes PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:15 am 

eye of newt, tail of newt... rest of newt...

Medals: 12
Best Couple (1) 1st Year (1)
2nd Year (1) 3rd Year (1)
Blog: View Blog (59)

Well, I must admit it's hard for me to remember what really started it. It happened by accident, I think.

Back in the day when I didn't really speak English, I played Runescape. I just mentioned my unholy, nostalgic love for this game in a reply to another thread, and this is why - that game brought me my first online friends and enabled me to talk to people on the other side of the world while just goofing around. I picked up so many new cool words from there, too (what kind of eleven-year-old knows what a 'chisel' is? Well, the kind who played too much RS). And I think I somehow became friends with people who roleplayed, and well, that's how it all began. Moved onto IM RPs, and then forums later on. Can say I prefer play-by-post by far.

Only doing 1x1s and tiny groups for now due being generally busy. If you have a cool idea, feel free to approach me, though, alas, even the most awesome adventures must be passed up on sometimes.
invisgmt+1 + 6th semester university student = patience please ♥

View Likes PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:06 am 

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ Cruel and Unusual ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

Blog: View Blog (5)

Years ago... woulda been around 14/15 at the time... sooo... 2002-ish.

It was on, uh, MSN Groups. Back when that was a thing.
How I discovered MSN Groups is another story entirely, revolving around a bunch of us on Bioware's Off-Topic forum trolling the American Idol boards on there.

Somehow I ended up discovering an Inuyasha role-playing board, of all things.
Pretty sure that was the first time I role-played in the writing sense, rather than playing pretend/writing on my own, stuff like that.
Same group of people introduced me to D&D so that's how I got into that for real, not just video games based on it.

Wouldn't really get into role-playing again until I started frequenting the Rumbles forum on CBR. Some of us did RPGs there every once in awhile, and overall those have been my best experiences in roleplaying. .

That was in late 2006. Throughout college was when I started intermittently joining a ton of roleplaying sites.

View Likes PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:46 am 

Blog: View Blog (1)

I don't remember when it was, but I was in high school. I was playing a web based game of which the title is lost to me right now. I know we abbreviated it to PA, the P was Planet I think. Anyways, there was a little forum, and we just started to post as if we were the rulers of our planets (IC), and having a rough time in high school I really craved this escapism. I loved the idea of being someone else. I was bullied a lot, so it really helped.

Then I played a game called Star Wars Galaxies. It wasn't anything great, but I got to play a character, and I tried to do some role playing in the game. However most people weren't roleplaying, they were just themselves online.

So then I turned to my own writing, and lost myself there for a few years. It was only until 3 years ago that I started RPing on forums, and have loved it since. Kind of wish I discovered Role Playing like this a lot earlier.

Take a look at My Resume

View Likes PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:16 pm 

PLaying SQUAD with TASQ

Medals: 6
Longest RP (1) 1st Year (1)
2nd Year (1) Most Helpful Member (1)
Blog: View Blog (8)

I was introduced to Dungeons & Dragons in High School (1979/80). The group I played with, tried out several other games as well including Top Secret and Traveller. But that was all table top. It started me on the track of playing a character other than me.

I attended Infantry Officer Advanced Course at Ft. Benning, GA in 2001 - 2002. As a requirement for the course, I wrote an 11 page paper on the 1st Battalion, 508th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 82nd Airborne Division at Nijmegan, Holland, 17 - 24 September 1944. I had a lot of fun writing the paper and reading the 20 books I read to write it. I really started to develop my writing skills then, I was 27.

My first introduction to online forum Role play, a mix of table top role play and writing or what I like to call, Collaborative Works of Fiction was in 2008. I was a member of the Mostly Harmless Alliance in the Geo-Political Role Playing game known as Cyber Nations. They had a subforum called "The Big Bang Theatre", designed specifically for Role Playing. I took to that like I was born to write RPs. I twas a lot of fun and I have been doing it on forums ever since.

ImageImage

My Characters
My Writing Styles
Galileo Corporation
Modern Wargaming Rules
Bakushima; Fantasy Feudal Japan

Best Days for RPing
Fri - Sun

Attitude | +
"The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude to me is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than success, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, gift, or skill. It will make or break a company...a church...a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past...we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10 percent what happens to me and 90 percent how I react to it. And so it is with you... we are in charge of our attitudes. "
~ Charles Swindoll

View Likes PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:49 pm 

I didn't have my first actual roleplaying experience till I was about 16-ish in high school, and that was only very brief. Despite that, I had known about roleplaying for a long time. My father would take me and my brother to a local comic book shop where we would egorge ourselves on all the lovely comics. There were also Magic: The Gathering cards, there, and also a magazine on tabletop roleplaying games.

Looking back on it, I really didn't quite understand just how RPG's worked. Being the poor people we were, I had never gotten my hands on any sort of actual D&D Guidebook or Handbook. As a result... I never really quite figured out just how much the rules covered until later in life.

My first extended play-by-post RP experience came from the old forum: rpgforumsonline. I do believe the forum itself is now defunct, but I credit it to vastly enriching my knowledge and skill.

Later on, I joined this forum, and now here I am! :D

View Likes PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:46 am 

It's not something you should wish to take.

I forgot when and where I started doing Post-by-Plays, but I did know for sure that my childhood was spent with Roleplaying with my brother and sister with our toys as characters. Yeah.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:33 am 

Mm... you to, Ivan? :D Me and my brother had this game where we treated our hot wheels cars like fighters in a Street Fighter Videogame. Kids can come up with some crazy stuff when they're alone and bored, lol. :D

View Likes PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:15 am 

Depressingly Melancholy

My origins in roleplaying is bit nebulous although I do know it started in early 2000s when I was introduced to yahoo chat to do post-by-play. I do know I roleplayed as a kid before I started it for real on the chat room. As a kid growing up I did not have many friends and often beat to a different drum since most kids at the time were head over heels crazy over Pokemon. I could have cared less.

Anyhow, I loved to write what was on my mind and being at an age where I was less inhibited by practical things like now, I picked up how roleplaying was done on a chat format and I was hooked the moment I figured it out what collaborative writing was. Since I was unique in my writing style (back then) and had an above average understanding of things than a 12 or 13 year old should have, I managed to RP with folks a few good years older than I at the time. In fact at the height of my potential I managed to have a RP that lasted for over 7 years. Alas that is a bygone era.

As it stands now, my imagination has wither and died and I struggle to have the same fire as I did before with marginal success. An old dog like me cannot learn new tricks, only goes by what he knows.

I can hear what you're thinking, all your doubts and fears. And if you look in my eyes, in time you'll find the reason I'm here. And in time all things shall pass away in time, you may come back someday. You know your days are numbered. Count them one by one. Like notches in the handle of an outlaw's gun. You can outrun the devil if you try, but you'll never outrun the hands of time. In time, there'll surely come a day in time, all things shall pass away. In time, you may come back, some say. To live once more or die once more, but in time, your time will be no more.

View Likes PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:17 am 

Commissions closed, will announce reopening!

Medals: 1
Contest Winner (1)
Blog: View Blog (23)

I found out about RP very early on in the 6th grade, with paper and pen and swapping this big, paper-filled binder with my friends every other day so we could each write a response in it and give it back the next day. I think it was about a space academy for all sorts of aliens and stuff, I don't recall exactly. I didn't get into Internet RP until I was like 15? And the first thing I did was Lion King roleplay on a site called "The Lion King Goes On". I had decent grammar and writing, but I did sometimes bunny people unwittingly and I was very impatient for replies.

Nowadays I'm the one everyone else is waiting on for really long replies :P

View Likes PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:55 am 

Want to know how I got these scars?

I started roleplaying through a form of LARP with my sister and friends. These mostly consisted of making up some sort of fantasy world and acting as one of the characters in it (most often dragons). This was before we had a stable internet connection so I really didn't feel like I was missing out on anything, that was until I got involved on sites such as Facebook where the occasional bit of roleplay wasn't unheard of. It was when I joined another site where roleplay was a big focus that I started to look into getting involved, and I did.

Several years later (and a much better internet service) I have stuck around with roleplaying off and on.

View Likes PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:47 am 

If I'm not sick, I'm in over my head in something.

I started roleplaying as a way to escape reality, in other words...I would pretend to be a character of either my own creation or from a T.V. show/movie. I can't say I ever stopped doing this because that would be a lie.

From there I don't really remember how I hopped to online role play but I think it was on another forum that involved making an avatar, playing games, etc. I thoroughly enjoyed the concept of making a character and being that character in writing as it was similar to what I had already done. Then something happened (not sure what) and I dropped off the face of the role playing world for a while before I wandered back and rekindled my love for it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:11 pm 

Medals: 6
Dedicated Partner (1) Most Patient (1)
1st Year (1) Supporter (1)

I started RPing in 2002. There was a message board for a comic book company called Crossgen comics and I joined it. They had a Role Playing section and I jumped into it. Everyone in the story were gods (loosely based on Greek gods but all original creations).

ImageImage

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:22 pm 

Medals: 5
Completed RP (2) 1st Year (1)
2nd Year (1) 3rd Year (1)

Long Story | +
Long ago in a distant forum built within the digital "Bitlands" a place called Digibutter was born by one who masqueraded as a rather nerdy lizard named Francis a character from the game Super Paper Mario It was at this forum on the 19th of May in the year of 2007 that I started my days of roleplay starting under a sutable name of Paper Geno but eventually changed to the name of Vaati after playing the game "The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap" though my time there was a grand one all good things must eventually end and that forum started to crumble as it members began to scatter across the internet seeking new places to call home while some not so much into rping stayed with the forum's creator to a place what focused more on talking about recent games...

To make things short my RPing started on May 19 of the year 2007 at a forum created sometime after the release of the game Super Paper Mario with the forum being named after a website mentioned in the game. Course this is only the first time of RPing online as I've been playing D&D way before that though the start of my D&D days is long forgotten.

3DS Friend code: 1762-3216-4894

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:14 am 

I started roleplaying in around 2000-2001 or so when I was late in my teens. Though I mostly did PBEMs and IRC-based roleplays back then; it wasn't until 2008 or so that I discovered PBP/forum roleplays. And since then forum roleplays have been my favorite medium.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:55 pm 

By the power of Grayskull!!

I used to be an illiterate nerd, until I was bitten by a radioactive spelling teacher!

Okay, real talk. I've been a natural write-stuff person for as long as I can remember. In elementary school, the spelling class that I was in had only two others in it and was pretty much the most advanced one possible if I remember correctly. During my later years of elementary, I actually started getting paid by my mom to check the spelling and grammars on her papers. I discovered IRC roleplay sometime around then - six years ago, I think. I was immediately hooked. I spent more than enough time on there. During the past couple of years, though, I've realized that my most frequent IRC hangout is even more of a shithole than I originally thought. As I put it more than frequently enough on there, "Every twelve year old there is trying to be the biggest butthole in the grimy bathroom." After reading too much Ballad of Edgardo, I decided to try forum RP, with the expectation that it would be much more refined than IRC was. Which led me here!

And, don't worry. You guys are all way better than the people I know on IRC, to be completely honest. I wasn't disappointed. ^___^

John Cena Theme MIDI. Because why not.

View Likes PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:19 am 

Blog: View Blog (1)

Oh, man, this takes me back...

Technically, this story starts before I was even born. My dad grew up with Richard Garriot (aka Lord British) in Texas. Dad went off to college, got married to Mom, had me, blah blah, and Richard started his game company, Origin. Dad ended up working there as a developer and level designer, and made a bunch of friends. During his high school days, Dad had developed his own world for D&D, kept playing in college, really got into world building. When he was working with all these other gamer geeks and artists, they came over to play the game, and I, as a little brat, wandered about the house causing trouble. But as this went on, I got more and more into watching the games, and eventually had my own seat at the table (which was a huge folding-leg wooden affair that accommodated all ten people and now lives in the basement.)

When I was really little, my dad had read to me The Hobbit as a bedtime story, so fantasy realms were a huge part of my imagination. One of the artists at the table, Scotty, brought a lot of the characters to life in big ways for me, because when you're seven and the laughing, boisterous giant of a man sits at the table next to you and sketches characters while he's playing and being awesome, it's a big deal. And my Dad was very good at making maps and converting source books and making characters. So over the years I got to watch all these characters evolve, retire, die, love, all the crazy things characters do, though I really was just a little young to appreciate how much work went into all of this.

In high school, after the angst of teenageness had finished with me, I began writing. I had already written before for English classes and because I had a terrible need for poetry that confuses me to this day, for I am a terrible poet. But the habit stuck, and I found some old D&D books my Dad had given me, so I began assembling a group of my own. I don't know how many worlds were born and destroyed in those first few years, but it was bad. Apocalypses everywhere. And at the same time, I had discovered the internet, and chat rooms as well. Yahoo chat was my first real try at collaborative writing, though the Battle.Net chat rooms had caught me a little when I was a freshman, but my interest in online stuff dwindled as my tabletop group expanded.

Life happens, as we all know far too well, and the group split after a few years, but my hunger for creative writing never died. I guess a spark got lit at some point. And now I am here. So yeah...

View Likes PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:58 pm 

Hmm... Well... I was about 8 or 9 years old and I was obsessed with Buffy... as was my three other friends. We had been introduced to fanfiction thanks to the lovely Fanfiction.net which has been around for what feels like centuries! Haha! We all used to write all sorts of Buffy fanfiction. Then one day, one of my friends had the idea that she wanted to write a Buffy fanfiction with me. Only she was going to write Willow's parts since Willow was her favorite and I was writing Buffy's parts since she was mine. So we had a notebook that we would pass back and forth for hours. We'd stay up till the crack of dawn writing. I mean the letters and words started to form gibberish at that point.

So skip ahead about a year and some change and at this point we had moved past Buffy to Charmed. At this point I had found a Charmed message board and my friends joined it. A little while after they had joined, there was an option that you could create a "family". Well, needless to say we did and at that same time, I met a girl on the message board who is still one of my good friends to this day, who still roleplays with me as well! Well long story short, we didn't know we were roleplaying or that the stories we had started writing in books was even considered roleplaying! Well we continued writing stories together, mainly my one friend and I, over the computer and we had countless amounts of stories.

Now when I was 11, my friend that I met on the Charmed board started inviting me to go to these websites to what we now call, Roleplaying. From there I was hooked. I continued to write stories/fanfiction, which to this day even as an adult I still do. The one thing that got me so hooked on roleplaying was the fact that when you're roleplaying, you can broaden your horizon with your stories onto another level that you may not achieve on your own because maybe the person you are roleplaying with has an idea you never thought of or you simply just feel that excitement waiting to see the other person's post. Plus, even if you have a general idea of what you'd like to see happen and what you'd like to happen, you never know where it's going to go or if it's going to go in a completely different direction. It's also amazing to become the character you're playing in that moment. I don't know if it's just me or if anyone else tends to feel like you are the character you write as in the moment, especially when a roleplay is getting really good.

Now 15 years later, give or take, I have been roleplaying on and off. The only issue I have now adays is what I crave is hard to find in other partners so I find myself having more down time than action time. I've found sometimes it's worth the wait and sometimes it's just a point you get to where you have to get past it and move on to the next thing. But either way, it's still one of my biggest passions to this day. I'll tell you what, If I could get paid to roleplay, I'd be set for life! I know a lot of people say it would take the fun out of it for them, but for me, it'd be like a dream job. But at the same time, I'm glad it's a passion because I do love to get my stress out and be able to share my creative side with people where as most people in my daily life do not get the chance to see it.

View Likes PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:51 pm 

Teller of Tales and Magical Myths

I've been writing for a long time, but I didn't really learn how to RP until I reached middle school and joined a few pet sites (Neo and Zeta). On Zeta pets, I joined a Full Metal Alchemist fan guild and the threads there had these stories but everyone was just one character. I was facinated, and my guild-mates taught me how it worked. I was bitten by the RP bug at that point and looked to Neopets as well to fill this massive desire that was suddenly building inside me.

But I quickly outgrew the word limit and got tired of posting on those sites. So I moved to Gaia Online, but as I was joining the RP community had this fad spreading around called "Pretty Posts" and if your post wasn't a "Pretty Post" the DMs didn't want you posting. I thought it detracted from the experience so I moved on again.

I attempted to make my own sites (two of them) but they never gained any traction.

Eventually, I came to a site that was dedicated solely to RPing. And I stayed with it for years until I grew depressed in college and left.

Now here I am, and it's a pleasure to get back into the fun!

My Resume