All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 11:00 pm 

Blog: View Blog (0)

I figured this might be an interesting thread to start. We'll see if it gets many responses or not. =D

Are you a Mac person, a PC guy/gal, or a Linux dude(ette)? Have you tried multiple operating systems, and if so, what made you want to switch? Did you find the new system better, or did you switch back? If you use Linux, what distro, and why that one?

I myself shoveled horse manure and took care of some horses at a local stable to save up enough money to purchase my first computer. It was a beauty of a machine, although by today's standards would be positively ancient, haha. (I was about 14 years old)

In any case, somehow the thought popped into my head that I should use a different operating system, one other than windows. At the time, I didn't know what others were available, but a quick google search brought them up easily enough.

I think maybe Mac Leopard was the current system for Macs(or Maybe OS X, I'm not sure). It looked really neat, but the price tag was absurdly expensive, so Linux it was! Of course, I didn't really know what to expect at the time. Hell, I thought a different OS just meant a different visual experience. I had absolutely no idea that an OS has a lot more to do with hardware and stuff under the hood.

All I knew was that the screenshots looked cool. Unfortunately, when I first booted up my brand new Linux box, I was greeted with a black screen, a system prompt, and a blinking cursor. Oh....sit. Lol.

Anyone else want to share? !want

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
View Likes PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:07 am 

Owner

Medals: 14
Villain of the Month (2) Original Character (1)
Best Group RP (1) Longest RP (1)

I've used both Mac and PC, but feel that I am more at home on a PC. It was the system that I was taught to use, at least later in life as I was part of that bunch that used Apple Computers in school to learn how to type and such, back when computers for personal home use was starting to be a thing. I find that the price and upgrading potential of the PC to be better than the Mac, personal opinion, plus the games that I usually want to play are made for PC. I did not get my first computer ever until I was 17 and it was an old piece of crap, desktop that still ran on dial up while everyone else had kicked over to ethernet, broadband, etc. Came in the funky beige color that most computers came in at the time.

"Any fool can write. It takes a genius to read"~Dadsky.
"Draco didn’t listen, so Hermione shut him down the best way she knew how"......"She set that ****ing on fire."
"Ausan: She's beauty, She's grace, She'll punch you in the face"~Smexy Awesome Fossil
Like Gaming? Want to Game with me? Or even just show your support? Check out my Twitch Channel!

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:40 pm 

Ah...yes. I remember that old beige color. Windows '95 was what I grew up on when I was really younger, and then Windows ME was what I had for the longest time, because my dad didn't want to upgrade to windows 2000 right after getting the piece of **** that snake oil salesman sold us.

So I guess you could say that Windows XP was my first experience with a 'good' windows operating system, haha.

I agree with you on how Mac has so little upgrading potential. It's such an horribly closed off walled garden, and at such an exorbitant price! Ugh. PC is also usually the one that most people are familiar with and use, whereas Linux kind of has a reputation of being hard to learn.

In a sense, I guess they're right. Linux can be used for simple stuff like web browsing and word processing, and the user need not worry about anything under the hood. But the truth is that it is still very much a developer/hacker-ish OS. I actually had to bang my head on the desk for about 7 years before getting really good at it, but that's only because I like doing stuff like that. lol.

And now here come all these tablets and smartphones... D:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:46 pm 

Sort of back.

Medals: 16
Longest RP (1) Completed RP (2)
Dedicated Partner (1) Most Patient (3)
Blog: View Blog (59)

I'll just speak up because computers are my thing.

I think the first SO I ever saw was MS DOS. Yes, I'm that old. XD
Then Windows 95. Then 98 (I don't have any memory of it except for the fact it existed). Then ME. Not sure I have actually gotten to use 2000. Then XP, which I have used for as long as humanly possible.
Now I am using W7. I have tried 8 and hated it with all my power. Now I'm avoiding 10 like the plague until I'm sure it doesn't suck.

And for mobile, I'm an Android girl. Can't afford Apple products (importation taxes make them ridiculously expensive) and don't care for Windows Phone.

View Likes PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:24 pm 

Owner

My computer just gave me the option to do the free upgrade to windows 10 from windows 7. I have tried 8, never really cared for the layout of things, but 10 seems to be bringing back the features they lost in 8. I will get my reserve and wait to see how other people like it. The laptop I currently own came with the option of either booting up with 7 or 8.1, heck I could still do that if I wanted, but I find that for now I am very comfortable with 7 and don't see a reason to change.

I think my first laptop that I owned myself was XP, other than that only had that one funky desktop that still used the hard floppy disks lol God I feel so old now. The computers at school used the soft floppys and I remember playing a game called "computer people" on it, which was basically the first Sims. Had to help some guy live and take care of his house and what not.

"Draco didn’t listen, so Hermione shut him down the best way she knew how"......"She set that ****ing on fire."
"Ausan: She's beauty, She's grace, She'll punch you in the face"~Smexy Awesome Fossil
Like Gaming? Want to Game with me? Or even just show your support? Check out my Twitch Channel!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:34 pm 

Sort of back.

Mine too, but I use a bunch of softwares (work stuff) that haven't been upgraded yet, so I'll have to wait. And in general I never actually upgrade to newer Windows versions as soon as they come out.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:44 pm 

Owner

True. I did not think about that, because I have a lot of programs too.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:52 pm 

Wandering through uncharted space...

Location: Canada... Somewhere in the North of Kere's Domain...
Medals: 6
1st Year (1) Most Helpful Member (1)
Blog: View Blog (3)

I am a mac girl. I tried both and actually was on a PC for the longest time. We got our first computer in the house when I was fourteen because I needed it for high school. However, we were only running dialup and it sucked and then we got rid of the net not even a year later because price/use were way too staggered. Anyways when I became serious about graphics art I switched over to Mac because at the time they were the leading edge of graphics card and their base models came with kick ass graphics cards. So I made the switch and now I'm an old dog who can't be changed out of her ways. Lolz ok I'm not that old, but I like the saying. I get stuck in habits and it's just become a habit to have a Mac. I personally think that both Mac and PC have come so far that they are both amazing machines and depending not he use or desire they can both be made to be exactly what you want.

These are my own personal opinions and although I prefer Mac I fully understand preferring PC. I think there are merits to both and draw backs to both. This is just me though.

I tried linix once, but nope out quickly I couldn't get used to the interface and I don't like change. Like DON'T like change. So I'm stuck in my little rut and perfectly happy. I love my Macs

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:14 pm 

Sort of back.

As Fain said up there, it is a matter of personal preference. And of what you need out of your computer. So, I would say what I always say when someone asks me for advice: the 'best' computer is the one which caters to your particular needs. =)

I have tried Linux too, and didn't adapt to it. I like the simplicity of Windows.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:20 pm 

I have returned

My family only uses Mac computers, and I hate it. You see, I'm a gamer, and lots of online games don't run, or at least as well, in Mac. To make it worse my families Macs are old as dirt, so they're pretty much useless.

However, I should balance this with the fact that I love my IPhone. It's a 4S and I do literally everything with it. If I didn't have it, I'd probably live quite comfortably, but there is no way I'd be able to get on here and post. At all, the Macs can't even pull up the site.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:39 pm 

Shadow Lady, w007! Awesome to see another computer buff! :D

I know exactly what you mean by trying linux and not having it work out. There's so many different options and ways to do things, and cross distro compatibility is still a huge issue, because all the software is forked so many times. It's definitely a system for people who have to tweak ever single little thing, haha.

At the same time, I'm glad I stuck with it. It's kind of like... once you finally learn how to drive a stick shift, you don't want to go back to driving an automatic because, well, dude, you can drive a stick shift! *insert rocker smiley here*.

Jack Spade, you're right about PC being pretty much the only game in town for playing games(no pun intended). I have a fairly old Linux machine, and it's great a development system, but Linux doesnt really have the widespread support for games that PC Does. Hell, even mac has better support for some Games than Linux.

D:

On the other hand, it is nice not to pay for anything. XD Ah well. I hear a lot of Windows systems are pirated, too.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:09 pm 

Depressingly Melancholy

I use PC to game and Mac to indulge in a few hobbies, that's about it.

For the record I really detest Windows 8.

I can hear what you're thinking, all your doubts and fears. And if you look in my eyes, in time you'll find the reason I'm here. And in time all things shall pass away in time, you may come back someday. You know your days are numbered. Count them one by one. Like notches in the handle of an outlaw's gun. You can outrun the devil if you try, but you'll never outrun the hands of time. In time, there'll surely come a day in time, all things shall pass away. In time, you may come back, some say. To live once more or die once more, but in time, your time will be no more.

View Likes PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:11 pm 

PLaying SQUAD with TASQ

Medals: 6
Longest RP (1) 1st Year (1)
2nd Year (1) Most Helpful Member (1)
Blog: View Blog (8)

I know how to turn a computer on. But then I leave my machine for several days without a reboot. It is a PC and I prefer Firefox over windows OS. But I'm old and no one cares. Cause I would rather use a PC than a mobile or pad. IF you send me a text message, don't expect an immediate response. I might find it in a day or two.

ImageImage

My Characters
My Writing Styles
Galileo Corporation
Modern Wargaming Rules
Bakushima; Fantasy Feudal Japan

Best Days for RPing
Fri - Sun

Attitude | +
"The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude to me is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than success, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, gift, or skill. It will make or break a company...a church...a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past...we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10 percent what happens to me and 90 percent how I react to it. And so it is with you... we are in charge of our attitudes. "
~ Charles Swindoll

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:56 am 

Medals: 3
1st Year (1) 2nd Year (1)
3rd Year (1)

Windows 7. I'd use 10 but I wasted my free upgrade when it killed my hard drive.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:31 pm 

Depressingly Melancholy

If I had it my way it would be a 64 bit version of XP but alas that is hard to come by so I settle for Windows 7. If I was more technically inclined I would try Linux because I hate the complete and utter bullshit Microsoft is coming out with now days. Windows 10 is hardly a fix versus the travesty 8 was.

Rant over.

I can hear what you're thinking, all your doubts and fears. And if you look in my eyes, in time you'll find the reason I'm here. And in time all things shall pass away in time, you may come back someday. You know your days are numbered. Count them one by one. Like notches in the handle of an outlaw's gun. You can outrun the devil if you try, but you'll never outrun the hands of time. In time, there'll surely come a day in time, all things shall pass away. In time, you may come back, some say. To live once more or die once more, but in time, your time will be no more.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:02 pm 

I was raised in a computer heavy household (dad worked for digital, then compac, and then HP) and the only way of life I've ever known is PC/Windows. Had computers with 95, 98, XP, ME, 2000, Vista (not terrible, but I missed my XP), 7, 8 (i only liked it on my surface pro, never installed it anywhere else cause it didn't make sense), and finally everything is now upgraded to 10. I remember being so engrained in the PC life that I asked my dad if I was allowed to be happy about getting an iPod for christmas one year, since it wasn't made by a company he worked for.

These days I'm still running everything on Windows 10, but the introduction of the iPod to my life meant that I switched to Mac handheld devices, and I would never switch back. Love the iPhone. With the age of my current laptop, I've considered switching to a mac and then partitioning the hard drive so I could have a computer that still would play all the games that I wanted, but would also be able to sustain the art situation that might start creeping into my computer life. But until I am forced to do that for school, I'm avoiding it, because I love my dinosaur PC, and I just put in a new SSd last fall.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:31 am 

Medals: 3
1st Year (1) 2nd Year (1)
3rd Year (1)

Windows 7 64 bit. I'd run 10 but last time I did it killed my computer so....

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:54 pm 

Depressingly Melancholy

Windows 7 seems to the safest OS out there it seems. Microsoft gets better and better at making crap these days.