All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Go Bookworms!!!
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:16 am 

Blog: View Blog (13)

List 10 books that have stayed with you in some way. Don’t take more than a few minutes, and don’t think too hard. They do not have to be the ‘right’ books or great works of literature, just the ones that have affected you in some way. Go, bookworms!

1. Alanna: The First Adventure by Tamora Pierce
2. The Prophecy of the Stones by Flavia Bujor
3. A Coal Miner's Bride: The Diary of Anetka Kaminska by Susan Campbell Bartoletti
4. Take a Bow by Elizabeth Eulberg
5. East Edith Pattou
6. Cardcaptor Sakura
7. Magic Knights Rayearth
8. Dream-Maker's Magic by Sharon Shinn
9. Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes
10. The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien

Maybe I should make this a list of 20. . . cause I wish I could add more. Idk, what do you guys think? X3

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
 Post subject: Re: Go Bookworms!!!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:42 am 

Blog: View Blog (0)

I've only read Prophecy of the Stones off of your list. I read it when I was about 10 years ago when I was a kid. To be honest I can't remember much of it, just that it wasn't bad but it never was one of my favourites.

1.The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger
2.The 13 1/2 Lives of Captain Bluebear by Walter Moers
3.Nightwatch by Terry Pratchett
4.Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J. K. Rowling (all of them really)
5.The Secret History by Donna Tartt
6.The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien
7.Secrets by Jacqueline Wilson
8.High Rhulain by Brian Jacques
9.Sudenmarja by Reidar Palmgren (hasn't been translated to any other language)
10.Häräntappoase by Anna-Leena Härkönen (no translations either)

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:32 am 

PLaying SQUAD with TASQ

Medals: 6
Longest RP (1) 1st Year (1)
2nd Year (1) Most Helpful Member (1)
Blog: View Blog (8)

1. Killer Angels by Michael Shaara
2. The Eagle has Landed by Jack Higgins
3. Band of Brothers by Stephen Ambrose
4. Harry Potter series by J K Rowling (Only books I have ever read twice.)
5. Red Storm Rising by Tom Clancy
6. The Art of War by Sun Tzu
7. 1776 by David McCullough
8. Mission Earth (Dekology) by L Ron Hubbard
9. The Courage of Conviction; The Story of William Turner by Larry Cadran
10. Team Yankee by Harold Coyle

I prefer to read Military History or Historical Fictions based on military events. I've been reading books and articles on this subject for 40 years. My list also could be much more extensive.

ImageImage

My Characters
My Writing Styles
Galileo Corporation
Modern Wargaming Rules
Bakushima; Fantasy Feudal Japan

Best Days for RPing
Fri - Sun

Attitude | +
"The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude to me is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than success, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, gift, or skill. It will make or break a company...a church...a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past...we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10 percent what happens to me and 90 percent how I react to it. And so it is with you... we are in charge of our attitudes. "
~ Charles Swindoll

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:15 pm 

eye of newt, tail of newt... rest of newt...

Medals: 12
Best Couple (1) 1st Year (1)
2nd Year (1) 3rd Year (1)
Blog: View Blog (59)

Going to try to challenge myself and keep Harry Potter out of this list, because it's such an obvious choice and it really meant a lot to me - but ugh, so did so many other books, and they deserve some recognition too, dammit!

1. The Fade - by Chris Wooding. An evil, evil book that took me six or eight months to get over. Ugh, it still hurts.
  2. The Tales of the Ketty Jay - by Chris Wooding. What can I say? The man is a miracle worker. Four books in this awesome pirate series.
  3. Catch-22 - by Joseph Heller. A ridiculously funny, but increasingly depressing, book about some poor dudes stranded in Italy during WW2. Shout-out to @TheRottenLeprechaun for getting me into this one!
  4. Fahrenheit 451 - by Ray Bradbury. Honestly one of the scarier books I've read. I just... I can't deal with it.
  5. Le Petit Prince - by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry. A beautiful, very touching and philosophical story.
  6. Skammerens datter - by Lene Kaaberbøl. "The Shamer's Daughter." The first fantasy series I really fell in love with, before Harry Potter took hold of me. It's about this girl and her mother who can tell what people are ashamed of when they look into people's eyes, and they are being hunted as witches for it.
  7. Our Tragic Universe - by Scarlett Thomas. I never found out what the plot was. To be honest, I don't really think there is one. It's a very organic, sort of impressionist book.
  8. Metro 2033 - by Dmitrij Cluchovskij. Another evil, evil book. If you like depressing dystopian fiction, this is what you want!
  9. Analfabeten som kunde räkna - by Jonas Jonasson. "The Illiterate Who Knew How To Count." A ridiculous, really freakin' funny book about this African woman who somehow... Y'know, just read it. It's hilarious.
  10. The Song of Achilles - by Madeline Miller. A beautiful retelling of The Iliad.

Only doing 1x1s and tiny groups for now due being generally busy. If you have a cool idea, feel free to approach me, though, alas, even the most awesome adventures must be passed up on sometimes.
invisgmt+1 + 6th semester university student = patience please ♥

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:36 pm 

This body is a vessel for my mayhem and as long as I can perform bafoonery it doesn’t matter if this stomach is flat or not

1. The Harry Potter Series by J.K Rowling
2. Animal Farm by George Orwell
3. The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy by J.R.R. Tolkien
4. Struck By Lightning by Chris Colfer
5. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Phillip K. Dick
6. The Book Thief by Mark Zusak
7. Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy by Douglas Adams
8. The Catcher In The Rye by J.D. Sallinger
9. Zeus Grants Stupid Wishes by Cory O' Brien
10. Extremely Loud And Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:25 pm 

1. Harry Potter series
2. Lord of the Rings series
(self explanatory on those two)
3. Chaos Walking series by Patrick Ness (imagine if every living thing, people and animals, would always, whether they wanted to or not, hear each other's thoughts, that's how things are in this super duper awesome series)
4. Keys to the Kingdom series by Garth Nix (i just plain adore these books, great premise imo and awesome story)
5. Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Colfer (awesome, made me think more than just about any books trying to figure out what'd happen, long series, amazing characters)
6. Shamer Chronicles series by Lene Kaaberbøl (interesting concept, fantasy/medieval type setting, not too long either)
7. Leviathan series by Scott Westerfield (an alternate universe during World War 1, the Central Powers (aka Clankers) wield powerful mechanical war machines, while the Entente Powers (aka Darwinists) use unique genetically fabricated beasts, super cool)
8. Incarceron/Sapphique by Catherine Fisher (book and its sequel, set in an advanced artificial world used as a prison and the world outside where change, even the advancement of time has become forbidden)
9. Shade's Children by Garth Nix (sorta post apocalyptic but not really, cool powers, great characters, all that good stuff)
10. Hush, Hush series by Becca Fitzpatrick (angels, drama, romance, great main characters)