All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pratchett Prattlin'
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:39 am 

eye of newt, tail of newt... rest of newt...

Medals: 12
Best Couple (1) 1st Year (1)
2nd Year (1) 3rd Year (1)
Blog: View Blog (59)

In memory of one of my favorite authors/wizards, who passed away a couple of days ago, I figured I'd try to snoop around and see how many people here are also fans of Terry Pratchett's books?

Not only the Discworld novels, bless them, but also the others. I've read more of his books than I own, and I have to admit I have a weakness for the character 'Tiffany Aching'. She's just so... yeah, pretty incredible.

Are you a hardcore Discworld fan? Did you grow up with Pratchett? How did you get to know him and his stories? Hit me with all your memories and anecdotes and stories of reading Pratchett for the first time ever and all the times ever since, because, let's face it, he's not an author you can just read the one book of.

Only doing 1x1s and tiny groups for now due being generally busy. If you have a cool idea, feel free to approach me, though, alas, even the most awesome adventures must be passed up on sometimes.
invisgmt+1 + 6th semester university student = patience please ♥

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
 Post subject: Re: Pratchett Prattlin'
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:18 pm 

Medals: 5
Completed RP (2) 1st Year (1)
Blog: View Blog (0)

I was always entertained either by his discworld books or the movies such books created, like Going Postal, Color of Magic, and Hogfather. Though my favorite character has always been the Discworld's Death character an anthropomorphic personification as the character claims itself to be he has an interesting personality unlike what one might think an icon of death would act. He had times of kindness when his job permitted it and.

Makes me hope the guy met that form of Death when he passed away.

3DS Friend code: 1762-3216-4894

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:31 pm 

Yeah, the tweets announcing his death were written as Death, which I think is insanely cool. I really want to read Going Postal, even if I have no idea what it's about. Really, I need all 9846797 books to stand in line on my shelf.

So far, I have Dodger (non-Disc), The Nightwatch (?), and I Shall Wear Midnight - that last one is the last book in the Tiffany Aching series.

Only doing 1x1s and tiny groups for now due being generally busy. If you have a cool idea, feel free to approach me, though, alas, even the most awesome adventures must be passed up on sometimes.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:02 pm 

Going Postal is about a con artist.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:46 pm 

I sat on my bathroom floor for five minutes the morning I found out Pratchett died. I know it's a bit silly to let someone's death you never personally knew affect you that much, but I was kind of shocked. He had become someone I admired, and it hit me hard to find out he was finally gone. Pratchett was a skilled writer, capable of creating wonderful and interesting characters and universes. Discworld is an enchanting place with incredible amount of detail. Every time I grabbed a new book of his to read, I knew I wouldn't be disappointed, and I never was. I feel like I just can't say enough. Then again, in a way I am happy he got to pass on. I used to work at a retirement home, and I've seen how terrible alzheimer's can become. I wish for strength and a good future for his family and friends.

I guess I should try and remember an anecdote now? I remember reading Wintersmith (Tiffany really is great) years ago when it was new, and laughing out loud. My dad, who happened to be in the same room, looked at me and asked "Are you reading Pratchett again?". No-one else in my family has read Pratchett's books, but they all know his books are the ones that make me laugh out loud.

I can't recall more right now, but I'll probably be back for more. Also Going Postal is one of my favourites. It's about a conman like Zavyr said, who is tasked with reviving the Ankh Morpork post office. The Nightwatch also has a special place in my heart, just like all of the Sam Vimes books.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:36 pm 

Wintersmith is actually the only one out of the four Tiffany-books I never read. The good thing about Pratchett and the MASSIVE Discworld is that you don't really need to have read all the other books before it to understand or enjoy the story - can you imagine?! That's part of what I really like about his books. There are tons of little references and inside jokes that you can become a part of if you read the entire series - but they're not necessary to know while reading his books!

I don't think it's silly to let an artist's death affect you - their creations meant something to you, and the fact that you won't see any more of them is definitely a sad thing. I can't even imagine what I'll be like when J. K. Rowling disappears... Okay, no, happy thoughts, happy thoughts.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:09 pm 

Btw my Favorite book was Reaper Man which was a story about the character Death when he discovers he is going to be replaced yet enjoying the fact he now has time something he never actually had.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:38 pm 

Guys, look what I just found!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:41 am 

Reaper Man is going on my to-read list now! And yes, every time someone asks me where to start with Discworld, I can just say wherever, although I like to suggest my personal favourites (of course). It's also fun to return to books I started with and understand them in a whole new light, but realize my previous experiences with them are not inferior in any way.

Is there a pattern for that crochet work? It'd be fun to make one.

View Likes PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:19 am 

OK, this looks bad.

Blog: View Blog (11)

I know no one has posted on this topic in a while, but I'm a massive Pratchett fan so I have to say something!

Not sure what that something is though. Hmm...

Oh! I'm currently reading his sort-of-ish autobiography: 'A Slip of the Keyboard'. It started with an introduction from Neil Gaiman which made me cry a little, has been full of whitty Pratchett-isms and is full of great hints for writers as well and I am only on page 89.

One example I particularly liked was Pratchett said that he wrote his books with 'The Valley Filled With Clouds' technique. You know what? I'm going to quote it, here we go:

Quote:
But it's what I call 'The Valley Filled With Clouds' technique. You're at the edge of the valley, and there is a church steeple, and there is a tree, and there is a rocky outcrop, but the rest of it is mist. But you know that because they exist, there must be ways of getting from one to the other that you cannot see. And so you start the journey. And when I write, I write a draft entirely for myself, just to walk the valley and find what the book is going to be all about.

For a guy like me, who worries about messing up his writing right from day one, (and generally gives up because of it) I really like the idea of just taking a draft for myself to see what it's all about.

Anyway, nice to know there are other Pratchett fans here!

View Likes PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:15 pm 

SunkenTreasure wrote:
I know no one has posted on this topic in a while, but I'm a massive Pratchett fan so I have to say something!

We don't take that too seriously here! c: I think it's awesome you went digging to find this topic.
SunkenTreasure wrote:
But it's what I call 'The Valley Filled With Clouds' technique. You're at the edge of the valley, and there is a church steeple, and there is a tree, and there is a rocky outcrop, but the rest of it is mist. But you know that because they exist, there must be ways of getting from one to the other that you cannot see. And so you start the journey. And when I write, I write a draft entirely for myself, just to walk the valley and find what the book is going to be all about.

'The Valley Filled With Clouds' is a super good thing and I'm glad you've introduced it to me, because it just makes so much sense, y'know? I think I plan too much ahead or either not enough ahead, and I dunno which is worse, truth be told. Regardless, it's a really neat analogy.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:32 am 

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ Cruel and Unusual ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

Blog: View Blog (5)

Pratchett has had more of an influence on my writing than probably anyone else... especially as far as specific writers go. He showed me you can be both very silly and very serious in the same book.