All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:06 pm 

It's not something you should wish to take.

Blog: View Blog (0)

Well, I was suggested that I create this thread in order draw some of us here who are fans of anime and have a discussion regarding the matter.

You can talk about the things you have watched or are currently watching, any recommendations, questions, comments, just generally anything relating to anime and manga.

To start discussions, what anime or manga are you following right now and plan to follow?

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:06 pm 

the stars look very different today ★

Medals: 5
Original RP (1) 1st Year (1)
2nd Year (1) Most Helpful Member (1)

This list includes anime or manga I have followed and finished, or are currently following.

-Takes a deep breath-
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-Kun (high recommendation for those who like satire on shoujo steriotypes and themes)
Mairunovitch
Fairy Tail
The Gamer
Free
Princess Jellyfish
Hapi Mari (smutty but interesting)
Dengeki Daisy
Sket Dance (highly recommend for those who like laughter and extreme feels)
Barakamon (a really good slice of life with an adorable secondary character)
No Game No Life
Puchidols (cute 4koma based on the idolm@sters game)
1/2 Prince
Ouran High School Host Club (if you have watched the anime and have not read the manga, please do. So much more closure, and the love triangle gets real intense)
07 Ghost
Durarara
Kyo Kara Mao
A Silent Voice (very good slice of life, follows the topic of forgiveness)
Madoka Magika
It's Not My Fault I'm Not Popular (a light, funny manga / anime about a girl with no life)
Denpa Kyoushi
Clannad
My Mental Choice Are Interfering With My High School Romance Comedy
Silver Spoon (another great alice of life with fun, down to earth charaters. Also teaches you about agriculture)
Love, Chuunibyo, and Other Delusions
Baka and Test (for those of you that likes dirty humour, this is for you)
Inuyasha
Tokyo Mew Mew (first anime I ever watched)
Naruto (the ending was extremely lame, amiright?)
Kamisama Hajimemashite (extremely steriotypical shoujo, but addictive. Like Inuyasha but with less fight scenes and a faster pace. Plus the main character's a god)
Digimon
Sailor Moon
Shugo Chara
Bobobobobobobo (makes no sense at all, is stupidly brain-blowingly hilarous)
Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha

Feel free to talk to me about any of these! I will add more as I remember them x3

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:13 pm 

You have Puchidols but not Idolmaster there, have you seen the anime of it?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:16 pm 

the stars look very different today ★

Original RP (1) 1st Year (1)
2nd Year (1) Most Helpful Member (1)

I watched the first episode and wasn't completely interested in it xD I might watch the second in time, I just haven't gotten around to it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:50 pm 

Well, to be honest, it isn't that interesting at first, but you'll like it. Maybe. I like it myself.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 3:26 am 

One of my favorite anime is "Ginga Densetsu Weed". It's a pretty old anime and no one I know has ever heard of it. But it is pretty awesome! (If you don't mind talking animals lol) I recommend it. If I remember correctly, I watched the whole thing in Japanese with English subs on youtube. But that was a while back, so I don't know if it's still on there.

Other anime I like is:
Fruits Basket
School Rumble
Pokemon (First Season)
Paranoia Agent
Death Note
Black Butler
Wolf's Rain
Elfen Lied
Hellsing
Samurai Champloo
FLCL
Gunslinger Girl
Ranma 1/2 (One of the first anime I have ever seen)

What are some good manga reads out there? I'd love to get some new manga at my local Barnes and Noble!

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 3:39 am 

eyy, senpai!

Medals: 14
GM of the Month (1) Longest RP (2)
Completed RP (1) Best Entrance (1)
Blog: View Blog (3)

Everyone go watch the Ghost Stories ADV English dub right this instant.

You will never be the same again afterward.

View Likes PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 3:48 am 

Haha. I think my brother was watching "Ghost Stories" the other day. He was saying the voice actors got to say whatever they wanted, or something like that. The little I glimpsed here and there was pretty funny. :)

View Likes PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 3:05 pm 

I'm quite surprised by the number of Anime on here that I've recognized and seen. There's also a huge amount that you guys mentioned, of which I have no clue or knowledge. In any case, here's a list of most of the anime/manga I've seen/read: (Off the top of my head)

Series that I think are truly good and fully recommend are bolded.

1. Cowboy Bebop
  2. Ranma 1/2
  3. Maison Ikkoku
  4. Neon Genesis Evangelion
  5. Robotech (Really Love this one)
  6. Dragon Ball Z
  7. Outlaw Star
  8. Yu Yu Hakusho
  9. Dears
  10. Ouran Host Club (I'm so ashamed. <_<)
  11. Fruits Basket
  12. Death Note
  13. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
  14. Ghost in the Shell: 2nd Gig
  15. Sword art Online
  16. Knights of Sidonia
  17. Full Metal Alchemist
  18. Bleach
  19. And others...

Alas, I haven't really kept up with much of the Anime scene these days. I do stay within the orbit of the subculture, of course, but I've found a general overarching pattern to anime that's sort of rubbed my the wrong way. It's the angst, or rather, the pervasive self-doubt and crippling selfl-loathing that so many anime characters espouse.

I hadn't realized it at first, but over time I noticed more and more that so many primary characters blame themselves for so many things. I've looked into this, and it would seem that it's actually a common japanese cultural trait, to blame oneself for things that go bad, or for horrible events.

I've also noticed that the trend in Japanese anime is towards shows that demonstrates more and more increasingly a level, how do you say, repression. Just likes movies and cartoons in western culture represent our own fantasies, the anime culture of japan represents the fantasies of a vast class of people. This is the nature, the very definition and purpose of literature and entertainment, of course, and nothing wrong with it in its own right.

But as of late, I've begun to feel that the fantasies espoused by these shows are becoming more and more... disturbing. Take, for example, just a few of the more modern shows: Death Note, Attack on Titan, Tokyo Ghoul.

In each of these animes, there is a strong undercurrent of subtle anger and critique against authority. Indeed, for a culture that values conformity so much, the main characters of these animes almost seem to be submerged in a state of pent up aggression and anger, frustration against authority and the status quo. Later shows are getting more explicity about this, too.

For example, Death Note is about someone who literally is given the ability to overthrow the system, in a nutshell. Attack on Titan has a strong theme with respect to who the "real" monsters are. Indeed, there appears to be some conspiracy going on, and the Titans themselves might actually be created by humans higher up on the food chain. Likewise, Tokyo Ghoul has a scene in one of the episodes, where the main character is explicitly told that all that he has learned as a human in false and idiotic, and that the character should give in and indulge in... well, hurting others.

At the end of the episode, he does indeed do that. In fact, Tokyo Ghoul is probably the most explicit about encouraging this sort of stuff.

The thing is, I'm not saying that people are going to watch anime and then become mass sociopaths. Not at all. I'm still very interested in the Anime world, and what is going in within it. But I do feel, however, that the increasingly brutal and disturbing nature of the anime genre is not without significance. I'm concerned about what is going to happen, though I do not know myself where this is going to lead. I just recall, that repression never works. Pent up frustration and anger always finds a way to explode.

Ah, I'm sorry for writing this long post. I've been thinking about this for a while, and didn't mean to explicitly write out my thoughts here in my reply. It just sort of finally came out. Oh, by the way, Ivan the Mouse, I really like the character in your sig. Is it an original character? Or is it from an anime?

=D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:43 am 

The Scarlet Harlot of CF

Medals: 9
1st Year (1) 2nd Year (1)
3rd Year (1) Most Dedicated (1)
Blog: View Blog (10)

So I assume this is where we list suggestions for anime. I will list them based on my current watching list that I like, or have seen recently.

1. Grisaia
2.Kuroku no basket
3.Tokyo ghoul
4.Log Horizon
5.Magic Kaito
6.Kekkai sensen
7.Death parade
8. Aldnoah zerO

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:14 am 

eyy, senpai!

Medals: 14
GM of the Month (1) Longest RP (2)
Completed RP (1) Best Entrance (1)
Blog: View Blog (3)

A BERSERK ADAPTATION THAT'S FINALLY SOMETHING OTHER THAN GOLDEN AGE ARC

TOOK EM LONG ENOUGH

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:45 am 

I can't wait for Love Live's movie. Finished the anime not too long ago, so I'm just waiting.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:23 am 

In the past I've seen Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, as well some episodes here and there of Sword Art Online and Kill la Kill. Currently I'm watching Attack on Titan C:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:02 am 

I'm currently following Miss Monochrome, Sore ga Seiyuu, Himouto and Cinderella Girls.

You can say that I am a moe watcher.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:37 pm 
Subscriber

1st Year (1) 2nd Year (1)
3rd Year (1) Supporter (1)
Blog: View Blog (1)

Would be too much to post all my anime here

Basically anything in my list with a 9 or higher is a really good watch

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:50 am 

I'm currently watching Sore ga Seiyuu and Himouto. Pretty cutesy.