All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Music Chatter
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:27 pm 

It's my party, and I'll cry if I want to

Owner

Location: Within the darkest recesses of your mind, plucking at your heartstrings.
Medals: 8
Dedicated Partner (1) Creative (1)
1st Year (1) 2nd Year (1)
Blog: View Blog (15)

Alright, I know we have a plethora of people on here who love music (whether it be playing, singing, or listening) so I thought I'd start a musical chatter thread. Is there a performer or a band that you've happened across that you adore? What is it about them that draws you in? What style do you find yourself gravitating toward? Is there anything you prefer and other things you'll avoid like the plague?

If you're the sort who plays, what do you find yourself playing more frequently? Is there a key you gravitate toward? Is there something that you find yourself writing about (if you're a song writer) more than anything else, whether it be merely the feeling conveyed in your piece or a topic you find your lyrics portraying more often than not?

- - - - - -

Please remember this isn't a bashing thread so don't make the thread a debate on who's more autotuned, but I'm honestly curious to see what everyone here likes. Who knows? Maybe it'll broaden my own musical horizons, whether I'm playing or merely expanding what I listen to.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
 Post subject: Re: Music Chatter
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:29 pm 

Sort of back.

Medals: 16
Longest RP (1) Completed RP (2)
Dedicated Partner (1) Most Patient (3)
Blog: View Blog (59)

Okay, I'll bite. I mean, I'll start.

I'm a big, huge, deeply in love Elvis fan. That man's voice gives me the chills.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare on VKShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:10 pm 

Administrator

Medals: 13
Best Death (1) Best Group RP (1)
Completed RP (1) Dedicated Partner (1)
Blog: View Blog (0)

Shadow Lady wrote:
I'm a big, huge, deeply in love Elvis fan. That man's voice gives me the chills.

^
Seconded.

Elvis is just... <3

Older music in general is nice. Whenever I'm waiting for the bus, or walking home, or am just alone, I always put on my Ella Fitzgerald station on Pandora. I even bought an Elvis and an Ella CD and ripped it to Window's Media Player.

My music mood tends to be all over the place, but older stuff is what I find myself listening to the most if all else fails.

I will admit, too, I like some older rap. I can't stand any of the new music that comes out these days, personally. Every now and then I'll go listen to an old Eminem or 50 Cent song.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:21 pm 

the stars look very different today ★

Medals: 5
Original RP (1) 1st Year (1)
2nd Year (1) Most Helpful Member (1)

One of my favourite bands of all time is and always will be The Beatles. Each song is so unique, and the amazing difference between eah song's style is astonishing. Take the comparison of 'Eleanor Rigby' (which is, by the way, my favourite song by them) and 'Twist and Shout' (not their creation, but you have admit they pretty much own it). Although I always have to forget the fact that their band name is an extremely lame pun on 'beetle' and 'beat' xD

Another genre (loose term there) I love is Vocaloid. They're basically robots that sing, not like obviously robotic, but as human-sounding as possible. It's very popular in Japan, so most of the songs are in Japanese, but don't let that turn you off! The songs are also very extensive, from 'Death Should Not Have Taken Thee!' to 'Deep Sea Girl'. I love it because it can be very techno-y and classical and rock and heavy metal all at the same time and it is absolutely glorious c: My favourite Vocaloid would be Len Kagamine.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:33 pm 

Sort of back.

Medals: 16
Longest RP (1) Completed RP (2)
Dedicated Partner (1) Most Patient (3)
Blog: View Blog (59)

I also have specific songs I can pinpoint that I like singing (I'm not a great or even good singer, but I really enjoy it, it's very therapeutic), like What a wonderful world (Louis Armstrong), Patience (Guns n' Roses), and others I will probably put here once I remember.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:07 pm 

Administrator

You guys have awesome tastes.

You know? I can never stop listening to Modest Mouse. They're my go-to, have been for awhile. I didn't like them at first but then they slowly grew on me and now I'm addicted. Can't get enough.

'Black Cadillacs' is my life right now.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:30 pm 

Medals: 1
Dedicated Partner (1)

Breaking Benjamin is my go to thing. Has been since I was 12 lol. Their new album comes out in june and their new single comes out on Monday. I've debated on sleeping til then so I don't have to wait in waking anticipation.

"Who put bacon in the soap?!?!?!" - Zim

I'm writing this story! It's called The Legends of Kal'duune. You can comment about things you like or hate, but preferably the first thing, here!

This thing is my resume! Reeeeaad iiiiiit...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:55 am 

Cotton wrote:
Another genre (loose term there) I love is Vocaloid. They're basically robots that sing, not like obviously robotic, but as human-sounding as possible. It's very popular in Japan, so most of the songs are in Japanese, but don't let that turn you off! The songs are also very extensive, from 'Death Should Not Have Taken Thee!' to 'Deep Sea Girl'. I love it because it can be very techno-y and classical and rock and heavy metal all at the same time and it is absolutely glorious c: My favourite Vocaloid would be Len Kagamine.

My music teacher in middle-school told our class about Vocaloids years back, and since then I've been listening to them on and off. I'm not very deep into the fandom, but my favourite Vocaloids/Utau's are MEIKO, KAITO, Gakupo and Namine Ritsu.

My favourite band, Von Hertzen Brothers, released their new album last friday, and I've been listening to it non-stop for almost five days. I really like it (though it doesn't beat my favourite album from them) and I just can't stop listening to it!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:03 pm 

I am a Metal and Dubstep fan. I love them both. Its odd because almost everyone from the region i come from listens to country music which i dispise. Not all country music just a vast majority of it. Mostly i just enjoy fast angry metal music or deep bassed EDM/Dubstep

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:54 pm 

I like a little bit of everything except for most modern rap-pop. I really love instrumental and alternative, and a Capella just makes me happy. I play the saxophone and I love it so much!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:41 pm 

Medals: 1
Dedicated Partner (1)

Unfurth youda man. Have you heard of Blue Stahli or Cell Dweller???

"Who put bacon in the soap?!?!?!" - Zim

I'm writing this story! It's called The Legends of Kal'duune. You can comment about things you like or hate, but preferably the first thing, here!

This thing is my resume! Reeeeaad iiiiiit...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:17 am 

Medals: 3
Adaptive (1) 1st Year (1)
2nd Year (1)

I'll take a swing I guess.

I love the golden age bands of Rock and Roll. And I mean from around the 60-70. I'm even going to see AC/DC! But my number one band would have to be Led Zeppelin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:21 am 

Been over on Rolplay Repository for a bit. Currently retired.

Blog: View Blog (2)

I've always been a bit of old school rocker, having been exposed to the CDs and records of my parents and grandparents, but through my teen years, I expanded my musical influences into U.S. blues, Euro pagen folk, and Middle Eastern music.

Asteria wrote:
Is there a performer or a band that you've happened across that you adore? What is it about them that draws you in? What style do you find yourself gravitating toward?

Where do I start? My grandparents got me to appreciate the mighty Led Zeppelin and their predecessors The Yardbirds, Johnny Cash, Ray Charles, and the Rolling Stones. I like their early stuff up to Goats Head Soup. My folks got me into Blondie, The Ramones, and Talking Heads. But I have to say I discovered Faun on my own, and Omnia, and Vas/Niyaz, and Stellamara among others. I could go on and on. Anyway, hope nobody minds I dig up these threads that have been inactive for a couple years.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
-Piter DeVries

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when my fear is gone I will turn and face fear's path, and only I will remain.
-Paul Atreides

~My RP Resume~ ~ ~My Characters~

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:17 pm 

Administrator

Oh man, I totally forgot about this thread. Nothing wrong with reviving things.

It's cool to see another Faun fan! I discovered them through a CD that had a bunch of mixed songs on it.

As far as playing goes, I started playing guitar last year. It's an accoustic, Luna. I'll post a picture when I get home from work.

I'm not very good, and honestly don't practice consistently enough, but it's something. Maybe I'll play something for you all one day.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:30 am 

Been over on Rolplay Repository for a bit. Currently retired.

Blog: View Blog (2)

I discovered Faun whe they came on a playlist when I was on Omnia radio on Pandora (before Pandora abandoned Australia). I'm watching/listening to their 2010 Lyansa song on youtube right now. My dream is to go to Castlefest someday.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
-Piter DeVries

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when my fear is gone I will turn and face fear's path, and only I will remain.
-Paul Atreides

~My RP Resume~ ~ ~My Characters~